BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
12 Pages V  « < 9 10 11 12 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Harleys In Hawaii • Promo Single, Promotional single
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Cowboy Cody
post 13th November 2019, 11:16 PM
Post #201
Group icon
new hair, new tee, new Levii’s Jeans
User: 21,308

QUOTE(JosephStyles @ Nov 13 2019, 02:52 PM) *
What has this got to do with anything? It wasn't a single from the moment of its release, when nobody COULD have bought it. It's been pointed out more than once.
r/whooosh

in all seriousness I’m on the fence about this. Like I get that this is a promo single but idk if the reason is that they don’t wanna promote something right now or if this is Michael calling his first BJSC entry his “buzz entry” teas
QUOTE(HauntedHaus @ Nov 13 2019, 03:16 PM) *
Her label literally retweeted tweets that called it a single... she needs to fire whoever runs the label's Twitter.
i mean it is a single...

...a promotional single. It’s in the name.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post 13th November 2019, 11:23 PM
Post #202
Group icon
User: 13,007

Yeah exactly, it's a (heavily promoted) promo single.

Promo single =/= NOT A SINGLE!!1

but as mentioned, WHAT is she promoting? Her album that she has said is only coming if there's a demand? What a mess.

+Quote this post
Cowboy Cody
post 13th November 2019, 11:27 PM
Post #203
Group icon

i wish 365 got this amount of promo though </3

+Quote this post
-Jay-
post 13th November 2019, 11:29 PM
Post #204
Group icon
"Jayrusaleminians" - Umi.
Pronouns: he/him
User: 3,217

I wouldn't consider this song as having been "heavily promoted". At least compared to pretty much everything else she's released in the past, this has been a rather low key affair (I don't think its existence on YouTube and streaming, backed by some tweets to alert people to it, counts as heavy promotion).

+Quote this post
-Jay-
post 13th November 2019, 11:36 PM
Post #205
Group icon

QUOTE(#Justice4Wonho @ Nov 13 2019, 11:27 PM) *
i wish 365 got this amount of promo though </3

(Not sure if this is a joke, but) 365 received everything Harleys has received (music video, artwork, remixes) but most importantly... it was sent to radio!!!, so therefore it got more exposure than Harleys. We can call a spade a spade when it comes to 365, it didn't do well at all.

+Quote this post
Long Dong Silver
post 13th November 2019, 11:41 PM
Post #206
Group icon
Buffy/Charmed
User: 18,639

IT WAS A BUZZ ENTRY BEFORE MY REAL FIRST ENTRY!!!

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post 13th November 2019, 11:43 PM
Post #207
Group icon
I found the love, I found the love in me
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 5,042

There was an official email that was leaked a couple of days before that said this wasn't going to be an official single (I even joked about it myself and said to a couple of people "they mean "if this hits more than we expect then we'll push it as a single"") The label haven't sent it out to radio, officially (which is a big indicator, especially in the US). It was a planned single that got scrapped after the video was made and switched in place of Small Talk. ST bombing obviously put them in panic mode and they decided to just get this out there for the fan - seeing as they had a video shot for it, so that they can brush over this.. era (?) and start something new in the future, I imagine (in a similar way to how Rita's management glossed over IWNLYD/Poison/Body On Me and didn't release anything until about 3 years later).

Also, OOI what promotion has this song had?

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post 13th November 2019, 11:45 PM
Post #208
Group icon

OMG I MEAN "fanS"!!! fml

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post 13th November 2019, 11:49 PM
Post #209
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
User: 12,472

There was literally no need for the record company to panic, they should have just swept 'Small Talk' under the carpet as quickly as possible and gave this a proper push. By putting out as a buzz single, they're adding to the confusion and are spoiling the momentum that they built with 'Never Really Over'. They were lucky with that being as big of a hit as it was, I'm not sure they'll be so lucky next time if they intend on starting over.

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post 13th November 2019, 11:58 PM
Post #210
Group icon

QUOTE(Medellíam @ Nov 13 2019, 11:49 PM) *
There was literally no need for the record company to panic, they should have just swept 'Small Talk' under the carpet as quickly as possible and gave this a proper push. By putting out as a buzz single, they're adding to the confusion and are spoiling the momentum that they built with 'Never Really Over'. They were lucky with that being as big of a hit as it was, I'm not sure they'll be so lucky next time if they intend on starting over.
I agree. The main fault with pushing Small Talk, imo, was that they did it SO close to NRO peaking and prevented that from going that little bit further. I get why a lot of artists "rush release" nowadays, but it only makes sense when they're glossing over a song that wasn't quite as big a hit as it should've been. NRO was on it's way to being a huge hit and potentially peaking higher, had they not glossed over it as quickly as they did with ST.

(P.s. when I said they panicked (and basically 90% of my above post aha), it's basically just my reading of the whole situation and it probably didn't happen laugh.gif)

+Quote this post
-Jay-
post 14th November 2019, 12:04 AM
Post #211
Group icon

I will always wish that the label had stuck to their initial plan of going with Harleys second. Not really sure what they/Katy heard in Small Talk that made them think it was worth going with that instead.

I think the label needed to give Never Really Over a bit more breathing space before moving on. They released Small Talk on 9th August, at which point NRO hadn't quite died off. If they'd gone with Harleys instead, I think something like 30th August would have been a good time to strike with it.

The label cutting their losses and essentially putting out Harleys for the sake of it (which is my perspective on how this has been treated) is a shame. I believe it had more potential than that, and they've wasted it. I agree that it is going to cause confusion and ultimately serves to extend the "flop" narrative, which really isn't what Katy needs right now. It seems that the label felt it was more worthwhile putting out what they'd worked on, rather than letting it go unreleased... just without the pressure of striving for a hit single via focus on radio. It's all very messy.

