BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Next Lib Dem Leader
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Who should be the next Lib Dem leader?
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total votes: 26
Guests cannot vote 
Brett-Butler
post Dec 15 2019, 04:04 PM
Post #1
Group icon
Howdy, disco citizens
User: 10,455
It's probably a lot less of a concern than the hunt for a new Labour Party leader, but with Jo Swinson's defeat, there is a vacancy for a new leader of the Liberal Democrats. With the requirement of the new leader to be an MP, there are only a maximum of 11 potential people who could take on the mantle.

So who do you think should be the new leader of the Lib Dems, and who do you think will get the nod? At this point, they've absolutely nothing to lose by making Tim Farron leader again...
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
crazy chris
post Dec 15 2019, 04:07 PM
Post #2
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 53
Voted Ed Davey. Surely it'll be him or Layla. Never heard of Wera!

+Quote this post
Brer
post Dec 15 2019, 04:10 PM
Post #3
Group icon
I'll just stick around and do some more damage
User: 8,300
Hobhouse was briefly my local MP during the latter end of being at uni. Supporting her for that reason alone. x

They should really consider changing the rule requiring the leader to be an MP, it's very slim pickings these days...

+Quote this post
Suedehead2
post Dec 15 2019, 04:41 PM
Post #4
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 3,272
QUOTE(Michael Bubré @ Dec 15 2019, 04:10 PM) *
Hobhouse was briefly my local MP during the latter end of being at uni. Supporting her for that reason alone. x

They should really consider changing the rule requiring the leader to be an MP, it's very slim pickings these days...

It was considered earlier this year - and rejected. I think it may be possible for a member of the Lords to be leader but I haven’t checked. Sal Brinton is one of the two current interim co-leaders. She would be an interesting choice although Labour would attack her for being the daughter of a former Tory MP. If she became leader, the parliamentary party would presumably choose someone to lead the party in the Commons.

My current preference would be Layla Moran. Do any of our Scottish members know the law on domestic violence north of the border? Moran and her then partner were arrested some years ago as a result of a row they were having. My understanding is that they would not have been arrested in England. My specific question is whether Johnson would have been arrested if his row with his current girlfriend had happened in Scotland.

+Quote this post
crazy chris
post Dec 15 2019, 04:42 PM
Post #5
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
QUOTE(Michael Bubré @ Dec 15 2019, 04:10 PM) *

No I don't agree unless they lose even more seats. How would he or she ask any questions to the PM at PMQ's?

+Quote this post
Brer
post Dec 15 2019, 04:51 PM
Post #6
Group icon
I'll just stick around and do some more damage
User: 8,300
QUOTE(Crazy Chris-tmas @ Dec 15 2019, 04:42 PM) *
No I don't agree unless they lose even more seats. How would he or she ask any questions to the PM at PMQ's?

The same way as the SNP do. They could still have a Commons leader.

+Quote this post
Suedehead2
post Dec 15 2019, 05:05 PM
Post #7
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
QUOTE(Suedehead2 @ Dec 15 2019, 04:41 PM) *
It was considered earlier this year - and rejected. I think it may be possible for a member of the Lords to be leader but I haven’t checked. Sal Brinton is one of the two current interim co-leaders. She would be an interesting choice although Labour would attack her for being the daughter of a former Tory MP. If she became leader, the parliamentary party would presumably choose someone to lead the party in the Commons.

My current preference would be Layla Moran. Do any of our Scottish members know the law on domestic violence north of the border? Moran and her then partner were arrested some years ago as a result of a row they were having. My understanding is that they would not have been arrested in England. My specific question is whether Johnson would have been arrested if his row with his current girlfriend had happened in Scotland.

I've checked the constitution now.

The leader DOES have to be an MP. The constitution also states that the deputy leader (Ed Davey) and party president (Sal Brinton) automatically become interim co-leaders if the leader resigns.

+Quote this post
Steve201
post Dec 15 2019, 05:44 PM
Post #8
Group icon
Shakin Stevens
User: 5,138
I picked Layla Moran myself but hope they stay with a low vote share for the foreeeable.

+Quote this post
crazy chris
post Dec 15 2019, 06:10 PM
Post #9
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
QUOTE(Michael Bubré @ Dec 15 2019, 04:51 PM) *
The same way as the SNP do. They could still have a Commons leader.

Oh yes, forgot that.

+Quote this post
crazy chris
post Dec 15 2019, 06:12 PM
Post #10
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

A lot of people were saying that the leader/PM bounce would save Boris but the leader bounce couldn't save Jo could it. Strange that.

+Quote this post
Steve201
post Dec 15 2019, 06:12 PM
Post #11
Group icon
Shakin Stevens
User: 5,138
It's not that strange because Scotland is a different political landscape and the snp were pushing hard throughout the country.

