BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Is there room for another UK girlband on the market?, Discuss
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
MyKindOfLove
post May 14 2015, 01:11 PM
Post #1
BuzzJack Regular
Group: Banned
Member No.: 21,030
   No Gallery Pics

Now the Saturdays have decided to go their seperate ways, in which in my view they outstayed their welcome as their output was getting more and more medicore - is there room for another UK girlband on the market?

At the moment Little Mix are on a break and recording for the third album, I am not sure what has happened with Neon Jungle as I know the album didn't sell well and their last single with the home-made video flopped. The American ones like Fifth Harmony and G.R.L. are a bit too American for British taste, the latter sadly will be forever known as a one-hit wonder despite the tragic loss of a member.

Personally, I think we need one more UK girlband - and one that is PURE POP! Not this selling out to America bollocks, but a proper band. We need another Spice Girls/Girls Aloud sort of sounding group again.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
post May 14 2015, 01:22 PM
Post #2
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Members
Member No.: 19,931

It just doesn't seem to appeal to the UK market. If a standout song is pushed by radio, it will perform well, regardless. (Ugly Heart, Braveheart). But people don't seem to get behind them the way they use to. Poor M.O, they really tried.

That being said, I think Little Mix have at least a couple more hits left in them - but they need to strike while the iron is still somewhat hot.

+Quote Post
ThePensmith
post May 14 2015, 01:25 PM
Post #3
They've had the very Tunnocks, Mary
Member No.: 13,208
   No Gallery Pics

I'm pretty sure there was a similar topic along these lines about a year ago. Nevertheless, here's my take on it: it needs to be the RIGHT time for a girl group to do the business again, because now isn't the right time, the charts have got at least another year and a half left of this 'Random faceless dance act feat. Jess Glynne/Sam Smith' craze before that fades out.

I know Little Mix are getting ready to go again soon with a new single, and as I've often said, they're cute ladies, some good songs but I don't feel like I can be as excited about them as other girl groups from recent memory. I reckon they've probably got another album or two in them and then they'll be out of here.

I do agree, though, that what pop needs next a girl group of a similar stance to the Spice Girls, but by that, I don't mean a carbon copy. It needs to be something with their impact but that makes sense to this generation.

Like I've got a four year old niece and I'd like to think in a couple of years' time, once she's at school and of a more impressionable age there'll be a band around like the Spice Girls who'll be a good, positive kind of role model for her like the Spices were for my youngest sister. At least that's what I hope.

+Quote Post
Ryan.
post May 14 2015, 01:30 PM
Post #4
BuzzJack Legend
Member No.: 12,608
   No Gallery Pics

I said this last year in a similar topic but I still think Fifth Harmony are their girlband with the biggest potential and it's starting to finally be realised with the success of 'Worth It'. They have an astoundingly big core fanbase and they have the full package when it comes to being able to sing and dance. Maybe this is their 'Yours Truly' era (albeit with 'Worth It' being 'The Way') and they will have a 'My Everything' era with their next album? It just feels like the foundations are finally being set and the lead single from the next album could be the time they truly hit the jackpot.

In terms of UK girlbands, I think there is room for another one as Neon Jungle did very well singles-wise. At this stage though a pure pop girlband probably wouldn't work well, it'd need to be a band whose songs have house influences - maybe a more manufactured and commercial version of Krewella (with more members).

+Quote Post
Coral5
post May 14 2015, 02:11 PM
Post #5
PTTP
Group: Banned
Member No.: 16,865
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(MyKindOfLove @ May 14 2015, 04:11 PM) *
Personally, I think we need one more UK girlband - and one that is PURE POP!

Sadly, there is no place for Pure Pop on the current music scene. sad.gif
Main reason : music piracy and illegal downloading, pure pop is the most vulnerable music genre, based on the age of genre fans .

This post has been edited by Sword of Justice: May 14 2015, 02:14 PM

+Quote Post
___∆___
post May 14 2015, 07:09 PM
Post #6
BuzzJack Legend
Member No.: 3,155

Neon Jungle had the chance to cement themselves as the leading UK girl group but it all went a bit wrong.

