BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
> 
29 Pages V  « < 10 11 12 13 14 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Jade's favourite top 40 hits of each year ● 1997 onwards, 2005: 40-21 posted
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
danG
post 17th March 2020, 12:03 AM
Post #221
Group icon
🔥🚀🔥
User: 11,746

22. Artful Dodger - Re-Rewind (The Crowd Say Bo Selecta) (feat. Craig David)
one of the very best garage tracks, not a genre I'm as fond of as a few others in dance but this is a great track.

19. Christina Aguilera - Genie In A Bottle
I don't think she ever bettered this, it's definitely one of the year's best pop songs.

17. Smash Mouth - All Star
not a song I choose to play very often but the memes have made me appreciate it more.

16. DJ Jurgen Presents Alice Deejay - Better Off Alone
yes what an anthem! would be firmly in my top 5 of the year I think.

15. Sixpence None the Richer - Kiss Me
this is a rather sweet song, I quite like it more than I really should for this sort of song.

14. ATB - 9 PM (Till I Come)
great to see another big trance anthem here! would've been great to have lived through that time, as a big trance fan who only discovered these bangers long after trance was dead as a chart force.

13. Five - Keep On Movin'
this is surprisingly good for a boyband song actually, not a huge fave but I like it.

12. The Chemical Brothers - Hey Boy Hey Girl
another great dance anthem. no surprise this is one of their most remembered hits, it's up with their best.

11. Chicane - Saltwater (feat. Maire Brennan)
love this, and I've also grown to appreciate it more recently. I've put on the 10 minute version a couple of times too and he doesn't waste any time on it.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Jade
post 17th March 2020, 09:56 AM
Post #222
Group icon
Alone and wounded
Pronouns: She/her
User: 12,810

QUOTE(dan.G @ Mar 17 2020, 12:03 AM) *
one of the very best garage tracks, not a genre I'm as fond of as a few others in dance but this is a great track.

I don't think she ever bettered this, it's definitely one of the year's best pop songs.

not a song I choose to play very often but the memes have made me appreciate it more.

yes what an anthem! would be firmly in my top 5 of the year I think.

this is a rather sweet song, I quite like it more than I really should for this sort of song.

great to see another big trance anthem here! would've been great to have lived through that time, as a big trance fan who only discovered these bangers long after trance was dead as a chart force.

this is surprisingly good for a boyband song actually, not a huge fave but I like it.

another great dance anthem. no surprise this is one of their most remembered hits, it's up with their best.

love this, and I've also grown to appreciate it more recently. I've put on the 10 minute version a couple of times too and he doesn't waste any time on it.

Hey Dan hi.gif

#22 - Ooh okay I wasn't aware that you weren't massively fond of garage music compared to other dance genres! Well, I'm glad that you appreciate 'Re-rewind', there'll be some more garage on the way so I'll be interested to see if you're a fan of any of those tracks remaining.

#19 - I think 'Dirrrty' is still my Christina favourite but 'Genie In A Bottle' is definitely up there and an ultimate pop highlight of the year as you say. One more of those to come, otherwise the top 10 is packed full of dance haha, it had to be for 1999 *_*

#17 - God bless the memes *.*

#16 - Ooh top 5 of the year is very high praise! If some of you guys post your own top 10s/20s/40s etc. of the year again, after I'm done counting down 1999, then I'll be very interested to see them. What a year *.*

#15 - Yay I'm glad that you like the Sixpence None The Richer song, I hope coi is the only radical 'Kiss Me' troll kink.gif

#14 - We're definitely united with a love of trance <3 I think the 90s is my second favourite decade for music after the 00s (very excited to be kicking that off soon) so I often wonder what it would've been like to live through the decade properly. Trance to make a comeback one day please x

#13 - Ooh at this point I've noticed that you've said something positive about the entire last section, yay! Boyband hits can be hit or miss but this is definitely one of the best, I also quite liked 'Let's Dance' from Five too but they never topped this.

#12 - Yeah 'Hey Boy Hey Girl' is incredibly memorable heart.gif they have such a great back catalogue even to this day!

#11 - Oh yes I would happily listen to the 10 minute version too, can't get enough of 'Saltwater'

Thank you for commenting <3

+Quote this post
PeteFromLeeds
post 17th March 2020, 03:42 PM
Post #223
Group icon
Buy yourself a car, and a house in Devon
User: 23,247

Hey Boy Hey Girl - now that takes me back! My dad used to play that a lot so I've become a big fan as well. 9PM (Till I Come) is a tune as well, and I'm playing Saltwater as well - another great one by Chicane!

