BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Artist News
24 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Madonna ● SINGLES rate 2016: THE RESULTS, full results: page 24
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Qween
post 16th March 2016, 01:54 PM
Post #41
Group icon
Schlagerdrottningen
User: 11,709

Gambler is SO SO SO GOOD. It's obviously quite simple, but I'd always rank it very highly (top 30 or so) among her tracks. It's got a massive hook and she clearly had a lot of fun recording it because it's a very engaged and lively vocal.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
vibe
post 16th March 2016, 05:17 PM
Post #42
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 11,763

You can tell that this board is mainly young fans (that is not s bad thing).

Gambler is s huge fan favourite usually , hard core fans have endlessly campaigned for it to be performed live, it has not been performed live since 1985. The live version is far superior to the cd version imo.

GGW is criminally underrated on here. I really love it !!!

It's also interesting to me that many hit songs that she left off her greatest hit compilations are being voted off quickly ! This makes sense because they are less familiar smile.gif

+Quote this post
Jessie Where
post 16th March 2016, 06:35 PM
Post #43
Group icon
Break the tension
User: 51

There aren't any huge losses there for me, 'Dear Jessie' is a real black mark on her singles discography.

This post has been edited by mr_pmt: 16th March 2016, 06:35 PM

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post 16th March 2016, 07:45 PM
Post #44
Group icon
User: 13,007

I like 'Keep It Together' and 'Girl Gone Wild'. This is about right for 'Dear Jessie' - it's nice but hardly a classic. Don't really have much time/interest in the other two so still GOING WELL.

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post 16th March 2016, 09:13 PM
Post #45
Group icon
User: 13,007

Only you make me feel good

61. Bad Girl 6.57
62. Angel 6.27
63. One More Chance 6.13
64. Love Profusion 6.02
65. Everybody 5.98

First up we have Everybody taken from Madonna's first album and was actually the first single released from it. It's an incredibly R&B influenced song and didn't really showcase the world what sort of artist she would mature into. It wasn't a critical or commercial success and nor has it faired too well here, but it was a seminal moment for Madonna as an artist and so for nostalgia alone it almost demands the respect.

A huge shock for me now, a song that I was sure would do much better. Love Profusion the first song to drop from 'American Life' and the final single released off it. It's a song about love and confusion at the state of the world around her. Dedicated to her then partner Guy Ritchie it was another single that did not ignite the charts but it was hugely appreciated by critics and fans alike with many citing it as a highlight on the album. A bitty song with moments of bliss, confusion and tenderness all merged together in a beautifully wistful manner.

One More Chance was taken off Madonna's ballad compilation 'Something to Remember' although it wasn't totally pushed as a single due to her other commitments as no music video was made. It's a lovely song but it does get lost on the album due to the sheer number of other stunners that feature on it and especially when comparing to the plethora of other songs she's released it isn't an immediate one of recall.

Angel was the third single taken from her second album. A song that hasn't really aged too well (like a fair bit of the album) and it does seem to be stuck in its age but it is fairly enjoyable still. A commercial success continuing her fine run at that time, it isn't the most original or explosive of singles from M and is instead quite dainty and repetitive - which for many is what is so appealing about it!

Finally we have yet another 'Erotica' single this, this time to fiercely titled Bad Girl. I've not always been huge on this one but I have grown to appreciate it more the more I learn about it and the more focused I am with the lyrical content. It's a pretty heartbreaking song that is masked with the allure of the tempestuous singer. The David Fincher directed video is wonderful and perfectly encapsulates the song's message and tone. It's pretty haunting as a single but it's not the most rewarding or satisfying so I suppose this is about right for it.

+Quote this post
Qween
post 16th March 2016, 09:18 PM
Post #46
Group icon
Schlagerdrottningen

Bad Girl should be much higher, it's a proper Erotica standout but I'm not surprised to see it that low given the parent album doesn't get much love on here.

+Quote this post
Nina West
post 16th March 2016, 09:55 PM
Post #47
Group icon
We're all Glitter and Tears in the Moonlight...
User: 19,846

Oooh I need to do some catching up here, with my opinions.

Give Me All Your Luvin', Yes I do agree that she totally lost all credibility here, The only reason it was released was because of Nicki Minaj's feature on here, but this should have never been released as the lead single. This just proved that Madonna was clinging onto her last bit of fame, with this desperate piece of rubbish, and I still think that if 'I'm Addicted' led the MDNA campaign, then her career wouldn't have been in the state that it is now.

Revolver, Not really keen on this and don't get why this was even given a single release, but I do think that if it had a music video and more push, then it would have performed better chart wise.

Bitch I'm Madonna, This should be in the bottom 3, an awful track and what's with the Nicki Minaj feature again, like that worked so well the last time she tried it. After 2 amazing singles, she wrecked the era with this abomination.

Fever, Honestly I don't think that this is bad, sure it's not great, but still a decent enough number and a pretty good cover of an original well known song, in my opinion.

The Look Of Love, Again another not bad number, but can see why it's so low on here and forgotten. It performed pretty well on the UK charts, just going to show how massive she was at the time. But obviously this was just another cash in from the record company to push more album sales. But still it's a nice enough song though and harmless.