Agree with others there is no place for a pure pop band at the moment and I do think that pop band launches are going to extremely difficult going forward with the impact of streaming etc,

+Quote Post
SGrey
post May 14 2015, 08:09 PM
Post #7
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 20,182

Fifth Harmony or G.R.L. - genuinely can see Neon Jungle being the female Union J though and fade after a second flop album sad.gif

+Quote Post
___∆___
post May 14 2015, 08:23 PM
Post #8
BuzzJack Legend

QUOTE(Sean. @ May 14 2015, 08:09 PM) *
Fifth Harmony or G.R.L. - genuinely can see Neon Jungle being the female Union J though and fade after a second flop album sad.gif

I just hope Neon Jungle get a 2nd album - I don't think the first managed 30,000 sales? They make Union Js debut look like a multi platinum smash laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Dobbo
post May 14 2015, 08:52 PM
Post #9
BuzzJack Legend
Member No.: 20,053
   No Gallery Pics

Certainly don't see Fifth Harmony & even less so G.R.L being consistent performers here at all.

Neon Jungle were always going to be more of a singles act than albums I hope they continue to release music they are by far the best girl group around atm.

+Quote Post
SGrey
post May 15 2015, 06:19 AM
Post #10
BuzzJack Platinum Member

QUOTE(___∆___ @ May 14 2015, 09:23 PM) *
I just hope Neon Jungle get a 2nd album - I don't think the first managed 30,000 sales? They make Union Js debut look like a multi platinum smash laugh.gif

I don't think it even managed 20,000 did it?

QUOTE(Dobbo @ May 14 2015, 09:52 PM) *
Certainly don't see Fifth Harmony & even less so G.R.L being consistent performers here at all.

Neon Jungle were always going to be more of a singles act than albums I hope they continue to release music they are by far the best girl group around atm.

I don't think that's a fair assessment of either given both of them have released two singles here. But yes, Neon Jungle have a killer single discography from Welcome To The Jungle! biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
post May 15 2015, 09:43 AM
Post #11
BuzzJack Legend
Member No.: 19,931

Surely Neon Jungle were a bit of a 1 hit wonder? I enjoyed all their singles as a pop fan, but I think 'Braveheart' was a hit due to being a real standout song for most people. None of their other singles have barley sold 100k even, have they?

Welcome to the Jungle is their second biggest 'hit' which I guess you can call it as it went top 10... 7-15-27-49-78. But still, they were pretty floppy other than that one song.

+Quote Post
___∆___
post May 15 2015, 12:35 PM
Post #12
BuzzJack Legend

QUOTE(Joe. @ May 15 2015, 09:43 AM) *
Surely Neon Jungle were a bit of a 1 hit wonder? I enjoyed all their singles as a pop fan, but I think 'Braveheart' was a hit due to being a real standout song for most people. None of their other singles have barley sold 100k even, have they?

Welcome to the Jungle is their second biggest 'hit' which I guess you can call it as it went top 10... 7-15-27-49-78. But still, they were pretty floppy other than that one song.

Agree they are a flop aside from 'Braveheart' after which they went all Stooshe on us - Both bands had loads of potential but seemed to fade away quickly after big selling singles.

+Quote Post
Jessie Where
post May 15 2015, 12:45 PM
Post #13
Break the tension
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 51

I think we might hear from Neon Jungle again but I don't expect anything they release to make any sort of impact.

G.R.L. I really don't think we'll be hearing from again now which is such a shame, they had such potential and 'Lighthouse' is killer. sad.gif

Fifth Harmony seem to be in a good position to get a hit with 'Worth It', let's see if they can extend it beyond that for album two.

Little Mix I think really have potentially shot themselves in the foot by not releasing album 3 last year (plus all the negative press they got for cancelling their US tour to work on album 3), I think they can get a hit but they've got to pull out all the stops to save themselves from sinking now.

The Saturdays... well.

I think maybe it's time for a new girlband to infiltrate the market.

+Quote Post
Electro Paradise
post May 15 2015, 05:49 PM
Post #14
BuzzJack Enthusiast
Member No.: 11,104
   No Gallery Pics

I really wanted G.R.L to succeed. I'm ready for a GA/Saturdays/G.R.L/PCD type of girl group to succeed.

