BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> ONE YEAR ON: Glory, Brit's 9th studio album!
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Tafty³³³
post Aug 25 2017, 10:19 PM
Post #1
Group icon
I found the love, I found the love in me
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 5,042
So TODAY marks the one year anniversary of the release of her 9th studio album, 'Glory'.

How do you feel about it right now? Has the album managed to stick with you throughout the year? Have you grown out of favour perhaps?

How would you have handled the singles for the era? What songs were your faves and least faves? Are they still there in your affections?
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post Aug 25 2017, 10:24 PM
Post #2
Group icon
I found the love, I found the love in me
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 5,042
Still absolutely ADORE this album. Everything about it was and is stellar, fresh and on point. It's a shame the label decided to mess up the Make Me video release and failed to get promo for the smash that never was, 'Slumber Party'.

'Just Luv Me' deserved single treatment. 'Liar', 'If I'm Dancing' & 'No Seas Cortes' are 3 of her greatest bonus tracks of all time for me.

This album is still a part of her holy trinity for me. Along with Blackout and In The Zone ofc. Her vocals are the most natural and raw that they have sounded since 'Oops' imo! It's a shame this album was never given a proper chance after release. It's banger after banger and the worst on it is still "good"!

+Quote this post
No Sleeep
post Aug 25 2017, 10:39 PM
Post #3
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 22,008
I can't believe it's been a year already ohmy.gif This is definitely still up there with her best. I'm still amazed, the past... half-decade maybe, was a really trying time to be a Britney fan, but we always knew she had something like this up her sleeve wub.gif It's not a big fan favourite really but 'Man On the Moon' is my personal fave from this album, and is definitely in my top 10 all-time Britney songs wub.gif The way I felt when I first listened to this album was exactly the way I felt when I first listened to Blackout and Circus... this just solidified her place as my #1 all time favourite artist wub.gif

I know people complain about promotion and the Make Me video... could she have done more? Yes. Do I care? Not really. She still promoted here in the UK which is extremely rare, who thought we'd ever see Britney on Loose Women? laugh.gif I just wish the era would have lasted longer, it deserved so much more than 2 music videos and the Slumber Party video was so underrated.

My holy trinity is still Man On the Moon, Invitation and Private Show. Do You Wanna Come Over has really grown on me too!

+Quote this post
Liаm
post Aug 27 2017, 04:50 AM
Post #4
Group icon
Brown cow, stunning!
User: 10,139
This was such a return to form for her, I didn't think Britney Jean was THAT bad from a personal stand point (I adored Alien, Passenger, Tik Tik Boom and Perfume) but it was quite messy and just not really the sort of stuff she should release. Espcially the fact it was self titled and supposed to be personal, yet Myah Marie sings half the album highlight nd it was a bunch of generic EDM that anyone could release, by and large.

She just sounds so at home on Glory, I eve quite like Clumsy which feels like it should be on Britney Jean but I still like it. But sons like Invitation, Just Luv Me, Man On The Moon and Do You Wanna Come Over? are the most comfortable she's sounded in absolutely years, they feel like the exact fit for her to release. It reminds me of Selena's Revival really, not in a negative way to say it's a copy, but it feels such a natural album in the same way as that, its varied but the majority of it feels very much like Britney and who she is now and the road she should keep on going down. It's contemporary but it doesn't desperately chase every trend going. I wish it was more of a commercial success for he because it was such a fab album, I think it's behind only Blackout for me of her albums ohmy.gif I never really got into Make Me, and still don't think that much of it tbh, so that combined with Britney Jean left me expecting so little from this album, so the punch of it being one of my fave albums of 2016 was such a shock laugh.gif

+Quote this post
Umi
post Aug 27 2017, 09:56 AM
Post #5
Group icon
All I See br29
User: 14,659
I still think it's a great album, and it was SORELY needed because she hadn't knocked it out of the park fully since Blackout. I don't listen to it too much these days, but when I do it's so easy to get through the entire album and the highs are still so good. My biggest criticism of it now would be that it doesn't really have the ability to hook me in these days, which is why I don't listen to it very often, but when I remember I enjoy it, it's still a wonderful collection.

It's such a shame how poorly managed the era was. Two singles is a tragedy.

+Quote this post
blacksquare
post Aug 27 2017, 12:15 PM
Post #6
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 23,471
Her best album since Blackout easily

I feel like if Better had been Generic Male DJ (feat. Britney Spears) last summer leading into Make Me (which is a bop and people would feel differently had the video not been terrible) or Just Luv Me then things could have gone better. Imagine a Change Your Mind remix with a feature this spring?

It's a shame she's aged past what is acceptable for streaming and radio because the material was here.

+Quote this post
Atonement
post Aug 27 2017, 01:08 PM
Post #7
Group icon
I just had to see your face to feel alive
User: 10,676
I think this is her best album. Still, I miss something, as Umi has said, to really hook me in.

But there are some great tunes on there. My favorites are 'Make Me', 'Love Me Down', 'Change Your Mind', 'Slumber Party' and 'Just Like Me'. On the other hand I really cannot listen to 'Coupure Électrique' because of her terrible accent.

