BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
6 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Elvis Books
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Tilly
post 2nd June 2006, 01:00 PM
Post #1
Group icon
I just can't help believin'
User: 191

How did a baby born in a shotgun shack in Mississippi grow up to become a Superstar known throughout the world? And what about the journey he took from poverty to becoming ‘The King’

There are literally hundreds of books out there written about Elvis Presley. Some great and some not worth the paper they were written on. Some complement others, some contradict. Where on earth do you start if you want to know what made Elvis tick?

I thought it would be helpful to have a thread about Elvis books we could recommend to people wanting to find out more about the man behind the music.

I have only read a few, some good, some not so, but they have all helped me to learn more about Elvis, the man! There’s still books in my bookcase that I’ve yet to read, but I thought I’d start off by suggesting some books I’ve read and including some reviews that might help the Elvis book novice.

Please feel free to add any others thumbup.gif
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Tilly
post 2nd June 2006, 01:09 PM
Post #2
Group icon

IPB Image

Last Train To Memphis and the follow up book, Careless Love, by Peter Guralnick. are recognised as being, probably the best biographies of Elvis Presley

Review

Peter Guralnick demonstrated in his definitive history of Soul music, Sweet Soul Music : Rhythm and Blues and the Southern Dream of Freedom, that he has a nearly unique grasp of the singular way in which popular music and the political culture intersect in American society. Along with Robert Palmer (Deep Blues) and Greil Marcus (Mystery Train), he has helped to craft a still pretty slender body of literature which takes pop music and its impact seriously, but also places it within a larger societal context. Now, in his two part biography of Elvis Presley, he has set out to strip away both the mythology (Volume One) and the demonology (Volume Two) that obscure Elvis and to restore some reasonable sense of perspective on the man and his music. In so doing, he offers us a new and useful opportunity to understand the personal and societal forces that converged to make him into The King, one of the genuine cultural icons of the 20th Century, and to trigger the Rock & Roll Era.

There are several main factors that Guralnick cites, which appear to have had a particular influence on how events transpired. First is the city of Memphis itself, which served as a nearly perfect crucible for forging the blend of Gospel, Country, Blues and Rhythm & Blues that made up Elvis's sound. A southern city, but not Deep South, there was at least limited interaction between the white and black worlds. But most importantly for this story, the city was saturated with music. Second, Sam Phillips, owner of his own fledgling Sun Records operation, was on the scene looking for a white act that could bring the black sound to a mass audience:

Sam Phillips possessed an almost Whitmanesque belief not just in the nobility of the American
dream but in the nobility of that dream as it filtered down to its most downtrodden citizen, the
Negro. 'I saw--I don't remember when, but I saw as a child--I thought to myself: suppose that I
would have been born black. Suppose that I would have been born a little bit more down on the
economic ladder. I think I felt from the beginning the total inequity of man's inhumanity to his
brother. And it didn't take its place with me of getting up in the pulpit and preaching. It took the
aspect with me that someday I would act on my feelings, I would show them on an individual,
one-to-one basis.'

Finally, there was the man, actually he was more of a boy at the beginning, Elvis Presley. And Elvis was himself the product of several forces. There was the impoverished kind of white trash milieu from which Elvis came and which gave him a sense of alienation and otherness. As Phillips said of him:

He tried not to show it, but he felt so inferior. He reminded me of a black man in that way; his
insecurity was so markedly like that of a black person.

Then there was his mother, Gladys, who--in addition to raising him to be polite, respectful, humble, even deferential--also gave him unconditional love, bordering on worship, which he returned in kind. These forces combined, as so often seems to be the case, to make him insecure on the one hand, particularly in the manner in which he approached and dealt with people, but, on the other, left him burning with an inner certainty that he was special and was meant to accomplish great things.

