BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
> 
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> One Direction members - who will last the longest?
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total votes: 62
Guests cannot vote 
Brightest Blue
post 16th July 2017, 01:46 PM
Post #1
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 23,155

Who will last the longest in terms of being a chart act?

Harry has only been around as a soloist for a couple of months, but he has already scored a #1 single and album! They both did seem to fall off pretty quickly though and I don't see any potential future singles from his album so who knows!

Liam has also got off to a good start, his debut 'Strip That Down' debuted and peaked at 4 and stayed their for a few non consecutive weeks (IIRC?). He has just released a collaboration with Zedd. I personally think that Liam is more of a singles artist.

Louis started off as a soloist back in 2016, with his debut single 'Just Hold On' peaking at 2. He has a new single out on Fridah with Bebe Rexha so I guess we'll have to see how that goes!

Niall has already nabbed a couple of top 10s with his debut 'This Town' and current single 'Slow Hands'. He's yet to release an album but I don't think we'll get that for a little while longer as there are rumours that he has an upcoming single with Ellie Goulding!

Zayn has been going solo for a couple of years now, scoring a #1 single and album with his debuts Pillowtalk and Mind of Mine. Although we have seen recently that he's starting to find it hard to get big chart hits. IDWLF was obviously a big top 5 hit, but that was for Fifty Shades and featured none other than Taylor Swift! The lead single for his 2nd album failed to go top 20. So how much longer will he last?
--------

I think that Niall will last the longest. He seems to be appeal to a much wider audience without it feeling forced (I'm looking at you Harry!) and seems like he'll sell both singles and albums very well.

I feel Louis and Harry won't get too much more success, it's obviously still early days for both but that's just what I think.

Like I said, I do feel Liam is more of a singles artist and I'm just not sure how it's going to turn out! Same with Zayn.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
J00prstar
post 16th July 2017, 02:01 PM
Post #2
Group icon
there's nothing straight about plump Elvis
Pronouns: they/any
User: 22,895

Harry and Zayn have the most chance still. I would put Niall in third. Harry and Zayn haven't really depended on bandwagon-jumping yet so that's still something they have up their sleeves, I also feel they have strong public personas and recognizable image.

Liam and Louis might be hampered by already having children and being in long-term relationships, in the pop world that cuts into how they can be marketed as sex symbols.

+Quote this post
Brightest Blue
post 16th July 2017, 02:02 PM
Post #3
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

I'd say Liam is already being marketed as a sex-symbol.

+Quote this post
danG
post 16th July 2017, 02:04 PM
Post #4
Group icon
🔥🚀🔥
User: 11,746

as a singles act Liam, he seems to be making very Spotify friendly music. Niall will probably sell the most albums though.

+Quote this post
Rooney
post 16th July 2017, 02:13 PM
Post #5
Group icon
WINTER IS COMING
User: 88

They will all last long, social media elevated them all to a significant platform. They're all massive stars in their own right, but appeal to different audiences ofc.

I think Zayn/Niall/Harry will make less 'Spotify' friendly music, but can see Liam/Louis doing the opposite. Both are not stupid and have good teams behind them. Louis is the only one signed to SyCo and I can't actually remember the last time a SyCo artist had a proper big hit.. I think they will pull out all the stops for this single.

+Quote this post
Brightest Blue
post 16th July 2017, 02:15 PM
Post #6
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

I think Syco's last big hit was... #1 hit Shout Out To My Ex?

+Quote this post
Rooney
post 16th July 2017, 02:21 PM
Post #7
Group icon
WINTER IS COMING
User: 88

QUOTE(cq(uavo)merqn @ Jul 16 2017, 03:15 PM) *
I think Syco's last big hit was... #1 hit Shout Out To My Ex?

Yes, my bad!

+Quote this post
post 16th July 2017, 02:25 PM
Post #8
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 19,931

Come on, Touch is Syco's last big hit! But the two songs that Little Mix released afterward were perfectly decent sized hits too.

I think it'll be Zayn and Harry. I don't think either will get more #1s like Sign of the Times and Pillowtalk, but Zayn will still manage moderately big hits like Still Got Time and IDWLF, and do well on streaming and Harry will still be a good album seller.

+Quote this post
Brightest Blue
post 16th July 2017, 02:36 PM
Post #9
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

Oops, forgot that LM released further singles laugh.gif

How many albums did Harry sell in the end though? I don't think that much.

