BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
> 
4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Game of Thrones • The Iron Throne, S08E06 | SPOILERS
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Klaus
post 20th May 2019, 10:56 AM
Post #41
Group icon
❤️❤️➕🟦
User: 17,160

I agree that it will get better in time. Due to the nature of the world and the number of different storylines, this show is up there with Lost re the number of different theories about the show and how it should end. In this world where we avoid any single slight of a spoiler, including episode titles, I've been reading a few articles where people enjoy spoilers because they can enjoy the journey better as they understand where the characters/show is heading. I think that is where GoT will benefit as we know everyone's destiny now, we know who survives and who dies, who holds the power and who loses it, who is of significance to the ultimate endgame. We can appreciate everyone's journey more particularly the likes of Arya and Bran who weren't necessarily fighting for the throne or for power and we appreciate where their characters end up. Also, we can particularly follow Dany's journey with more scrutiny as she has always been the most obvious to get the throne and I know certain people were annoyed she didn't get to Westeros earlier because of the army and power she had but that all kind of plays into why she turns into the Mad Queen.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Severin
post 20th May 2019, 12:06 PM
Post #42
Group icon
Mansonette
User: 9,872

Thought it was a perfectly fine ending. Not the greatest maybe but no major issues with it. Minor query on why the Dothraki weren’t more annoyed by her death or why they so willingly agreed to bugger off
Everything else made some sense

+Quote this post
Esmerelda
post 20th May 2019, 12:13 PM
Post #43
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 294

Round of applause for Lena Heady for pocketing 1 million dollars for this episode for lying in some rubble. cheer.gif

+Quote this post
Bjork
post 20th May 2019, 12:37 PM
Post #44
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 22,665

for me, Danny going crazy is a good ending for her, kinda saw it coming
but Cersei has been really under-used in season 8 despite being like the main evil character all along, she did nothing during s08 and died in a boring way
she deserved a much better dead lol biggrin.gif

+Quote this post
Klaus
post 20th May 2019, 01:44 PM
Post #45
Group icon
❤️❤️➕🟦

At least Hodor’s poor life ends up meaning even more now sad.gif

+Quote this post
Bjork
post 20th May 2019, 02:26 PM
Post #46
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 22,665

thinking about it, what doesn't make sense is Jon being sentenced to the wall
when Jamie did the same to the mad king and nothing happened to him

I think it would have been better if Jon had decided on his own will to leave and head for the wall
rather than being sentenced there

+Quote this post
post 20th May 2019, 02:48 PM
Post #47
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 19,931

Why is there even a night's watch now anyway? The wall was destroyed, the Night King is dead, and there is peace with the freefolk...

+Quote this post
Klaus
post 20th May 2019, 03:00 PM
Post #48
Group icon
❤️❤️➕🟦

I think it was to appease Greyworm and the Unsullied but also allowing freedom for Jon because, by all means, he should have the throne and him being alive, kinda goes against them nominating someone to be ruler as there is an actual heir there. However, he doesn’t want to rule and kinda lives his life by duty and protection so the Night’s Watch is perfect for him. I guess they still have a Watch as Beyond the Wall is still unchartered territory which may have more terrible beings?? Him going Beyond the Wall rather than staying behind and guarding it suggests he’s going to explore?

+Quote this post
Severin
post 20th May 2019, 03:06 PM
Post #49
Group icon
Mansonette
User: 9,872

It means Jon’s lineage becomes irrelevant as he again renounces any titles and cannot claim right to the throne. Nor could any of the children he’s not supposed to have. They also state the Nights Watch is needed as a place to send undesirables. Jon ignores it and buggers off beyind the wall anyway meaning someone else will take over

This post has been edited by Severin: 20th May 2019, 03:09 PM

+Quote this post
dandy*
post 20th May 2019, 03:31 PM
Post #50
Group icon
Mansonette
User: 54

Well I guess I should have seen the Bran ending coming, after all he's been practising sitting on things since episode 2.

+Quote this post
Jαsє
post 20th May 2019, 04:03 PM
Post #51
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 14,043

The finale currently sits at 59% on RT, dragging S8's overall rating down to 70%.

+Quote this post
Harve
post 20th May 2019, 05:53 PM
Post #52
Group icon
Cœur poids plume
User: 4,718

Never watched this programme but I get the impression that Bran ending up as king is the medieval fantasy equivalent of Karen Bradley ending up as the UK's prime minister in a few months right.