+Quote this post
Jade
post 17th March 2020, 04:13 PM
Post #224
Group icon
Alone and wounded

QUOTE(PeteFromLeeds @ Mar 17 2020, 03:42 PM) *
Hey Boy Hey Girl - now that takes me back! My dad used to play that a lot so I've become a big fan as well. 9PM (Till I Come) is a tune as well, and I'm playing Saltwater as well - another great one by Chicane!

Ooh great taste there from your dad *.* + Chicane rarely disappoints heart.gif glad that you enjoyed the triple whammy of dance!

thank you for commenting <3

+Quote this post
Mack.
post 19th March 2020, 03:52 PM
Post #225
Group icon
It's still will be the return of the Mack 4eva
User: 12,915

'Keep On Movin' probably my favourite song that Five would still listen to this anytime. 'Saltwater' I remember this from some random reason being featured as background music on Channel 4 Racing back in the day. 'Hey Boy, Hey Girl' and '9PM (Till I Come, 'Kiss Me' all classics.

What a half of dozen songs there, Jade.

+Quote this post
Jade
post 19th March 2020, 09:37 PM
Post #226
Group icon
Alone and wounded

QUOTE(Mack. @ Mar 19 2020, 03:52 PM) *
'Keep On Movin' probably my favourite song that Five would still listen to this anytime. 'Saltwater' I remember this from some random reason being featured as background music on Channel 4 Racing back in the day. 'Hey Boy, Hey Girl' and '9PM (Till I Come, 'Kiss Me' all classics.

What a half of dozen songs there, Jade.

Hey there Mack hi.gif

Hooray, snap favourite Five song then *.* I was not aware that 'Saltwater' was background music for Channel 4 Racing but that's cool! Once again praise for all 5 songs, yay, our taste is aligning a lot for the 90s so far! Hopefully it stays that way for the noughties too.

+Quote this post
Mack.
post 20th March 2020, 03:08 PM
Post #227
Group icon

Saltwater, I just remember being featured as background.music when the horse came into the winners enclosure in a big race in the early 00s on Channel 4 Racing.

+Quote this post
Jade
post 23rd March 2020, 11:08 PM
Post #228
Group icon
Alone and wounded

