BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
5 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Lorde Rate ● Pure Melodrama RESULTS
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
HausofKubrick
post Oct 25 2020, 05:41 PM
Post #1
Group icon
User: 13,007

Pure Melodrama

Thank you to all that voted - it's time to count down the results to find your favourite Lorde song and album! Predict and comment along the way cheer.gif
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
✖ leww ✖
post Oct 25 2020, 05:56 PM
Post #2
Group icon
escape in the taste of summerrrrrr
User: 9,403
oh it MUST be a Green Light sweep i would think! aside from that i think it might be close for a lot of it ohmy.gif

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post Oct 25 2020, 07:13 PM
Post #3
Group icon

31. Biting Down ~ 6.45
32. Easy (Switch Screens) [Son Lux featuring Lorde] ~ 6.21
33. Swingin Party ~ 5.69
34. Ladder Song ~ 5.40

This whole life is a hallucination

First out, taking the wooden spoon award, is Ladder Song (which even in last place receives a respectable "above average" score! Originally featuring on Bright Eyes' 2011 album, Lorde covered the song for the Mockingjay Part I soundtrack. Sung in a marked different tone to her usual deeper sound, the higher range reflects the sadness in her voice and the emotion behind it. Swingin Party is another cover ~ Buzzjack clearly aren't here for her non-original material! Here we have a song by The Replacements included as a deluxe track on the extended version of the debut album after being previously made available as a b-side to 'Tennis Court'. Next we have Son Lux's Easy (Switch Screens), where Lorde provides vocals on the producer's EP 'Alternate Worlds'. As the title of the EP suggests, this is a warped, frenzied song with Lorde's sinister voice transposing the disorderly production and instrumentation. And finally in this loser's section is another track from the extended edition of the debut; Biting Down is very minimalist and repetitive in its lyrics. Lorde said that the song was about "small moments of intensity that help you understand something greater" and through these moments you learn more about the situation or yourself.

+Quote this post
Brer
post Oct 25 2020, 07:18 PM
Post #4
Group icon
I'll just stick around and do some more damage
User: 8,300
Definitely the right song to be in last place, her only song that doesn't really do anything for me at all (and it's a cover so I don't blame her for it xx) - I gave that a 5 so probably coming to be one of the only songs I gave a lower score than their average in this rate (although I can think of at least one other that will also be that and probably by a much bigger margin oop). 'Swingin Party' is ok but comfortably the weakest of 'The Love Club' as well so no complaints at that also being out early. Actually did not know that one was also a cover magic.gif

I really liked 'Easy (Switch Screens)' - I am big dumb for not paying attention to it when it came out - but can definitely see why it wouldn't be for everyone, it is very different to everything else on this rate!

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post Oct 25 2020, 09:18 PM
Post #5
Group icon

26. Everybody Wants to Rule the World ~ 6.93
27. Flicker (Kanye West Rework) ~ 6.71
28. Still Sane ~ 6.57
29. Million Dollar Bills ~ 6.45
30. The Love Club ~ 6.45

I'm little, but I'm coming for the crown

Taken from the debut release from Lorde, The Love Club is an electropop song about befriending a bad crowd. Lorde told of her own experiences when she fell with a new crowd and it consumed her, before she realised that her older friends and family are the better influences for her. Million Dollar Bills is also taken from the debut EP and was later added to the extended edition of Pure Heroine. Lorde says of the song that: "I'm the kind of artist that writes something and thinks it's cool for like 48 hours and then hates it", oop~ Still Sane is the first track we lose from one of the main editions of her albums. The song is about the craziness of her rise to fame and the mix of work and play as this catapult to stardom came about. The song shows a recognition for the fact that she became a star at an incredibly young age and for this reason it's a cutting insight into her mind as this process occured. The Flicker (Kanye West Rework) enters below the original version. This version is slowed down from the original and has added choir. It doesn't feature the vocals of Kanye, but it is remiscent of some of his trappier work~ Finally here we have Everybody Wants To Rule The World which was another cover version recorded for The Hunger Games soundtrack. Lorde took the original by Tears for Fears and turned it darker and more elusive. The track has been used for multiple commercials and advertisements since and was praised heavily by critics and the band behind the original.