+Quote this post
Tangela
post 20th May 2019, 07:55 PM
Post #53
Group icon
Tangelic
User: 23,643

QUOTE(Jαsє @ May 20 2019, 05:03 PM) *
The finale currently sits at 59% on RT, dragging S8's overall rating down to 70%.

4.7/10 on IMDb!!

I don’t even know what to say tbh

+Quote this post
Envoirment
post 20th May 2019, 08:19 PM
Post #54
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 10,030

The finale was good and glad everyone pretty much ended up where I hoped they would. It's a shame the season felt so rushed though - there were many small details that I would've liked added or certain things extended/built up (Varys' betrayal, Dany's army vs Euron Greyjoy's ships, Cersei actually doing something etc).

Cersei's death was the main thing I was annoyed about. I was really hoping Tyrion would find her alive and either have to kill her or help her escape.

It's quite nice to see the Stark family firmly in power. Bran as king of the six kingdoms, Sansa as queen of the north and John essentially "king" of the far north.

Arya's adventures are likely going to be its own spin-off which'll be interesting. She's going the way of Elissa Farman. There's some interesting theories about Elissa and about her travelling west and reaching Asshai.

Overall, I'm a little sad now it's ended, but I'm also excited for the next chapter in the GoT franchise. Hopefully we'll get Arya's adventures west, a prequel showing the events that lead up to the mad king and his death and perhaps something about Melisandre... Tbh there's lots of things that can be expanded on. Hopefully George R.R. Martin will finish and release the rest of the books to add even more depth to the story.

+Quote this post
Chez Wombat
post 20th May 2019, 09:05 PM
Post #55
Group icon
The owls are not what they seem
Pronouns: He/him
User: 9,232

It's Bran, it's ALWAYS FUCKING BRAN drama.gif laugh.gif Idk how we didn't see it coming

I think I need time for this to sink in...I THINK I liked it? I do think that the ending seemed fitting overall, we all wondered what Bran's purpose was and I suppose it was under our noses all that time even if that storyline was way, way too convoluted and complex throughout so that did leave a bitter taste, Sansa and Arya's positions were fitting though and I think that's a good ending for Jon as that was his crowning moment leading the wildlings and I knew that he just couldn't take the crown at that point. I admire that there was more focus on conversations and humour and less on fighting as I guess the last episode had more than enough of that. I did still find myself wanting a bit more though...Yara might as well have not been there, that still seemed so rushed for the Lannisters' deaths and I was kinda hoping for at least some recognition from Dany of what she did to at least harken back to the character she was, but she was clearly completely consumed, it really is a sour end that while I don't disagree with, I do wish had more time to develop. It's a shame really as we'll never get another chance now.

I'll give it credit, almost no loose ends were left untied (Jon even petted Ghost! You critics better take back your words xx), I am wondering about the point of Gendry after all that though, he was again pretty much pointless apart from electing Bran, I really thought he'd have a bit more significance given his heritage (I mean that death pool we did at the start of the series will look strange now, not like there was no deaths, but in terms of lead characters, I certainly was expecting more of them dead!)

And that's that I guess. It's not quite hit me yet, certainly will go down as one of the greatest shows of all time, albeit definitely one that peaked a bit too soon and got a bit too big for itself in the end. I agree that it will get better with time and will benefit from a rewatch as we know where all the characters are going and can properly notice the signs, free of fan theories and expectations.

+Quote this post
Rooney
post 20th May 2019, 11:16 PM
Post #56
Group icon
WINTER IS COMING
User: 88

Gosh all I've read all day is people moaning about the finale. It's the same as people giving the finale low ratings or saying it's shit. It's not shit, it's because it didn't happen how they wanted it to happen. Obviously this is George RR Martin's ending and for me it fits perfectly. I've seen it all before, people moan for moanings sake. I've been watching this show since the day after it aired on HBO for the very first time in 2011. I'm entirely satisfied with the ending. The only thing I agree they could have done better is the whole Jon/Dany ending halfway through as that was really the culmination of everything that happened since Ned Stark died.

I think people are more annoyed that neither Jon or Dany ended up on the Throne. Bran obviously knew he was going to end up there, but again for the good of the Realm he probably is the right person to lead the place through harmony before an eventual heir is chosen. I also loved the ending with the Small Council, I thought that was some great closure.

I really enjoyed it, the focus on the four Stark kids was beautiful and it fit in with where the characters had progressed (OK maybe with the exception of Bran). Podrick becomes the new Hodor.

