BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
> -
16 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Streaming | General Discussion, FAQs, debates, etc.
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
btljs
post Jan 8 2016, 11:18 PM
Post #41
Group icon
BuzzJack Climber
User: 22,084
QUOTE(diamondtooth @ Dec 24 2015, 10:02 PM) *
That does answer my question! Thank you!
But it's might be a little unfair. Just say an (unpopular) album is getting a sale of 0.5 EVERY week, it's streaming sales would always remain at zero becaus it might never reach a sale of '1' within a particular week.

Obviously my scenario about is just an example. Of course bringing sales to the level of decimal places is not very important.

It doesn't make any difference if it's 0.5 or 1, it counts towards its weekly total and its cumulative total. You could get 0.5 sales per week all year long and have 25 sales at the end of the year. As it's track streams/1000, it could actually get 0.001 of a sale in a week. It means we are unlikely to ever get exact ties in the charts.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
btljs
post Jan 8 2016, 11:32 PM
Post #42
Group icon
BuzzJack Climber
User: 22,084
QUOTE(JosephMendes @ Jan 8 2016, 07:17 PM) *
I think that's a good way of looking at things PumpedUpKicks. We just have to alter our expectations. Newer songs will climb in later on, rather than being a flop in week 1. This is why the shift to OA/OS is important too, because with held-back releases, their peak tends to be considerably lower.

But look how the number of new songs is falling: http://www.polyhex.me.uk/uksingles/new-ent...n-chart-uks.cfm

2015 was down to 1975 levels (when there was only a top 50) and this was while streaming was going up throughout the year (enabling new songs to get higher streaming peaks). The warning bells should be ringing about chart stagnation: Bieber monopolising the top 5 with album tracks for three months, two Ed Sheeran album tracks in the top 50 after 80 weeks on the chart. There are only so many spaces for new songs to slot into. I think some tweaks are going to be needed.

+Quote this post
Doctor Blind
post Jan 9 2016, 10:16 AM
Post #43
Group icon
#38BBE0 otherwise known as 'sky blue'
User: 7,561
It's more to do with UK radio (dominated by Global Media) playing a smaller and smaller range of music which in turn leads to a less diverse range of songs being bought - which in turn leads to the radio playlisters deciding against listing new music. A negative feedback loop which stifles and stagnates the singles chart.

Streaming is an easy target, but we had EXACTLY the same points raised with downloads when they first emerged (OMG!! an unlimited run of a single which never is not on sale).

+Quote this post
girl_from_oz
post Jan 9 2016, 12:36 PM
Post #44
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 10,540
I blame the playlists, especially if some people are just listening to the chart playlists

+Quote this post
Popgeek
post Jan 9 2016, 05:00 PM
Post #45
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 8,610
I know that only 10 streams from the same user per day count towards a songs' sales total but If for example I listened to Justin Biebers' "Sorry" 10 times from his album "Purpose" and 10 times from a compilation album does those 20 plays count?

+Quote this post
Popgeek
post Jan 9 2016, 05:02 PM
Post #46
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 8,610
QUOTE(Doctor Blind @ Jan 9 2016, 10:16 AM) *
It's more to do with UK radio (dominated by Global Media) playing a smaller and smaller range of music which in turn leads to a less diverse range of songs being bought - which in turn leads to the radio playlisters deciding against listing new music. A negative feedback loop which stifles and stagnates the singles chart.

Is Heart FM owned by Global Media by any chance?

+Quote this post
Doctor Blind
post Jan 9 2016, 05:07 PM
Post #47
Group icon
QUOTE(Jack Murs @ Jan 9 2016, 05:00 PM) *
I know that only 10 streams from the same user per day count towards a songs' sales total but If for example I listened to Justin Biebers' "Sorry" 10 times from his album "Purpose" and 10 times from a compilation album does those 20 plays count?

No - but if you streamed a track by the Beatles which appeared on many different albums in the bizarre made-up crazy world of the album streaming chart it would count for two different albums (the two highest in the chart).

QUOTE(Jack Murs @ Jan 9 2016, 05:02 PM) *
Is Heart FM owned by Global Media by any chance?

Yes. They own Capital, Heart Classic FM, Smooth Radio, LBC, Radio X (formerly XFM), and loads of others. Basically its a monopoly and everyone just quietly ignores it.

+Quote this post
fchd
post Jan 9 2016, 05:30 PM
Post #48
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 6,639
So, let me see if I'm understanding this. If I were to stream, say "Fight Song" by Rachel Platten, that would count for "Now 92"'s streaming figures and here own "Wildfire" album, plus the singles chart?

(only used this as an example as it was the last song that played from my mp3 collection)

+Quote this post
fchd
post Jan 9 2016, 05:30 PM
Post #49
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 6,639
So, let me see if I'm understanding this. If I were to stream, say "Fight Song" by Rachel Platten, that would count for "Now 92"'s streaming figures and her own "Wildfire" album, plus the singles chart?

(only used this as an example as it was the last song that played from my mp3 collection)

This post has been edited by fchd: Jan 9 2016, 05:31 PM

+Quote this post
Doctor Blind
post Jan 9 2016, 05:33 PM
Post #50
Group icon
I don't think it works with compilation albums - or they'd always be in the album streaming chart.

Where a track appears on more than one album by an artist, streams of this track will be attributed equally to each studio album and a maximum of one greatest hits album (the hits title with the highest sales DUS for that given week, or other hits title nominated in advance by label).