Ps. It's called Still Got Time kink.gif

+Quote this post
ThePensmith
post 16th July 2017, 02:37 PM
Post #10
Group icon
They've had the very Tunnocks, Mary
User: 13,208

Niall will last longest. For the pure and simple reason that the least was expected of him, and yet even as someone who didn't care much for 1D when they were together, he has produced two singles that are simply good pop singles, no fuss or frills to them. As has also been touched on, he has the most likeable and natural appeal to go the distance, simply because he gets on with releasing music and not bothering with any of the extra hype the others rely on.

The other four will keep on being famous in other capacities but I don't see any of them going the distance solo music wise. Zayn and Harry in particular will be the Geri and Victoria of 1D respectively, where their fame/love lives etc will end up greatly outweighing the source of it, and it will get to a point where it will become a millstone around their necks to shift the more they try to release stuff.

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post 16th July 2017, 02:37 PM
Post #11
Group icon
you never forget your first time...
Pronouns: he/him
User: 13,530

Harry has the most potential to last longer as an album artist, seeing as that's the market he's gone for. Zayn is more obvious for singles success, although Liam's off to a very good start too so we'll see how well he holds up I guess! Niall will probably do fairly well in both singles and albums for a while but not as well as Harry or Zayn, while Louis is a total wildcard. Depends how well Back To You is received!

+Quote this post
Brightest Blue
post 16th July 2017, 02:39 PM
Post #12
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

Yeah Niall seems to be the most likeable. Just a nice chap with a good heart I'd say!

He also had the One Love Manchester slot which has helped him out quite a bit!

+Quote this post
ThePensmith
post 16th July 2017, 02:45 PM
Post #13
Group icon
They've had the very Tunnocks, Mary
User: 13,208

QUOTE(cq(uavo)merqn @ Jul 16 2017, 03:39 PM) *
Yeah Niall seems to be the most likeable. Just a nice chap with a good heart I'd say!

He also had the One Love Manchester slot which has helped him out quite a bit!

Exactly! I thought he was fabulous on that, and for me as well his appearance on Graham Norton when he released 'This Town' was what really warmed me to him. Just gutted his tour in September has sold out so quickly, I was looking to go. Here's hoping he does another leg next year after the album's out.

+Quote this post
post 16th July 2017, 03:03 PM
Post #14
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 19,931

Likeable or not I can't see Niall lasting longer than Harry and Zayn or even Liam. Him and Louis have the least star power, sorry to rain on your stan logic Pensmith, Slow Hands is still a tune.

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post 16th July 2017, 03:56 PM
Post #15
Group icon
you never forget your first time...
Pronouns: he/him
User: 13,530

I don't think Niall will ever hit the big time as a soloist, and I definitely wouldn't say the "least" was expected from him either, as surely that'd be Louis, the weakest vocalist of the group?

+Quote this post
J00prstar
post 16th July 2017, 04:29 PM
Post #16
Group icon
there's nothing straight about plump Elvis
Pronouns: they/any
User: 22,895

Yeah, I was thinking of albums/longevity rather than hit singles. Although I wouldn't be surprised to see Harry evolve, from this first doing-your-own-thing album, to releasing a lot of classic British ballad music in the same vein as Adele. I feel Harry's got a lot of potential to branch out which will be buffed up by already being a high-profile member with a lot of high-profile friends.

Liam and Louis are doing well to chase current names in pop and release on-trend stuff though, that might see them well for having several eras of singles chart success.

+Quote this post
Jessie Where
post 16th July 2017, 08:49 PM
Post #17
Group icon
Break the tension
User: 51

None of them will last beyond 2017, but I foresee Zayn popping up as a featured artist every now and then.

+Quote this post
Rafael x
post 16th July 2017, 08:55 PM
Post #18
Group icon
Exemplary Сasual Dating - Actual Girls
Pronouns: Usa
User: 21,878

Niall is coming, yall aint ready.

+Quote this post
ElectroBoy
post 16th July 2017, 08:59 PM
Post #19
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 3,002

I've voted Niall, mainly because I want him to last the longest as he just seems like a good bloke.

Saying that he has bagged 2 top 10 singles - no features from big artists and seems to be gaining support; sell out tour and seemingly gearing up for an album release later this year.

Harry I think will struggle with getting a further hit from his debut album, Louis seems reliant on gimmicks and features when releasing, ZAYN is an odd one - I would've thought initially he may last the distance but thgere just doesn't appear to be the interest there.

Liam I think could do well, but there is just something bland about him as a person

+Quote this post
Rafael x
post 16th July 2017, 09:11 PM
Post #20
Group icon
Exemplary Сasual Dating - Actual Girls
Pronouns: Usa
User: 21,878

And Strip That Down peaked #3, not #4.

+Quote this post