BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> LM5 - How would you have managed it?
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
post Mar 14 2019, 10:07 AM
Post #1
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Members
Member No.: 19,931

Inspired by Juliano's post below, how would you have managed, their most messily handled era so far, which had loads of potential, their most popular album to date material-wise has suffered from weird roll outs, delays, mismatched promo...

QUOTE(Juliano @ Mar 13 2019, 11:52 PM) *
Yeh I'm still recovering from the fact the label seemed to have totally forced Strip out of their hands as a sure fire hit! They kept saying it would be the next single, then out of no where even after it charted well and all of the publicity it was causing, suddenly TAU was the single. I think the confusion didn't help this campaign tbh.

It should have been:
Woman Like Me
Strip
Monster In Me
Wasabi (Extended Single Mix)
Forget You Not

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
post Mar 14 2019, 10:14 AM
Post #2
BuzzJack Legend

For me personally, I think Woman Like Me, even though it was a smash, wasn't the right album lead-in. It's their cheesier/ballady/Heart Fm singles that sell albums. So for me...

I would have gotten rid of Only You which felt half assed and pointless, and just put it on the album as a non-single.

June: Only You Woman Like Me
October: Woman Like Me The Cure or Monster In Me
- LM5 released in late November -
November/December: Immediately start pushing Strip or Wasabi
March: Think About Us or American Boy (These are cute Spring singles)
June: Forget You Not (With a feature for a Summer smash)

+Quote Post
Karl.
post Mar 14 2019, 10:44 AM
Post #3
BuzzJack Regular
Member No.: 23,300
   No Gallery Pics

As much as I bop to Only You, it should've stayed as an album track. I really wanted them to follow the Get Weird schedule but with 5 singles so:

May/June: Woman Like Me (take advantage of the Nicki feature and actually promote in the US)
September: Think About Us (with no feature)
November: LM5 release
December: Monster In Me
March/April: Wasabi
June: Forget You Not or Motivate (with a Latin feature to get another RLR kind of hit at the end of the era)

They started off so good with them bothering to film vertical videos. It was just handled so bad, I hope they learn from this and go hard next era. unsure.gif

+Quote Post
Tafty³³³
post Mar 15 2019, 12:37 AM
Post #4
I found the love, I found the love in me
Group: Genre Mod
Member No.: 5,042

OMG. THE SHADE!!!!! I had this exact strategy written down 4 hours + before!!!! pirate.gif

QUOTE(Jonjo @ Mar 13 2019, 07:35 PM) *
I imagine it's more down to the public not being aware that it exists rather than it not resonating tbh. However, I feel like LM could pull off the riskier tracks! They really should've stuck with 'Strip', and followed it up with 'Monster In Me', then 'Wasabi' and potentially 'Forget You Not' after that (if FYN isn't an option due to being deluxe only, then TAU would've served nicely instead).

The release strategy and timing of label move was horrendous and hindered them, there's no arguing that. It's just so frustrating coz this whole era deserved better. It's their best era material wise imo.

tongue.gif

But ultimately, I agree laugh.gif

+Quote Post
JulianNial
post Mar 15 2019, 07:46 AM
Post #5
Julian Nial
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 18,454
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Jonjo @ Mar 15 2019, 12:37 AM) *
OMG. THE SHADE!!!!! I had this exact strategy written down 4 hours + before!!!! pirate.gif
tongue.gif

But ultimately, I agree laugh.gif

I'm glad we agree then. wink.gif tongue.gif

Having a rent-a-rapper on Forget You Not as single 5 would have been completely forgivable too. Having one on TAU seems so pointless. Getting TY on FYN would have triggered the Harmonizers so hard! laugh.gif

+Quote Post
post Mar 15 2019, 09:06 AM
Post #6
BuzzJack Legend

All 3 of them?

+Quote Post
JulianNial
post Mar 15 2019, 09:35 AM
Post #7
Julian Nial
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 18,454
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(365 @ Mar 15 2019, 09:06 AM) *
All 3 of them?

Oh no, definitely not. Single 5 is forgivable because so many already own or have heard the album by that point.

Featuring the second single as they have, feels so desperate, perhaps that's why Capital chose to snub.

This post has been edited by Juliano: Mar 15 2019, 09:36 AM

+Quote Post
Jordanlee
post Mar 15 2019, 02:14 PM
Post #8
Jord
Member No.: 27,116

I’d have went with...

Strip as the lead single
The Cure as second single
Album release
Monster In Me third single
Wasabi fourth single
Forget You Not possible fifth single

+Quote Post
Defaze
post Mar 15 2019, 06:37 PM
Post #9
BuzzJack Gold Member
Member No.: 17,608
   No Gallery Pics

'Forget You Not' as the first single (replacing 'Only You' in the summer)
'The Cure' as the lead (It's not my favourite track but it'd undoubtedly sell albums).
'Monster in Me' (winter single a la SLS)
'Wasabi' (May/June release like 'Hair' and 'Power').
'Think About Us' if they opted for a fifth.