But given the amount of Beatles entries in the chart on 1 January, I'd imagine this rule isn't being that strictly applied and basically it is being made-up as they go along.

This post has been edited by Doctor Blind: Jan 9 2016, 05:34 PM

+Quote this post
Bjork
post Jan 9 2016, 06:48 PM
Post #51
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 22,665
you sure? cos when you listen to an album track, you choose the album you wanna hear it from, i.e. if I wanna listen to Everything I Do I can chose from Waking Up the Neighbours or from So Far SO Good... so it should count for the album I chose to listen from

+Quote this post
Yorkie3
post Jan 9 2016, 07:16 PM
Post #52
Group icon
BuzzJack Regular
User: 22,818
I think the system would make more sense if it wasn't made up of a total of points of specific tracks - sure it's been suggested before, haven't been following any discussions recently, but say a streaming sale of an album is only attributed if the same person listens to a certain number of tracks from it. The current system seems strange because for every stream of a song, you're contributing to both the singles and albums chart. (Unless you're streaming one of the two most popular tracks from the album, I know)

+Quote this post
Catherine91
post Jan 9 2016, 08:24 PM
Post #53
Group icon
BuzzJack Climber
Pronouns: she/her
User: 22,774
I wonder how much the streaming proportion of the chart would decrease if only whole-song streams were counted? It seems odd that listening to a song for 30 seconds 100 times is worth as much as buying it once.

+Quote this post
Doctor Blind
post Jan 9 2016, 08:44 PM
Post #54
Group icon
QUOTE(Bjork @ Jan 9 2016, 06:48 PM) *
you sure? cos when you listen to an album track, you choose the album you wanna hear it from, i.e. if I wanna listen to Everything I Do I can chose from Waking Up the Neighbours or from So Far SO Good... so it should count for the album I chose to listen from

Well it doesn't, it counts to all the albums from that artist it appears on plus the Greatest Hits. Crazy but true.

I just think streaming shouldn't be incorporated into the album chart whatsoever - on the whole it isn't used to listen to albums and the only reason it is used is to artificially inflate figures.

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post Jan 9 2016, 08:52 PM
Post #55
Group icon
you never forget your first time...
Pronouns: he/him
User: 13,530
QUOTE(Catherine91 @ Jan 9 2016, 08:24 PM) *
I wonder how much the streaming proportion of the chart would decrease if only whole-song streams were counted? It seems odd that listening to a song for 30 seconds 100 times is worth as much as buying it once.

Welcome to the forum biggrin.gif

How would you define a "whole-song" though? Because many songs have a couple of seconds of silence at the end, people may pause there and play the next song without even getting to the actual end. I think 30 seconds is a good compromise, it's not often that people would only hear 30 seconds each time and switch I'm sure.

+Quote this post
edward
post Jan 9 2016, 09:02 PM
Post #56
Group icon
New Entry
User: 12,456
I read that physical and digital sales still account for twice as much revenue as streaming but yet streaming seems to account for more than twice as much of the singles charts as sales. It seems to me the weighting for streaming is about 4-5 times too high currently.

+Quote this post
Doctor Blind
post Jan 9 2016, 09:22 PM
Post #57
Group icon
Well in 2015 the total market was up 3.5% year-on-year to a total retail value of £1.059 billion with £251m (23.7% of total revenue) contributed by streaming with a 22.1% share of the total market.

Therefore it looks a pretty good weighting to me.

+Quote this post
The Hit Parade
post Jan 9 2016, 10:16 PM
Post #58
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 18,521
Commercial radio is really more of a duopoly between Global and Bauer (who own Absolute, Kiss, Magic and a lot of local stations in Scotland, Northern Ireland and the North of England). But Global do have most of the hitmaking stations.

+Quote this post
Catherine91
post Jan 10 2016, 10:01 AM
Post #59
Group icon
BuzzJack Climber
Pronouns: she/her
User: 22,774
QUOTE(JosephMendes @ Jan 9 2016, 08:52 PM) *
Welcome to the forum biggrin.gif

How would you define a "whole-song" though? Because many songs have a couple of seconds of silence at the end, people may pause there and play the next song without even getting to the actual end. I think 30 seconds is a good compromise, it's not often that people would only hear 30 seconds each time and switch I'm sure.

Thanks for the welcome! smile.gif

Good point about the silence at the end. Another thought to add to my original post, though - if 100 people per day listen to a particular song for 30 seconds and then skip, it would add up to 7 'sales' by the end of the week, despite the fact that those people barely listened to the song.

+Quote this post
Bjork
post Jan 10 2016, 10:15 AM
Post #60
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 22,665
QUOTE(Doctor Blind @ Jan 9 2016, 09:44 PM) *
Well it doesn't, it counts to all the albums from that artist it appears on plus the Greatest Hits. Crazy but true.

I just think streaming shouldn't be incorporated into the album chart whatsoever - on the whole it isn't used to listen to albums and the only reason it is used is to artificially inflate figures.

Crazy indeed and nonsensical imho
I do think streaming should go into the album charts but calculated in a different way like they do in Scandinavia... if you listen to an album on Spotify and you go and listen to > x% of the songs, then you got an album sale, and that counts for the album charts only and not for the singles charts. That makes sense to me and doesn't allow double counting... if you just listen to 2-3 songs, then you don't contribute to the album charts but the singles charts...

+Quote this post

16 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 users are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 12:53 PM