10. Britney Spears - ...Baby One More Time
(chart-run: 1-1-2-3-3-4-6-7-11-15-17-19-21-24-27-25-27-31-46-60-64-63)

09. Fatboy Slim - Praise You
(chart-run: 1-4-9-13-18-23-25-34-49-61-66-72)

08. Armand Van Helden - You Don't Know Me (feat. Duane Harden)
(chart-run: 1-2-7-13-20-27-32-35-39-45-74-72R(4))

07. Shaft - (Mucho Mambo) Sway
(chart-run: 2-3-6-9-12-17-23-28-37-48-62-69)

06. Wamdue Project - King of My Castle
(chart-run: 1-2-3-6-14-16-13-17-23-33-46-58-47-49-70-74R(3))

Kicking off the top 10 is the second and final 1999 appearance for the princess of pop, Britney Spears! Here she is with '...Baby One More Time' which was the first CD single I ever bought. This was second hand at a car-boot sale at some point in the noughties! My interest in music was growing more and more by the day and Britney was a familiar name to me. So I picked up the single, took it up to my room and played it over and over again. I recall making up a dance routine to it as well! All these years later '...Baby One More Time' is still a song that I can happily hear over and over again. I've actually got it on loop as I'm typing this! At just 16 years old, Britney was ready to make her mark as a fully fledged pop star. She got it just right with a bonafide smash penned by Max Martin! He also produced it with the help of Rami. It's hard to imagine that such a ready-made hit was turned down by the Backstreet Boys, TLC and 5ive before it got into Britney's hands! But this was the case. Now it feels strange to imagine anyone else but Britney singing it! Well, perhaps Darius as well with that infamous audition of his. But yes, back to Britney. Her vocal style quickly appeared to be unique - raspy but sweet, if a little nasally too. She put her stamp on this song about a teenage romance, where she wanted the guy back, just perfectly. She was the driving force behind the video too. The original idea was actually a cartoon video, but Britney swayed it in the direction of a real life school setting instead (the same one that features in Grease) with her famous school-girl outfit and choreography in the hallway. She felt that this setting was relatable for her own age and fellow younger demographic. The memorable video went down a storm and is considered iconic today. It became the first female music video from the 90s to be Vevo certified on YouTube, so its impact lives on! The whole package is a masterclass in launching a pop-star. The song itself contains multiple addictive hooks, the video was a talking point, Britney herself was so well-received as a star... the song instantly shot to #1 in the U.K. (and EVERY European country it charted in!!) with humongous sales, enough to be the biggest hit of the year here. That gave Britney the honour of being the final performer of the 90s on Top of the Pops, during their end of year show. Here we have an effortlessly striking and triumphant debut that set Britney up for a very successful career in pop. She would reshape the sound of pop music for the late 1990s and become one of the most famous faces in the world - and she wasn't even an adult yet! Impressive. I've recently picked up the accompanying '...Baby One More Time' album on pink swirl vinyl and look forward to hearing this record on my turntable soon. I have been listening to Britney more than ever lately as a comforting act in memory of Tyler, a friend to all. This one's for him. <3 Next we have another #1 with a memorable video, but we dip into the world of dance now instead of pop! It was Fatboy Slim's first #1 single under this pseudonym, as mastermind Norman Cook had been on the scene for a while before this point. 'Praise You' is an uplifting Big Beat chart topper that relies on a few samples, the most prominent one being the opening of 'Take Yo' Praise' by Camille Yarbrough. The "I have to celebrate you baby, I have to praise you like I should" lyrics are incredibly warm. The production takes us on a real journey - it feels soothing initially but explodes into an exciting, funky experience as we delve deeper into the song. The accompanying video is simple but effective for sure! The shoestring budget (well... $800, but that's nothing in the world of music videos!) is evident, as an authentic flash-mob takes place in public without permission! The amateurish dancing is very endearing and unifying, making it a perfect fit for the song. In such an isolated world right now, it's a real pick-me-up to watch this video. It was rightfully recognised at the MTV VMAs in 1999. So... another dance #1 you say? Well, okay then! Next up it's Armand Van Helden with a little help from Duane Harden on vocals with 'You Don't Know Me'. Here we have another sample-heavy and funky smash, but with far less of an outright positive feel to it. Instead, Harden is quite scathing to the subject of the song, stating "you don't understand me, so why do you judge my life?" - it's all rather sassy and soulful, but he turns the negativity into a positive too - where he takes control of his own life and destiny with lyrics such as "I've decided I gotta be strong". You go Duane! It was indeed him who wrote the lyrics, solo at that. Helden came up with the production first and the lyrics were the secondary addition. They merged together to provide a popular passionate floor-filler! The garage house song dislodged The Offspring from the top spot here in the U.K. and showed that dance was alive and kicking as a chart force in 1999, as well as many other hits that year, two of which are coming up right now...

This section is entirely comprised of #1 singles except one - it was Shaft who had to settle for the #2 position instead with '(Mucho Mambo) Sway'! The public's taste was clearly on point this year when it came to chart music, just look at all of these top 2 hits featuring so high for 1999. Okay, so on paper a high-pitched dance version of 'Sway' sounds like a recipe for disaster - potentially very tacky, right? Well, this version instead smashes it out of the park! It is all about that glorious beat, which sounds overwhelmingly massive and instantly makes me want to get up and shake my cares away. The vocals are surprisingly addictive too. This is another big beat song, much like 'Praise You' earlier, so I clearly have an affinity for this electronic music genre. '(Mucho Mambo) Sway' of course has latin influences as well which is often a recipe for success in my world too. This was Shaft's debut so they very quickly found success. It was harder to maintain though, with their output being on the gimmicky side, but they'll always have this gem in their repertoire, so it's all good. What an infectious reworking! Rounding off this section is one more dance song for good measure and that is 'King of My Castle' by Wamdue Project! This is an alias of producer Chris Brann, with Gaelle Adisson featuring on vocals. This is an incredibly groovy and squelchy house song with vocals that hook you in from the word go. The inspiration behind the song is actually Sigmund Freud's theory of the unconscious - hooray, my A Level Psychology lessons have proven useful for something. Some of Freud's own words on the topic translate to "the ego is not king of its own castle" so there we go, the lyrics are pretty self explanatory now. But, one memorable aspect of the song is what a certain lyric is. I was under the impression that the famous lyric was "must be the reason why I'm free in my trapped soul" or something along those lines, but google is saying "I'm free in my threshole" First of all... thresHOLE??? Surely not, someone fire whoever put that on LyricFind. Whatever it is, it's not as good as alternative suggestions from YouTube commenters, such as "Must be the reason I put beef in my casserole" - bet they wish they thought of that one eh. The song actually has two music videos, one is pretty standard miming to the song, while the other features footage from the anime film Ghost in the Shell. I decided to go for the basic video as the embed because it briefly features a black cat and my own loveable black feline Sparky is sitting next to me right now, so I fear I'll get evils if I don't rally behind her kind. Erm, yes, so 'King of My Castle' was another dance chart topper in 1999. A follow-up top 40 scrape materialised in the form of 'You're The Reason' but that was about it.

