BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

6 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> ARTPOP - 10 years on ● the THREAD
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
HausofKubrick
post 11th August 2023, 03:34 PM
Post #1
Group icon
User: 13,007

We previously relived the Born This Way era day-by-day as it happened 10 years ago. Now it's time for ARTPOP to celebrate it's 10 year anniversary.

Join us as we relive each significant moment from this iconic (and messy!) era Gaga.png comment about your memories and thoughts on the era 10 years on!
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post 11th August 2023, 03:35 PM
Post #2
Group icon

This is going to be a RIDE. So many moments to come, the good, the bad and the ugly Venus X Factor performance Gaga.png

+Quote this post
Sour Candy
post 11th August 2023, 04:03 PM
Post #3
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 10,275

OMG this will be ICONIC and unleash so many memories (good and not-so-pleasant ones Gaga.png )

+Quote this post
Long Dong Silver
post 11th August 2023, 04:31 PM
Post #4
Group icon
Buffy/Charmed
User: 18,639

Awful album.

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post 11th August 2023, 04:53 PM
Post #5
Group icon

QUOTE(Anita Dump @ Aug 11 2023, 05:31 PM) *
Awful album.

VENUS!

Strap yourselves in, Rocket #9 is about to take off again just like it did 10 years ago Gaga.png

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post 11th August 2023, 05:56 PM
Post #6
Group icon

Where it all began ~ July 11th 2013

ARTPOP was announced at the Inez and Vinoodh Gagosian Gallery dinner. The release dates for album and lead single were announced along with the option to pre-order ARTPOP and its app. A promo image from the ARTPOP photoshoot by Inez and Vinoodh was revealed. An artRAVE party was also announced for November 10th, preceding the app/album release and it was confirmed that Gaga would perform at the iTunes festival in September.

Details about ARTPOP and it's app were explained on LittleMonsters.com.

"Built by TechHAUS, the technological branch of HAUS OF GAGA, the app itself is a musical and visual engineering system that combines music, art, fashion, and technology with a new interactive worldwide community -- "the auras". Altering the human experience with social media, we bring ARTculture into POP in a reverse Warholian expedition.

Exploring Gaga's existence as a cultural interface, the user will share in the 'adrenaline of fame' as they build and share their own projects, chat with one another, and watch in real-time on a virtual globe as ARTPOP explodes onto the physical and virtual universe at once on November 11, our "BIG BANG!" On this day HAUS OF GAGA venges with forte to bring the music industry into a new age; an age where art drives pop, and the artist once again is in control of the 'icon.

In turn, the album ARTPOP musically mirrors Gaga's creative process as she passes through the mediums of each artist she collaborates with, scoring a blueprint of her journey. The result, a "rage" of electronic passion and fury, defining each artistic process from beginning to end, ARTPOP could mean anything. But for her, this is a celebration of obsession. And on November 10, she will host an evening of artRave exhibiting Haus of Gaga's projects as well as collaborations with Inez & Vinoodh, Robert Wilson, Marina Abramovic, Jeff Koons"

+Quote this post
Adelita
post 11th August 2023, 06:02 PM
Post #7
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 82,234

If that was the album cover, everything would have been totally different. ARTPOP is a mess starting with its cover.

+Quote this post
Long Dong Silver
post 11th August 2023, 06:21 PM
Post #8
Group icon
Buffy/Charmed
User: 18,639

QUOTE(Adelita @ Aug 11 2023, 07:02 PM) *
If that was the album cover, everything would have been totally different. ARTPOP is a mess starting with its cover.

THIS

+Quote this post
Jordanlee
post 11th August 2023, 10:22 PM
Post #9
Group icon
Jord
User: 27,116

ARTPOP is my least favourite solo Gaga album but I do hold some love and appreciation for it too. Gaga is my absolute #1 here and I’m a massive diehard fan of hers but I can admit that this era could’ve went better.

It’s risky, experimental and has elements of genius running through it but for me the overproduced nature of it kills Gagas actual vocals which we know are some of the best in the business. She’s so talented but this album doesn’t really showcase her strengths, but I do credit her for going full experimental that early on in her career, but it perhaps had too much going on in the production side which maybe was the point of the album, but with a voice like Gagas it was lacking those vocal type moments. The apple show she did on September 1st meant by the time the album dropped we’d already heard around half the album and then certain tracks we did hear were better live than in studio form (in a ideal world that apple show would’ve coincided with the album release week).

