BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Are Little Mix a local act now?
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
shadow2009
post 7th June 2020, 04:45 PM
Post #1
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 10,059

America obviously hasn't worked out for them and I can't see them bothering going back there now that they're almost nine years into their career and it never happened with their imperial phase, but have they lost their support in other countries? I remember a few singles being quite big in Australia but it's been a while since they had a hit there and I just read in another thread they had to cancel one of the tour dates for low ticket sales. Looking at their discography on Wikipedia I don't think anything since Woman Like Me even charted outside the UK.

It would be a shame if they just became a UK exclusive act (it was really exciting seeing them perform at the EMA's for example) but at the same time they've worked hard enough and maybe they're at a point where they'll want an easier schedule now?
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
lewistgreen
post 7th June 2020, 04:53 PM
Post #2
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
Pronouns: he/him
User: 19,585

3 Top 100 singles and a couple of Bubblin Under singles isn’t anything to be sniffed at the US, considering it’s notoriously difficult for acts outside America to crack it. They do have very mild success in the likes of Canada and Australia too but they’ll always do better here in comparison on the charts.
However, from a tour and fanbase perspective they’re huge worldwide

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post 7th June 2020, 04:56 PM
Post #3
Group icon
I found the love, I found the love in me
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 5,042

I think so. I still think if they have the right song, then it could blow up in other countries but more naturally. I don't think they'll do any extensive promo overseas anymore - unless they suddenly went top 40 on Billboard or something. However, a couple of festivals/small tours abroad wouldn't hurt them. After the success of their appearance in Brazil, I'll be surprised if they don't perform there again in some form of capacity again.

I'm fine with them being "a local act" now. Very, VERY few acts maintain levels of success outside of their home countries after a while anyway and at least it's happened for them (getting hits all over Europe and Australia etc.. having successful tours and all that jazz, some hits in the US with good album results) whilst so many manufactured acts that are similar to them would love to have even a third of that. They've been going strong for 9 years now, without a proper break/hiatus or line up change etc.. they have defied the odds of not only pop groups but talent show winners. So if they want that lighter schedule, I'd say it's earnt for them wub.gif

+Quote this post
caseclosed
post 7th June 2020, 05:03 PM
Post #4
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 23,311

Chart wise, yes, but they still maintain a very stable fanbase in various countries, which showed by their appearance in Sao Paulo earlier this year. They should still tour outside of the UK even if they need to reduce the venues. I feel like nowadays the internet has made it possible for some acts to have a faithful international fanbase even if they don’t find chart success abroad and that’s the case with the girls. If they were smarter they’d capitalise more on that. Had they come to Latin America earlier they could’ve expanded their fanbase here with promo, which leads to more streams globally and hence more stability on streaming platforms. Brazil, for example, is one of fhe biggest Spotify markets.

Anyway, they are when we look at the charts but they can still tour abroad in various countries so not quite local.

+Quote this post
Frenchie
post 7th June 2020, 05:08 PM
Post #5
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
Pronouns: he/him
User: 72,030

I think they could see success outside the Uk with the right songs. Although I think they should focus on the UK right now as they could be at risk of losing their popularity here.

+Quote this post
Dexton
post 7th June 2020, 05:20 PM
Post #6
Group icon
rip in peace Dickston
User: 25,045

The thing with Little Mix in Australia is they don't actually have many fans. In the UK they have a big fanbase and even outside of their following the public do generally know of them either through X Factor or just frequent promo. Whereas over here they were literally just introduced as "female One Direction" when 'Wings' was released and then had the occasional fluke hit when songs were pushed hard enough onto people. 2016 was a great year for them as they basically had single after single (helped initially by Jason Derulo being a popular name here too) but then 'Touch' struggled to become much more than a radio hit in early 2017 and after that their support just fizzled. 'No More Sad Songs' wasn't embraced by radio or streaming playlists so didn't chart and it was incredibly unlikely for Stormzy to have any impact either when it came to 'Power'.

+Quote this post
Jordanlee
post 7th June 2020, 05:24 PM
Post #7
Group icon
Jord
User: 27,116

I’d say they’ve always kind of been local.... I think their WW success was sort of exaggerated but here in the UK they will always have some form of fan base and will easily be able to get sell out tours.

They also still have support singles wise now too. Break Up Song seems to be their most popular hit in a while here it’s longevity has been impressive.

+Quote this post
Andrew.
post 7th June 2020, 05:30 PM
Post #8
Group icon
is in hibernation
User: 21,161

They're closer to Girls Aloud/The Saturdays then PCD/Spice Girls in terms of international success, although they've had more than the first two obvs. It does feel like their team sort of gave up tbh

+Quote this post
Dexton
post 7th June 2020, 05:38 PM
Post #9
Group icon
rip in peace Dickston

The Saturdays were anything but an international group laugh.gif Girls Aloud had a few middling hits outside the UK from their first album but faded away afterwards too

+Quote this post
Andrew.
post 7th June 2020, 05:43 PM
Post #10
Group icon
is in hibernation

QUOTE(Dexton @ Jun 7 2020, 06:38 PM) *
The Saturdays were anything but an international group laugh.gif Girls Aloud had a few middling hits outside the UK from their first album but faded away afterwards too

I know, I meant NOW they're closer to them than the international success of PCD and Spice Girls. Although All Fired Up should've gone #1 everywhere tbh sad.gif Obviously in their first four eras that wasn't the case.