+Quote this post
post 21st May 2019, 08:13 AM
Post #57
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 19,931

Erm, the ratings have been great, as usual, I don't know where you're getting that from. The last few episodes were the highest rated episodes ever. It's the critics, who have given in depth analyses of the episodes since season 1 who have given it mixed to bad reviews.

This "it didn't end the way you wanted to" defense is so unfounded, and none of the criticisms I've seen have looked that way in the slightest, and I think its hurt fans that can't take the criticism that are projecting that. It's about lazy writing and not fleshing out the plots the way they used to. Nobody is moaning for moaning's sake. Everyone was excited for the season and many were let down, which is allowed. In fact, it has had more plot holes than Game of Thrones ever had. So I think if you're able to say how much you liked it, others should be allowed without being patronised about it.

Anyway, I've properly watched the finale now, and I enjoyed it a lot more than the past couple of episodes, and overall, I'm pretty happy with how things were tied up. Once you got past Dany's drastic and jarring transformation over two episodes from who she'd been for 7 seasons, I found it a really exciting way to open the episode. In fact I wish we'd had more time with Dany as the evil queen, because it was a really interesting dynamic and made for a very haunting and dark set up. Dany's death scene I found to be genuinely moving, and I was really pleased Drogon got his moment before flying off to eat Dany in peace.

Bran as king is...underwhelming, but I can't really see who else it could be, so it doesn't massively offend me. Some of the moments of closure were really beautiful though, Arya saying goodbye to Jon, Sansa finally having a crown and Brienne writing in Jaime's obituary at the end all made me shed a tear. Tyrion was utterly useless until the very end though, Drogon should have had him for supper 2 seasons ago.

The unsullied being sent off to start their own civilisation despite not being able to reproduce...They got duped!

So yeah, despite the flaws of the season overall, the finale could have been a lot worse. It dragged in places and could have done with a bit more excitement in its second half but there was a lot to tie up so I think they did well with what they had.

+Quote this post
dandy*
post 21st May 2019, 08:40 AM
Post #58
Group icon
Mansonette
User: 54

I quite enjoyed the final episode and I was sort of happy with how things panned out - Bran wouldn't have been my first choice but at least it gives some meaning to some of the stuff we had to follow along the way! Remember when he all but disappeared for a while, I do wonder if George RR Martin had a word and said errrr you'd best bring his story back... plus if you'd have asked me to bet in episode one, the small kid who fell from the window would have probably been the last person I'd have thought! He's quite a sensible choice in a way as the three eyed raven, but I've never personally been as invested in Bran in the same way as some of the others - it made me think when Tyrion gave his speech about Bran having a good story that I'd personally found the telling of Bran's story entirely secondary and even a tad boring when compared to most of the others, as such I hadn't built up any emotional attachment to the character - in fact he's one of the few characters I'd have happily seen die at any point in the past few seasons laugh.gif - and his turning into the somewhat emotionless three eyed raven only made him less charismatic.

The scenes with Dany were really good I thought, she played the part really well - didn't go too OTT but was convincing in both her awful intent but also her belief it was for the greater good. It saddened me a bit even more regarding pacing (sorry to moan about that yet again!) as it showed a glimpse of just how amazing the episodes could have been if she'd been able to rule for a little longer after defeating the Lannisters - Cersei did bugger all this season and in retrospect I think the taking of Kings Landing would have made an amazing end to Season 7, Cersei would have had her moment and the focus this season could have been on Dany going mad and defeating the dead. Tyrion was back to being great and I'm pleased he got so much time in the final show, he didn't shine quite as brightly on his travels with Dany but he's been great again as soon as he was near Kings Landing. So happy that Brienne made it through to the end with Pod, I'd have been really sad if one of them had died as I've found their companionship throughout the show really lovely. My personal niggle is that Arya didn't have as much to do this episode as I'd have hoped, she's definitely been my favourite character since the beginning.

The Stark scenes in general have been good this year and I'm pleased that we saw such happy endings for Sansa, Arya, Bran and Jon (in his own way) - after the early culling of so many of them in the first two seasons or so I hadn't expected them to end the series anywhere near as powerfully as they have done - and it's a lovely ending to compare to the kids seen in the first episode.

My favourite bit of the whole episode though was Tyrion arranging the chairs, the small council coming in and the joyful conversation between them all - a nod to the moments that truly made this show great.

Oh and can we just mention the theme tune and opening credits one final time, definitely my favourites ever - I've never known a show fill me with such anticipation just from the opening titles.

+Quote this post
Dexton
post 21st May 2019, 10:41 AM
Post #59
Group icon
rip in peace Dickston
User: 25,045

I enjoyed this episode a lot, I wasn't particularly surprised by anything that happened but it wasn't entirely predictable either.

