BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> New England squad
Track this thread | Email this thread | Print this thread | Download this thread | Subscribe to this forum
Rooney
post 31st January 2008, 05:49 PM
Post #1
Group icon
WINTER IS COMING
User: 88

Goalkeepers: David James (Portsmouth), Scott Carson (Liverpool on loan at Aston Villa), Chris Kirkland (Wigan)

Defenders: Wayne Bridge (Chelsea), Ashley Cole (Chelsea), Curtis Davies (West Brom on loan at Aston Villa), Rio Ferdinand (Manchester United), Glen Johnson (Portsmouth), Ledley King (Tottenham Hotspur), Nicky Shorey (Reading), Wes Brown (Manchester United), Joleon Lescott (Everton), Micah Richards (Manchester City), Matthew Upson (West Ham United), Jonathan Woodgate (Tottenham Hotspur)

Midfielders: Michael Carrick (Manchester United), Steven Gerrard (Liverpool), Gareth Barry (Aston Villa), Jermaine Jenas (Tottenham Hotspur), Owen Hargreaves (Manchester United), Joe Cole (Chelsea), Ashley Young (Aston Villa), Stewart Downing (Middlesbrough), Shaun Wright-Phillips (Chelsea), David Bentley (Blackburn Rovers)

Forwards: Emile Heskey (Wigan Athletic), Gabriel Agbonlahor (Aston Villa), Michael Owen (Newcastle United), Wayne Rooney (Manchester United), Peter Crouch (Liverpool)

I'm very suprised that Robert Green isn't in the squad...
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
ChopStick
post 31st January 2008, 06:22 PM
Post #2
Group icon
Mystic Referee
User: 33

I hope Wayne Bridge plays ahead of Ashley.

+Quote this post
JamesP
post 31st January 2008, 06:24 PM
Post #3
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 4,443

QUOTE(ChapStick @ Jan 31 2008, 06:23 PM) *
I hope Wayne Bridge plays ahead of Ashley.

Same. I hope Ashley rots away to nothing for all i care sleep.gif
Poor Robbo though, he's been so badly treated by the media sad.gif

+Quote this post
RabbitFurCoat
post 31st January 2008, 07:03 PM
Post #4
Group icon
IncredibleSquirrel
User: 118

Whether the media love him or hate him no player who makes that many howlers should be in the England squad. Bizzare inclusion of David James...

+Quote this post
Cassidy
post 1st February 2008, 11:40 PM
Post #5
Group icon
i'm massive
User: 41

And the Michael Owen-England love affair continues..

+Quote this post
TheFletch
post 2nd February 2008, 12:19 AM
Post #6
Group icon
Don't f***ing Jimmy me Jules!
User: 289

I thought this was about the NFL for a moment...

+Quote this post
JamesP
post 2nd February 2008, 10:32 AM
Post #7
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 4,443

QUOTE(RabbitFurCoat @ Jan 31 2008, 07:04 PM) *
Whether the media love him or hate him no player who makes that many howlers should be in the England squad. Bizzare inclusion of David James...

The word 'howlers' is only used by the media for Robbo. You notice how any other goalie it's just a simple mistake? Just because of the incident in Croatia?

Anyway, i cant believe Beckham has been left out. Surely Capello realises that the England team picked up when Macca put him back in?

+Quote this post
Grandwicky
post 2nd February 2008, 11:58 AM
Post #8
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 49

QUOTE(JamesP @ Feb 2 2008, 10:33 AM) *
The word 'howlers' is only used by the media for Robbo. You notice how any other goalie it's just a simple mistake? Just because of the incident in Croatia?

Anyway, i cant believe Beckham has been left out. Surely Capello realises that the England team picked up when Macca put him back in?

He's only left him because of doubts over his match fitness apparently, he's still his plans as is Aaron Lennon too but I think David Bentley is more than capable of taking his place and its about time he got his chance to shine properly.