I love Little Mix and I think they have potential to keep getting better.

I can see 5H entering the UK charts from time to time, but don't see them being a permanent fix over here.

So yes, I am ready for a new girl group too.

+Quote Post
JSG
post May 15 2015, 11:11 PM
Post #15
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 18,473

I just want The Saturdays to come back with something spectacular but they really have to put the effort in and get radio back on board!

+Quote Post
___∆___
post May 16 2015, 09:00 AM
Post #16
BuzzJack Legend

QUOTE(JSG @ May 15 2015, 11:11 PM) *
I just want The Saturdays to come back with something spectacular but they really have to put the effort in and get radio back on board!

The Saturdays have had 7+ years to put some effort in and failed to do so - They could have easily been the premier girl band after Girls Aloud but terrible decisions/marketing/generic songs put a stop to that.

If/when they return they will have to come back with something spectacular as they have disappeared on the back of a flop single, album and tour so will face a battle to get any media interest.

+Quote Post
Ho-Lee Smokes
post May 16 2015, 09:38 AM
Post #17
🙄
Member No.: 10,643

QUOTE(___∆___ @ May 16 2015, 10:00 AM) *
The Saturdays have had 7+ years to put some effort in and failed to do so - They could have easily been the premier girl band after Girls Aloud but terrible decisions/marketing/generic songs put a stop to that.

If/when they return they will have to come back with something spectacular as they have disappeared on the back of a flop single, album and tour so will face a battle to get any media interest.

The Saturdays done incredibly well for themselves tbf, they had four singles that sold over 350,000 with only a couple of singles bombing. Their album sales are a different story but they were the only girl group to stick around for so long while every other group failed.

The Saturdays always had rather disappointing airplay but I still think had they not released 'Gentleman' they would have had an incredibly successful campaign with 'Living For The Weekend' and I doubt 'Finest Selection' would have ended so quickly.

Little Mix - It would be interesting to see if they could manage a campaign without performing on X-Factor and BGT. 'Salute' would have missed the top 30 had it not been for BGT. Their cancelled US show was also a major mistake and it was mainly due to poor ticket sales.

G.R.L - They f***ed up majorly and I doubt radio will support them again which is a great shame as 'Ugly Heart' performed well here.

Neon Jungle - Nu STOOSHE.

+Quote Post
Kuki Sanban
post May 17 2015, 12:03 AM
Post #18
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 5,317
   No Gallery Pics

The Saturdays get a lot of slack which I think is quite unfair to be fair. All 18 of their singles charted in the top 40, 13 of those going top 10. Compared to 99% of other girl groups they've done amazing, so many have come and gone throughout The Sats career, I think they just sometimes get compared to the success set by Sugababes and GA, which is an extremely high standard to reach. However I do think they're finished now and we'll see nothing else by them, and sadly if they were to actually release again it'd do as well as WAYWF.

Neon Jungle - done. Maybe could get another top 40/75 single if their very lucky but I'd say their days are numbered.

GRL - I'd really like to think that they're not over. I do think if they came back with another incredible cheery pop song like "Ugly Heart" then they could get into the top 20 again. I do think they come across as a very american girl group and if they did more UK promo/interviews and actually emphasised the fact Lauren is British and they're technically an American/British girlgroup they could become a bit more accessible here. They might not of course, but I just think it's something nobody is aware of.

Little Mix - As everyone else has said, they've got an album or two left them in, but I don't expect a really long career left ahead of them. I'm very curious as to how their new album will do actually.

Fifth Harmony - I don't think they're going to become massive over here, but I do think some success is about to come their way.

+Quote Post
T Boy
post May 17 2015, 07:33 AM
Post #19
Radical Pink Troll
Member No.: 177
   No Gallery Pics

The Saturdays were only ever held against other successful girl groups-I'm talking Eternal, Spice Girls, All Saints, Atomic Kitten, Sugababes and Girls Aloud. They did ok but they were very far from achieving the success of those other groups.

+Quote Post
SGrey
post May 17 2015, 09:40 AM
Post #20
BuzzJack Platinum Member

As well I think Fifth Harmony and Little Mix have the best teams behind them as well which puts other groups such as Neon Jungle at a disadvantage.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 05:22 PM