And none for WLM. x

Honestly, it just saddens me to think about. I didn't think it'd come to this after how expertly executed the Glory Days era was.

This post has been edited by Defaze: Mar 15 2019, 10:01 PM

+Quote Post
colinn
post Mar 15 2019, 07:24 PM
Post #10
BuzzJack Regular
Member No.: 18,033
   No Gallery Pics

I think a summer release would've been too premature for the era to begin, they had just finished their last one in December 2017. 'Only You' was the perfect bridge between 'Glory Days' and 'LM5'.

'Woman Like Me' was the perfect lead single. The feature created interest outside of the fanbase and it became their fastest streaming single. It was also released at the right time. Had the label conflict not began, an X Factor performance should've been slotted 2 days after the release to help their chances at the getting the best debut week sales. I'm confident it would've been a dead cert #1, especially if their team could've secured a Nicki appearance.

There was a definite lack of promotion for 'WLM' - both in the UK and internationally, more talk show appearances and performances should've been booked to maximise hype and awareness.

On album release week, 'Monster in Me' should've been added to most NMF playlists in place of 'Strip'. The song is more appropriate for Winter and a ballad would've helped get an older demographic on board, especially with their appearances on shows like Strictly & Graham Norton etc. It would've allowed them to showcase their vocal capabilities and help shift 'LM5' over the Christmas period.

A dark music video (and vertical Spotify video) with striking visuals a la Billie Eilish's 'Bury a Friend' would've been ideal to give them more of an edge and tap into the mature image they wanted to portray this era. It could've also helped with streaming support internationally.

The major concern I have with the album is for how great in quality it is, there is definite lack of single choices. I would've went for 'Wasabi' as single 3 because fan favourite. I do, however, think they are doing the right thing by releasing a new single this summer. Hopefully it will help push the album to platinum.

But I do think the era has been handled well, considering the label conflict and transition.

This post has been edited by colinn: Mar 15 2019, 07:33 PM

+Quote Post
Mateja
post Mar 17 2019, 11:58 AM
Post #11
BuzzJack Climber
Member No.: 15,071
   No Gallery Pics

I think 'Woman Like Me' was the right choice for the lead single.

The problem with this album is that it doesn't have any other STRONG potential singles. If they had half a dozen potemtial singles on the album, and didn't mess up their relationship with SYCO by pushing 'Strip' as a single, the era would be more successful.

+Quote Post
post Mar 19 2019, 09:27 AM
Post #12
BuzzJack Legend

Yeah, I really can't at thinking Woman Like Me shouldn't have been a single. it's been one of their biggest hits!

+Quote Post
blacksquare
post Mar 19 2019, 09:38 AM
Post #13
BuzzJack Gold Member
Member No.: 23,471
   No Gallery Pics

Am I the only one who thinks The Cure and even Told You So would have done better than Monster in Me?

+Quote Post
post Mar 19 2019, 09:41 AM
Post #14
BuzzJack Legend

QUOTE(blacksquare @ Mar 19 2019, 09:38 AM) *
Am I the only one who thinks The Cure and even Told You So would have done better than Monster in Me?

I think maybe you’re right. I’m not sure. From what I’ve heard on the inside I think they’re returning to Told You So after whatever the brand new single is.

+Quote Post
Defaze
post Mar 19 2019, 10:29 AM
Post #15
BuzzJack Gold Member
Member No.: 17,608
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(365 @ Mar 19 2019, 09:27 AM) *
Yeah, I really can't at thinking Woman Like Me shouldn't have been a single. it's been one of their biggest hits!

I think it was maybe a bit too polarising for a lead single. Even the polls on here indicate that. SOTME and especially 'Black Magic' were a lot more unanimously liked -- plus had the added benefit of actually shifting albums. Not to discredit its success, but I think WLM was helped massively by being the lead and anything they released would've smash on name and hype alone.

QUOTE(365 @ Mar 19 2019, 09:41 AM) *
I think maybe you’re right. I’m not sure. From what I’ve heard on the inside I think they’re returning to Told You So after whatever the brand new single is.

Pls no.

+Quote Post
Tafty³³³
post Mar 19 2019, 12:01 PM
Post #16
I found the love, I found the love in me
Group: Genre Mod
Member No.: 5,042

QUOTE(365 @ Mar 19 2019, 09:41 AM) *
Lmao. Nah thanks. Keep it. </3 New era plz x

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 01:16 PM