+Quote this post
thisispop
post 2nd February 2008, 08:42 PM
Post #9
Group icon
I've got an iPod classic and I'm gonna use it!
User: 72

Last Updated: Saturday, 2 February 2008, 20:29 GMT
BBC Sport News
Capello keeps Agbonlahor in squad

Uncapped Gabriel Agbonlahor kept his place in Fabio Capello's first England squad but Curtis Davies is out after the 30-man party was reduced to 23.
Striker Emile Heskey had to withdraw after earlier suffering a nerve problem in Wigan's 1-0 win over West Ham.

Ledley King is also out through injury while Stewart Downing and Michael Carrick were among the five dropped for Wednesday's friendly with Switzerland.
Nicky Shorey, Glenn Johnson were the others to be left out, with Davies.

David Beckham was left out of the initial squad, leaving him stuck on 99 international appearances, because of doubts over his match fitness.

Capello, who also omitted Tottenham goalkeeper Paul Robinson, said: "I want to be clear that the players who have not made the squad this time are still part of my plans.

"We will be monitoring the form of everyone very closely as we work towards the competitive matches which start in September.
"It is of course a blow to lose Ledley King from the squad. He is a very good player who has impressed me a lot when I have seen him play.
"I am fully aware of his injury status after speaking with Juande Ramos on Friday.
"Emile Heskey's injury is disappointing too, but we have to concentrate on the players who are in the squad.

Capello also revealed he will reveal his choice for captain on Tuesday but added: "I don't expect to appoint a permanent captain until we start the qualifying games.
"I want to work closely with the players before deciding on this.
"I'm looking forward to working with them on the training ground. There is a lot of work to do but I am ready for the challenge.
"We have seven months to prepare for our first competitive match, but the work really starts now."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

England's squad to play Switzerland:

Goalkeepers: David James (Portsmouth), Scott Carson (Liverpool on loan at Aston Villa), Chris Kirkland (Wigan)

Defenders: Wayne Bridge (Chelsea), Ashley Cole (Chelsea), Rio Ferdinand (Manchester United), Wes Brown (Manchester United), Joleon Lescott (Everton), Micah Richards (Manchester City), Matthew Upson (West Ham United), Jonathan Woodgate (Tottenham Hotspur)

Midfielders: Steven Gerrard (Liverpool), Gareth Barry (Aston Villa), Jermaine Jenas (Tottenham Hotspur), Owen Hargreaves (Manchester United), Joe Cole (Chelsea), Ashley Young (Aston Villa), Stewart Downing (Middlesbrough), Shaun Wright-Phillips (Chelsea), David Bentley (Blackburn Rovers)

Forwards: Gabriel Agbonlahor (Aston Villa), Michael Owen (Newcastle United), Wayne Rooney (Manchester United), Peter Crouch (Liverpool)

What do you think of the final 23 man squad?

+Quote this post
Rooney
post 2nd February 2008, 09:11 PM
Post #10
Group icon
WINTER IS COMING

I've never really noticed this before, but what really is the point of naming a 30 man squad only for it to be reduced to 23 a few days later? It makes no sense.

He's picked probably the best 23 players out of the 30 that were avaliable to him, but I do think Agbonlahor wouldn't have been picked had Heskey not got injured...

+Quote this post
thisispop
post 2nd February 2008, 09:15 PM
Post #11
Group icon

QUOTE(Rooney @ Feb 2 2008, 09:12 PM) *
I've never really noticed this before, but what really is the point of naming a 30 man squad only for it to be reduced to 23 a few days later? It makes no sense.

He's picked probably the best 23 players out of the 30 that were avaliable to him, but I do think Agbonlahor wouldn't have been picked had Heskey not got injured...

Because, that is what the Italian International Football Team and several other countries have done in the past.

Personally, I think it is a much better system then selecting a squad of 22, then needing to call up replacements like England have done in the past, because psychologically those replacements and the rest of the squad would know that they were towards the back of the manager's pecking order.

+Quote this post
Rooney
post 2nd February 2008, 09:21 PM
Post #12
Group icon
WINTER IS COMING

QUOTE(thisispop @ Feb 2 2008, 09:16 PM) *
Because, that is what the Italian International Football Team and several other countries have done in the past.