Standout moments for me were Danaerys standing atop the stairs with Drogon just behind her which was truly a magnificent shot with so much meaning, Jon killing Dany (although him half standing up for her up until that point felt a bit off to me, It's something he'd do but I wasn't feeling it especially as he'd watched the slaughter first hand), Drogon burning the Iron Throne WHICH WAS FANTASTIC - make jokes all you want about that but dragons have always been described as one of the most intelligent creatures in ASOIAF/GoT and he knew full well that his mother was killed by lust for power just as much as she was by Jons dagger. In fact Drogon was a highlight all around this episode, I loved how they didn't kill him off in the end which while it would've been an easy option it would've been very unfair to kill off all 3 dragons. Disappearing into the skies holding Dany was beautiful, left to live out his days however he wants freely living in the open world. Maybe he's gone back to Valyria or the Bay of Dragons, or maybe he just travels the world inspiring stories of a lone flying beast who steals goats.

Bran the Broken was a nice ending. I don't know who else could have become Ruler of the 6/7 Kingdoms without starting yet another civil war.

+Quote this post
diva thin muffin
post 21st May 2019, 10:50 AM
Post #60
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Pronouns: he/him
User: 12,837

The main problem with this season is that it's filled to the brim with inconsistencies which is not what this show has ever been known for. (and no I'm not just talking about coffee cups and water bottles). Characters seem to have forgotten a great deal of things this season.

Some examples of why I hated this season include:
- Tyrion saying that Bran being infertile is a good thing when he considered it a bad thing when Dany's infertility was discussed.
- Yara laughing at the thought of a democracy in the seven kingdom when that's literally how they choose their kings & queens in the Iron Islands.
- The Dothraki conveniently forgetting that whoever kills their Khal or Khaleesi becomes their new Khal or Khaleesi.
- Bran knowing he'd become king also means he knew that Dany would go mad and murder a million people and did nothing to stop it.
- Sam being in King's Landing despite never having been released of his vows to the Night's Watch means he technically should be executed but ok what are rules anyway.
- Jaime and Cersei literally could have moved 5 feet to the left to survive the falling debris even though we were led to believe the entire building had collapsed as evidenced by this scene.
- The Unsullied executed Lannister soldiers immediately despite surrendering, but followed due process and locked the person who killed their queen away for two weeks to await trial by a group of people including their friends and family.
- So many important scenes being cut away for absolutely no reason other than convenience, like Jon telling Sansa & Arya of his lineage, how TF Euron managed to steal Missandei (and how TF he knew she was important), how Jon explained to Grey Worm and the Unsullied what happened between him and Dany, etc.
- Dany forgetting the god damn iron fleet. And don't try to say that she was arrogant enough to think she could beat them or whatever, the writers literally said that she forgot about them.
- Dany being ok with murdering millions of innocents while a few seasons back she locked away her dragons for killing even only one innocent child.
- Dany not even once trying to kill Cersei in E5 despite her being the main reason why she went mad. In E6 we see she's not even found the body (and presumably hasn't even bothered to check since nothing points that way) as Tyrion is the one who (very easily) found it. Does she even care that Cersei is dead? Same for the people who killed Drogon (Euron) and Missandei (The Mountain). Neither of them were killed by her and she doesn't really seem to care which is odd. The thousands and thousands of innocents who did nothing to her however..
- All of the storylines we were led to believe were important but ended up having literally zero impact on the show, such as: Jon's lineage, Varys sending out the info about Jon before being executed, Arya's face changing skills, Bran's warging thing during the Battle of Winterfell, Bronn's subplot, that damn horse that Arya met at the end of E5, the lord of light, the prince that was promised, THE GOD DAMN NIGHT KING
- So many people having the thickest and most impenetrable plot armour ever built.

I could easily go on and on. Safe to say this season was terrible and I will never be convinced otherwise. The fact that HBO offered D&D to make TEN SEASONS to wrap up the show and they refused is just infuriating. This wound up being like when you've been working on a project for a while but the deadline is coming up so you just try to wrap up everything in a hurry and accidentally forget everything you've written up until that point.

I'm not pissed about the end result. I'm pissed about how we got there and how little sense it makes. If they had made it in the same convincing manner that the majority of the previous seasons have been I'd have been fine with Dany going mad and all of that shit but none of this made sense and like the video 365 posted on page 1 says: foreshadowing is NOT character development.

+Quote this post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 25th April 2024, 05:26 AM