BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
> 
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Should the UK Top 100 introduce a recurrent rule?
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
danG
post 6th May 2016, 05:29 PM
Post #1
Group icon
🔥🚀🔥
User: 11,746

It's well known on here that the US Billboard Hot 100 is slow af - but the chart compilers do at least try to keep things fresh by kicking old songs out the chart when they drop out of the top 50. (I think 20 weeks or more counts as 'old'). Would you get behind the OCC introducing a similar rule for the UK chart or should it be left as it is?

I'm quite conflicted in my opinion, as I'd like to see more fresh songs make the top 100, but then newer songs' chart runs would be inconsistent with amazingly long chart runs of songs like Thinking Out Loud and it wouldn't be a proper reflection of the 100 most popular songs of the week.

Note that this rule would not change anything in the top 50, songs would still be able to have ridiculously long top 40 runs.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
-SCOTT-
post 6th May 2016, 06:26 PM
Post #2
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 194

I don't think its the best solution. Id rather radio and Spotify had quicker refreshing of their playlists

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post 6th May 2016, 07:00 PM
Post #3
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 17,376

the charts stopped reflecting a wide range of music tastes when they became more-or-less streaming-only these days, so totally in favour of anything that freshens it up. The US charts used to be a laughing stock, nowadays the UK charts are far worse because they are streaming-only, which is, as I bang on about, the same people playing the same records week after week to the exclusion of everyone else that consumes music in other ways.

Weighting the charts, as in the US, to include data from various sources is preferable to a chart where nothing happens for long periods of time, and new music is a trickle, or else a superstar avalanche of tracks taking over every time a new album is released. Neither does anything for new music and veteran acts music.

If there were still a Top Of The Pops, it would get cancelled within 6 weeks from repetition and everyone moaning about how boring it is tongue.gif

+Quote this post
Atonement
post 6th May 2016, 07:12 PM
Post #4
Group icon
I just had to see your face to feel alive
User: 10,676

A top 100 is a top 100. I think it's ridiculous to throw out songs just because they've been on the charts for a certain of amount of weeks. If they're still in there then they should be.

+Quote this post
Spinning Adam
post 6th May 2016, 07:16 PM
Post #5
Group icon
Former iconic poster with no consistent posting style
Pronouns: Don't take em seriously tbh
User: 21,005

Hmm this is interesting! Agreeing with what Dan says about old songs lasting forever in the chart (which a lot of people agree with as well it would seem) but it doesn't really seem "fair" if you know what I mean? I'm finding it hard to pick a side here tongue.gif

+Quote this post
Dobbo
post 6th May 2016, 07:18 PM
Post #6
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 20,053

I wouldn't like this. I don't even really care for tracks outside the top 40 anyway so even if they were all brand spanking new I doubt I would listen to them out of curiosity.

+Quote this post
Robbie
post 6th May 2016, 08:04 PM
Post #7
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 366

QUOTE(danG @ May 6 2016, 05:29 PM) *
It's well known on here that the US Billboard Hot 100 is slow af - but the chart compilers do at least try to keep things fresh by kicking old songs out the chart when they drop out of the top 50. (I think 20 weeks or more counts as 'old'). Would you get behind the OCC introducing a similar rule for the UK chart or should it be left as it is?

I'm quite conflicted in my opinion, as I'd like to see more fresh songs make the top 100, but then newer songs' chart runs would be inconsistent with amazingly long chart runs of songs like Thinking Out Loud and it wouldn't be a proper reflection of the 100 most popular songs of the week.

Note that this rule would not change anything in the top 50, songs would still be able to have ridiculously long top 40 runs.
A few months ago Billboard introduced a further rule to remove older songs from the Hot 100. Not only are records below number 50 removed from the chart after 20 weeks but a second rule now applies
that removes tracks that are below number 25 after 52 weeks. Records can, at the discretion of the Hot 100 Chart Manager, be allowed to remain on the Hot 100 if there are special circumstances.

Personally I prefer to see an actual Top 100 in proper sales order with no exclusions. Perhaps we should look to the ARIA compiled Australian chart rather than the Billboard Hot 100. The ARIA chart seems to get the balance right with a decent amount of new entries each week and the top 40 seems a lot fresher with fewer records spending multiple months on the chart. What is it that ARIA does right (given their chart is also a mix of paid-for sales and streaming sales to the same ratio) that the OCC doesn't?

One thing that stands out with the ARIA chart is the relative lack of multiple hits by one or two acts which is one trend that tends to clog up the UK chart. At one time (when the ARIA chart didn't include streams) record labels had to not only actively register a track for it to appear on the singles chart but they had to also choose a maximum of three variants of a download version of a song and sales from any other variant / version of that track would be ignored. In addition none of those variants could include a Now-type compilation album. I don't know what has changed since streaming data started to be included in November 2014 but however ARIA do it, the inclusion of streaming hasn't brought the chart to a complete standstill. The chart rules section on the ARIA website seems to have been removed so I don't know if there are still restrictions on how many versions of a song can be counted towards a chart position and whether this may have been extended to streams.

The current ARIA Australian Singles chart: http://www.ariacharts.com.au/charts/singles-chart

+Quote this post
Bjork
post 7th May 2016, 08:06 AM
Post #8
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 22,665

what about caping the number of times that streaming a song counts for the charts as alternative? say it only counts for the charts the first 100 times that a person streams a song for instance, that would make the charts faster I think

+Quote this post
Sour Candy
post 7th May 2016, 09:40 AM
Post #9
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 10,275

I don't think ordinary people (who are not huge fans of a certain artist) listen to the same song more than 100 times.

