BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> RESULTS: Basement Jaxx - The Singles Rate, COMPLETED - see page 4
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Bjork
post Nov 2 2019, 10:39 AM
Post #21
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Members
Member No.: 22,665
   No Gallery Pics

kinda agree with the results so far, dizzy rascal kinda ruins the song rather than help :/
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Iz 🌟
post Nov 2 2019, 10:52 AM
Post #22
I'm a paragon so don't perceive me
Group: Admin.
Member No.: 12,929
   No Gallery Pics

guess I'm just being the contrarian, Samba Magic is great!

however, so much of this is...

+Quote Post
Jade
post Nov 3 2019, 12:00 AM
Post #23
I feel so seen in the night
Group: Buzzjack's Sweetheart
Member No.: 12,810

12. Jus 1 Kiss

Average: 6.39

Highest scores: 10 (Tawdry Hepburn, pippa, Jester), 7 (Nick F1, Jade, Jess Glynne, Bréxit, RabbitFurCoat + SevenSeize)

Lowest scores: 1 (dobbo), 3 (Sleepy Rollo)

Next to drop out is 'Jus 1 Kiss'! This was the second single to be taken from the 'Rooty' album in 2001. I remember being surprised to find out that this got the single treatment before the obvious smash 'Where's Your Head At'! This charted at #23, so you guys are booting out quite a few of their hits with peaks in the 20s early. As for the song itself, it's a groovy and loopy house number, fitting right in with the commercial early-mid noughties dance scene. But not coming with a lewd video like many others from the genre at the time had, instead the package includes pretty trippy visuals that mix both real life images with colourful cartoons. I was surprised to find out that Nile Rodgers has a writing credit for this, but it apparently samples 'You Can't Do It Alone' by Chic (thanks YouTube commenter) so that quickly explains it. I thought this could be a shock contender after its first three scores were ALL 10s, but its popularity quickly tailed off as you can see - with its next highest scores all being 7s! Aw.

~

'Jus 1 Kiss' has actually grown on me more than ever during this rate, but I'd still only put it just above 'U Don't Know Me' in second last (the standard is too high elsewhere!), so this position is just fine.

+Quote Post
Brer
post Nov 3 2019, 12:47 AM
Post #24
I'll just stick around and do some more damage
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 8,300

Ooh 'Flylife' is still alive, it to make the top 10 pls xx

Still nothing particularly disagreeable in these results so far, 'Jus 1 Kiss' is one of their more forgettable songs.

+Quote Post
Bjork
post Nov 3 2019, 09:19 AM
Post #25
BuzzJack Legend
Member No.: 22,665
   No Gallery Pics

Just 1 Kiss is one of their less-good songs, always amazed it was picked was single #2 from Rooty

+Quote Post
gavindeejay
post Nov 3 2019, 11:41 AM
Post #26
Why do today, what you can do tomorrow?
Member No.: 7,645
   No Gallery Pics

Jus 1 Kiss was such a disappointment after the amazing Romeo. Glad they managed to pull back the era with WYHA though it was marmite at the time. You either loved it or hated it!

+Quote Post
Jade
post Nov 3 2019, 05:56 PM
Post #27

11. Flylife

Average: 6.64

Highest scores: 10 (Sleepy Rollo), 9 (Bréxit)

Lowest scores: -1 (dobbo), 5 (Jester, Euphorique, RabbitFurCoat + SevenSeize)

Just missing out on a spot in the top 10 is 'Flylife'! This was originally released as part of Basement Jaxx's 'EP3' in 1996, but was re-released as a single with a new mix in 1997. This turned out to be a successful move as it gave Basement Jaxx their first ever top 40 hit! Not only this, but top 20 hit too - as it peaked at #19. This was a very early example of Basement Jaxx's genre-blending as this song combines house, dancehall, disco, proto-punk and garage influences! Phew. 'Flylife' was largely based on a song called 'Live Your Life with Me' that they produced for singer Corrina Joseph. Her vocals can be heard in 'Flylife', although it is reggae artist Glamma Kid who really takes the lead with his uplifting and energetic vocal delivery. The production and music video are equally as energetic - with the latter featuring a lot of quick dancing. A giraffe can also be found on the single cover, so that's pretty cool too. This song was very well received by critics, with one claiming that both this and 'Samba Magic' created a huge level of hype for their debut album to arrive. 'Flylife' received a decent amount of generous scores but was ultimately hampered by a -1 and handful of average scores.