Personally, I think it is a much better system then selecting a squad of 22, then needing to call up replacements like England have done in the past, because psychologically those replacements and the rest of the squad would know that they were towards the back of the manager's pecking order.

I do agree it's a good idea. Means the players that have just missed out that were in the original squad know they're in the managers plans but they're not quite there yet so it'll give them that added encouragement of playing well for their club team.

Beckham will get his 100 caps eventually and regardless of how well serviced England over the past 20 years it's stupid to put him in the squad just so he can get his 100 caps over another player that's been playing regular football for the past few months.

+Quote this post
Mart!n
post 3rd February 2008, 01:19 PM
Post #13
Group icon
Infamy Infamy they all got it in for me
User: 2

In all.. its a good team, its a shame David Beckham won't get his 100th cap though.

I do think David James is a bit too old, I think Scott Carson should be given a chance of #1 goalkeeper

+Quote this post
Matt Aloud
post 3rd February 2008, 01:31 PM
Post #14
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 1,286

QUOTE(M!key @ Feb 3 2008, 01:20 PM) *
In all.. its a good team, its a shame David Beckham won't get his 100th cap though.

I do think David James is a bit too old, I think Scott Carson should be given a chance of #1 goalkeeper

Capello has not said he won't ever get his cap as some of the hysteric media were saying laugh.gif

He's not match fit, he doesn't play, same goes for anyone else.

+Quote this post
thisispop
post 3rd February 2008, 01:55 PM
Post #15
Group icon

QUOTE(Matt Aloud @ Feb 3 2008, 01:32 PM) *
Capello has not said he won't ever get his cap as some of the hysteric media were saying laugh.gif

He's not match fit, he doesn't play, same goes for anyone else.

England are due to play away against Trindad & Tobago on May 28th, and play away against the USA on June 1st.

I bet he gets his 100th cap in one of those two games.

+Quote this post
Tim Barnes
post 3rd February 2008, 01:59 PM
Post #16
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 7

Wasn't there a fallout between Beckham and Capello at Real when Capello was manager ?

Something like Beckham was on the bench all the time and the President demanded of Capello that he pick him or something ?

+Quote this post
Matt Aloud
post 3rd February 2008, 03:37 PM
Post #17
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 1,286

QUOTE(Vic Vega @ Feb 3 2008, 02:00 PM) *
Wasn't there a fallout between Beckham and Capello at Real when Capello was manager ?

Something like Beckham was on the bench all the time and the President demanded of Capello that he pick him or something ?

which then led to Beckham inspiring Madrid to win the title and the manager to get sacked laugh.gif

it's a funny old world is football

+Quote this post
DitzyNizzy
post 3rd February 2008, 04:23 PM
Post #18
Group icon
To Katy Perry: I shagged a girl. And I loved it.
User: 4,484

Especially since he picked Scott Carson - who ultimately cost you lot a place in Euro 2008. (Although why I'm posting in a thread about the England team is unknown.)

+Quote this post
Rooney
post 3rd February 2008, 06:45 PM
Post #19
Group icon
WINTER IS COMING

QUOTE(DitzyNizzy @ Feb 3 2008, 04:24 PM) *
Especially since he picked Scott Carson - who ultimately cost you lot a place in Euro 2008. (Although why I'm posting in a thread about the England team is unknown.)

Robinson has been guilty of a LOT of howlers though, for both Spurs and England - Carson has only made the one major howler. I'm still not convinced about Carson, he looses concentration too easily so unless he improves that he'll never be able to become a top, top class goalkeeper. Joe Hart will be England #1 within a year or so anyway.

+Quote this post
RabbitFurCoat
post 4th February 2008, 05:48 PM
Post #20
Group icon
IncredibleSquirrel
User: 118

Howlers, mistakes, whatever. No other goalie has made that many errors or mistakes in the Premiership this season and he's been rightfully dropped from both the Tottenham and England teams.

+Quote this post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 29th April 2024, 12:32 PM