All of these forces combined into a volatile mix in the Sun recording studios on July 5, 1954. Phillips had brought Elvis in to work with a couple of local musicians, Scotty Moore and Bill Black, because he wanted them to do some ballads and Elvis had done some demos there, which Philips was not overwhelmed by but he thought Elvis had some potential as a ballad singer. The session was pretty desultory, if not downright unsuccessful, until that inevitable, now mythical, moment when during a break Elvis started fooling around doing Arthur "Big Boy" Crudup's old blues tune "That's All Right [Mama]". Phillips, initially shocked that this quiet white mama's boy even new the song, immediately recognized that this was just the type of thing that he had been looking for and got them to record it.

All of the tumblers had clicked into place. It was the nature of Memphis that Elvis and Sam had been exposed to, more like drenched in, the music of the black community. Sam happened to be looking for someone who could transport that music and, most importantly, the style and atmospherics of the music, into the white community. And in walks Elvis, that quintessential hybrid of insecurity and manifest destiny.

If success did not come overnight it did come quickly and Guralnick masterfully charts the meteoric rise that took them up the charts and took Elvis to television and then to Hollywood. This first volume also sees Colonel Parker take over from Sam, the purchase of Graceland, the eventual breakup of the original band, the death of Elvis's mother and his induction into the Army. Guralnick makes it all seem fresh and exciting, carrying the reader along on the tide of events. An incredible number of famous names stud the narrative and prove to have significant roles to play, including: Johnny Cash, Jerry Lee Lewis, Hank Snow, B.B. King, Sammy Davis, Jr., Eddy Arnold, Bill Monroe, Steve Allen, Milton Berle and, of course, Ed Sullivan. This is a great biography.

Review taken from the Official Australian Fan Club

+Quote this post
Tilly
post 2nd June 2006, 01:14 PM
Post #3
Group icon

IPB Image

Careless Love - The Unmaking Of Elvis Presley by Peter Guralnick

Review

Have you ever picked up a book and, just by the feel of it, known that you are holding something special? Well, that's how I felt when I picked Peter Guralnick's latest Elvis tome, Careless Love, out of its package after it had been delivered by the postman.

Careless Love is, of course, the follow-up to Last Train To Memphis. Together they form perhaps the most significant general review of Elvis's career. Certainly there are similarities between the two volumes: the dust-jacket of Careless Love maintains the black and white moody photo theme of Last Train and the quality is immediately apparent. For me, however, Careless is streets ahead as far as descriptive narrative is concerned.

I disliked the artificial conversations used a lot in Last Train, which seemed to diminish the authenticity of the story. Guralnick has avoided the same pitfall in Careless Love, where he, much more believably, relies on quotes from other publications about Elvis and tracts from his own interviews to back up the ongoing developments. Of these, I especially liked the excerpt from an interview the author had with Billy Goldenberg, when he spoke about working with Elvis on the music for the TV Special in 1968.

The Elvis story has so often seemed to me to be almost Shakespearean in its tragical aspects. Careless Love merely confirms these feelings, with Elvis paralleling Hamlet's manic depression, surrounded by wheelers and dealers. Much in the book has been written before, but this, at last, is a lucid, complete and chronological account. As one progresses through the book, it becomes ever more clear to what extent Elvis was manipulated by all around him, how his talent was largely squandered by a manager whose sole interest was self-glorification and how Elvis, himself, so rarely reacted, but remained quietly professional and did the best with whatever was offered; at the same time he was, equally clearly, seething inside. The book pulls no punches, however, and honestly relates the decline, both personally and professionally, which occurred in the seventies, without resorting to smut or innuendo.

In Careless Love, Guralnick follows Elvis's life from his arrival in Germany in late 1958 to his death in August 1977. I write "life" rather than simply "career" because Guralnick offers as much insight into the private side of Elvis as into his public side: he examines his relationships with family and friends honestly and objectively, whilst still being able to follow the career aspects closely and with a great deal of insight. In this latter respect, the recording sessions are dealt with to a greater or lesser extent, depending on the author's appreciation of them (the "Elvis Is Back" and "How Great Thou Art Sessions" in some detail, for example, but "Something For Everybody" and film soundtracks are skipped over or ignored); similarly the space and descriptive effort allocated to the making of the sixties films diminishes noticeably as the book progresses; on the other hand, the almost analytical nature of the chapter devoted to the TV Special is about as good a description as you'll get of the event -- it's exciting to read and makes you reach yet again for the video.

