BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Which game genres are underused?
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Iz 🌟
post Jan 14 2019, 11:29 AM
Post #1
I'm a paragon so don't perceive me
Group: Admin.
Member No.: 12,929
   No Gallery Pics

Having been sent on a bout of real-time strategy gaming recently, reliving some older game missions, I've been struck with the realisation that I know of barely any new RTS games that have been popular at all lately. The genre seems to have died a death. This is quite unfortunate for me as I know that one of my favourite things to do in gaming is go through a RTS campaign, slowly gain access to more and more units with special abilities, and deal with a wide variety of levels with different objectives and I've played pretty much all the ones I've got too much.

With the recent focus on Battle Royale in gaming, I'm sure many other genres are falling by the wayside a bit. What genres in gaming aren't there enough of right now for you?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Dircadirca
post Jan 14 2019, 12:32 PM
Post #2
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Group: Members
Member No.: 19,614
   No Gallery Pics

Something I find peculiar is the way the gaming industry reacts to a rising trend. You see it in music where heaps of artists will be promoted to some level of success in the wake of a similar artist, but that works because it gives people more to latch onto in the style of the new artist they like, and that new artist might only have 30 minutes or even less material on their own. Whenever a certain game hits it big, it's often the sort of multiplayer game that commands non-stop attention by design, be it World Of Warcraft, Call Of Duty or Fortnite. All these imitators are rushed out and promptly fail because the first game people latched onto has everything they need. Hardly anyone is going to get into a 2nd MMORPG at the same time, and certainly it's an uphill battle for a new Battle Royale game when Fortnite has the unbeatable price point of $0.

In spite of this I wonder if the MOBA market has swallowed RTS's, I'm not super familiar with LoL and the like but perhaps it's a fresher, more exciting gameplay loop for many people rather than gathering & spending resources most efficiently.

I don't actually have a good answer to the question. I feel like if there's a genre I'm interested in, there's probably something unplayed in my Steam library to cover it. I would like to see 3D platformers with a bit more precision and difficulty. A Hat In Time's recent DLC was brutally unfair at times but it scratched an itch that you usually only get from the 2D counterparts.

+Quote Post
Iz 🌟
post Jan 14 2019, 01:29 PM
Post #3
   No Gallery Pics

Aye, Fortnite and its imitators are the current huge topic in gaming, everyone trend-chases and it always fails for the reasons you state.

I myself have never played WOW, ever. Even at its height. The main reason? I was completely satisfied in the realm of MMORPGs with Runescape, and that one's price point and certain style of gameplay always appealed to me more. But that's the thing, most people can only devote themselves to one big game at one time, and whatever game it is sometimes even blocks out all of the conversation beyond genres.

Like, I hadn't thought about MOBAs being harmful to the RTS scene, I've only ever played multiplayer for that genre sparingly and the lack of resource management and army construction has made me wary of picking up MOBAs, would feel too much like top-down action. And while I can resource and area manage pretty well, you introduce tactical reaction times into it and suddenly I'm a lot less confident in my skills.

Also likewise with the Steam library, I'm sure I have some of every genre that I haven't played (albeit not big budget games), but having a backlog and not knowing off by heart what genre each anonymous part of the backlog is makes it a little difficult. I suppose another thing I could use more of is games where you just construct stuff. I enjoy Cities: Skylines, but one thing that game is missing is scenarios challenging you to design a city in a certain way. Perhaps what I am missing most is new imaginatively designed levels and scenarios for these types of games.

+Quote Post
Dircadirca
post Jan 14 2019, 03:59 PM
Post #4
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 19,614
   No Gallery Pics

It's interesting to think about. StarCraft & League Of Legends both operate on totally different systems, but a casual viewer could just see them as two games where two sides send out armies to destroy each other, effectively the same thing. Putting more thought into it, it does strike me as a more appealing streamlining of the RTS system. My favourite RTS growing up was Warlords Battlecry II, which weaved in an RPG element with a hero which you level up. Depending on the way you develop him or her, they can end up being your star troop, and battles can involve spell casting not unlike League. The hero system makes for an enticing way to spice up head to head gameplay. Or maybe it's just more exciting for viewers when most of the rapid clicking/decision making happens in the midst of combat. I feel like a complete outsider though whenever I see League because there's too much going on.

What you've said reminds me that there's a certain intangible appeal to specifically created challenges like that. On a more grand scale of city building, I'm reminded of how Civ V had specific scenarios where you're thrust into a situation with the goal of accomplishing some task, which encourages a certain amount of creativity since you won't necessarily be able to do whatever it is you normally do. Either way it's a nice change of pace from always starting from scratch in a similar way (slight differences based on your nation/geography, but generally the same thing). Unless I'm blind as a bat or it was in the expansion which I don't have, I don't think Civ VI had them which disappointed me.

This post has been edited by Dircadirca: Jan 14 2019, 03:59 PM

+Quote Post
enrorp
post Jan 31 2019, 06:44 PM
Post #5
New Entry
Member No.: 81,193
   No Gallery Pics

Ive had my PS Vita for a while and Ive tended to use it primarily to play Football Manager classic which game with the console but to use it as another form to use the internet/Twitter etc.

