BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> On Your Radar Reviews., If You See Reviews please upload them here/ Add your reviews next week
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
-0-0
post Nov 15 2011, 05:30 PM
Post #1
Group icon
🙄
User: 10,643
Maximum Pop!
Sometimes we're a bit mean about The Saturdays at MP!, It really is a love/hate relationship because when we opened an envelope earlier and their new album On Your Radar dropped onto the desk, we could barley contain our glee.
01. All Fired Up 8/10 " All Fired Up, We Feel Alive, All Fired Up, We Feel Alive" It took nine people to write All Fired Up. Nine and none of them were members of The Saturdays
02. Notorious 9/10
03. Faster 7/10 "Faster sounds a bit like Alexis Jordan Happiness but with a better chorus"
04. My Heart Takes Over 6/10 " My Heart Takes Over just not good enough Really"
05. Get Ready, Get Set 10/10 "Get Ready, Get Set is SO BLOODY GOOD 1/10 shaking and crying, ur faves could never etc etc
06. The Way You Watch Me 7/10 " Your Boy Travie is on this song. Better than Billionaire, less good than Stereo Hearts"
07. For Myself 5/10 " You Can Keep For Myself to yourself, that's fine, skips"
08. Do What You Want With Me 4/10 " It's a bit rubbish"
09. Promise Me 8/10 " It's much more like it! Lots of oh-oh-oh" and ee-ee-ee sounds. Dupstep breakdown"
10. Wish I Didin't Know 5/10 " I wish I didn't know, it's not that good basically"
11. White Lies 9/10 "White Lies is our second favorite, it's MASSIVE It's given me a bubble of joy"
12. Last Call 7/10 " Nice ballad"
13. I Say Ok 7/10 "Bonus Track, Very Good"
14. Move On U 5/10

We really enjoyed On Your Radar. It's the best Sats album sicne Chasing Lights We will probably play it again. Especially Get Ready, Get Set.

White Lies was also Popjustice's song of the day yesterday!
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
jark
post Nov 15 2011, 07:26 PM
Post #2
Group icon
something you consider rare
User: 2,990
I don't know what 'Maximum Pop' is but that's a sorry excuse for a review!

"Faster sounds a bit like Alexis Jordan Happiness but with a better chorus"

Except Happiness is one of the best songs of recent times and this implies it's a 6/10 or less. What a load of crap.

+Quote this post
2ndAdventure
post Nov 15 2011, 08:14 PM
Post #3
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 10,180
It's a 'better' review of the one Pop Justice gave 'Wordshaker' that once. An iTunes star rating. Pfft. The review is pants though. rolleyes.gif

+Quote this post
BrookeOlivia
post Nov 16 2011, 02:20 AM
Post #4
Group icon
Am just a girl who wishes for the world - Marilyn Monroe ♥
User: 11,449
Cant wait for this album, Hope it does well for them. smile.gif

+Quote this post
Slick
post Nov 21 2011, 12:07 PM
Post #5
Group icon
electric butterflies
Pronouns: he/him
User: 70
I have heard MIDDLING things about this album but I will listen nonetheless. Chasing Lights had the honour of being my most played album ever for a period of time so it has a lot to live up to!!

+Quote this post
jark
post Nov 21 2011, 12:49 PM
Post #6
Group icon
Rather bizarre 2-star Guardian review which seems to be under the impression that they're as popular as the Spice Girls:

QUOTE(Guardian)
Perennially short on tunes and heavy on lipgloss, the Saturdays have put out a third album to make you wish the music was as lovely and shiny as they are. They've professed to heading in a "clubbier" direction, which sadly means lots of boring bangers that are more filler than floor-filling. They're more convincing in syrupy power-ballad mode, and the high point is "My Heart Takes Over", a fist-pumping torch song replete with dramatic pre-chorus pauses and strings set firmly to "uplift". Devotion will remain unswerving, no doubt, for their millions of fans – and the band's similar number of sponsorship deals.

