BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Enjoy Yourself ● album discussion, 2nd album ● 1989
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Liam.k.
post May 7 2020, 12:24 PM
Post #1
BuzzJack Idol
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 12,472

A thread to discuss everything about 1989's Enjoy Yourself.

1. Hand On Your Heart
2. Wouldn't Change a Thing
3. Never Too Late
4. Nothing to Lose
5. Tell Tale Signs
6. My Secret Heart
7. I'm Over Dreaming (Over You)
8. Tears On My Pillow
9. Heaven and Earth
10. Enjoy Yourself
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Padamic Tension
post May 7 2020, 01:13 PM
Post #2
BuzzJack Idol
Group: Members
Member No.: 845
   No Gallery Pics

Great idea having all the links to the albums and having threads for each album, il always enjoy an enjoy yourself thread as I just love the album. I was young when it was released and kinda wish I was older when it was so I could enjoy its huge success. I have great memories of the success of the singles but access to info in other countries was impossible to get back then.

+Quote Post
Padamic Tension
post May 7 2020, 02:17 PM
Post #3
BuzzJack Idol
   No Gallery Pics

Big standsouts from the album, i really wish there was better quality of these available, why why why didnt they make an official release of the anti tour so we could have good quality live versions of these songs.

Love the behind stuff from never to late,NTL is still my fave enjoy yourself single.

+Quote Post
Dannyboy
post May 7 2020, 03:55 PM
Post #4
BuzzJack Legend
Member No.: 632
   No Gallery Pics

Part of my actually prefers this to the debut except for Hand on your heart which I skip, I prefer I wouldn’t change a thing and Never too late. I over dreaming over you and Enjoy Yourself should have been the other singles

+Quote Post
Liam.k.
post May 7 2020, 04:40 PM
Post #5
BuzzJack Idol
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 12,472

QUOTE(Feel_The_Fever @ May 7 2020, 03:17 PM) *

Big standsouts from the album, i really wish there was better quality of these available, why why why didnt they make an official release of the anti tour so we could have good quality live versions of these songs.

That performance of 'I'm Over Dreaming' is what made me really fall for it after not being that familiar with the album at that point. I think the Anti Tour really highlighted how good some of those early songs are by putting them in modern day, live settings. Sometimes it can be easy to overlook them due to now outdated quality.

+Quote Post
Padamic Tension
post May 7 2020, 05:41 PM
Post #6
BuzzJack Idol
   No Gallery Pics

It's a great performance if only we could get better quality video. I think so many kylie songs need to be seen and heard live as its changed my opinion on a few songs. I'm over dreaming over you I have always loved but this live version made me even love it more and same with the title track.

+Quote Post
Padamic Tension
post May 7 2020, 07:22 PM
Post #7
BuzzJack Idol
   No Gallery Pics

I really expected pete waterman to name drop im over dreaming over you when picking out songs.

+Quote Post
Nina West
post May 8 2020, 01:14 AM
Post #8
We're all Glitter and Tears in the Moonlight...
Member No.: 19,846
   No Gallery Pics

My track by track review for 'Enjoy Yourself'

Hand On Your Heart
Kicking off the album in the usual Kylie style with this fantastic lead single which further cemented Kylie at the very top of her game by gaining her 3rd well deserved chart topper. The drum beat rolls and showcases her more mature hip sound, and giving us something a lot more slick than what had gone before. Yet still poppy enough to appeal to appeal to the masses and PWL's target audience.

Wouldn't Change A Thing
This funky summery anthem is single #2, and a fantastic choice to follow the mega smash hit 'HOYH'. Great guitar on the backing track and some cool keyboards on the final chorus's as well as some fun drum machine effects going on, that therefore creates a perfect pop masterpiece and of course yet another well deserved big hit.

Never Too Late
Simple in its construction and executed wonderfully in this gloriously fun pop number that you gotta admit is perfectly catchy, with some glossy production and just all round fun, and follows the previous 2 singles perfectly and still to this day ranks as one of her most memorable singles.

Nothing To Lose
So many tracks on this album could have been singles and here's one of them, with a similar style to the previous tracks and Kylie's subdued vocals in each verse, but becomes more bold as the song goes on. A definite strong moment on this album.

Tell Tale Signs
After 4 upbeat pop anthems, we finally have a ballad and its really nice. With a definite 1930's classic feel to it, a sad little number where Kylie demonstrates the awesome range and power of her voice. a short but very sweet little number.

My Secret Heart
Another slow number that perhaps isn't quite as strong as the previous tracks that's come before, but Kylie's vocals sound really great here as once again gives it everything and pulls off some amazing chords, highlighting just how great a singer she really is.

