BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
3 Pages V  < 1 2 3  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Your most surprising DNQ and qualifier, In your opinion...
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Cowboy Cody
post 9th April 2021, 03:10 AM
Post #41
Group icon
new hair, new tee, new Levii’s Jeans
User: 21,308

QUOTE(Tafty @ Apr 8 2021, 02:17 PM) *
KARA - STEP

So unjust and absolutely heartbroken it failed to qualify. cry.gif My favourite K-Pop song of all time. It's a stunner! One of the most perfect pop songs ever. Deserved to be the first (?) K-Pop winner.
I don't understand why more KARA songs haven't been sent around that time period, I feel like Pandora and Damaged Lady would have been decent sized hits

although if i read the songs of page correctly Asian pop was just flat out ignored by BJSC in 2013 which is kinda sus but okay
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post 9th April 2021, 04:14 AM
Post #42
Group icon
I'm a paragon so don't perceive me
User: 12,929

QUOTE(Cosmic Cody @ Apr 9 2021, 03:10 AM) *
I don't understand why more KARA songs haven't been sent around that time period, I feel like Pandora and Damaged Lady would have been decent sized hits

although if i read the songs of page correctly Asian pop was just flat out ignored by BJSC in 2013 which is kinda sus but okay

Not like it couldn’t do well, in BJSC 50, a month before 2013, two of the top 5 were Asian pop. So that’s better than most periods in BJSC. Swear I remember 4minute getting a hit around that time too, and Namie Amuro and Girls Generation also. Late 2012-early 2013 was the golden age for Asian pop and KARA DNQing was very unexpected and undeserved at the time iirc

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post 9th April 2021, 04:27 AM
Post #43
Group icon
I'm a paragon so don't perceive me
User: 12,929

Of course the issue there is more like the contest is receptive to Asian big names but much less of Asian obscure artists than western obscure artists which is why after that initial period of big name success it became briefly harder to find a hit. But these things go in cycles, one day my love for Japanese music will hit everyone else. One day.

+Quote this post
Cowboy Cody
post 9th April 2021, 04:39 AM
Post #44
Group icon

QUOTE(Iz 💀 @ Apr 8 2021, 09:27 PM) *
Of course the issue there is more like the contest is receptive to Asian big names but much less of Asian obscure artists than western obscure artists which is why after that initial period of big name success it became briefly harder to find a hit. But these things go in cycles, one day my love for Japanese music will hit everyone else. One day.
bruh that's why I thought BJSC 124 was a one-off bc all the K-pop qualified and the biggest hit of all of them was APRIL and they're

a. not girl crush like most K-pop groups that get huge hits like EVERGLOW, ITZY, 4Minute, BP, etc.
b. practically nugu in Korea (before the scandal at least)

at least the Asian pop audience has grown significantly since then which kinda helped

+Quote this post
Cowboy Cody
post 9th April 2021, 04:40 AM
Post #45
Group icon

all i'm saying is that daehun should make a comeback

+Quote this post
152chris
post 9th April 2021, 01:58 PM
Post #46
Group icon
down with jakewild
User: 10,105

when i was looking up things i wanted to send for my return in the songs thread, the GASP i let out when i realised y'all let queen Aya Nakamura dnq with Pookie! honestly!!!

this song is HUGE

+Quote this post
Ghosty.
post 9th April 2021, 05:28 PM
Post #47
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 9,886

Most surprising qualifier is definitely Use My Body While It’s Still Young by Rebekka Karijord and most surprising NQ for me is a toss up between Erdem Kinay’s Isporta, Owlle’s Ticky Ticky and Lucia’s Catastrophe. I was also really gutted when Rachel Zeffira’s The Deserters was snubbed sad.gif

+Quote this post
Brer
post 9th April 2021, 06:12 PM
Post #48
Group icon
is my brain across your walls?
User: 8,300

'Use My Body While It's Still Young' is another one that I remember quite well, didn't know that one was a 'surprise' qualifier ohmy.gif

Definitely remember Owlle being a surprise DNQ though!

+Quote this post
Ghosty.
post 9th April 2021, 11:59 PM
Post #49
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 9,886

I think it was just surprising for me personally, but from the perspective of everybody else, Lone Wolf is probably the most surprising qualifier for Caerfyrddia I’d say?

