BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
7 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Elon Musk buying Twitter
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
zenon
post 28th October 2022, 04:48 PM
Post #21
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 8,809

Think this the beginning of the end of Twitter as we know it and if Milo Yiannopoulous is allowed back then I'm done.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Jade
post 28th October 2022, 04:50 PM
Post #22
Group icon
Alone and wounded
Pronouns: She/her
User: 12,810

Donald Trump endorsing this says it all

+Quote this post
Chez Wombat
post 28th October 2022, 04:54 PM
Post #23
Group icon
The owls are not what they seem
Pronouns: He/him
User: 9,232

Parler might as well be discontinued now as all the prominent names there will be allowed back, grim times, at least I never go on it!

+Quote this post
uhsting
post 28th October 2022, 09:18 PM
Post #24
Group icon
I feel it COMING!
Pronouns: he/they
User: 77,363

+Quote this post
dhwe
post 29th October 2022, 02:44 AM
Post #25
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 21,384

the groypers have been out in full force today which is disheartening but here's some perspective: https://www.theverge.com/2022/10/28/2342813...eech-moderation

twitter won't turn into a fascist playground without losing a lot of advertising money bc no sensible brand will want to be associated. as long as advertisers start jumping ship or otherwise divesting in any way, there's no way Elon will break even considering he also bought it for a staggering amount of money, and unfortunately I don't think the friendly advertisers (e.g. mypillow, gun manufacturers, snake oil dealers, that ilk) will do much to make up for it. so unless Elon implements some form of content moderation, he stands to lose a lot of money. it happened with tumblr, it can happen again!

either way, that website is unusable, I just want to see Elon lose.

+Quote this post
Cowboy Cody
post 29th October 2022, 06:46 AM
Post #26
Group icon
new hair, new tee, new Levii’s Jeans
User: 21,308

this decade has been trash literally

+Quote this post
inactiveaccount
post 29th October 2022, 11:13 AM
Post #27
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 1,030

What an interesting turn of events… i’m on the fence about Twitter. Whilst its a school playground, I dunnonhow its governed.

+Quote this post
ta-ra*el~la
post 30th October 2022, 10:34 AM
Post #28
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 18,962

I don't know if Musk owning Twitter is really that bad. I don't agree with his politics but I can't see how it can be too bad.

Re Trump back on - he needs some exposure so people can remember how bad he is. Right now, young people are cooling off Biden because they don't have the threat of Trump. Trump back on Twitter can help Biden win in 2024. Otherwise it might be DeSantis, who is 100x worse than Trump at least.

Re free speech - we fight bad ideas with good ideas. There is no escaping doing this hard work. US Dems and UK Labour are losing because they fail to show up to the debate properly. Therefore, might as well debate the 'biggest names' of the Right when they come back, so we win fair and square in the marketplace of ideas.

+Quote this post
Long Dong Silver
post 30th October 2022, 10:45 AM
Post #29
Group icon
Buffy/Charmed
User: 18,639

Nope, that's NOT why Corbyn lost rotf.gif Try again.

+Quote this post
tommie
post 30th October 2022, 11:06 AM
Post #30
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 8,073

I guess at least it didn't get sucked into the Google machine ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

This post has been edited by tommie: 30th October 2022, 11:07 AM

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post 30th October 2022, 11:34 AM
Post #31
Group icon
I'm a paragon so don't perceive me
User: 12,929

QUOTE(ta-ra*el~la @ Oct 30 2022, 10:34 AM) *
I don't know if Musk owning Twitter is really that bad. I don't agree with his politics but I can't see how it can be too bad.

Re Trump back on - he needs some exposure so people can remember how bad he is. Right now, young people are cooling off Biden because they don't have the threat of Trump. Trump back on Twitter can help Biden win in 2024. Otherwise it might be DeSantis, who is 100x worse than Trump at least.

Re free speech - we fight bad ideas with good ideas. There is no escaping doing this hard work. US Dems and UK Labour are losing because they fail to show up to the debate properly. Therefore, might as well debate the 'biggest names' of the Right when they come back, so we win fair and square in the marketplace of ideas.

Musk owning Twitter might not lead to huge political changes because of market forces (though I'm sure he will try), as this wonderful article demonstrates: https://www.theverge.com/2022/10/28/2342813...eech-moderation

However, that analysis isn't really borne out by reality. Deplatforming is proven to be effective at stopping extremists from creating new followers, and for all that some will get lost in the mires of Gab, Parler or Truth Social, those numbers will be tiny and in-convertible. But this isn't really about debates, though American fascists and their dishonest counterparts across the world are not interested in debates as much as it gives them a chance to air their ideas as simple alternatives to the status quo. You don't debate with fascists. Now, debates have their place, and those seeking to have them with good intentions are already thriving on Twitter. But this is really about the confusion of free speech for insulting and hate speech, which gets you removed from public places in real life, as it should online.

also, tangential to the main point, Biden's disapproval ratings are more based in a poor economy and inflation, which always goes against the incumbent even when it doesn't make sense. Trump has proven resilient enough too, with the election stolen myth he's getting by without the use of Twitter. Republican resurgence is the full radical conservative playbook used against a president who for all his policy actually being very effective, is an easy target. And some of that playbook involves railing against censorship on big social media, but it's no more sophisticated than not being able to say the n-word.