I think the concept of the album on paper is genius but I don’t 100% feel like the theme of the album necessarily translated to the album we got and that’s sort of what lost people - this is just my thoughts, but I think with the general public at the time that was sort of the reason behind the turn in opinion of her, maybe even the title of the album might’ve been a bit of a turn off too. I think it’s a case of a great idea and then perhaps too many ideas coming together at once what made the execution appear messy but because the era was short lived and the DWUW video was delayed and scrapped and we had a long wait for a follow up video there was missed opportunities in turning around the era. I feel like the management of the era was terrible and with a better team and someone out there in Gagas side wanting to see her succeed could’ve really driven the success more - like get her on the BRITs / Grammys / push Gypsy the most radio made song on the album and get it out as a single, just do something / anything to turn things around. By the time we got the GUY single and video it felt like it was already too late. Gypsy could’ve at least done something had it been given a push though, I really believe that could’ve given her another top ten hit (or at the very least a long running top 20 hit).

DWUW was a fantastic track but obviously that feature now means it’s erased from her history but had the Xtina version been the official one or had she chosen another male vocalist we may have ended up seeing that video / things could’ve been better I mean there’s even a solo version out there what’s pretty strong - I think GUY being the follow up was a bad move having two sexual based songs as singles in a row - strong songs but not necessarily “ARTPOP”. Applause and the title track are probably the closest tracks to the theme of the album despite being sonically very different in terms of production and vocal delivery.

I really feel like she’s extremely capable in the future of going down this route again and actually translating the theme with the music and do it in a way that’s not alienating - Chromatica very almost did this but the pandemic sadly meant we didn’t really see that potential fully.

As a fan of Gaga too I really wanted her to just have fun and enjoy the era (it’s obvious at the time how much the album meant and does mean to her but the pushing of the meaning and mentioning peculiar to the average member of the GP avant- Garde references and things like post warholian experiences didn’t so much relate to people.

I’m so thankful she was able to really reinvent after this era though. The Tony albums, Oscar’s sound of music performance, Joanne, Super Bowl and A Star Is Born all reinvented and brought her talents, vocals and versatility to attention and she’s in a much, much better position now!

This post has been edited by Jord: 12th August 2023, 09:45 AM

+Quote this post
Sour Candy
post 12th August 2023, 04:34 AM
Post #10
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 10,275

Thank you for writing that Jord, very interesting thoughts! heart.gif

I completely agree that ARTPOP was a good concept on paper but I feel that she was in the position (one of the biggest if not THE biggest star in the world) that she just couldn't pull it off at that stage. If she came up with the same concept now, I would think she would have more freedom to do it unsure.gif

+Quote this post
Jessie Where
post 12th August 2023, 08:02 AM
Post #11
Group icon
Break the tension
User: 51

For once I agree with you. I'm not sure it would have necessarily changed the course of the era turning out to be a mess, but that would have been such a fantastic album cover.

She didn't properly nail an album cover for me until 'Chromatica' to be honest.

+Quote this post
Jessie Where
post 12th August 2023, 08:08 AM
Post #12
Group icon
Break the tension
User: 51

Also a big problem with this album for me is that she was SHOUTING her way through a lot of the songs, in a way that made for quite an unpleasant listen. Aside from about half of the album being a mess as it is.

I'm so glad she's refined that now with her vocals!

+Quote this post
Jordanlee
post 12th August 2023, 09:40 AM
Post #13
Group icon
Jord
User: 27,116

I’ve always sort of preferred Applauses single cover to the album cover but I’m not sure many would agree with that.

I don’t think the official album cover was what she originally had in mind though. It would’ve been interesting for this era to have had multiple album artworks though - that could’ve made first week sales bigger and given fan’s opportunity to collect them all - I’d have definitely purchased them all I’d say that may have been a missed opportunity for chart purposes.

That promo shot is a stunning image though but it’s a little too “pretty” for the album theme to be its cover. It’s probably more GP friendly though.

This post has been edited by Jord: 12th August 2023, 10:18 AM

+Quote this post
dandy*
post 12th August 2023, 10:09 AM
Post #14
Group icon
Mansonette
User: 54

I don’t know why she didn’t just go with the obvious and have a Warhol style image of her shoulders and head

+Quote this post
Ansel
post 12th August 2023, 10:41 AM
Post #15
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
Pronouns: he/him
User: 106,739

The official cover is miles better than the promo image imo. The official one is way more in-your-face and using The Birth Of Venus really captures the whole "putting art in pop culture" concept. That promo image is nice enough but it's too beige and tame for an album that's proclaiming to be a huge bold, brash event.

+Quote this post
Adelita
post 12th August 2023, 11:44 AM
Post #16
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 82,234

QUOTE(Jessie Where @ Aug 12 2023, 05:02 AM) *
For once I agree with you. I'm not sure it would have necessarily changed the course of the era turning out to be a mess, but that would have been such a fantastic album cover.

