BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Funny girl, RECORD
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
eden
post Aug 8 2016, 07:18 PM
Post #1
Group icon
BuzzJack Climber
User: 393
I haven't made it down from scotland this time & when i heard the news via this forum, that the show is going to be touring, i thought it best to wait until cast was announced. Any of you have news on that front, or know if darius might be part of cast? Also, haven't got the record, but none of you have said if you liked it-so it would be nice if i could see your comments ie, is it a good portrayal of darius's voice etc. Strangely enough, many, many years ago, i was given a gift of the old style vinyl l.P. album, with Barbara Striesand singing all the songs from it & was surprised just how good the recording was & how much i enjoyed it, considering i'm basically not a great fan of musicals! So wonder if this recording can be as powerfully good as the Striesand one? Once i see the show, i'll get it, but was hoping that i'd hear some comments here too. Grateful if you would let me know as soon as u know casting as i'm not too 'savvy' on internet (old age) at least in preceding years darius would be on t.v. & that enabled me to keep up better + your forum had much more info, i think. Thanks.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
SpamFritter
post Aug 9 2016, 07:49 AM
Post #2
Group icon
Take me as I am....
User: 321
As far as I know Darius will not be touring.
As for the cd, I haven't heard it, but the songs on the show are excellent and therefore I cannot see any reason why the cd would not be of a high standard.

+Quote this post
megham
post Aug 9 2016, 10:14 AM
Post #3
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 111
Darius wont be touring as far as he knows. The cd is a studio recording and good - I just like live performances better. I have a copy and am glad I have. I love the show as it does really show his acting ability and lovely voice. I hope it isn't too long before we see his next endeavor - hope it's available in GB as well. I've seen this at both the chocolate factory and the Savoy. Well worth seeing in both. I'd love them to do a dvd like they did for 'From Here To Eternity' that would be brilliant news if they did

+Quote this post
megham
post Aug 9 2016, 02:53 PM
Post #4
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
British Theatre .Com review. The bit I liked most in the live performance is ignored by most reviews of the cd

Darius Campbell, with a voice that has the smooth vibrancy of Nat King Cole, is definitely leading man material here. His Nick Arnstein retains the sexy integrity he had onstage and his duet You Are Woman, I am Man with Smith is just perfect, whilst Temporary Arrangement comes across brilliantly in this recording ( it’s also the first time any recording has featured this song which was cut from the original production, recorded by Sharif for the film – but then cut again!). Campbell is fast becoming a really credible musical theatre leading man, and this recording builds on that.

+Quote this post
SpamFritter
post Aug 9 2016, 04:06 PM
Post #5
Group icon
Take me as I am....
User: 321
smile.gif

+Quote this post
Polly
post Aug 9 2016, 07:40 PM
Post #6
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 10,878
Sad that Darius probably wont be doing the tour sad.gif . I was hoping he would as i cant get to london and the tour has places i can get to sad.gif . Hoping that maybe they will film at the Savoy with the original cast like they did with FHTE. That would be good biggrin.gif

+Quote this post
megham
post Aug 9 2016, 09:44 PM
Post #7
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
After a year, I'm not surprised he needs a break. I'm looking forward to the next thing (whatever he decides to do next)

+Quote this post
Baytree
post Aug 23 2016, 04:59 PM
Post #8
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 334
CD review.

http://oughttobeclowns.blogspot.co.uk/2016...-cast.html#more

Bit odd review comparing show and CD.

More Darius? I'd agree with that any time.

However, to be fair, this production of Funny Girl HAS beefed up Nick's role. I really don't see what else could have sensibly been added.

+Quote this post
megham
post Aug 23 2016, 09:57 PM
Post #9
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
I'd like more Darius but I'm not a huge Streisand fan. I'd rather see the show than just listen. I like the laughs in 'You are Woman, I am man' which more to it. In fact, I don't like the quieting down of Darius' voice so he accompanies Sheridan rather than sing with her. I like to see the hurt in their performances which just a record can't show in the same way. I really, really hope their is a dvd

+Quote this post
Baytree
post Sep 26 2016, 08:40 PM
Post #10
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 334
Me too. You really get caught up in the characters and their joys and heartbreak.

Because the set and costume changes are so slick in this production, you can be laughing one minute and in tears the next, almost instantaneously.

If Darius can fit in a few legs of the tour, I'd try to get to one even if I had to travel.

Without Darius I might book Glasgow. Depends who's on instead of Sheridan.

+Quote this post
megham
post Sep 26 2016, 08:51 PM
Post #11
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
The only person we've heard of doing the tour is some dates for Sheridan - I think that Darius may be too busy to even do some but it would be nice if he could - unlikely though

+Quote this post

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 06:16 AM