+Quote this post
randomfurlong
post 16th March 2016, 10:04 PM
Post #48
Group icon
musing
User: 13,969

I love Angel, such an infectious pop song. Sad to see it so low!

+Quote this post
Nina West
post 16th March 2016, 10:06 PM
Post #49
Group icon

Another Suitcase In Another Hall, Again this was just another cash in to sell to more albums, but still it's a nice enough and sweet song, that's again totally forgotten by basically everybody.

Gambler, This along with "Angel" are probably my least fave of Madonna's 80's era. It's okay enough though.

Dear Jessie, I actually like this one, and loved the animated music video, and yes it's sickly sweet and really girly and there were much stronger tracks on the 'LAP' album that could have been released, but honestly I totally adore this one.

Girl Gone Wild, To be honest this one never stuck in my head, so not a very good song at all, and a poor single choice, especially after the lead single fiasco. It just seemed that the era was beyond saving at this point.

Keep It Together, Another okayish song, that doesn't stand out for me, and do agree that 'Til' Death Do Us Part' or 'Promise To Try' would have been much better choices. Still this is decent enough and would have been nice to see a proper music video for it, other than just another concert/touring footage that were used quite a lot at the time, as music videos. At the end of the way though, this still did well enough on the charts, in it's own right with a #8 peak on the USA charts. So it can't be all bad.

+Quote this post
Nina West
post 16th March 2016, 10:18 PM
Post #50
Group icon

Everybody, her very first single, not a bad song actually and it's a decent fit on her debut album. So everybody's gotta start somewhere I suppose.

Love Profusion, Never liked this one, and especially the awful effortless tampon commercial music video, it's just weak in my opinion. 'Nothing Fails' should have been given a UK release instead of this, and given a music video, I think that song would have performed better.

One More Chance, Nice enough, but again forgettable, but do like it's sombre mood and it does get lost on 'STR', and didn't really work as a single.

Angel, Like I already said, one of my least faves from her 80's era, and it is very dated and doesn't really have the wow factor, like the rest of the 'LAV' singles.

Bad Girl, There were much better songs on the 'Erotica' album than this, and again doesn't really work as a single, especially over "Where Life Begins', "Why It's So Hard' or even "In This Life", all of which would have showed a better side to this album. But on the plus I did like the music video, which was awesome and felt like that would have made a better movie than 'Body Of Evidence', which was a total stinker.

+Quote this post
RosaParksMyCar
post 16th March 2016, 10:30 PM
Post #51
Group icon
Creole Lady Mayonnaise
User: 16,548

Horrid bunch apart from the divine Bad Girl. I thought that would be much higher.

+Quote this post
Jessie Where
post 16th March 2016, 10:42 PM
Post #52
Group icon
Break the tension
User: 51

'Bad Girl' is great, I love singing along to it and emulating the vocals in the verses. 'Angel' is an underrated Madonna single.

+Quote this post
jark
post 16th March 2016, 11:09 PM
Post #53
Group icon
something you consider rare
User: 2,990

I wouldn't say Love Profusion was "hugely appreciated by fans". I've honestly never heard anyone say they love that song. It's bloody awful.

Bit of a crime Bad Girl is out so soon but then it's a very understated song. "Bad girl, drunk by six..." is one hell of a lyric.

+Quote this post
RosaParksMyCar
post 16th March 2016, 11:17 PM
Post #54
Group icon
Creole Lady Mayonnaise

I'm sure Madge herself hate Love Profusion.

+Quote this post
-Jay-
post 17th March 2016, 05:26 AM
Post #55
Group icon
"Jayrusaleminians" - Umi.
Pronouns: he/him
User: 3,217

Angel is really great, such an underrated gem amongst her 80s releases. Not surprised to see it as low as that, I'm just glad it wasn't in the bottom 10!

+Quote this post
vibe
post 17th March 2016, 08:04 AM
Post #56
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 11,763

Love profusion is far too high !!!! For me it should be close to the bottom !!

+Quote this post
Qween
post 17th March 2016, 09:34 AM
Post #57
Group icon
Schlagerdrottningen

Love Profusion is sappy, saccharine crap of the highest order. It should never have been a single (or even recorded, really). Plus the video that looks like a tampon commercial for middle aged women, no ta Madge.

+Quote this post
J00prstar
post 17th March 2016, 01:36 PM
Post #58
Group icon
there's nothing straight about plump Elvis
Pronouns: they/any
User: 22,895

I like Love Profusion but that tampon commercial comment is spot on. Awks

+Quote this post
RosaParksMyCar
post 17th March 2016, 01:38 PM
Post #59
Group icon
Creole Lady Mayonnaise

American Life The album is in her top 3 though.

+Quote this post
Regina
post 17th March 2016, 01:40 PM
Post #60
Group icon
Raining Shitter
User: 5,572

Love Profusion is amazing and you should all be ashamed for not liking it.

+Quote this post

24 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 24th April 2024, 01:20 PM