+Quote this post
Long Dong Silver
post 30th October 2022, 11:46 AM
Post #32
Group icon
Buffy/Charmed

I once realised someone was a fascist in real life, aside from the red flags, due to him challenging the status quo, all political sides, and shouting, what is the solution?! What is the solution?! Then giving ... strange solutions, let's say. There was no debating with him.

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post 4th November 2022, 05:39 AM
Post #33
Group icon
I'm a paragon so don't perceive me
User: 12,929

Well, it seems Elon's just crazy. Half of Twitter staff are being let go with zero warning, he's full on introducing the system that will allow people to impersonate celebrities for $8 a month and seems to be floating yet more hostile ideas, like allowing people to pay to send DMs to celebrities. His advertising is going to tank.

Twitter's value is not its profit-making ability, it's useless at that, it is its userbase. Incredibly, celebrities, journalists, politicians and prominent businessmen around the world all log on and can't seem to log off a site where ordinary users can have almost direct access to them. And yet Elongated Muskrat is doing his best to make the platform hostile to them.

I really think he had a look at the balance books, saw the loss, and put his dumb business brain to work at profit-making ideas to make his new investment not lose him money. Certainly not this promised 'digital town square'.

+Quote this post
Silas
post 4th November 2022, 06:51 AM
Post #34
Group icon
Queen of Soon
User: 3,474

Fundamentally I don’t think he understands what he actually bought, how people outside of his weird stans actually use it, nor is capable of reaching beyond his weird corrupted echo chamber to actually understand why what he’s doing is f***ing stupid and will tank the site. Charging for verification is dumb as f*** and just doesn’t understand why it’s their in the first place and now him and his weird nerd army are posting all about how celebs are crying at the loss of a status symbol or because „the plebs“ can now buy status. No dipshit it’s because you haven’t even bothered your arse to understand your f***ing product before you’ve steamrolled in and broken it

Though part of me feels like tanking it is deliberate because he was forced to buy it after his little attempt at grifting didn’t work.

The man is piss on his grave levels of abhorrent. The sooner his little business empire implodes in on itself and he finds himself in that aforementioned grave, the better for humanity. Just have to hope he doesn’t do too much damage to democracy and life before then

And Teslas are f***ing awful cars. They have some good battery tech but literally that’s it and the rest of the industry is extremely rapidly catching up. Their „self-driving“ programming is murderous, the electric motor isn’t particularly advanced (for example, Renault-Nissan built one that requires no rare earth metals), and the build quality is diabolical. The interior is cheap and ill fitting and then the panel gaps on the outside are large enough to drive a double decker through.

+Quote this post
Long Dong Silver
post 4th November 2022, 07:26 AM
Post #35
Group icon
Buffy/Charmed

Did he basically buy this to reinstate Trump, and then panic once he rralised how much of a momey-pit it is?

+Quote this post
inactiveaccount
post 4th November 2022, 08:49 AM
Post #36
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

I do kinda agree with his notion of free speech. Its weird to ban Azealia Banks for example but let some US officials still be on there. I say everyone should be allowed on it.

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post 4th November 2022, 09:03 AM
Post #37
Group icon
I found the love, I found the love in me
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 5,042

QUOTE(dannjohn @ Nov 4 2022, 08:49 AM) *
I do kinda agree with his notion of free speech. Its weird to ban Azealia Banks for example but let some US officials still be on there. I say everyone should be allowed on it.
Are you not confusing free speech with hate speech?

+Quote this post
J00prstar
post 4th November 2022, 01:24 PM
Post #38
Group icon
there's nothing straight about plump Elvis
Pronouns: they/any
User: 22,895

It's kind of hilarious. Who would have thought that Twitter, a platform that seemed indomintable, would willingly make itself into the next Yahoo?

Good on the owners for getting out tbh. At this rate he'll sell it back to them at a loss.

+Quote this post
inactiveaccount
post 4th November 2022, 04:03 PM
Post #39
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

what do you mean the next yahoo?

+Quote this post
J00prstar
post 4th November 2022, 06:54 PM
Post #40
Group icon
there's nothing straight about plump Elvis
Pronouns: they/any
User: 22,895

Yahoo used to be the market leader in search engines AND email, before Google existed. Somehow despite being the biggest thing in the market with the biggest name recognition, it managed to tank itself to the extent that google became a verb 'to use a search engine'.

+Quote this post

7 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 25th April 2024, 12:54 PM