+Quote this post
Klumzee
post Oct 25 2020, 09:42 PM
Post #6
Group icon
#TeamAnneMarie
User: 11,421
Everybody Wants To Rule The World is a brilliant cover! So different from the original but works in it's own right! Flicker is great but not that much different from Yellow Flicker Beat which is the superior version.

Hopefully Meltdown can place as high as possible and Green Light for the victory! cheer.gif

+Quote this post
Klaus
post Oct 25 2020, 09:47 PM
Post #7
Group icon
❤️❤️➕🟦
User: 17,160
No real losses so far! I do love the dramatic take on Everybody Wants to Rule the World but it was either part of a wave or started a wave of tonnes of dramatic moody covers of classic songs for big blockbuster movie trailers.

I have to say I’ve been LOVING Meltdown over the past week so that to surprise please! *is out next*

+Quote this post
Jade
post Oct 25 2020, 09:47 PM
Post #8
Group icon
Alone and wounded
Pronouns: She/her
User: 12,810
'Biting Down' is soooo underrated drama.gif there's something so eerie about it - gives me chills every time.

+Quote this post
✖ leww ✖
post Oct 25 2020, 09:52 PM
Post #9
Group icon
Glad to see the "Meltdown" hype!! wub.gif REALLY hoping that can storm up. I'd never heard it before and was SO taken with it. A powerhouse collab!

"Biting Down" so low! sad.gif

+Quote this post
Brer
post Oct 25 2020, 09:52 PM
Post #10
Group icon
Oh 'Still Sane' is another one I gave a lower score than its average (got a 6 from me) - that song was actually much more underwhelming than I remembered it being having not listened to it for a while (it is fine but definitely a filler track, I think I may have actually rated 'Pure Heroine' as the better of her two albums if that song was cut from it and I oop!) The Kanye rework of 'Yellow Flicker Beat' is v good in its own right but I did hope for a bit better from Kanye's involvement and it's not as good as the original so not one I'd ever really want to go back to! 'Million Dollar Bills' definitely my fave song from 'The Love Club', feels a bit underrated here.

+Quote this post
Jade
post Oct 25 2020, 10:12 PM
Post #11
Group icon
Alone and wounded
Pronouns: She/her
User: 12,810
QUOTE(✖ lewcifer ✖ @ Oct 25 2020, 09:52 PM) *
Glad to see the "Meltdown" hype!! wub.gif REALLY hoping that can storm up. I'd never heard it before and was SO taken with it. A powerhouse collab!

Do you know another Hunger Games song of hers with The Chemical Brothers and Miguel called 'This Is Not A Game'? thinking.gif would also recommend, another banger!

+Quote this post
Ansel
post Oct 25 2020, 10:24 PM
Post #12
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
Pronouns: he/him
User: 106,739
Million Dollar Bills is a bit of an underrated fave of mine, shame to see it out already sad.gif

+Quote this post
Riser
post Oct 26 2020, 01:40 AM
Post #13
Group icon
The horrors persist, but so do I
User: 19,534
QUOTE(Blade @ Oct 25 2020, 05:47 PM) *
'Biting Down' is soooo underrated drama.gif there's something so eerie about it - gives me chills every time.
This!!!!! 'The Love Club' gone too soon as well </3

+Quote this post
Bjork
post Oct 26 2020, 08:23 AM
Post #14
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 22,665
surprised y'all like that Tears for Fears cover, worst thing she's ever done imho

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post Oct 26 2020, 06:49 PM
Post #15
Group icon