I'm Over Dreaming (Over You)
The pace really picks up in a really big way, with this thumping number with a very deep bass and a definite more clubby feel to it, with just a hint of some disco in there. Definitely one of the best moments on here and gives us a little hint of what's to come on further albums.

Tears On My Pillow
Back to the ballads now with this cover of Little Anthony and The Imperials 1958 hit was for her debut movie ‘The Delinquents’. Once again her voice shines and the production doesn't stray too far away from the original, but still a rather beautiful sounding song.

Heaven And Earth
Probably the weakest moment on here that doesn't really do much for me to be honest. However we do have some more superb vocals and some soaring music and a long instrumental fade away.

Enjoy Yourself
Back to the dancefloor with this brilliant album closer that ends things on an almighty BANG!, the bass on this song is thumping and continuous with keyboard programming that builds and builds throughout the chorus and by the time the song come to its end, its completely infectious and a riot of sound, this perfectly sets up what's to come on further albums and why wasn't this a single, surely it would have been another huge chart smash and so much lost potential.

+Quote Post
Dannyboy
post May 8 2020, 10:33 AM
Post #9
BuzzJack Legend
Member No.: 632
   No Gallery Pics

Love the track by track reviews, always great to see other people’s perspective of albums I love

+Quote Post
Padamic Tension
post May 8 2020, 10:33 AM
Post #10
BuzzJack Idol
   No Gallery Pics

Agree with all your opinions here. Heaven and earth is the weakest on the album but still not a bad song either. There def is hints of her future music on some of the tracks. Nothing to lose is a great album track and I prob over look it sometimes.

+Quote Post
___∆___
post May 9 2020, 08:17 PM
Post #11
BuzzJack Legend
Member No.: 3,155

Ah I love everything about this album and era - Kylie mania was fever pitch and this album was the sound of the year.

I remember back then always wanting ‘Enjoy Yourself’ to be released as a single - such a great song.

I wonder who won the meet Kylie competition that you got an entry form with on the poster that came with the first batch of the album.

+Quote Post
Padamic Tension
post May 9 2020, 09:53 PM
Post #12
BuzzJack Idol
   No Gallery Pics

I always wanted enjoy yourself to be a single, back then kylie was on the front cover of every teen pop magazine, had badges, patches you name it, it was a great time to a fan.

+Quote Post
pippa
post May 10 2020, 03:13 PM
Post #13
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 14,031
   No Gallery Pics

Enjoy Yourself would have made a perfect 3rd single following Wouldn't Change A Thing
That said, the album offered a large range of single options that some great songs always had to lose out.
Enjoy Yourself and Light Years both had this issue with choices for singles for which, has made them such wonderful albums to listen to.

+Quote Post
Padamic Tension
post May 10 2020, 03:50 PM
Post #14
BuzzJack Idol
   No Gallery Pics

Enjoy yourself is the type of album that fits into today's climate when 5 or 6 singles can work from an album and there is plenty to fit the bill here.

+Quote Post
pippa
post May 10 2020, 04:06 PM
Post #15
BuzzJack Legend
   No Gallery Pics

It had the standard of songs to serve up to 6 singles and in today's climate the album would have needed at least 4 more tracks on the album to allow for this.
Different times for music, but, those key songs many fans adored, but did not make it as a single remain just as loved today as the singles themselves.

+Quote Post
Padamic Tension
post May 10 2020, 11:04 PM
Post #16
BuzzJack Idol
   No Gallery Pics

Ya songs like enjoy yourself and I'm over dreaming remain very popular and their reception on the anti tour seemed to be really really good.

+Quote Post
pippa
post May 11 2020, 05:44 PM
Post #17
BuzzJack Legend
   No Gallery Pics

The style choice of the hat Kylie wears on the cover is questionable.
It was a bad styling choice.

+Quote Post
Padamic Tension
post May 12 2020, 12:36 AM
Post #18
BuzzJack Idol
   No Gallery Pics

Ya its not the best, they had a thing for hats on the first 2 album covers, as much as i love the album im not keen on the cover. I prefer the cover of kylie to enjoy yourself.

+Quote Post
pippa
post May 13 2020, 07:54 PM
Post #19
BuzzJack Legend
   No Gallery Pics

Kylie is the better of the two album covers.
In parts, Enjoy Yourself shows small traces of what was to come on Rhythm of Love which is represented through I'm Over Dreaming (Over You).

+Quote Post
Jessie Where
post May 15 2020, 11:08 AM
Post #20
Break the tension
Member No.: 51

This is literally an album of two halves for me - I like all the upbeat songs, but dislike all of the ballads!

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 10:11 AM