1999 concludes next week!

+Quote this post
DalekTurret32
post 23rd March 2020, 11:53 PM
Post #229
Group icon
FIVE YEARS OF THE TURRET 15-20
User: 21,666

I have Praise You and You Don't Know Me on CD single. Speaking of the latter, I also have 2 Future 4 U on triple vinyl, except my copy bought from a vintage shop has one of the discs missing (still bought it anyway as it was pretty rare and I could think of getting the missing disc off of Discogs)

+Quote this post
Jade
post 24th March 2020, 08:39 AM
Post #230
Group icon
Alone and wounded

QUOTE(DalekTurret32 @ Mar 23 2020, 11:53 PM) *
I have Praise You and You Don't Know Me on CD single. Speaking of the latter, I also have 2 Future 4 U on triple vinyl, except my copy bought from a vintage shop has one of the discs missing (still bought it anyway as it was pretty rare and I could think of getting the missing disc off of Discogs)

Ooh nice! I think I just have both via Now albums but do have a couple of 'Right Here Right Now' related records in terms of Fatboy Slim, Record Store Day are obsessed with that song kink.gif Oh it's so annoying when a disc is missing!! That happened to me too with 'Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band' second hand, I've always made sure to triple check a second hand vinyl I'm interested in ever since kink.gif

+Quote this post
Mack.
post 24th March 2020, 09:56 AM
Post #231
Group icon

....Baby One More Time probably one of the greatest debuts by a female artist. 'Praise You', a classic with that iconic music video, 'You Don't Know Me' a fantastic tune, (Mucho Mambo) Sway another song which I couldn't tire of. 'King of My Castle' what a tune this was. Still sounds great today. All still great to listen to.

+Quote this post
Jade
post 24th March 2020, 10:05 AM
Post #232
Group icon
Alone and wounded

QUOTE(Mack. @ Mar 24 2020, 09:56 AM) *
....Baby One More Time probably one of the greatest debuts by a female artist. 'Praise You', a classic with that iconic music video, 'You Don't Know Me' a fantastic tune, (Mucho Mambo) Sway another song which I couldn't tire of. 'King of My Castle' what a tune this was. Still sounds great today. All still great to listen to.

Hey there Mack hi.gif

Yes, when I think of iconic debuts '...Baby One More Time' always pops into my head straight away! A modern classic for sure. I'm glad that you're a fan of the 'Praise You' video too, it's so simple but effective, knowing that they didn't have permission to be carrying out the dance there adds an amusing layer to it too. I'm also pleased that all of these dance songs are still sounding great for you today, 1999 kept on delivering with the high quality electronic music.

+Quote this post
PeteFromLeeds
post 28th March 2020, 04:37 PM
Post #233
Group icon
Buy yourself a car, and a house in Devon
User: 23,247

Some more fab dance tunes in this section! King Of My Castle is one of the most memorable of its genre, and Sway really brings out the summer-y vibes which are great for being stuck indoors but oh well. Praise You is one of many brill songs from Fatboy Slim also.

+Quote this post
Jade
post 28th March 2020, 05:21 PM
Post #234
Group icon
Alone and wounded

QUOTE(PeteFromLeeds @ Mar 28 2020, 04:37 PM) *
Some more fab dance tunes in this section! King Of My Castle is one of the most memorable of its genre, and Sway really brings out the summer-y vibes which are great for being stuck indoors but oh well. Praise You is one of many brill songs from Fatboy Slim also.

