BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> What artists/songs have you sent to BJSC..., ...that have gone on to have mainstream success?
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
gooddelta
post 16th April 2012, 07:32 PM
Post #1
Group icon
Hello?
User: 116

I'm sure most of us have sent a few songs or artists to BJSC that have gone on to have big commerical success, having been 'unknowns' or little knowns before. I always tend to send near complete unknowns to the contest so it hasn't happened much with my entries to be honest. But I was having a think about it earlier and these are mine;

Sara Bareilles - Love Song - 1st in BJSC IV - went top five in the UK a few months later

Pixie Lott - Boys & Girls - 3rd in BJSC XI - went to #1 in the UK a year after I sent it to the contest. Pixie was a complete unknown with only a few hundred MySpace views when I sent this track. I couldn't believe it when she got a UK push and two #1 singles, she seemed so unlike the sort of thing that would do well in the UK. How she's had a successful career here still eludes me infact laugh.gif

Example - Watch The Sun Come Up - 25th in BJSC XVIII - It may have been a misguided choice of entry on my part but I loved this song so much having first discovered him when seeing him support Calvin Harris in May 2009. It later went top 20 in the UK and he's pretty much one of the biggest male artists in the UK. 4th from last though, surely it deserved more than that, it's still one of his best singles in my opinion!

Caro Emerald - A Night Like This - 12th in BJSC XXIV - This entry did a LOT better than I thought it would, I was expecting bottom five but this wonderful jazz-pop crossover seemed to appeal to more people than I'd imagined it would. It didn't particularly light up the UK chart itself but I'd like to think it played a rather large part in her pretty unexpected top five platinum album from last year!

That's all for now but I genuinely believe that all Flares would need is a push to be a monster hit. And I do think that Rae Morris has some sort of career ahead of her, if not now then in the next couple of years.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Addy!
post 16th April 2012, 07:35 PM
Post #2
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 2,666

Esmee Denters - Outta Here comes first to my mind...I think I might have sent more songs that became smash hits in UK/US.

+Quote this post
Liаm
post 16th April 2012, 07:37 PM
Post #3
Group icon
Brown cow, stunning!
User: 10,139

Joe Jonas made the top 75 with See No More shorty after I sent it tongue.gif And that's it.

+Quote this post
Addy!
post 16th April 2012, 07:41 PM
Post #4
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 2,666

I just checked history and damn how many times I finished 2nd in semis and then dropped to #16-#22 range laugh.gif

Vita Chambers, Kim Sozzi, Roisin Murphy, Esmee Denters all finished 2nd in their perspective semis but they all finished outside top10/15 in final :s

+Quote this post
Ghosty.
post 16th April 2012, 07:43 PM
Post #5
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 9,886

None of my entries have had that much success, but Ivi Adamou and The Storm have become a bit more well known since I entered them.

I am of course completely baffled as to why Jodel Time and Itsie Bitsie Boe haven't become the worldwide hits they deserve to be.

+Quote this post
Hitstastic
post 16th April 2012, 07:53 PM
Post #6
Group icon
Sundream
User: 10,347

Mine is quite obviously Gotye featuring Kimbra 'Somebody That I Used To Know'. A song that has managed to become a massive worldwide hit. It was already big in Australia, New Zealand and Belguim when I first corfirmed the track. The success in other countries followed suit. Gotye for US #1 cheer.gif

Which leaves Agnes Obel, SX, Brooke Fraser, Andain, Andre Ola, Amatorski, Kyla La Grange, Studio Killers, Goodwill & Hook N' Sling and Ida all waiting for their big UK breakthrough. It will happen... **wakes up** biggrin.gif

+Quote this post
Ryan.
post 16th April 2012, 08:04 PM
Post #7
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 12,608

My only entry that has gone on to massive success so far as you all know is Carly Rae Jepsen with 'Call Me Maybe'! When I first discovered the track, she was just outside the top 10 on Canadian iTunes and by the time to contest had begun, she had reached #1 there - but had had no success anywhere else.

