BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
5 Pages V  « < 3 4 5  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Samantha's 50 Favourite Taylor Songs, #16-#18 Posted | Losing Haunted was Revenge
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
UltraCruelSummer
post 22nd September 2017, 10:16 PM
Post #81
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.
User: 20,947

'You don't have to call anymore, I won't pick up the phone.'

20. You're Not Sorry

Kicking off the top 20 we have our final Fearless album track, the ballad 'You're Not Sorry'.

Taylor describes the song as
Swift explained to That's Country the song's protagonist is based on an actual person. Said the singer: "It is about this guy who turned out to not be who I thought I was. He came across as prince charming. Well, it turned out prince charming had a lot of secrets that he didn't tell me about. And one by one, I would figure them out. I would find out who he really was. I wrote this when I was at the breaking point of, 'You know what? Don't even think that you can keep on hurting me.' It was to a point where I had to walk away."

Starting the top 20 is the final Fearless album track, You're Not Sorry, with only the two hit singles from that album remaining in the countdown! With their being no more Taylor Swift songs in the countdown still, this means that 17 of the top 19 are from Taylor's last three era's! This has always been my album track highlight from Fearless, Taylor's vocals are incredible and this is one of her main songs that prove what an incredible writer she is <3 This piano ballad is gorgeous and the chorus is beautiful, a major Taylor highlight <3
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
UltraCruelSummer
post 22nd September 2017, 10:49 PM
Post #82
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.

'So you were never a saint, And I’ve loved in shades of wrong.'

19. State Of Grace

Into 19th we have the album opener from Red, 'State Of Grace', which went top 40 in the UK iirc?!

This song finds Taylor singing of those blissed out days when you first fall in love. "And I never saw you coming . And I'll never be the same again," she sings. While previewing the song on Good Morning America, Taylor explained: "I wrote this song about when you first fall in love with someone. The possibilities. Kind of thinking about the different ways that it could go."

Into 19th and we have another album opener in the form of Red's 'State Of Grace'. This is the most perfect Taylor album opener, it just works PERFECTLY as an opener and it wouldn't work as well if it was placed anywhere else on the album! I love how the song builds as it goes on and the middle-8 is f***ing incredible, I adore the chorus and yh this is always one of the main Taylor tracks that I always go back to <3

+Quote this post
HarryBorelli
post 23rd September 2017, 01:15 AM
Post #83
Group icon
The Lady Said Go Home!
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 20,835

Both good songs wub.gif

+Quote this post
Riser
post 23rd September 2017, 03:13 AM
Post #84
Group icon
The horrors persist, but so do I
User: 19,534

Omg YES. 'You're Not Sorry' is pretty underrated, not quite single-worthy but SUCH a strong ballad. I remember first discovering the CSI Remix that they used when she made a guest appearance on CSI, it's not quite as good but I'm still fond of it anyway. Agreed that 'State Of Grace' is an outstanding album opener, amazing that she went in more of a rock direction and did so well with it. I'd so love for her to go back in this direction musically wub.gif

+Quote this post
John-James
post 23rd September 2017, 11:24 AM
Post #85
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 20,665

State of Grace is my favourite Taylor song, glad to see it Top 20 smile.gif

+Quote this post
Josh!
post 24th September 2017, 09:28 PM
Post #86
Group icon
c:
User: 20,692

Not that familiar with You're Not Sorry. I think I've heard it a couple times whilst exploring her older stuff but it hasn't really stuck with me much, will have to make sure to listen to it a bit more.

State of Grace is lovely though. I'd never heard it before this year but it's one of my big new Taylor discoveries wub.gif I think I'd have it around the same place on a personal countdown of mine too already ohmy.gif

Excited for more, Sam wub.gif

+Quote this post
Last Dreamer
post 2nd October 2017, 04:55 PM
Post #87
Group icon
With Kristina in heart
User: 28,104

Ultra, I predict "Love Story" and "Shake It Off" in your Top 2.

Personally I heard only her singles and Taylor was the type of act, which I want to know better.

