BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Calvin Harris hates being called Calvin Harris
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
danG
post Apr 16 2019, 09:42 AM
Post #1
can you hear me? S.O.S ◢ ◤
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 11,746
   No Gallery Pics

If anyone is ever lucky enough to meet him, you're probably better off calling him by his real name Adam!

Calvin Harris has revealed in a new interview that he hates being called his artist name in person.

Real name Adam Wiles, he revealed the news on Boogie & Arlene’s Show on Scottish radio channel Clyde 1.

“No one calls me Calvin," he said. "It’s horrible and it’s not my name. At the start of my career [when]people were meeting me for the first time, I let it slide. It was sort of a nickname.”

But Wiles explained that as he got bigger as an artist, he decided he couldn't take it any more. “I was like, ‘I’m sorry this is ridiculous. You’re speaking to my alter ego,'” he said. “Since that day I’ve been like, ‘I don’t care if you think it’s a nickname or anything, it’s not my name.'”

In November, Wiles stated The Chemical Brothers were a huge inspiration for his music. That was after he landed the No. 40 spot on the DJ Mag Top 100 DJs poll last year.

Wiles also landed the top spot on the Forbes DJ rich list last year.

https://djmag.com/news/calvin-harris-hates-...d-calvin-harris

As an aside, when did you realise Calvin Harris was only his stage name? Think it was a good five years after his debut before I found out from going through his Wiki.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Spiceboy
post Apr 16 2019, 01:54 PM
Post #2
BuzzJack Enthusiast
Group: Members
Member No.: 39,568
   No Gallery Pics

I realised just now... I'm not being funny but he comes across as a bit of an arsehole there. Why should he expect people to know his real name if he decides to call himself Calvin Harris? It's like Elton John being annoyed that people don't call him Reginald Dwight or George Michael being annoyed not to be called Georgios Panayiotou. He should have stuck with his own name if it bothers him that much, Adam Wiles is perfectly fine for a DJ... rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
danG
post Apr 16 2019, 03:12 PM
Post #3
can you hear me? S.O.S ◢ ◤
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 11,746
   No Gallery Pics

Apparently he chose the stage name because his first track was more of a soul track and he wanted have a more 'racially ambiguous' name.

Yeah, I know that doesn't sound great. And it's probably (partly) why he's not so keen on the name now but he's stuck with it.

+Quote Post
pippa
post Apr 16 2019, 03:39 PM
Post #4
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 14,031
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Spiceboy @ Apr 16 2019, 02:54 PM) *
I realised just now... I'm not being funny but he comes across as a bit of an arsehole there. Why should he expect people to know his real name if he decides to call himself Calvin Harris? It's like Elton John being annoyed that people don't call him Reginald Dwight or George Michael being annoyed not to be called Georgios Panayiotou. He should have stuck with his own name if it bothers him that much, Adam Wiles is perfectly fine for a DJ... rolleyes.gif

Totally agree, he is known under the name of Calvinh Harris, people are fans of Calving Harris and most would have no idea who Adam Wiles is.

+Quote Post
jakewild
post Apr 16 2019, 04:06 PM
Post #5
not 152chris (☻‿☻)
Member No.: 2,790
   No Gallery Pics

never knew

tho it's defo better than adam wiles

+Quote Post
Klaus
post Apr 16 2019, 05:26 PM
Post #6
i thought i was flying but maybe im dying tonight
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 17,160
   No Gallery Pics

it was probs around the Ready for the Weekend era that I found out but I always forget, especially when this happened!:

+Quote Post
Wall
post Apr 16 2019, 06:16 PM
Post #7
🙄
Group: AF Inner Circle
Member No.: 10,643

Why didn’t I know this?

+Quote Post
Klimawechsel
post Apr 16 2019, 06:19 PM
Post #8
was my left boob too... right?
Member No.: 11,421

I think he's gone too far with 'Calvin Harris' to return his actual name! Reminds me of what old people say doing stupid stuff when you're young as you might regret it in the future!

Also quite surprised a number of you guys didn't know - I know it's not common knowledge but I thought people who are into music would know at least.

+Quote Post
Jade
post Apr 16 2019, 06:43 PM
Post #9
Mrs Brayden Smith <333
Group: Buzzjack's Sweetheart
Member No.: 12,810

QUOTE(Klaus @ Apr 16 2019, 06:26 PM) *
it was probs around the Ready for the Weekend era that I found out but I always forget, especially when this happened!:

Taylor's impact, I only found out his real name a few years ago when I saw a picture she'd posted with their initials written into sand on a beach!

+Quote Post
Jonjo
post Apr 16 2019, 08:55 PM
Post #10
(-_•)
Group: Genre Mod
Member No.: 5,042

I think it's very silly of him to just assume people would know his name?! laugh.gif

+Quote Post
lewistgreen
post Apr 16 2019, 10:05 PM
Post #11
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 19,585

+Quote Post
WhoOdyssey
post Apr 17 2019, 12:08 PM
Post #12
Hey now, you're an all star
Member No.: 67,771
   No Gallery Pics

Maybe he's talking about his team and people he works with, that would know his real name?

+Quote Post
HarryEzra
post Apr 17 2019, 05:44 PM
Post #13
Took a DNA test, turns out I'm a 100% that bitch!
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 20,835

I knew Calvin Harris was a stage name but I do tend to forget most of the time.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd September 2019 - 09:03 PM