~

I gave 'Flylife' an 8 but this is another one, like 'Jus 1 Kiss', that has grown on me even more during the rate, could definitely become a 9 in time. Shame it didn't make the top 10 but what is in there is high quality so I look forward to kicking that off tomorrow *.*

+Quote Post
dandy*
post Nov 3 2019, 06:40 PM
Post #28
Mansonette
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 54
   No Gallery Pics

I don't really have any grumbles so far. Flylife is great and was my introduction to Basement Jaxx, used to hear it loads when I was out and it sounded really different to everything else being played back then. Would never have guessed they would go on to be so prolific though!

+Quote Post
Jessie Where
post Nov 4 2019, 10:46 AM
Post #29
Break the tension
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 51

'Just 1 Kiss' has been ROBBED, that is one of their absolute best and a masterpiece! cry.gif

+Quote Post
Jade
post Nov 4 2019, 07:38 PM
Post #30

10. Jump n' Shout

Average: 7.08

Highest scores: 9 (lewistgreen + Bréxit), 8 (Tawdry Hepburn, pippa, Jade, dobbo, dandy*, RabbitFurCoat + SevenSeize)

Lowest scores: 3 (Euphorique), 5 (Jester + gavindeejay)

Just about scraping a position in the top 10 is 'Jump n' Shout'! This is the first song announced so far to not receive a single 10, but it is also the first with a 7+ average. Looks like a whopping 7 sets of 8 plus the two 9s helped it out. Basement Jaxx's dancehall efforts have not really set the rate alight, with this dropping out straight after 'Flylife'. 'Jump n' Shout' also incorporates house and UK garage influences. It was the third single to be taken from their debut album 'Remedy' in 1999 and reached #12 in the chart. MC Slarta John takes the lead on this song with his quick-fire delivery. It's so chaotic that the lyrics are hard to make out in places. But trust me, they're fabulous. A particular highlight is "but some a fool, never know di rule, dem never did go to Basement Jaxx school" - so random! Once again, like 'Flylife', the production is as equally mad and the video matches up well to the energy of the song. Everyone looks like they're having such a good time in it!

~

I've been listening to 'Jump n' Shout' more than ever, after picking up the single on vinyl in my local independent record store a couple of months ago. So much fun!

+Quote Post
lewistgreen
post Nov 4 2019, 07:42 PM
Post #31
BuzzJack Legend
Member No.: 19,585

Yay I love this one, craziness and all.

+Quote Post
Dobbo
post Nov 4 2019, 07:44 PM
Post #32
BuzzJack Legend
Member No.: 20,053
   No Gallery Pics

First good song to depart. Very brash, in your face, I like it.

+Quote Post
Brer
post Nov 4 2019, 07:46 PM
Post #33

Aw, a couple of my higher scores going out now - 'Flylife' like I said was a great discovery that I didn't know of before and I wasn't super familiar with 'Jump N' Shout' either but it did sound slightly familiar so I must have heard it somewhere before, it is a really fun song indeed.