+Quote this post
Atonement
post Sep 1 2017, 10:55 AM
Post #8
Group icon
I just had to see your face to feel alive
User: 10,676
QUOTE(Atonement @ Aug 27 2017, 03:08 PM) *
I think this is her best album. Still, I miss something, as Umi has said, to really hook me in.

Ever since I said this I've been hooked and I bought the album laugh.gif

+Quote this post
Tyler
post Sep 1 2017, 08:38 PM
Post #9
Group icon
If people hate you, don’t hate them.
User: 67
Glory is an exceptional album that lacks that one groundbreaking 11/10 Britney smasher. Where it's unequivocally Britney and wouldn't be the same if released by another one of her respected peers. It's equivalent to 'Britney Jean' being released without 'Work Bitch' and 'Alien' being the lead single. Brilliant track, don't get me wrong but not iconic without hardly even trying (MM's video makes Katy Perrys Swish Swish seem tolerable and that HURTS ME.)

Hold It Against Me - Amazing video with such intelligent symbolism it brought non fans into the hype just for that fight scene and the discussion of conspiracy theories.
Gimme More - probably one of the most authentic visuals of her entire career. What was once seen as a train wreck has become a monumental piece of pop culture.
Womanizer - Toxic part 2 enough said
MATM - Madonna and that choreography following the kiss. Perfect.
Slave - Iconic. No explanation.
Oops - see Slave
BOMT - this video and her concept not only birthed an icon, it birthed a brand and is the main reason Britney will always be relevant to pop music.

Glory is an experimental slice of Britney as a musician in the modern age. Something we haven't been served since 'In The Zone'. However. Britney is an icon and loved for her visuals and how she breathes life into pop music, that she may have not even had a hand in writing. All of those tracks I listed above are iconic because of the presentation of the music. Catholic school girl outfit, red catsuit, underwear on top of leather pants, naked body covered in diamonds, brunette stripper, naked in sauna, fight scene against herself, Vegas showgirl in the desert with f***ing sharks swimming around her in a pool.

A Britney era is not a Britney era without the visual and the album was a waste. David LaChapelle being thrown to the curb for the sake of ad space is the worst thing to happen to Britney's career. The imagery has taken a back seat for profit. And that's what happens when Britney no longer cares enough to fight her label tooth and nail to have her videography look the way it does and I guarantee you the only reason she slayed the SP video was because she knew they f***ed her project up and fans were disappointed. Which was her basically saying "like ok f***ing listen to me I know what my fans want."

RCA has been killing her career since she went under them. The Perfume video, Make Me. Like? Embarrassing. This is Britney Spears. A personal and innovative album holds no weight when it has no identity. Britney at her worst and dead for 20 years is still more innovative then what RCA is plugging in.

There were talks of her making it a visual album with anime visuals! It's like... are y'all trying to kill her career? Break The Ice was a cult hit and still holds a following waiting for the continuation of that. There you have time for Vegas, a project completed and time for Britney to do what she holds most dearly... being an amazing mother to her kids.

It's like how do you watch 'Make Me' or 'Perfume' videos and almost want to die of boredom, but she's serving LIFE along with biscuits on Will.I.Am's remix video. Where guess what, Britney's concept of doing something that's not so formulated to try and be BRITNEY.

Britney sold this remix better than the entire Glory album. And you can tell in her EYES when she's presenting herself the way she WANTS to be presented.

But, no one listens so I guess I'd give up the fight too. Or at least say "f*** a third single, and f*** y'all too."

This post has been edited by Tyler: Sep 1 2017, 10:30 PM

+Quote this post
Sempachorra
post Sep 3 2017, 04:29 PM
Post #10
Group icon
Let's Go Brandon
User: 421
I'm just sad this great album didnt get more singles. It had so much potential

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post Sep 4 2017, 04:43 PM
Post #11
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
User: 12,472
Another great post, Tyler. It was such an exciting time when 'Make Me...' was released - not only did it feel relevant and slick, but it also felt like another essential moment in Britney's discography; something that suggested Britney would be taking us somewhere different with this album to what we're used to in recent years and certainly made it clear that 'Pretty Girls' was being swept under the rug. The video should have been the iconic moment for the era and for a while it looked like it would have been. I can't believe how wrong her team got it. What we got for a video was probably the lamest, most embarrassing thing to happen in her career. At least 'Pretty Girls' was shamelessly a cheesy pop song so it made sense of have a video that matched that. 'Make Me...' is no 'Pretty Girls' and deserved something so much better. Perhaps we could use that fan-made video for 'Breathe On Me' and alter it to fit 'Make Me...'?

Glory was brimming with single opportunities that could have served fierce visuals and give the fans such joy to follow and invest in, but when there's such a momentous f*** up at the beginning of the era, it's not really a surprise that the potential just fizzled out. A huge, crying shame, but not too surprising.

Anyway, enough of the negatives, the music was incredible and so much more than what was expected of Britney today, so I'll get my comments on the album itself underway soon!

+Quote this post
post Oct 7 2017, 10:08 PM
Post #12
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 19,931
I’d Make Me had had its original video I really think things would have been very different. I think we’d have had her biggest hit since I Wanna Go, a bigger album and probably even a 3rd single. Shame.

+Quote this post

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 10:22 PM