Hey there Pete hi.gif

Thank you! Looking forward to unveiling some more dance picks in the top 5 in just a couple of days. Yeah 'King Of My Castle' is extremely memorable - an enduring one hit wonder for sure (well, by definition of only one top 20 hit anyway). Omg revisiting 'Sway' recently has been a treat, trying to surround myself with as much uplifting music as possible during these difficult times! But yeah, shame about the lack of outdoors kink.gif Fatboy Slim is such a legend heart.gif

+Quote this post
Jade
post 30th March 2020, 09:50 PM
Post #235
Group icon
Alone and wounded

05. Mr Oizo - Flat Beat
(chart-run: 1-1-2-8-17-19-27-41-50-51-53-51-70-62R(6)-60)

04. Shanks & Bigfoot - Sweet Like Chocolate
(chart-run: 1-1-2-5-8-11-18-22-26-33-37-38-44-55-73-66R(4))

03. Baz Luhrmann - Everybody's Free (To Wear Sunscreen)
(chart-run: 1-3-7-12-23-29-37-48-55-51-50-54-66-68-71-65)

02. Basement Jaxx - Red Alert
(chart-run: 5-6-10-12-20-23-33-35-49-74)

01. Fatboy Slim - Right Here, Right Now
(chart-run: 2-4-9-18-31-37-43-52-55-65)

Right, let's do this for the final time in the 90s ohmy.gif kicking off this 1999 section, as the first in a string of 3 #1 hits, is 'Flat Beat' by Mr Oizo! I remember discovering this whole package on a 4Music '90s dance' countdown when I was younger. I was quickly fixated. I'm so glad that I experienced the song for the first time alongside its music video as it truly reaches its full potential with that. The video features legendary puppet Flat Eric who represents some of us home workers right now tbh. In the office he can be seen rocking out to the song over the phone, tapping on the keyboard with no monitor (!) and holding a sausage amongst other things. A true hero. He featured in a number of Levi's adverts and proved so popular that he was the star of the 'Flat Beat' video. This was a genius move as the song became an instant chart topper. It's pretty much an instrumental (save for a small talking portion) which is unique for a #1 and said production is flying the flag for the electro house genre. The wobbly instrumental of this song, that is repeated oh so much, is divine. That bassline really is a treat for the ears. It only took Mr Oizo two hours to make it apparently! Well, it took me just a few minutes to fall in love with the utterly fabulous combination of addictive loopy house and the iconic Flat Eric. What a start to the top 5 this is! Next we go from one cute video to another. Or creepy if you're not into animated videos with slightly dodgy lip-synching. But hey, you cannot deny the adorable swaying chocolate ants I tell thee! The star of the video is the pink-haired protagonist whose entire world is made out of chocolate. No this is not some Willy Wonka movie, instead, it's the visuals for Shanks & Bigfoot's 'Sweet Like Chocolate'! They previously appeared in this countdown for 1998 under former name 'Doolally'. This was for 'Straight From The Heart'. They were back here, with the same vocalist Sharon Woolf, to give us a monster hit. 'Sweet Like Chocolate' was originally released in 1998 as a promotional single, with just 1000 vinyl pressings and nothing else. It was promoted to official single status the following year and became the eighth best-selling single of 1999. Not bad going! Here we have a sugary sweet song with lyrics such as "you bring me so much joy". Aww. Woolf has a very cutesy vocal style, so she suits the words. The vocals also mesh well with the bouncy production. It's all very light and dreamy. The UK garage stamp helps it to stand out too. The beat is seriously infectious. I have sort of experienced this live as The xx included it in a mash-up during their 2017 tour. That was a highlight of the night for sure! So we've already dived into an instrumental #1... how about another unique chart-topper now? Next is spoken-word hit 'Everybody's Free (To Wear Sunscreen)' by Australian film director Baz Luhrmann. This mixes Luhrmann's remixed version of 'Everybody's Free (To Feel Good)' by Rozalla and the words from a 1997 speech by Mary Schmich that took off via viral email (!) - thankfully Luhrmann was able to use it despite having a very short deadline. The speech dispenses advice about how to live a happier life and includes a line about wearing sunscreen, hence the title of the song. I guess the 2020 version would be about washing hands eh. I've always found the lyrics extremely soothing but it did just freak me out a bit to realise that this is the first time I've listened to the song as a 22-year-old - so I'm an age mentioned in the song now! However, the line in question is "The most interesting people I know didn't know at 22 what they wanted to do with their lives" so that's pretty comforting actually. I shall hold on to this advice - not stressing about certain societal pressures and instead caring about the things that really matter. Like family and... sunscreen. I must say that the downtempo production is as equally soothing too. What a gorgeous package. I remember hearing this for the first time in school as part of a presentation and I immediately fell in love. It's such a special experience every time I choose to listen to it. Its impact lives on, as Radio 1 choose to play it once in a while and it receives an iTunes boost every time! I guess it has a certain charm to it that the nation grabs on to. What an idiosyncratic #1 single. It feels crazy to me that something I treasure as much as this song isn't #1 here but what can I say, 1999 was strong...