But now, as we all know, within about a month after the contest ended in February, Carly has now reached #1 in the UK, Ireland, Australia and New Zealand and hit the top 10 in many other countries including the United States! An amazing story for an artist that finished 3rd in Canadian Idol 5 years ago!

Hopefully, Katie Sky will go on to have success here in the UK and can I dream of Diana having as much success as Carly with her next album? kink.gif We'll see! biggrin.gif

+Quote this post
Liаm
post 16th April 2012, 08:08 PM
Post #8
Group icon
Brown cow, stunning!

QUOTE(Hitstastic @ Apr 16 2012, 08:53 PM) *
Mine is quite obviously Gotye featuring Kimbra 'Somebody That I Used To Know'. A song that has managed to become a massive worldwide hit. It was already big in Australia, New Zealand and Belguim when I first corfirmed the track. The success in other countries followed suit. Gotye for US #1 cheer.gif

Which leaves Agnes Obel, SX, Brooke Fraser, Andain, Andre Ola, Amatorski, Kyla La Grange, Studio Killers, Goodwill & Hook N' Sling and Ida all waiting for their big UK breakthrough. It will happen... **wakes up** biggrin.gif

Not a hit by any means, but this is sort of related - Riverside was played on an advert for whatever big football match it was last night when I was watching TV yesterday!

Also Brooke Fraser's Something In The Water went top 200 in the UK, again not a hit but it's something for Batidas tongue.gif

+Quote this post
gooddelta
post 16th April 2012, 08:16 PM
Post #9
Group icon
Hello?

QUOTE(Hitstastic @ Apr 16 2012, 08:53 PM) *

Incidentally, I saw Ode To The Bouncer tracklisted on a new AATW compilation out today, I wonder if it's due for a push? Your strategy(?) of picking songs that are already hits in at least one country might mean that Batidas' entries are more likely to crossover to the UK than most BJSC entries.

+Quote this post
p a v
post 16th April 2012, 08:20 PM
Post #10
Group icon
thanks for being a sarcy lil bitch
User: 4,397

Lenka - The Show

Azealia Banks - 212

Not many sad.gif

+Quote this post
gooddelta
post 16th April 2012, 08:22 PM
Post #11
Group icon
Hello?

What about Loba?

Sending the hotly anticipated comeback single from one of the world's biggest stars was never going to fail to throw up a worldwide hit the following week though I guess!

+Quote this post
Hitstastic
post 16th April 2012, 08:33 PM
Post #12
Group icon
Sundream
User: 10,347

QUOTE(Liаm @ Apr 16 2012, 09:08 PM) *
Not a hit by any means, but this is sort of related - Riverside was played on an advert for whatever big football match it was last night when I was watching TV yesterday!

Also Brooke Fraser's Something In The Water went top 200 in the UK, again not a hit but it's something for Batidas tongue.gif

'Riverside' was used in a TV commercial? ohmy.gif Why didn't I see this? sad.gif It's a shame though because we've had all the piano ballad female vocal cover versions doing well over the last 12 months mainly thanks to the rise of Adele '21' being so hughly successful. Yet 'Riverside' is one of the classiest female vox piano ballads out there. I hope this ends up being used in a big budget TV commercial - it's the only way it can become a hit in its own right.

QUOTE(gooddelta @ Apr 16 2012, 09:16 PM) *
Incidentally, I saw Ode To The Bouncer tracklisted on a new AATW compilation out today, I wonder if it's due for a push? Your strategy(?) of picking songs that are already hits in at least one country might mean that Batidas' entries are more likely to crossover to the UK than most BJSC entries.

The thing is I've always been interested in European countries charts. Even back in the late 90s I was interested in seeing songs becoming big hits, then see them become big UK hits a few months later. I don't see it as a strategy - it's just more representative of me and where my interests lie. Ultimately I do look for a song (Andre Ola aside laugh.gif ) that I genuine really like and choose to confirm that song.

As for 'Ode To The Dancefloor', it would be cool if it did become a UK hit. As we've discussed over the months, any song can become a hit if its given the right exposure.