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post 7th June 2020, 05:48 PM
Post #11
Group icon

QUOTE(Dexton @ Jun 7 2020, 06:20 PM) *
The thing with Little Mix in Australia is they don't actually have many fans. In the UK they have a big fanbase and even outside of their following the public do generally know of them either through X Factor or just frequent promo. Whereas over here they were literally just introduced as "female One Direction" when 'Wings' was released and then had the occasional fluke hit when songs were pushed hard enough onto people. 2016 was a great year for them as they basically had single after single (helped initially by Jason Derulo being a popular name here too) but then 'Touch' struggled to become much more than a radio hit in early 2017 and after that their support just fizzled. 'No More Sad Songs' wasn't embraced by radio or streaming playlists so didn't chart and it was incredibly unlikely for Stormzy to have any impact either when it came to 'Power'.
This is interesting to read (mainly coz it feels genuine coming from somewhere who lives there and it isn't just someone trying to take a dig and downplay their success), so thank you for this! I always forget 'Touch' wasn't huge everywhere tbh. Because it just feels like it is the sort of WW smash that every country latched on to.

+Quote this post
J00prstar
post 7th June 2020, 05:48 PM
Post #12
Group icon
there's nothing straight about plump Elvis
Pronouns: they/any
User: 22,895

Looking back I'm always surprised with how well PCD did given that they were only by the flimsiest of definitions a girl group at all & they had none of the usual associated elements (friendship, feminism, generic bad bitch anthems...). I guess they had a lot of tabloid drama? I never followed them particularly closely bc they left me pretty cold.

As for LM their biggest base has always been the UK, no? I feel like they're a pretty big internet group too tho. Their videos always have tons of views & reaction videos etc.

+Quote this post
Andrew.
post 7th June 2020, 05:50 PM
Post #13
Group icon
is in hibernation

QUOTE(Dexton @ Jun 7 2020, 06:20 PM) *

So they're sort of like Fifth Harmony in the UK?

+Quote this post
blacksquare
post 7th June 2020, 05:50 PM
Post #14
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 23,471

QUOTE(Dexton @ Jun 7 2020, 06:38 PM) *
The Saturdays were anything but an international group laugh.gif

They were barely a local group either

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post 7th June 2020, 05:52 PM
Post #15
Group icon

QUOTE(blacksquare @ Jun 7 2020, 06:50 PM) *

!

Behave :')

+Quote this post
Mr. C. Joel
post 7th June 2020, 05:52 PM
Post #16
Group icon
What doesn't kill you makes you stronger.
User: 7,475

I think the worldwide dream is well and truly over. They used to have a much bigger impact in general worldwide in terms of songs (streaming, video views etc).

Take the BUS video it's views are shocking not even at 5M whereas most other songs have maintained good numbers..

Same with Spotify it's numbers daily are pretty rubbish outside the UK not even 100k most days..

Definitely have dwindled but I agree with some of the above comments they need to focus hard on the UK in maintaining relevant with BUS has done.

Some international features might help, Nicki did give them some more exposure at least on playlists etc..

+Quote this post
Andrew.
post 7th June 2020, 05:53 PM
Post #17
Group icon
is in hibernation

QUOTE(blacksquare @ Jun 7 2020, 06:50 PM) *

We stan barely-local groups that get 13 top 10 hits xx

(kink.gif)

+Quote this post
Dexton
post 7th June 2020, 06:01 PM
Post #18
Group icon
rip in peace Dickston

QUOTE(Jonjo @ Jun 8 2020, 01:48 AM) *
This is interesting to read (mainly coz it feels genuine coming from somewhere who lives there and it isn't just someone trying to take a dig and downplay their success), so thank you for this! I always forget 'Touch' wasn't huge everywhere tbh. Because it just feels like it is the sort of WW smash that every country latched on to.

Don't get me wrong 'Touch' was popular here but it didn't connect with people at all like 'Shout Out To My Ex' did, in fact even now I think most people would remember SOTME a hell of a lot more than they do 'Touch'. It would likely be dismissed as "oh i think I've heard that on the radio before" but never gave it a second thought

QUOTE(What @ Jun 8 2020, 01:50 AM) *
So they're sort of like Fifth Harmony in the UK?

I suppose in a way, but then some of their songs did chart better here than elsewhere much like some charted better in the UK than in the US:

Boss: #43 US, #101+ AUS, #21 UK
Sledgehammer: #40 US, #88 AUS, #101+ UK
Worth It: #12 US, #9 AUS, #3 UK
Work From Home: #4 UK, #3 AUS, #2 UK
All In My Head (Flex): #24 US, #19 AUS, #25 UK
That's My Girl: #73 US, #54 AUS, #26 UK
Down: #42 US, #66 AUS, #47 UK

In terms of their Top 40 singles Sledgehammer is the only one which charted better in the US.. at #40 laugh.gif Obviously chart peaks aren't everything but I did assume they were a consistent hit making group that had more than just one Top 10 hit

+Quote this post
Padamic Tension
post 7th June 2020, 07:37 PM
Post #19
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
User: 845

QUOTE(Frenchie @ Jun 7 2020, 06:08 PM) *
I think they could see success outside the Uk with the right songs. Although I think they should focus on the UK right now as they could be at risk of losing their popularity here.

I think the same, so many acts make the mistake of chasing success abroad and in the process forget about the market they are big in and end up losing that aswell.

+Quote this post
post 8th June 2020, 10:48 AM
Post #20
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 19,931

They aren't being pushed outside the UK anymore, so sadly, yes. It's a shame because they've had some big hits in Australia. Shout Out and Wings in particular were massive there.

This post has been edited by 365: 8th June 2020, 10:50 AM

+Quote this post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 26th April 2024, 03:27 AM