So, 'Red Alert' may have been popular enough on here to win the Basement Jaxx - 'The Singles' rate I hosted lasted last year, but unfortunately it has to settle for a silver medal in this countdown. I presumed that this song was from the noughties for years, because as a kid I danced to it at school as part of a club and the music for that was generally quite contemporary, so I lumped this in with the rest of the teacher's picks. I was therefore shocked to discover that it was actually a 90s hit! I suppose that's testament to how fresh it still is. Basement Jaxx released this as the lead single for their 'Remedy' album and it was a success - scoring a top 5 chart placing, being certified gold and having a lasting legacy as one of the duo's signature songs. 'Red Alert' certainly stands out from the crowd! It oozes personality and chaotic energy. From lyrics about a catastrophe to a sudden ear-piercing scream. You just can't forget the experience. It's stuck with me over the years and has turned into a firm favourite. It's such a pick-me-up floor-filler, from the funky house production to the "music keeps on playing on and on" hook. Everything might be messy right now but at least we've got the music. The "no no no..." background vocals are such an earworm moment too. The video is equally as manic as the song (well, the UK one, it has two videos apparently) as a meteor turns everyone in a diner into raving zombies. Casual as ever with Basement Jaxx. 'The Singles' is quite possibly my favourite greatest hits compilation ever. So there's a lot of quality songs on there. However, this stomper is the best of the best where their output is concerned. There was one man standing in their way however when it comes to this countdown... congratulations to Fatboy Slim who claims my favourite top 40 hit of 1999! We have already seen him in the top 10 with 'Praise You' but he's back for further glory. I guess it's hard to deny the crown to a song that I own on vinyl twice in different forms. The annual Record Store Day event is as obsessed with the song as me okay! 'Right Here, Right Now' was another hit that I discovered via school, this time it was because one of my teachers was so into it that she'd soundtrack EVERY serious PowerPoint with it for dramatic effect laugh.gif I wasn't complaining though! I fell in love and rummaged through every CD in the house as I wanted it on my iPod ASAP. My urgency mirrored that of the song itself I suppose. Thankfully my parents did actually own a dance compilation with it on. I knew their taste in 90s dance wouldn't let me down! This song merges both big beat and trip hop sounds so of course I was going to love it. The latter influence really impacts the intensity. The production is so hypnotic and gives me this warm, fuzzy feeling every time. The "right here, right now" sampled lyrics are as equally dramatic as the production so it all fits together like the perfect puzzle. The very scientifically inaccurate video is super cool as well, as the action-packed vibe intensifies even further with sea creatures swimming and humans running. It evidently has a real rip-roaring quality for me and I'm happy to try and keep up with it for the rest of my life. What a beaut of a dance record. Shame that Westlife kept it off #1 though. Yet another reason to give it the #1 spot here to make up for that madness.

We have reached the end of the 1990s! cheer.gif come back soon as we survive the Y2K bug ~

+Quote this post
Jade
post 30th March 2020, 09:50 PM
Post #236
Group icon
Alone and wounded

recap ~ full 1999 top 40:

01. Fatboy Slim - Right Here, Right Now
02. Basement Jaxx - Red Alert
03. Baz Luhrmann - Everybody's Free (To Wear Sunscreen)
04. Shanks & Bigfoot - Sweet Like Chocolate
05. Mr Oizo - Flat Beat
06. Wamdue Project - King of My Castle
07. Shaft - (Mucho Mambo) Sway
08. Armand Van Helden - You Don't Know Me (feat. Duane Harden)
09. Fatboy Slim - Praise You
10. Britney Spears - ...Baby One More Time