Equally engrossing is the account of the the American Studio recordings, followed by the build-up to Elvis's return to Las Vegas, the triumph that this turned out to be and then on to the Houston Astrodome. The steadily diminishing state of Elvis, both professionally and physically (and mentally?) after the Aloha performance makes for often painful reading, raising again the question of why nobody did anything about it. Guralnick does not attempt to provide answers, however, though he intimates that there really was nothing anyone could have done to prevent what was basically a self-destructive course.

Throughout the book a number of issues keep resurfacing. I might have seemed rather disparaging above, writing about Tom Parker's self-glorification; I still feel that this was largely why Parker acted as he did, but although much of what that man did was, I believe, detrimental to Elvis's career, it becomes apparent in Careless Love just how hard Parker worked toward whatever he considered his own goal was. Another issue is the effect that Elvis had on people who initially had a low opinion of him: examples include the American Studio session players, the Sweet Inspirations, and, perhaps most eloquently described, Joe Guercio, but there are countless others.

Careless Love is propped full of information and anecdotes, much of which was new and extremely interesting to me. And if not new, then in any case all this information is assembled together as an excellent synopsis of everything that we know about the last twenty years of Elvis's life. Copious notes reveal the sources used by Guralnick and these include numerous interviews with individuals who have first-hand knowledge of the information put forward. Of particular interest are the details of the karate film planned by Elvis, based on a recent interview with Linda Thompson, for example.

My only reserve about Careless Love is the unnecessary use of profanity. But other than that, the book is a real must.

0fficial Australian Fan Club

+Quote this post
Tilly
post 2nd June 2006, 01:26 PM
Post #4
Group icon

IPB Image

Elvis and the Memphis Mafia by Alanna Nash with Billy Smith, Marty Lacker and Lamar Fike

Review

Elvis & the Memphis Mafia is the long awaited re-issue of the author's critically acclaimed Elvis Aaron Presley: Revelations of the Memphis Mafia. "Alanna Nash has succeeded in creating a portrait of Elvis that gives new revelations into the heart and soul of the man and his music...[The book contains] broad, rich strokes of color that could only come from interviewing those who knew him best... If you're a fan of Elvis Presley's -- as I am -- this is a book you won't want to put down."

Official Australian Fan Club

I know that not all Elvis fans like this book, but personally I enjoyed it. Like any book written by 'those who knew him', memories are clouded by experience, but this book is set out interview-style and shows how the three men saw things differently. For me, this book shows quite clearly that Elvis was a human being with frailties, just like the rest of us and I particularly liked Billy Smith's input as he was actually Elvis' cousin and was very close to Elvis, particularly at the end of his life. cool.gif

+Quote this post
Tilly
post 2nd June 2006, 01:35 PM
Post #5
Group icon

IPB Image

Elvis : A Life In Music - The Complete Recording Sessions by Ernst Jorgensen

For the first time, the complete story of Elvis Presley's recording career is told in this remarkable book. With exclusive access to the RCA vaults, producer Ernst Jorgensen brings to intimate life every moment that Elvis spent in the studio--from the spontaneous joy of his early sessions to the intensely creative periods of his later career. At once the definitive recording session guide and a compellingly readable narrative, this is the ultimate companion to the singer and his songs.

My copy of this book is well thumbed and I've never read it all the way through from start to finish. It's a great reference book and the sort that you can dip in and out of. Listening to a particular CD, you can read up in this book all about the session when it was recorded. I love it! thumbup.gif

IPB Image

Sessions III by JAT - Elvis Presley Book

Sessions III, is the third volume in the acclaimed series, containing the most complete and up-to-date sessionography with around 500 pages including 100 amazing and unpublished photos. You can see Elvis creating his music in photographs from the sessions themselves, some in full, stunning colour. You will be taken back in time to every recording session and professionally recorded concert and performance. Elvis Sessions III is a must for every Elvis fan!

