BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> UK to ban petroleum and diesel cars by 2040
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Do you agree with the ban?
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total votes: 23
Guests cannot vote 
danG
post 26th July 2017, 12:54 PM
Post #1
Group icon
🔥🚀🔥
User: 11,746

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-40723581

What do we think? I think it's good that they're trying to cut down on air pollution
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
awardinary
post 26th July 2017, 12:57 PM
Post #2
Group icon
Here to play, here to stay
Pronouns: he/him
User: 21,587

Not good. As a driver, I am furious about this plan. How do you expect other petrolheads will react to it! mad.gif

+Quote this post
Brett-Butler
post 26th July 2017, 01:29 PM
Post #3
Group icon
Howdy, disco citizens
User: 10,455

If the ban were to come into effect from next year, I would be furious. However, 2040 gives the UK over 20 years to get the infrastructure in place to accommodate the switch to electric cars, so whether I agree or not with this will really depend on whether we see an great rise in electric car charge ports to ready for the switch.

As for now, at the moment I would never dream of owning an electric car. In Belfast, there are very few charge ports, and those that are there are very limiting in terms of where they are based. Also, the charge times are very limiting - even the fastest charge takes 30 minutes, compared to just a few minutes for petrol, and the battery's power, even when full, doesn't come anywhere near to matching the mileage of a full petrol engine. It is cheaper than petrol, and there are currently a lot of incredibly generous government grants available if you want to buy an electric car, but at today's technology, it doesn't seem worth it.

I am confident that the technology will be in place for 2040, so I'm reconciling to the fact that the next car I buy will probably be my last ever petrol car.

And I have a feeling that the banning of petrol cars is going to be a major political football in the years to follow, so watch this space.

+Quote this post
Silas
post 26th July 2017, 01:29 PM
Post #4
Group icon
Queen of Soon
User: 3,474

I'm not a fan of the ban. But only because I'm yet to be convinced of the ability of battery power to be environmentally friendly (as battery construction is nasty AF) and provide the distance capabilities of diesel or a hybrid.

Plus the viability of hydrogen power is still sketchy af.

As tech progresses I'll no doubt change my mind. But as we stand now and what we're able to confidently say is in the pipeline doesn't have me fully convinced that it's the right thing.

Environmentally yes it's the right thing and will be fab for polution levels in the city

+Quote this post
Klaus
post 26th July 2017, 01:47 PM
Post #5
Group icon
❤️❤️➕🟦
User: 17,160

I agree that the techonology surrounding electric cars needs to be rapidly advanced because I really wouldn't ever dream of having one currently and I still find the idea ridiculous.

Obviously this is a good/necessary idea to protect our planet but I'm just yet to be convinced by the alternative.

+Quote this post
Envoirment
post 26th July 2017, 02:56 PM
Post #6
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 10,030

Support this 100%. Living in London this couldn't come sooner. I'm already seeing improvements to infrastructure for electric cars. I recently passed a charging station that I've never seen before with some cars charging up (on a street I've passed countless times). Given the ban is coming in 2040, the technology should advance enough to make electric cars very viable. There's a lot of money being pumped into electrical storage and electric cars in general. China is investing heavily as well as the US and various other countries.

In terms of environmental damage done by battery manufacturing, from my understanding some of that can be mitigated by recycling. So it would be nice to see a bigger push for recycling come 2040 to help off-set some of the costs of making batteries. Although we don't know what sort of technology will exist in 2040. We could have batteries made from materials which are common and more environmentally friendly than current ones being used.

A great thing about this is that it'll help out renewable energy as well. One of the issues with reneweable energy is being able to store and reuse excess energy created. So research for energy storage for renewable energy or energy storage for electric cars could have break throughs which benefit both.

This post has been edited by Envoirment: 26th July 2017, 02:56 PM

+Quote this post
Suedehead2
post 26th July 2017, 07:22 PM
Post #7
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 3,272

With the date having been set so far in advance there is plenty of scope for changing it if circumstances dictate. That could even mean bringing it forward if technology improves faster than expected.

If the time taken to recharge a battery continues to be an issue then other options should be considered. For example, drivers could simply swap their battery for a fully charged one. The discharged battery can then be charged for somebody else to use.

+Quote this post
Silas
post 26th July 2017, 07:42 PM
Post #8
Group icon
Queen of Soon

Renaults initial model for its electric cars did invision that model but the infrastructure doesn't seem to have happened with its partner going bankrupt before the models were launched.

Rapid chargers are a good start but until we're in a place where you can charge it in nearly the same time as filling a fuel tank were not going to see a wholesale mass market switch. Range anxiety continues to be the thing that holds back electric cars.