+Quote Post
Jade
post Nov 5 2019, 06:52 PM
Post #34

9. Do Your Thing

Average: 7.28

Highest scores: 11 (dandy*), 10 (lewistgreen + Jade)

Lowest scores: 0 (dobbo), 4 (Euphorique)

Next to drop out is 'Do Your Thing'! This is the first song announced so far to have received an 11 - with dandy giving it the honour. 'Do Your Thing' was originally released as part of Basement Jaxx's 'Rooty' album in 2001, but was re-released in 2005 following 'The Singles', where it achieved its peak of #32. The song is often used on TV and in films, with the likes of Barnyard and Secret Life of Pets including it in scenes. This is a bright and motivational uptempo number from Basement Jaxx. Elliot May is the woman who provides the vocals for all of the catchy hooks throughout. A trumpet is a prominent feature too. The video is as colourful as the song, where the lyrics are cleverly featured through a range of t-shirts being worn by several people. Basement Jaxx creating a lyric video before it was cool. This single from them feels more well-known than its peak would suggest.

~~~

My love for 'Do Your Thing' was reignited this year when it was used at two of the Strictly-related tours I went to ('Here Come The Girls' and 'Strictly Come Dancing: The Professionals') - such a fantastic feel-good song from them wub.gif it deserved more in the chart and also a bit better in this rate too!

+Quote Post
danG
post Nov 5 2019, 07:00 PM
Post #35
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 11,746
   No Gallery Pics

was expecting a bit more for Do Your Thing here but it's not one of my top faves.

+Quote Post
dandy*
post Nov 5 2019, 08:20 PM
Post #36
Mansonette
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 54
   No Gallery Pics

I'm not actually sure that Do Your Thing should be my 11 but that's how it fell when I rated. It's a great and utterly joyous song, when I'm in the right mood it is one of the most fun things you can ever listen to happy.gif

+Quote Post
Dobbo
post Nov 5 2019, 08:54 PM
Post #37
BuzzJack Legend
   No Gallery Pics

Ugh that one is just hella annoying. Think you're right, I've heard it way too much on TV/ads etc. to the point of frustration.

Think that's all the duds out the way now!

+Quote Post
Jade
post Nov 6 2019, 07:11 PM
Post #38

8. Rendez-Vu

Average: 8.06

Highest scores: 10 (Jester, Jade, dandy* + SevenSeize), 9 (Euphorique)

Lowest scores: 6 (lewistgreen + gavindeejay), 7 (Nick F1, dobbo, Sleepy Rollo + Bjork)

At #8 it's the first song so far with an average of at least 8 - how satisfying. This is 'Rendez-Vu'! It was released as the second single from Basement Jaxx's first album 'Remedy' in 1999. It was a huge success and became the group's highest peaking song in the U.K. - with a chart position of #4. BuzzJack wasn't quite as keen, as despite getting no scores below 6, 'Rendez-Vu' couldn't quite crack the top 5 here. This placement leaves 'Red Alert' and 'Bingo Bingo' as the last singles standing from 'Remedy'. Back to 'Rendez-Vu', this is a bit different for one of their hit singles as the vocals are heavily edited to an unrecognisable extent, plus a guitar is used as as a prominent feature to set the mood. The playing of that really goes wild in the middle 8! The concept of the music video has got to be one of their most random as it turns out to be a dog's dream! An action-packed one at that as there's a showdown between a jealous Mexican wrestler boyfriend and another man. Unlike 'Do Your Thing', where I mentioned that it feels bigger than its peak would suggest, 'Rendez-Vu' feels the opposite - definitely not one of their songs that has made the biggest lasting impact, despite the peak. A handful of their songs do feel bigger.

~~

I have such a soft spot for 'Rendez-Vu' wub.gif the guitar was such a genius incorporation and the vocals are quite endearing in a way. If only this charted a few spots higher at #1, then it would've been a birthday #1 for me! I would've liked to see it a bit higher in this rate but an average of 8.06 is nothing to be sniffed at of course.

+Quote Post
Dobbo
post Nov 6 2019, 07:12 PM
Post #39
BuzzJack Legend
   No Gallery Pics

Yeah that's a weird one to be their highest charting single, probably a fact most non-hardcore fans wouldn't necessarily know.

Good track but not among their essential.

+Quote Post
Brer
post Nov 6 2019, 07:56 PM
Post #40

'Rendez-Vu' the long lost second hit single for Eiffel 65 xx (definitely is a weird one to be their highest charting song).

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 05:47 AM