+Quote this post
CianS
post 16th April 2012, 08:33 PM
Post #13
Group icon
Do Wah Dootastic :D
User: 8,914

XXVI - Two Door Cinema Club - Something Good Can Work

(mainstream is pushing it)

XXVII - Travis McCoy Feat. Bruno Mars - Billionaire
(I knew it would be huge)

XXXI - Royseven - We Should Be Lovers
(Ireland mostly)

+Quote this post
Liаm
post 16th April 2012, 08:34 PM
Post #14
Group icon
Brown cow, stunning!

QUOTE(Hitstastic @ Apr 16 2012, 09:33 PM) *
'Riverside' was used in a TV commercial? ohmy.gif Why didn't I see this? sad.gif It's a shame though because we've had all the piano ballad female vocal cover versions doing well over the last 12 months mainly thanks to the rise of Adele '21' being so hughly successful. Yet 'Riverside' is one of the classiest female vox piano ballads out there. I hope this ends up being used in a big budget TV commercial - it's the only way it can become a hit in its own right.

It was on ITV1, for (I think) the Champion's League final. I was shocked to hear it laugh.gif

+Quote this post
ϑЃεβϘ
post 16th April 2012, 08:45 PM
Post #15
Group icon
I Was Born Free
User: 1,751

My only entry that has gone on to further success is Video Games.

+Quote this post
gooddelta
post 16th April 2012, 08:45 PM
Post #16
Group icon
Hello?

QUOTE(Hitstastic @ Apr 16 2012, 09:33 PM) *
The thing is I've always been interested in European countries charts. Even back in the late 90s I was interested in seeing songs becoming big hits, then see them become big UK hits a few months later. I don't see it as a strategy - it's just more representative of me and where my interests lie. Ultimately I do look for a song (Andre Ola aside laugh.gif ) that I genuine really like and choose to confirm that song.

I think 'niche' or 'method' would have been a better word to use than strategy. Each country has its own way of picking their entries which is why it makes it so fascinating throwing them all into the mix to compete with each other. It was far LESS fascinating when half of us would send inspired entries by unknown/little known acts and the other half would just pluck the hottest superstar leak from the release schedule/Radio 1 playlist. Not exactly a level playing field was it laugh.gif

My 'method' has been the same for at least a few years. Simply send my favourite song at the time that isn't Eurovision related, internet hyped or about to receive/has already had a UK release. So basically the highest widely unknown song in my personal chart at the time of confirmation opening each month laugh.gif

+Quote this post
p a v
post 16th April 2012, 08:49 PM
Post #17
Group icon

QUOTE(gooddelta @ Apr 17 2012, 12:22 AM) *
What about Loba?

Sending the hotly anticipated comeback single from one of the world's biggest stars was never going to fail to throw up a worldwide hit the following week though I guess!

But it wasn't a surprise hit, like 212 or Video Games and such.

+Quote this post
gooddelta
post 16th April 2012, 08:51 PM
Post #18
Group icon
Hello?

QUOTE(Caïn @ Apr 16 2012, 09:49 PM) *
But it wasn't a surprise hit, like 212 or Video Games and such.

The surprise was arguably one of BJSC's most inspired nations ever sending such a song in the first place ohmy.gif Was it ironic rebellion against extreme cheapness, a la Ashton and Riverside?

+Quote this post
p a v
post 16th April 2012, 09:06 PM
Post #19
Group icon

QUOTE(gooddelta @ Apr 17 2012, 12:51 AM) *
The surprise was arguably one of BJSC's most inspired nations ever sending such a song in the first place ohmy.gif Was it ironic rebellion against extreme cheapness, a la Ashton and Riverside?

Did I really send Loba? I want to forget this ever happened biggrin.gif

+Quote this post
gooddelta
post 16th April 2012, 09:11 PM
Post #20
Group icon
Hello?

QUOTE(Caïn @ Apr 16 2012, 10:06 PM) *
Did I really send Loba? I want to forget this ever happened biggrin.gif

So play could be your first top two since The Show? ohmy.gif