This is a great companion to the previous book biggrin.gif

+Quote this post
Tilly
post 2nd June 2006, 01:39 PM
Post #6
Group icon

IPB Image

Elvis : Day By Day - The Definitive Record of His Life and Music by Peter Guralnick and Ernst Jorgensen

Once in a while a book comes along that stands out from the myriad of other books published about Elvis. Elvis Day By Day – The Definitive Record of His Life and Music is one such book. The day-by-day chronicle of Elvis’ life is well written and fascinating. Everything is covered, from the well known to the obscure and from the humorous to the unpleasant. Highly Recomended.

This is a great book, a kind of diary of Elvis' life with some fantastic pictures and with Peter and Ernst as authors, you can be sure it's good! cool.gif

+Quote this post
BeautifulAngel
post 4th June 2006, 04:14 PM
Post #7
Group icon
Love me tender, love me sweet, never let me go.
User: 188

IPB Image

That voice, Graceland, the cars, the girls, the hair...Elvis Presley revolutionised Western pop culture when, at age twenty-two, he became the world's first modern superstar. A Memphis Beau Brummel even before he was famous, Elvis's personal style, like his music, had such a direct impact on his audience that it continues to permeate our world today. With ELVIS PRESLEY Pamela Keogh compellingly examines Elvis's life and style to reveal the generous, complex, spiritual man behind the fourteen-carat gold sunglasses. As Keogh demonstrates in ELVIS PRESLEY, Presley is in every sense a dynamic style icon - a man who travelled from poverty to fame, and through his very life defined modern culture. From his days as a young man in Memphis who wore black lace shirts and long hair, to his years as a rockabilly bad boy in a slouchy Lansky jacket, through the clean cut Hollywood phase, and finally to the jumpsuit-wearing Vegas era, Presley's sense of style - like his voice - was unmistakable. Drawing from extensive research and interviews Keogh introduces readers to the distinctive Elvises that emerged throughout his career, complete with fascinating insights into his life and times.

+Quote this post
Derick
post 2nd August 2006, 10:03 AM
Post #8
Group icon
A Friend Of Elvis !
User: 203

Elvis - A Celebration Publisher: Dorking Kingsley 608 Pages HardCover

IPB Image

Long live the King! This is the ultimate pictorial tribute to the greatest Rock'n'Roll legend that ever lived. With exclusive archive images from the Elvis Presley Estate in Graceland, this sumptuous celebration of the life of the King is must-have for fans young and old alike. yahoo.gif

This post has been edited by Derick: 2nd August 2006, 10:09 AM

+Quote this post
Tilly
post 9th August 2006, 02:35 PM
Post #9
Group icon

QUOTE(Derick @ Aug 2 2006, 11:08 AM) *

Elvis - A Celebration Publisher: Dorking Kingsley 608 Pages HardCover
IPB Image

Long live the King! This is the ultimate pictorial tribute to the greatest Rock'n'Roll legend that ever lived. With exclusive archive images from the Elvis Presley Estate in Graceland, this sumptuous celebration of the life of the King is must-have for fans young and old alike. yahoo.gif

That's a great book. Derick. I love it, it's got loads of fantastic pictures dance.gif

+Quote this post
Derick
post 11th August 2006, 07:22 AM
Post #10
Group icon
A Friend Of Elvis !

QUOTE(tilly @ Aug 9 2006, 03:40 PM) *

That's a great book. Derick. I love it, it's got loads of fantastic pictures dance.gif

It Is Carole. One Of My Faves wink.gif

+Quote this post
Derick
post 7th October 2006, 03:16 PM
Post #11
Group icon
A Friend Of Elvis !