When it comes to the UK, its chart run here is not much worse than Small Talk's, despite the fact that Small Talk had radio and a Friday release (let's remember that Harleys was on a Wednesday). To me that demonstrates that Harleys had better potential.

43-58-71-69-79-92 Small Talk
45-62-73... Harleys in Hawaii

It's kind of frustrating that Katy probably has to go back to the drawing board again, after what was a very good start of course correction with Never Really Over. It's not nice to see her floundering.

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post 14th November 2019, 12:05 AM
Post #212
Group icon

This was found on her official site:

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post 14th November 2019, 12:07 AM
Post #213
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
User: 12,472

QUOTE(Jonjo @ Nov 13 2019, 11:58 PM) *
I agree. The main fault with pushing Small Talk, imo, was that they did it SO close to NRO peaking and prevented that from going that little bit further. I get why a lot of artists "rush release" nowadays, but it only makes sense when they're glossing over a song that wasn't quite as big a hit as it should've been. NRO was on it's way to being a huge hit and potentially peaking higher, had they not glossed over it as quickly as they did with ST.

(P.s. when I said they panicked (and basically 90% of my above post aha), it's basically just my reading of the whole situation and it probably didn't happen laugh.gif)

I guess they may have wanted to capitalise on the success of 'Never Really Over' but I agree they should have waited, plus following up a song so full of life and personality with something so pedestrian was never going to capture the same interests.

Tbf it is logical that they panicked, there has to be some reason why this hasn't received full single treatment and the idea that they wanted to put it out there since it was ready and waiting but also wanted to move on and re-start sounds most realistic.

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post 14th November 2019, 12:10 AM
Post #214
Group icon

QUOTE(Jay ☆ @ Nov 14 2019, 12:04 AM) *
I will always wish that the label had stuck to their initial plan of going with Harleys second. Not really sure what they/Katy heard in Small Talk that made them think it was worth going with that instead.

I think the label needed to give Never Really Over a bit more breathing space before moving on. They released Small Talk on 9th August, at which point NRO hadn't quite died off. If they'd gone with Harleys instead, I think something like 30th August would have been a good time to strike with it.

The label cutting their losses and essentially putting out Harleys for the sake of it (which is my perspective on how this has been treated) is a shame. I believe it had more potential than that, and they've wasted it. I agree that it is going to cause confusion and ultimately serves to extend the "flop" narrative, which really isn't what Katy needs right now. It seems that the label felt it was more worthwhile putting out what they'd worked on, rather than letting it go unreleased... just without the pressure of striving for a hit single via focus on radio. It's all very messy.

When it comes to the UK, its chart run here is not much worse than Small Talk's, despite the fact Small Talk had radio and a Friday release (let's remember that Harleys was on a Wednesday). To me that demonstrates that Harleys had better potential.

43-58-71-69-79-92 Small Talk
45-62-73... Harleys in Hawaii

It's kind of frustrating that Katy probably has to go back to the drawing board again, after what was a very good start of course correction with Never Really Over. It's not nice to see her floundering.
Agreed completely. Harleys as the 2nd single at the end of August would have been perfect timing and I think it would have been a decent hit for her following NRO as they struck whilst the iron was hot, but not too hot. I assume they believed ST to replicate NRO's success as it's quite similar in it's sound/it's more sonically cohesive with NRO than Harleys is, but I feel like Harleys would have been one of those riskier choices that ultimately paid off for her.

+Quote this post
kye
post 14th November 2019, 12:16 AM
Post #215
Group icon
• aesthetic party •
User: 2,169

whoever made the decision to move this clear late-summer single to an autumn release needs a good telling off.

it’s just not going to gel when everything -the video, the vibe of the track, her look - screams sunshine. some may not think that’s important but the connotation that the visuals from a single provides is really what connects you to a track (especially when it’s not being played on radio/in clubs etc).

+Quote this post
Long Dong Silver
post 14th November 2019, 12:24 AM
Post #216
Group icon
Buffy/Charmed
User: 18,639

QUOTE(kye @ Nov 14 2019, 12:16 AM) *
whoever made the decision to move this clear late-summer single to an autumn release needs a good telling off.

it’s just not going to gel when everything -the video, the vibe of the track, her look - screams sunshine. some may not think that’s important but the connotation that the visuals from a single provides is really what connects you to a track (especially when it’s not being played on radio/in clubs etc).

100% THIS!!!

+Quote this post
Cowboy Cody
post 14th November 2019, 12:49 AM
Post #217
Group icon

the way they handled Small Talk was just a giant mistake lol.

Right now it looks like the label have no idea what to establish for an endgame. Would they go the Halsey route and, if they plan on releasing one, scrap ST from the album, put Harley’s in there instead and then release a proper single in 2020? Would they end up starting from scratch and then add NRO as a bonus track? Or will they go the Ariana route and just start from square one? RN I have no idea what they’re planning if they do plan on creating an album in the near future.

+Quote this post
Jessie Where
post 20th November 2019, 02:46 PM
Post #218
Group icon
Break the tension
User: 51

Even though this is a better track than 'Small Talk', I find it hard to believe they don't have anything better than even this up their sleeve if they had a barnstormer like NRO.

+Quote this post
Voodoo
post 21st November 2019, 08:03 PM
Post #219
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 5,829

Yep, definitely not a single!!!1

+Quote this post
JosephBoone