BuzzJack

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Use of AI in Movies
Track this thread | Email this thread | Print this thread | Download this thread | Subscribe to this forum
awardinary
post 20th May 2024, 03:58 PM
Post #1
Group icon
Here to play, here to stay
Pronouns: he/him
User: 21,587

It's just an early thought about movie trickery to imagine what AI might be able to do one day with older classics if they were remade. I was thinking what would it be like if there was another Star Wars or Back To The Future movie featuring original cast acted through AI using voice and imagery to recreate scenes and tell her stories. Would such a concept be something the general public would want to ever see happen or would there be a moral injustice at using moving images of actors and actresses, some who may have died over time, to retell a story using the character they portrayed on screen? I'm sure one day something like this will be attempted but I'm not convinced it would go down too well with loyal fans and critics.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Chez Wombat
post 20th May 2024, 06:28 PM
Post #2
Group icon
The owls are not what they seem
Pronouns: He/him
User: 9,232

I mean this is exactly what brought the industry to a standstill last year when writers and actors rightfully protested against the increased reliance on AI. Certainly I can see it being subtly integrated, but only so much before people notice. It could well be the end of the industry as we know it as not a single person that isn't a well-off corporate fat cat would likely stand for it.

I'm not convinced it will ever be as widely accepted to regularly make feature films unless the economy completely implodes and films are no longer possible to be made purely by human hand. The uproar would be too much and AI is still pretty laughable in its imitation of humans. Film is a form of expressionism that absolutely needs a human touch, not to mention the irony would be pretty big considering it'd be a product of something many films have forewarned about the dangers of...!

+Quote this post
My... WAP??
post 20th May 2024, 11:12 PM
Post #3
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 122,344

Similar thoughts to Chez here. I can certainly see in the near future that AI will be used to 'assist' in various stages of the filmaking process and this will slowly creep in until it becomes normalised.

In terms of AI scripting an entire feature film, let alone producing it, not likely imo. Firstly, unless there's a rapid growth in the capabilities of AI, the result would be horseshit. I'm sure it won't be too long until we have an AI bot that is technically capable of generating a multi-format response with moving video combined with audio, animation etc... but it will be spitting out Wonka Experience results. Even if it's capabilities did grow to such dizzying heights in the near future, to be able to produce polished and sensible feature films, I don't think the vast majority of the public or industry would support it. There would be a notable court case used to set a precedent fairly swiftly, things like using the likeness of actors without their explicit consent would be formally banned.

+Quote this post
awardinary
post 20th May 2024, 11:40 PM
Post #4
Group icon
Here to play, here to stay
Pronouns: he/him
User: 21,587

I'm certainly not saying I'm a supporter of this, and your reactions agree with how I would expect the majority to react if this were really a concept that could be realised anytime soon. I guess part of me thinks people love to buy into the nostalgia of classic movies, and maybe see what would otherwise be considered as a "long lost movie that never saw the light of day until now" concept. The idea that part of a story that is loved by all had a twist, or even an explanation, that the original moviemakers and actors never revealed. The possibilities when it comes to that are endless, but the capabilities of AI as things stand would not be able to compete.

Nonetheless, I can still see a time when limits are pushed through, and sizeable settlements with personnel are reached to try and remaster some old, archived footage that perhaps was never finished at the time. Consent is the key, and most wouldn't stand for it today, but the next generation may feel differently.

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post 21st May 2024, 04:25 PM
Post #5
Group icon
I'm a paragon so don't perceive me
User: 12,929

Yeah, AI, as in the current LLM technology we're familiar with and various gizmos attached to it is not capable of creativity, it isn't capable of soul, it is not human or anything remotely related to it. Any movie that gets made using this technology as it exists now or even as it exists in the future is not capable of recreating old joys. There's a reason those old classics are beloved, they have real human skill that went into them, and it's the same basic reason that remakes are so often seen as soulless cash grabs, except even worse because you don't even have humans making it.

Could I see a future where technology is used to update the experience of old movies to make new and different experiences. Perhaps, but it would require more sophisticated technology than the fool's gold that these LLMs are and it would need to retain human input. Technology can only really be a means to an end, not a replacement.

+Quote this post

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 3rd June 2024, 05:13 AM