2/5.

QUOTE(Daily Star)
THEY'VE been on everyone’s radar for ages, just not always for their music – which could change thanks to their strongest songs, like the ridiculously catchy For Myself and Faster. It’ll have a few converts throwing their best girlband dance shapes.

7/10.

QUOTE(London 24)
More synth-addled dance-pop from this sanitised quintet, just in time to make it onto little Poppy’s Christmas list. But will it drive you to distraction by Boxing Day? Despite hopes that the synth-reliant, dead-behind-the-eyes Euro-dance bubble had popped, shrivelled up, been spat out and scraped into a sewer, its prevalence on this planet is yet further assured by The Saturdays’ fourth missive.

Opening gambit All Fired Up doesn’t bode well, the synth drills barely leaving a dent in your memory. But there is light at the end of the tunnel, if you can stop laughing at the Mr Potato Head-style cover long enough to find it. The taut-as-a-trampoline synths of Notorious are just as fun as they sound, and it’s on the pneumatic numbers that The Saturdays sound most assured - the pumped-up Get Ready, Get Set, and stomping Promise Me.

Half the album is thrill-free filler and dodgy attempts at heartfelt slowies, but the rest is passably poppy at least.

2/5.

QUOTE(Daily Express)
The heart always sinks when the members of a put-together group start talking about artistic control and taking part in the song-writing process. Yet whatever The Saturdays’ real input into this new album, it doesn’t seem to have damaged the brand too much. The songs veer from wall-of-sound dancefloor fillers to ballads. While the girls may be lovely and do lots for charity, there is not an original thought or sound on this collection but then maybe it’s not for groups like The Saturdays to take risks.

2/5.

+Quote this post
-0-0
post Nov 21 2011, 01:56 PM
Post #7
Group icon
🙄
User: 10,643
I am shocked the albums getting poor reviews, I think it's fantastic!

+Quote this post
Encore
post Nov 21 2011, 02:23 PM
Post #8
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 10,877
4Music

The Saturdays continue to go from strength to strength!

Girl bands don't traditionally have a high success rate, which makes the release of The Saturdays' fourth(!) album all the more remarkable.

Frankie, Mollie, Una, Vanessa and Rochelle are pretty much the only all-female act left standing, managing to avoid the in-fighting and line-up changes which have turned their rivals Sugababes into a real-life soap opera.

Musically, On Your Radar sees the girls in familiar territory. Aside from some mild flirtation with drum and bass (Do What You Want With Me) and dubstep (Promise Me), their latest album largely sticks to their successful electro-pop formula.

With its hooky chorus and slamming beats, White Lies is the best of the bunch, while the likes of Get Ready, Get Set and Faster will both have you reaching for your hairbrush and dancing shoes.

Their ballads are right on the money too. Break-up anthem Last Call sees the girls' vocals taking centre stage - and they more than rise to the challenge.

The only real dud here is their hook-up with Gym Class Heroes frontman Travie McCoy. The Way You Watch Me boasts some catchy guitar riffs, but it's let down by poor production and a lack of chemistry between the girls and Travie.

Only time will tell if The Saturdays can truly go the distance, but they've got every chance of doing so if they keep producing albums this strong.

Best tracks: White Lies, Last Call
Rating: 4 out of 5

+Quote this post
Qween
post Nov 21 2011, 02:37 PM
Post #9
Group icon
Schlagerdrottningen
User: 11,709
I agree very much with the Guardian review, aside from the comment about millions of fans natch.

+Quote this post
-Jay-
post Nov 21 2011, 03:52 PM
Post #10
Group icon
"Jayrusaleminians" - Umi.
User: 3,217
Ha, it'd help if they even had hundreds of thousands of fans (who bought their album).