18. Groove Armada - At the River
20. Madonna - Beautiful Stranger

21. Basement Jaxx - Rendez-Vu
23. Cuban Boys - Cognoscenti vs. Intelligentsia
24. Geri Halliwell - Mi Chico Latino
25. Terrorvision - Tequila (Mint Royale Shot)
26. TLC - No Scrubs
27. Paul Johnson - Get Get Down
28. DJ Luck & MC Neat - A Little Bit of Luck
29. Eiffel 65 - Blue (Da Ba Dee)
30. Jamiroquai - Canned Heat

31. Eminem - My Name Is
32. Ricky Martin - Livin' La Vida Loca
33. Britney Spears - (You Drive Me) Crazy
34. Shania Twain - Man! I Feel Like A Woman!
35. Moloko - Sing It Back
36. Backstreet Boys - Larger Than Life
37. S Club 7 - Bring It All Back
38. Destiny's Child - Bills Bills Bills
39. Bran Van 3000 - Drinking In L.A.
40. Apollo 440 - Stop The Rock

(so sorry that this year started in September and finished in March, at least the top 35 was delivered in regular intervals)

the playleest continues to expand:

+Quote this post
Brer
post 30th March 2020, 10:04 PM
Post #237
Group icon
is my brain across your walls?
User: 8,300

A fabulous top 10 <3 I think among those the only ones that I wouldn't consider to be all-time favourite tier songs are 'Red Alert', 'You Don't Know Me' and '...Baby One More Time' (and I do still really like at least the first two, ...BOMT I'm not really personally as big a fan of as the rest but I do acknowledge it as a classic obvz). But then 11th-13th are all all-time faves as well. x

Stanning Baz Luhrmann being as high as #3, wouldn't have expected that!

+Quote this post
danG
post 31st March 2020, 07:20 AM
Post #238
Group icon
🔥🚀🔥
User: 11,746

Great top 10 here, RHRN has to be Fatboy's absolute best track and Red Alert is up with BJ's best too.
Sway, King Of My Castle, You Don't Know Me and Flat Beat are faves of the year too.

+Quote this post
King Rollo
post 31st March 2020, 02:04 PM
Post #239
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 23,961

These are my top 20 favourite singles that made the top 40 that year. Five of them are on your list as well. It was a great year for chart hits and I had to leave many good songs out. Moby prevents the Chemical Brothers having a clean sweep of the top 3.

1. Chemical Brothers - Hey Boy Hey Girl
2. Chemical Brothers - Out Of Control
3. Moby - Why Does My Heart Feel So Bad?
4. Chemical Brothers - Let Forever Be
5. UNKLE featuring Ian Brown - Be There
6. William Orbit - Barber's Adagio For Strings
7. System F - Out Of The Blue
8. Humate - Love Stimulation
9. Supergrass - Moving
10. Solar Stone - Seven Cities
11. Groove Armada - At The River
12. Underworld - Push Upstairs
13. Fatboy Slim - Right Here Right Now
14. Travis - Writing To Reach You
15. Chicane featuring Maire Brennan - Saltwater
16. The Cardigans - Erase/Rewind
17. Pet Shop Boys - New York City Boy
18. Baz Luhrmann - Everybody's Free (To Wear Sunscreen)
19. Mario Piu - Communication (Somebody Answer The Phone)
20. Bryan Adams - Cloud Number 9

+Quote this post
Chez Wombat
post 31st March 2020, 04:33 PM
Post #240
Group icon
The owls are not what they seem
Pronouns: He/him
User: 9,232

An excellent winner, that would probably be my top pick too, it's so hypnotising and dramatic and has one of my favourite intros ever. Bloody Westlife keeping two of the best dance songs of the year off the top spot x

Some great stuff in the rest of the top 10, like I said, 1999 was a great year for dance-pop. This would be (a very rough version of) my top 10 of the year:

01. Fatboy Slim - Right Here Right Now
02. William Orbit - Barber's Adagio For Strings
03. Chemical Brothers - Hey Boy Hey Girl
04. Eiffel 65 - Blue (Da Ba Dee)
05. Alice Deejay - Better Off Alone
06. Blur - Tender
07. Foo Fighters - Learn to Fly
08. ATB - 9PM ('Til I Come)
09. Ricky Martin - Livin' La Vida Loca
10. Lou Bega - Mambo No. 5 (kink.gif)

Rollo's post made me realise, are you counting William Orbit as 2000 or when it was first released? If not consider me shocked it's not here! ohmy.gif

+Quote this post

29 Pages V  « < 10 11 12 13 14 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 24th April 2024, 03:48 AM