With Taylor Swift AF I must compile my top singles list as I did for Girls Aloud and Madonna before.

Also you and other Taylor fans can check my current "Top 100 Favourite Songs of 2009" list (if you didn't it before) and will know the positions of all 4 Taylor singles from that year. "Teardrops Of My Guitar" will be available in future 2008 list. smile.gif

This post has been edited by Good Old Days: 2nd October 2017, 05:06 PM

+Quote this post
UltraCruelSummer
post 13th October 2017, 07:26 PM
Post #88
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.

I'll be finishing this over my half term starting at the end of next week cos I am busy and stressed af atm.

+Quote this post
UltraCruelSummer
post 23rd October 2017, 09:02 PM
Post #89
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.

As it's half term I'll be finishing this off *.* will restart tonight!

QUOTE(HarryEzra @ Sep 23 2017, 02:15 AM) *
Both good songs wub.gif

thx Harry & glad you like them <3

QUOTE(Riser @ Sep 23 2017, 04:13 AM) *
Omg YES. 'You're Not Sorry' is pretty underrated, not quite single-worthy but SUCH a strong ballad. I remember first discovering the CSI Remix that they used when she made a guest appearance on CSI, it's not quite as good but I'm still fond of it anyway. Agreed that 'State Of Grace' is an outstanding album opener, amazing that she went in more of a rock direction and did so well with it. I'd so love for her to go back in this direction musically wub.gif

Ikr, its so underrated sad.gif Omg I've actually never heard the CSI remix ohmy.gif Lemme check that out! Same, I'd also love Taylor to do another song in the vein of State Of Grace!
thanks Riser <3

QUOTE(John-James @ Sep 23 2017, 12:24 PM) *
State of Grace is my favourite Taylor song, glad to see it Top 20 smile.gif

Thanks JJ & glad you stan SOG, it's sfg <3

QUOTE(Josh! @ Sep 24 2017, 10:28 PM) *
Not that familiar with You're Not Sorry. I think I've heard it a couple times whilst exploring her older stuff but it hasn't really stuck with me much, will have to make sure to listen to it a bit more.

State of Grace is lovely though. I'd never heard it before this year but it's one of my big new Taylor discoveries wub.gif I think I'd have it around the same place on a personal countdown of mine too already ohmy.gif

Excited for more, Sam wub.gif

Thanks Josh, hopefully YNS will grow on you and yasss at SOG being a good discovery for you *.* <3

QUOTE(Good Old Days @ Oct 2 2017, 05:55 PM) *
Ultra, I predict "Love Story" and "Shake It Off" in your Top 2.

Personally I heard only her singles and Taylor was the type of act, which I want to know better.

With Taylor Swift AF I must compile my top singles list as I did for Girls Aloud and Madonna before.

Also you and other Taylor fans can check my current "Top 100 Favourite Songs of 2009" list (if you didn't it before) and will know the positions of all 4 Taylor singles from that year. "Teardrops Of My Guitar" will be available in future 2008 list. smile.gif

Thanks Good Old Days <3 We'll see! Sounds good and will check it out a bit later <3

+Quote this post
UltraCruelSummer
post 23rd October 2017, 09:32 PM
Post #90
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.

'She's better known for the things that she does on the mattress.'

18. Better Than Revenge

Into 18th we have another album track from Speak Now, the clapback 'Better Than Revenge'.

The first line of this song goes: "The story starts when it was hot and it was summer." Taylor Swift and Joe Jonas dated in the summer of 2008. Then Joe met 10,000 BC actress Camilla Belle on the set of the Jonas Bros "Lovebug" video, where Taylor was nowhere to be found. This song appears to be the Queen of Tween's melodic stab at Belle for stealing her boyfriend - "She came along, got him alone, and let's hear the applause/She took him faster than you could say sabotage."