It definitely would have sold more. I can't believe GP saw the official ARTPOP cover in stores and thought: I'm going to buy this album. The cover is visually polluted, sales of this album certainly came mostly from Gaga fans than from casual listeners at the time. A less crowded cover like that shoot would provide the necessary balance in the face of the chaos of the era.

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post 12th August 2023, 05:22 PM
Post #17
Group icon

Would've preferred it to what we got too!

QUOTE(Jord @ Aug 11 2023, 11:22 PM) *
ARTPOP is my least favourite solo Gaga album but I do hold some love and appreciation for it too. Gaga is my absolute #1 here and I’m a massive diehard fan of hers but I can admit that this era could’ve went better.

It’s risky, experimental and has elements of genius running through it but for me the overproduced nature of it kills Gagas actual vocals which we know are some of the best in the business. She’s so talented but this album doesn’t really showcase her strengths, but I do credit her for going full experimental that early on in her career, but it perhaps had too much going on in the production side which maybe was the point of the album, but with a voice like Gagas it was lacking those vocal type moments. The apple show she did on September 1st meant by the time the album dropped we’d already heard around half the album and then certain tracks we did hear were better live than in studio form (in a ideal world that apple show would’ve coincided with the album release week).

I think the concept of the album on paper is genius but I don’t 100% feel like the theme of the album necessarily translated to the album we got and that’s sort of what lost people - this is just my thoughts, but I think with the general public at the time that was sort of the reason behind the turn in opinion of her, maybe even the title of the album might’ve been a bit of a turn off too. I think it’s a case of a great idea and then perhaps too many ideas coming together at once what made the execution appear messy but because the era was short lived and the DWUW video was delayed and scrapped and we had a long wait for a follow up video there was missed opportunities in turning around the era. I feel like the management of the era was terrible and with a better team and someone out there in Gagas side wanting to see her succeed could’ve really driven the success more - like get her on the BRITs / Grammys / push Gypsy the most radio made song on the album and get it out as a single, just do something / anything to turn things around. By the time we got the GUY single and video it felt like it was already too late. Gypsy could’ve at least done something had it been given a push though, I really believe that could’ve given her another top ten hit (or at the very least a long running top 20 hit).

DWUW was a fantastic track but obviously that feature now means it’s erased from her history but had the Xtina version been the official one or had she chosen another male vocalist we may have ended up seeing that video / things could’ve been better I mean there’s even a solo version out there what’s pretty strong - I think GUY being the follow up was a bad move having two sexual based songs as singles in a row - strong songs but not necessarily “ARTPOP”. Applause and the title track are probably the closest tracks to the theme of the album despite being sonically very different in terms of production and vocal delivery.

I really feel like she’s extremely capable in the future of going down this route again and actually translating the theme with the music and do it in a way that’s not alienating - Chromatica very almost did this but the pandemic sadly meant we didn’t really see that potential fully.

As a fan of Gaga too I really wanted her to just have fun and enjoy the era (it’s obvious at the time how much the album meant and does mean to her but the pushing of the meaning and mentioning peculiar to the average member of the GP avant- Garde references and things like post warholian experiences didn’t so much relate to people.

I’m so thankful she was able to really reinvent after this era though. The Tony albums, Oscar’s sound of music performance, Joanne, Super Bowl and A Star Is Born all reinvented and brought her talents, vocals and versatility to attention and she’s in a much, much better position now!

I agree with pretty much all of this - thanks for sharing your thoughts. What a conflicting era it was but you've hit the nail on the head with so many points (the DWUW potential, the title/cover, the over the top production, the theme not translating well etc)

QUOTE(dandy* @ Aug 12 2023, 11:09 AM) *
I don’t know why she didn’t just go with the obvious and have a Warhol style image of her shoulders and head

I think the last thing she wanted then was yet more Madonna comparisons and the Celebration artwork is very Warhol imo kink.gif but yes away from that a great choice!

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post 12th August 2023, 05:24 PM
Post #18
Group icon

Gaga teases release of album and its lead single

Gaga continued in August to tease the upcoming releases with tweets and posts on littlemonsters.com. We also got a new promo image!

"ARTPOP as they pry the single from my bleeding fingers. its a scary thing to revisit those things underneath, the pain in your past. but all I found was raw passion. I thought I was destroyed inside. im just ready to fight. start the music."

"1ST SINGLE FROM ARTPOP COMES AUG.19 #24DAYS"

+Quote this post
Rough_edges
post 12th August 2023, 07:41 PM
Post #19
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 147,987

Have absolutely no love for this album what so ever. Venus is amazing and DWYW + Aura are decent, but this entire project was a massive mistake.

+Quote this post
StupidLove
post 12th August 2023, 10:36 PM
Post #20
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 104,307

Iconic.

+Quote this post

6 Pages V   1 2 3 > »