21. No Better ~ 7.56
22. 400 Lux ~ 7.55
23. Liability (Reprise) ~ 7.14
24. White Teeth Teens ~ 7.11
25. Bravado ~ 7.07

Impress the empress

First out in this next set is Bravado, yet another song off the extended debut to drop out. The song is the first promotional song released by Lorde off the 'Tennis Court EP' and then later included on the debut. Recorded alongside 'Royals' and 'Biting Down' during a school holiday(!), the song is about expressing confidence when the confidence isn't actually there. It was inspired by Kanye West's song 'Dark Fantasy' (in which he sings "found bravery in my bravado"). White Teeth Teens is about the imperfections of teenagers and how they present themselves to the world. The album seems to be all about teeth and this song explicitly references them and the glow they create even in the darkest of situations. The first track from Lorde's second album drops out at a respectable #23! Liability (Reprise) is a partner song to 'Liability' which appears earlier in the album, and it seems as the album has progressed, Lorde has realised that she is in fact not the liability that she thought she was. Lorde states the song is about her realising that although she previously thought she knew exactly who she was and what she was about, she realised this was not the case and the enlightening, yet terrifying and emotional moment that this occured. We lose another album track from the debut as 400 Lux bows out. The second track on the album, the title refers to a unit of measurement for light and illumination. At a sunrise or sunset, the light levels are about 400 luxs on a clear day and the song explores a couple driving during a sunrise and enjoying the experience. Finally, just missing out on the top 20 is the fourth promotional song released by Lorde, No Better. Here Lorde is in love during different seasons of the years and this is explored through the trippy, electro-pop, hip-hop infused elements that made the debut's sound so signature.

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post Oct 26 2020, 06:50 PM
Post #16
Group icon
Writing up its commentary has made me properly take notice of 'Bravado'! Didn't realise it was influenced by Kanye's 'Dark Fantasy" lyrics. Her chants in it are heavenly, as is the production! wub.gif

+Quote this post
✖ leww ✖
post Oct 26 2020, 07:01 PM
Post #17
Group icon
REALLY enjoyed "Bravado"! Glad to see that one a bit higher up!

+Quote this post
Brer
post Oct 26 2020, 08:55 PM
Post #18
Group icon
Oof that's lower than I would have thought for '400 Lux', I think that would be my 2nd favourite album track from 'Pure Heroine' D: 'No Better' deserves to be higher but that's a respectable finish for probably her least well-known song as lead artist. 'Liability (Reprise)' as the lowest song from 'Melodrama' makes sense ofc, works as a transitional moment on the album but nothing remarkable in itself ~

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post Oct 27 2020, 08:21 PM
Post #19
Group icon

18. A World Alone ~ 7.93
19. Sober II (Melodrama) ~ 7.85
20. Meltdown (Stromae featuring Pusha T, Q-Tip, Haim and Lorde) ~ 7.66

We told you this was melodrama

Kicking off the top 20 it's Stromae's Meltdown with a whole host of featuring artists, including r Lorde! Released as the opening track for the soundtrack album of the The Hunger Games: Mockingjay – Part 1, the song uses the instrumentation of 'Merci' from Stromae's 2nd album. We lose another track from Melodrama now, this time Sober II (Melodrama) is out. This song, along with the initial 'Sober' represent two sides of a party, with this one being the aftermath, once the lights are turned on. Lorde explains that "after you’ve spent however many hours in this dark room and gotten to know it for its darkness... When the lights are on, it’s so depressing" - the heartbreak that comes following an elated party is represented in this song as Lorde tidies up the remnants of the night before. The song, along with the original helped to shape the album's colour and vision and it's clear that the two songs become centrepieces to the surrounding songs. Finally, we have the final track on the standard edition of the debut album, A World Alone. Importantly, the final line of the album "Let 'em talk" represents Lorde hitting back at the internet chatter, the haters, the trolls and it is a powerful sentiment to conclude the album after it began with "Don't you think that it's boring how people talk?" - a full circle moment. With a huge dance beat, Lorde escapes this hatred with her lover and it offers a similar escape for listeners.

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post Oct 27 2020, 08:22 PM
Post #20
Group icon
How did I not realise the synergy between the opening and closing lines of 'Pure Heroine' before?

"Don't you think that it's boring how people talk?" > "Let 'em talk"

her mind!

x

I absolutely ADORE 'A World Alone' - it's such an explosive end to the album heart.gif too low!

+Quote this post

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 users are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 06:51 PM