+Quote this post
slowdown73
post Nov 21 2011, 06:27 PM
Post #11
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 1,031
I'm putting the album on my christmas list. Listened to clips on itunes and it doesnt sound as strong as their second album at the moment but has some good tracks. I don't think this will sell as well as their first album though.

+Quote this post
2ndAdventure
post Nov 21 2011, 07:01 PM
Post #12
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
Surprised this is getting bad/moderate reviews, but if you look at the target audience of those papers that have reviewed it, their hardly The Sats target audience.

+Quote this post
-Jay-
post Nov 21 2011, 08:06 PM
Post #13
Group icon
I'd buy that as an excuse if NME magazine was reviewing it, but a couple of those are tabloid newspaper reviews. I'm sure a lot of their fan base are tabloid readers.

+Quote this post
2ndAdventure
post Nov 21 2011, 09:03 PM
Post #14
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
QUOTE(-Jay- @ Nov 21 2011, 08:06 PM) *
I'm sure a lot of their fan base are tabloid readers.

You're probably right, but The Guardian? mellow.gif

+Quote this post
discoboii
post Nov 22 2011, 03:57 PM
Post #15
Group icon
Boo!
User: 9,460
I really like it.. would have benefited from coming out straight after All fired up, and maybe being about 3 tracks less. smile.gif

+Quote this post
2ndAdventure
post Nov 22 2011, 05:36 PM
Post #16
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
I don't get why people are saying it would have done better if they released it after All Fired Up. It would have done much worse. Dance does not specifically sell albums, and since The Saturdays are not album sellers it wouldn't have been that wise imo.

+Quote this post
-Jay-
post Nov 22 2011, 05:45 PM
Post #17
Group icon
I don't think it could have done much worse than it's currently doing. blush.gif

Releasing it directly off the back of their fastest selling single would have done no harm, I doubt. I don't particularly agree that a dance flavoured single is detrimental to selling an album... though I'm struggling to think of any examples of previous UK pop groups who went dance orientated, to compare it too. I'd say Girls Aloud Something Kinda Ooooh, but that was for a Greatest Hits.

There's seemingly a million and one excuses as to why they're not doing very well, but if I was to be harsh... they're just not very popular, and never really have been as an album selling act. What's quite worrying is that as well as that, they're verging on not being much of a singles selling act either.

+Quote this post
2ndAdventure
post Nov 22 2011, 05:47 PM
Post #18
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
QUOTE(-Jay- @ Nov 22 2011, 05:45 PM) *
I don't think it could have done much worse than it's currently doing. blush.gif

I personally don't think it's doing that bad. I said it would be Top 20 when we all did the poll a few weeks ago. As long as it outsells their first week opening sales for their past albums, then I'll be happy.

+Quote this post
shadow2009
post Nov 22 2011, 09:10 PM
Post #19
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 10,059
I just wish their label would play it safe for once.

Releasing two "safe" tracks like Faster and Get Ready Get Set, launch the album in March when there's zero compitition, release a ballad afterwards to keep the album stable and then maybe have a re-release or single release during Q4.

+Quote this post
jark
post Nov 22 2011, 09:30 PM
Post #20
Group icon
QUOTE(2ndAdventure @ Nov 22 2011, 05:47 PM) *
I personally don't think it's doing that bad. I said it would be Top 20 when we all did the poll a few weeks ago. As long as it outsells their first week opening sales for their past albums, then I'll be happy.

Sorry but judging by some of your previous posts in this topic you're a little lacking in objectivity and possibly a bit blinded by your desire for them to do well. This is an *awful* result. A 30k opening week is completely off the cards. What was their best opening week before this? 23k sticks in the memory, am I right? Take Pixie's position of #18 with sales of 18k. There's no way the Sats will be staying even over the course of the week so #18 is the very best they can hope for on Sunday. We're a week closer to Christmas so that could mean a maximum of about 21k. Personally I think they'll chart at #21 with 17k sold. Nothing about this situation is good.

+Quote this post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 users are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 10:53 PM