+Quote this post
Addy!
post 10th April 2021, 04:06 AM
Post #50
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 2,666

Needless to say, this is the most shocking DNQ in BJSC history...I don't know what ya'll were thinking!!!

2NE1 - I Am The Best

and the most surprised qualifier...I just was shocked to see pure 90's club trance qualifying wub.gif

Storm - Huri-Khan

+Quote this post
UltraCruelSummer
post 11th April 2021, 02:09 PM
Post #51
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.
User: 20,947

Qualifier:

Iconic. cheeseblock.png

I still scream every time I actually remember this qualified cheeseblock.png

+Quote this post
awardinary
post 11th April 2021, 02:14 PM
Post #52
Group icon
Here to play, here to stay
Pronouns: he/him
User: 21,587

Oh my. Sam please enter BJSC 134 with something as iconic as this! wub.gif

+Quote this post
dandy*
post 12th April 2021, 07:09 PM
Post #53
Group icon
Mansonette
User: 54

Most surprising qualifier:

Not exactly surprising as such but the DNQs I'd have most liked to have qualified are...

+Quote this post
Harve
post 15th April 2021, 07:39 PM
Post #54
Group icon
Cœur poids plume
User: 4,718

I'm late but:

I think my most surprising DNQs come when I send pop like above, to the point where I probably shouldn't be surprised anymore.

And this was from an era where like 3/4 of my entries were DNQing so I was quite surprised that THIS was the track that stopped me getting 6 DNQs in a row.

+Quote this post
Cowboy Cody
post 14th February 2022, 01:55 AM
Post #55
Group icon

I guess just wanted to bump this bc now I have some actually surprising qualifiers?

The fact that I was convinced that this was gonna flop and almost everyone thought it would DNQ only for it to do pretty well in the end *.*

I think for this one it was a manifestation of me having to reconfirm an ungodly amount of times and as a result feeling very apathetic about how y’all would receive this bc typically if I get vetoed I’m not performing at my highest potential so I thought this was gonna be bottom 3 in the semi… and it came top 15. Expecting disappointment really is my superpower huh

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post 14th February 2022, 04:47 PM
Post #56
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 17,376

I was pleasantly surprised by The Ritchie Family's 1978 flop doing so well, against predicted expectations:

and was a bit "doh!" at my first ever entry not qualifying, not least because it actually should have qualified but for an accounting error, so a belated shout out 10 years later for this 2000 flop, that I loved that year, and later ended up in Kill Bill Volume 2.

Yes this summer will be ten years of Buzzjack Song Contest for Singerpurear, so time permitting I may do a chart Best Of rundown, cos we may be the biggest flop nation of all-time (official!) but as several of them got kudos subsequently or previously outside buzzjack despite DNQ'ing, and my love for almost all of them (bar 2 or 3) remains undimmed, I think they make a fabulous eclectic collection. Well I would wouldn't I? laugh.gif

+Quote this post
diva thin muffin
post 14th February 2022, 05:39 PM
Post #57
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Pronouns: he/him
User: 12,837

Most surprising qualifier: Sam Bluer - Body High
Most surprising DNQ: honestly any one of Klangkarussell, Hayley Kiyoko and Kilian & Jo

Also Sovarasma’s DNQ for BATHSHEBA. Wtf was that mess?

+Quote this post
uhsting
post 14th February 2022, 06:23 PM
Post #58
Group icon
I feel it COMING!
Pronouns: he/they
User: 77,363

Most surprising qualifier: Get F**ked by an Anchor by Seyetana iirc (ikonek)
Most surprising DNQ: Someone Else by Rezz and Grabbitz by Holland-Oats iirc

I still stand by the fact that Seize The Power should never have DNQed and agree with Jafet that the snubbing of BATHSHEBA was a mistake.

+Quote this post
uhsting
post 15th June 2022, 01:53 PM
Post #59
Group icon
I feel it COMING!
Pronouns: he/they
User: 77,363

Bumping this thread to add doechii - Crazy and Simon Goff - Vale to the most surprising DNQ or the most robbed entries in the last two editions! Especially the former I had it down to win the entire thing. ohmy.gif

+Quote this post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 26th April 2024, 11:26 AM