+Quote this post
Doctor Blind
post Dec 15 2019, 06:19 PM
Post #12
Group icon
#38BBE0 otherwise known as 'sky blue'
User: 7,561
What a SHAME it won't be Chuka Umunna, and after all the hours of coverage that he had during the election campaign giving his incredible insightful and valuable opinion at us every minute of every hour 24/7. I'm totally devastated about his loss in Westminster, so was he- he didn't bother to turn up for the count.

Anyway, my pick would be Layla Moran. I think surely Ed Davey has too much baggage anyway (association with the coalition etc.)

+Quote this post
Suedehead2
post Dec 15 2019, 06:20 PM
Post #13
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
QUOTE(Crazy Chris-tmas @ Dec 15 2019, 06:12 PM) *
A lot of people were saying that the leader/PM bounce would save Boris but the leader bounce couldn't save Jo could it. Strange that.

None of the party leaders seemed to benefit from that this year.

+Quote this post
Suedehead2
post Dec 15 2019, 06:21 PM
Post #14
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
QUOTE(Doctor Blind @ Dec 15 2019, 06:19 PM) *
What a SHAME it won't be Chuka Umunna, and after all the hours of coverage that he had during the election campaign giving his incredible insightful and valuable opinion at us every minute of every hour 24/7. I'm totally devastated about his loss in Westminster, so was he- he didn't bother to turn up for the count.

Anyway, my pick would be Layla Moran. I think surely Ed Davey has too much baggage anyway (association with the coalition etc.)

Eh? Most television coverage barely even mentioned the existence of any party other than Labour or Tory. Even the usual love-in with Farage wasn't as bad as normal

+Quote this post
crazy chris
post Dec 15 2019, 06:23 PM
Post #15
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
QUOTE(Doctor Blind @ Dec 15 2019, 06:19 PM) *

Am not sure Chukka would have got it even if he'd kept his seat. Why should someone who's just defected from another party only weeks ago be leader when others have put a lifetime of work in to the party? Am sure others would think the same.

+Quote this post
Doctor Blind
post Dec 15 2019, 06:24 PM
Post #16
Group icon
#38BBE0 otherwise known as 'sky blue'
User: 7,561
QUOTE(Suedehead2 @ Dec 15 2019, 06:21 PM) *
Eh? Most television coverage barely even mentioned the existence of any party other than Labour or Tory. Even the usual love-in with Farage wasn't as bad as normal

I'm not disputing that, I'm just saying it felt like Chuka Umunna was always on this past year - not that he really cared what party he was in at the time (or could remember even). Just talking about himself mostly!

+Quote this post
crazy chris
post Dec 15 2019, 06:28 PM
Post #17
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
QUOTE(Doctor Blind @ Dec 15 2019, 06:24 PM) *
I'm not disputing that, I'm just saying it felt like Chuka Umunna was always on this past year - not that he really cared what party he was in at the time (or could remember even). Just talking about himself mostly!

The Dr. is right. Chukka's been on the box a lot over the past few months.Turning up everywhere. Bet he never turned down an invitation.

+Quote this post
crazy chris
post Dec 15 2019, 06:33 PM
Post #18
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
By the way, was Swinson the shortest serving leader of any of the three main parties? I can't think of anyone serving less in recent times.

+Quote this post
Suedehead2
post Jan 3 2020, 11:14 AM
Post #19
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
Layla Moran has announced that she is in a relationship with another woman. This seems to be a case of getting the story out on her own terms before she announces her leadership bid.

+Quote this post
Silas
post Jan 6 2020, 08:37 PM
Post #20
Group icon
Queen of Soon
User: 3,474
QUOTE(Suedehead2 @ Dec 15 2019, 05:41 PM) *
Do any of our Scottish members know the law on domestic violence north of the border? Moran and her then partner were arrested some years ago as a result of a row they were having. My understanding is that they would not have been arrested in England. My specific question is whether Johnson would have been arrested if his row with his current girlfriend had happened in Scotland.

Under the truly wonderful new Domestic Abuse law, potentially. However I think it’s more likely that he would have been, and Moran & Partner, arrested for Breach of the Peace which unlike in the rest of the UK is a criminal offence in Scotland that people are in court every day for.

Some info on our fab new domestic abuse law below

https://www.scottishwomensrightscentre.org....stic-abuse-law/

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-42890990

QUOTE(Suedehead2 @ Jan 3 2020, 12:14 PM) *
Layla Moran has announced that she is in a relationship with another woman. This seems to be a case of getting the story out on her own terms before she announces her leadership bid.

Indeed! She came out as Pansexual, it’s be fantastic to see a pan leader of a mainstream political party.

+Quote this post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 users are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 08:37 PM