+Quote this post
Suedehead2
post 26th July 2017, 07:55 PM
Post #9
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

Another possibility to improve battery life may be solar energy. I doubt the technology is anywhere near good enough at the moment, but it may be possible to have solar panels on the car roof which could be used to charge the battery. There is currently a lot of research going on into using windows as solar panels which would have less of an impact on the look of the car. None of this would eliminate the need to charge the battery in the same way as now, but it could help to increase the time a fully charged battery lasts.

+Quote this post
Silas
post 26th July 2017, 07:59 PM
Post #10
Group icon
Queen of Soon

The Nissan Leaf has a solar panel towards the back of its roof that is used to run auxiliary systems

+Quote this post
Suedehead2
post 26th July 2017, 08:50 PM
Post #11
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

I'm not going completely into the realms of fantasy then.

+Quote this post
Soy Adrián
post 26th July 2017, 09:34 PM
Post #12
Group icon
I'm so lonely, I paid a hobo to spoon with me
User: 10,596

I think I echo the general feeling a few people have posted. This won't come in for 23 years - go that far back and consider where we were with electric car technology in 1994 compared to where we are now. It's a good target to aim for.

+Quote this post
TheSnake
post 26th July 2017, 10:36 PM
Post #13
Group icon
Say that hiss with your chest, and...
User: 23,308

QUOTE(awardinary @ Jul 26 2017, 01:57 PM) *
How do you expect other petrolheads will react to it! mad.gif

I thought the word 'petrolhead' meant someone just liked cars, not literally meaning they liked petrol? unsure.gif

+Quote this post
Brett-Butler
post 26th July 2017, 11:11 PM
Post #14
Group icon
Howdy, disco citizens
User: 10,455

QUOTE(Sir Hissington @ Jul 26 2017, 11:36 PM) *
I thought the word 'petrolhead' meant someone just liked cars, not literally meaning they liked petrol? unsure.gif

I doubt you'd find any "petrolhead" driving a Toyota Prius.

+Quote this post
vidcapper
post 27th July 2017, 06:28 AM
Post #15
Group icon
Paul Hyett
User: 364

We can all understand *why* this ban has been suggested, but ISTM little thought has been given to the practicalities.

Electric cars only have a limited range, and take hours to charge up - hardly practical for anything more than short range commuting!

+Quote this post
Doctor Blind
post 27th July 2017, 06:36 AM
Post #16
Group icon
#38BBE0 otherwise known as 'sky blue'
User: 7,561

The point about the National Grid is very relevant, it can barely cope with current demand as it is.

+Quote this post
Soy Adrián
post 27th July 2017, 07:53 AM
Post #17
Group icon
I'm so lonely, I paid a hobo to spoon with me
User: 10,596

QUOTE(vidcapper @ Jul 27 2017, 07:28 AM) *
We can all understand *why* this ban has been suggested, but ISTM little thought has been given to the practicalities.

Electric cars only have a limited range, and take hours to charge up - hardly practical for anything more than short range commuting!

...which is improving all the time. Like I said, think back to what electric cars were like 20 years ago. There's a lot of industry money being invested in them now, the technology is going to keep improving.

+Quote this post
Suedehead2
post 27th July 2017, 08:53 AM
Post #18
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

QUOTE(vidcapper @ Jul 27 2017, 07:28 AM) *

1) Things will have changed by 2040. Just look at how much has changed in the last 23 years.

2) Look at my suggestions for potential ways of overcoming the current problems with battery power even with current technology.

+Quote this post
vidcapper
post 27th July 2017, 09:36 AM
Post #19
Group icon
Paul Hyett
User: 364

QUOTE(Suedehead2 @ Jul 27 2017, 09:53 AM) *
1) Things will have changed by 2040. Just look at how much has changed in the last 23 years.

2) Look at my suggestions for potential ways of overcoming the current problems with battery power even with current technology.

But there's no *guarantee* that electric car efficiency will have improved enough by then, and besides, the fuel saved will have to be used in power stations to generate the extra electricity needed.

As for solar panels - in the UK, especially in winter, really? tongue.gif

This post has been edited by vidcapper: 27th July 2017, 09:38 AM

+Quote this post
Suedehead2
post 27th July 2017, 10:40 AM
Post #20
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

QUOTE(vidcapper @ Jul 27 2017, 10:36 AM) *
But there's no *guarantee* that electric car efficiency will have improved enough by then, and besides, the fuel saved will have to be used in power stations to generate the extra electricity needed.

As for solar panels - in the UK, especially in winter, really? tongue.gif

Did I say that solar panels were a complete solution? A clue - the answer is No.

As I said earlier, if technology doesn't improve as much as is hoped, the date can be changed. OTOH, if things move faster than anticipated, it can be brought forward.

+Quote this post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 26th April 2024, 10:58 AM