This is definitely one of my favourite Taylor attacking another person songs laugh.gif It has the kind of cutthroat, fun lyrics & beat that I love in country songs and this always hit me from my first listen. I adore the lyrics and I'm always quoting them in conversations still and Taylor's vocal is fab on this. The guitar bit just before the final chorus is SO good and this is a sing-a-long anthem *.* I still bop to this all the time <3

+Quote this post
UltraCruelSummer
post 23rd October 2017, 09:37 PM
Post #91
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.

'Come on, come on don't leave me like this.'

17. Haunted

Into 17th we have ANOTHER album track from her magnum opus Speak Now, the majestic 'Haunted'.

Taylor explained this song's meaning on her website: "'Haunted' is about the moment that you realize the person you're in love with is drifting and fading fast. And you don't know what to do, but in that period of time, in that phase of love, where it's fading out, time moves so slowly. Everything hinges on what that last text message said, and you're realizing that he's kind of falling out of love. That's a really heartbreaking and tragic thing to go through, because the whole time you're trying to tell yourself it's not happening. I went through this, and I ended up waking up in the middle of the night writing this song about it."
Taylor explained why she used a string section for this song: "I wanted the music and the orchestration to reflect the intensity of the emotion the song is about, so we recorded strings with Paul Buckmaster at Capitol Studios in Los Angeles. It was an amazing experience - recording this entire big, live string section that I think in the end really captured the intense, chaotic feeling of confusion I was looking for."

Haunted was actually the original 21st but I realised I couldn't have this missing the top 20 so I had a lil reshuffle about and this ended up as high as 17th! Production wise, this is one of Taylor's best songs, the string production is beautiful and haunting and works perfectly with the lyrics. I adore the lyrics and once again, they are really enhanced and made to shine through the production and really capture the emotion of the song! I adore Taylor's vocals in the chorus and the last chorus is perfect. This is such an album track gem and due to the title of the song, an obligatory fave around Halloween *.*

Only 3 album tracks to go now messT!! (though if we include singles that missed the top 40 in the UK then that's nearly half the countdown x). What are the final 3 album tracks?

+Quote this post
UltraCruelSummer
post 23rd October 2017, 10:50 PM
Post #92
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.

'Loving him is like driving a new Maserati down a dead-end street.'

16. Red

Into 16th and we have the title track from Taylor's 4th album, 'Red'.

Before playing the track, Swift explained its meaning: "I wrote this song about the fact that some things are just hard to forget," she said, "because the emotions involved with them were so intense and, to me, intense emotion is red."
Taylor first announced the title of the album during a web-chat on August 13, 2012. The Country star explained that she decided to name the LP after this song, as its lyrics encompass the entire theme of the project. "Thinking about what that means to me and all the different emotions that are written about on this album - they're all pretty much about the tumultuous, crazy, insane, intense, semi-toxic relationships that I've experienced in the last two years," she noted. "All those emotions - spanning from intense love, intense frustration, jealousy, confusion - in my mind, all those emotions are red. There's nothing in between; there is nothing beige about any of those feelings."

Just missing the top 15 is the title track from Taylor's 4th album, the country jam 'Red'. This has always been a major highlight from the album and one of the songs I always return to. I love the instrumental & Taylor shines on this, once again the pre-bit before the final chorus is the highlight *.* This is another song that shows off Taylor's fab songwriting abilities perfectly, I love all the colour related images in the chorus and the maserati lyric is iconic *.* A fab track and one of the best highlights of Taylor's pop-country songs!

+Quote this post
Josh!
post 23rd October 2017, 11:04 PM
Post #93
Group icon
c:
User: 20,692

"Better Than Revenge" is completely amazing! I discovered it through the album track competition here a couple of months back but I've gone back to it loads since then already. I agree with you that I love the cut-throat lyrics but it's still a very catchy pop song too. One of her best tracks pre-Red in my opinion wub.gif

I love "Red" too and it's one of my favourite pure-pop Taylor songs. It feels pretty underrated and forgotten nowadays which is a shame but I guess it wasn't exactly the biggest hit unfortunately sad.gif

+Quote this post

5 Pages V  « < 3 4 5
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 26th April 2024, 09:00 PM