+Quote this post
vidcapper
post 7th May 2016, 09:48 AM
Post #10
Group icon
Paul Hyett
User: 364

perhaps there should be a recurrent rule for streaming only... teresa.gif

+Quote this post
Josh!
post 7th May 2016, 09:53 AM
Post #11
Group icon
c:
User: 20,692

QUOTE(vidcapper @ May 7 2016, 10:48 AM) *
perhaps there should be a recurrent rule for streaming only... teresa.gif

This perhaps could be a semi-good idea. Perhaps after X weeks, 200 streams = 1 sale instead of 100 to speed things up a bit. It would look a bit unfair but not as bad as completely getting rid of songs after a certain amount of time. I think streams weighting should be decreased anyway though imo, I'd adore a chart where Hold Up, Middle and Hair were getting a couple weeks top 10 over Girls Like, Lush Life and Faded still drama.gif

+Quote this post
Sour Candy
post 7th May 2016, 10:03 AM
Post #12
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

btw this week the longest running song has 36 weeks in top 75 so longevity is not that huge of a problem is it?

The more people will use streaming services, the more songs will be streamed.

+Quote this post
Dircadirca
post 7th May 2016, 10:39 AM
Post #13
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 19,614

QUOTE(Robbie @ May 7 2016, 04:04 AM) *
Personally I prefer to see an actual Top 100 in proper sales order with no exclusions. Perhaps we should look to the ARIA compiled Australian chart rather than the Billboard Hot 100. The ARIA chart seems to get the balance right with a decent amount of new entries each week and the top 40 seems a lot fresher with fewer records spending multiple months on the chart. What is it that ARIA does right (given their chart is also a mix of paid-for sales and streaming sales to the same ratio) that the OCC doesn't?

One key difference is that for ARIA, the ratio is 175:1 (I think) streams to sales instead of 100:1 (ARIA also haven't started counting Tidal streams though that's not mattered until recently). There are probably socioeconomic factors to deal with it, I think the main thing is that the UK has a large population, but unlike the US, doesn't have the same fractured marketplace. The Billboard Hot 100 is always home to dozens of rap & country tracks that are of little interest outside their demographics, whereas most of the UK chart is probably consumed by a similar group of people. The 'top 50' effect on US Spotify doesn't seem nearly as drastic there and I think it's because less people would be inclined to listen to everything in the chart.

I also think the big thing that slows things down is that streaming is still growing, so there'll always be a sizeable portion of people who are just getting started with streaming. People just getting started would be more likely to stream established hits that everyone else is sick of. I feel like a similar thing happened with digital sales, but now that most people who buy digital music have been doing so for years, songs are having quicker runs there.

+Quote this post
richie
post 9th May 2016, 07:02 AM
Post #14
Group icon
Poet and Storyteller
User: 166

Keep the "singles" chart (if there are singles these days), but stop broadcasting it on the radio. Instead, broadcast the album chart top 40 (one song from each) which is more varied, moves quicker and is more indicative of what people are buying week on week.

Although I look at the top 100 every week on BJ, it means nothing to me. Mostly seems to be made up of groups with a name made of a random series of capital letters and punctuation marks featuring another act made of a random series of capital letters and punctuation marks.

+Quote this post
vidcapper
post 9th May 2016, 08:10 AM
Post #15
Group icon
Paul Hyett
User: 364

QUOTE(richie @ May 9 2016, 08:02 AM) *
Although I look at the top 100 every week on BJ, it means nothing to me. Mostly seems to be made up of groups with a name made of a random series of capital letters and punctuation marks featuring another act made of a random series of capital letters and punctuation marks.

laugh.gif

+Quote this post
Sour Candy
post 9th May 2016, 08:11 AM
Post #16
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

Like NEU! tongue.gif

Or The Artist Formerly Known as Prince

Or UB40

Those were the days

This post has been edited by SKOB: 9th May 2016, 08:19 AM

+Quote this post
Post #17
Group icon
Fire
User: 9,912

QUOTE(Atonement @ May 6 2016, 08:12 PM) *
A top 100 is a top 100. I think it's ridiculous to throw out songs just because they've been on the charts for a certain of amount of weeks. If they're still in there then they should be.

100% agreed.

+Quote this post
Suedehead2
post 9th May 2016, 10:22 AM
Post #18
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 3,272

QUOTE(SKOB @ May 9 2016, 09:11 AM) *
Like NEU! tongue.gif

Or The Artist Formerly Known as Prince

Or UB40

Those were the days

UB40 wasn't a random combination of letters and numerals. It was a reference to the form required to claim unemployment benefit.

+Quote this post
richie
post 9th May 2016, 10:28 AM
Post #19
Group icon
Poet and Storyteller
User: 166

Exactly - what is CHVRCHES or FKA Twigs?

+Quote this post
Colm
post 9th May 2016, 10:59 AM
Post #20
Group icon
Yes, it's me.
User: 9,885

QUOTE(SKOB @ May 7 2016, 11:03 AM) *
btw this week the longest running song has 36 weeks in top 75 so longevity is not that huge of a problem is it?

The more people will use streaming services, the more songs will be streamed.

36 weeks is quite long in all time terms.

+Quote this post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 26th April 2024, 06:08 PM