QUOTE(tilly @ Jun 2 2006, 02:50 PM) *

IPB Image

Elvis : A Life In Music - The Complete Recording Sessions by Ernst Jorgensen

For the first time, the complete story of Elvis Presley's recording career is told in this remarkable book. With exclusive access to the RCA vaults, producer Ernst Jorgensen brings to intimate life every moment that Elvis spent in the studio--from the spontaneous joy of his early sessions to the intensely creative periods of his later career. At once the definitive recording session guide and a compellingly readable narrative, this is the ultimate companion to the singer and his songs.

My copy of this book is well thumbed and I've never read it all the way through from start to finish. It's a great reference book and the sort that you can dip in and out of. Listening to a particular CD, you can read up in this book all about the session when it was recorded. I love it! thumbup.gif

I Have just Ordered This book, looking forward to reading It thumbup.gif

+Quote this post
Jacfrost
post 28th October 2006, 02:36 PM
Post #12
Group icon
BuzzJack Regular
User: 1,523

sorry, posted something about Jerry schillings book but just found a thread on page 2 wacko.gif

This post has been edited by Jacfrost: 28th October 2006, 02:40 PM

+Quote this post
Tilly
post 28th October 2006, 04:54 PM
Post #13
Group icon

QUOTE(Jacfrost @ Oct 28 2006, 03:56 PM) *

sorry, posted something about Jerry schillings book but just found a thread on page 2 wacko.gif

That's okay, Jac wink.gif have you read Jerry Schilling's book? I was going to get it but I thought I'd better wait and hope someone buys it me for Christmas as I really want to read that one dance.gif

+Quote this post
Jacfrost
post 4th November 2006, 07:08 PM
Post #14
Group icon
BuzzJack Regular
User: 1,523

QUOTE(tilly @ Oct 28 2006, 05:15 PM) *

That's okay, Jac wink.gif have you read Jerry Schilling's book? I was going to get it but I thought I'd better wait and hope someone buys it me for Christmas as I really want to read that one dance.gif

I just received it in the mail this morning, enjoying it so far, I'll post something when I've finished thumbup.gif

+Quote this post
Tilly
post 4th February 2007, 08:45 PM
Post #15
Group icon

I'm at last hoping to get this book in the next week or so. I'd ordered it through HMV about 2 months ago and finally cancelled it today when I found out Amazon have got some copies in stock. Just hope they don't let me down blink.gif

+Quote this post
Tilly
post 9th February 2007, 05:57 PM
Post #16
Group icon

It arrived today cheer.gif

+Quote this post
Tilly
post 20th March 2007, 11:02 PM
Post #17
Group icon

Here's a review of Elvis at 21- New York to Memphis thumbup.gif It truly is a beautiful book and the pictures are fantastic dance.gif

http://www.elvisinfonet.com/bookreview_wertheimer_06.html

+Quote this post
Tilly
post 24th March 2007, 07:36 PM
Post #18
Group icon

"Elvis and Kathy".

One of the most sought after Elvis books ever written is Kathy Westmoreland's "Elvis and Kathy". With copies selling on eBay for up to US$500.00, and book dealers listing it at prices as high as $999.00, this is one book many fans want.

http://www.elvisinfonet.com/bookreview_sus...stmoreland.html

Has anyone read this book? smile.gif

+Quote this post
Rusty
post 4th June 2007, 05:12 PM
Post #19
Group icon
New Entry
User: 3,565

No I haven't read it yet but it looks interesting.
I need to pick up some Elvis books.
The first Elvis book I read was Albert Goldman's
book that I got when I was 10. I never did finish it
by the way sick2.gif My favorite is Elvis and Me.
I want to try and pick up Jerry's new book about Elvis.
cheer.gif

+Quote this post
Tilly
post 4th June 2007, 10:53 PM
Post #20
Group icon

Hi Rusty, I'm reading Jerry's book at the moment. My fave Elvis books are Peter Guralnick's two, Last Train To Memphis and Careless Love. I also enjoyed Elvis And The Memphis Mafia by Alanna Nash. I agree with you about Goldman's book Pirate.gif There are so many books about, I've read a few, I even read Elvis - What Happened smile.gif

+Quote this post

6 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 24th April 2024, 11:56 PM