Ive played some games with it, primarily sports such as tennis and FIFA 15 but feel like a new game to play.

I think theres a Batman/Spiderman game on this format but not sure how good they are, other than that a shooter might be an enjoyable time spend.

Any recommendations please.

+Quote Post
Last Dreamer
post Feb 1 2019, 08:30 AM
Post #6
With Kristina in heart
Member No.: 28,104
   No Gallery Pics

Yes, Iz.
RTS is dead genre now. Only Warcraft 3 remake was announced, but it's Blizzard with their "when it's done" release date. laugh.gif
My personal favourite was Red Alert 3. Soviet bears. wub.gif

Always dying in last 20 years quests (point-and-click adventures) must be mentioned. Such lovely true PC genre (even if some modern games and remakes of classic were released on PS 4).
Mostly only Daedalic Entertainment (Germany) and Pendulo Studios (Spain) had the interest in these type of games in this decade.

This post has been edited by Good Old Days: Feb 1 2019, 08:35 AM

+Quote Post
Harve
post Feb 1 2019, 11:13 AM
Post #7
Cœur poids plume
Member No.: 4,718
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Iz~ @ Jan 14 2019, 02:29 PM) *
Like, I hadn't thought about MOBAs being harmful to the RTS scene, I've only ever played multiplayer for that genre sparingly and the lack of resource management and army construction has made me wary of picking up MOBAs, would feel too much like top-down action. And while I can resource and area manage pretty well, you introduce tactical reaction times into it and suddenly I'm a lot less confident in my skills.

I mean are RTS's not hugely dependent on APM? (I'm thinking of Starcraft II especially) That's what puts me off RTS games - there's a lot of strategy behind them but you also have to maintain a high APM, which is just manual dexterity - that's just not an interesting benchmark for me? Like I remember playing Age of Empires way back when and it was frustrating that a barrier to improvement was not being able to monitor everything that's going on or carry out actions in sufficient amount of time, when I'd prefer to be worrying about over having the right strategy, such as in turn-based games.

League isn't the deepest game I've played, but you can focus on strategy without worrying about the way you use your mouse. I like the challenge of having to process a lot of information and make split-second reactions without it feeling too mechanical. I think the comments about MOBAs crowding out RTS games were perhaps valid 5 years ago but now they're being crowded out themselves by Battle Royale games.

Anyway we need more 3D platformers.

+Quote Post
Iz 🌟
post Feb 1 2019, 12:19 PM
Post #8
   No Gallery Pics

RTS' do somewhat need a high APM in that you should be constantly doing something (seems obvious but the nature of it means I find it tempting to stop doing anything - this might be why I don't play that much multiplayer), but I compare that to other multiplayer games where an APM mistake gets a character of yours killed, while I can flub a build order and still recover in an RTS. It might be partly psychological stage performance on my part in Battle Royale/FPS/RPG PvP. Plus with most RTS' as long as you are constantly expanding your area of control in the early stage of the game and disrupting your opponent if possible, you can make a play for the win quite early while there's still not much to control, while adapting your strategy depending on your opponent's reaction if that fails.

Although to be perfectly honest I'm with you on turn-based games in multi. Much more relaxing and strategical skill-testing. My main love for RTS's comes about because they tend to make for great singleplayer experiences.

+Quote Post
Liаm
post Feb 1 2019, 04:40 PM
Post #9
Brown cow, stunning!
Member No.: 10,139

3D platformers sad.gif

I know we've got more than enough old ones, but being the main genre I grew up on that got me into gaming it's a shame that as I'm more into gaming than ever there's very very few other than kind of hollow indie ones where their heart's in the right place but they just don't feel the same as they used to. We used to get such an onslaught, there'd be a C-grade 3D platformer for every movie it felt like, but now we just don't get any from the big studios.

+Quote Post
Sempachorra
post Apr 13 2019, 06:53 PM
Post #10
Let's Go Brandon
Member No.: 421

Racing games and fighting games are a bit underrated.

+Quote Post
TheSnake
post Apr 13 2019, 08:16 PM
Post #11
Say that hiss with your chest, and...
Group: Memberrs
Member No.: 23,308
   No Gallery Pics

Historical open world role playing games.

Most of them tend to be fantasy.

+Quote Post
Iz 🌟
post Apr 13 2019, 11:55 PM
Post #12
   No Gallery Pics

what are you saying? historical doesn't equal fantasy.

and if they have fantastical elements then that's just equivalent to GTA or Watch Dogs or Just Cause but in history.

+Quote Post
TheSnake
post Apr 14 2019, 12:27 PM
Post #13
   No Gallery Pics

What I am saying is that most RPG games with a medieval theme seem to be based in fantasy lands often with magic, Assassins Creed is an exception.

This post has been edited by TheSnake: Apr 14 2019, 12:28 PM

+Quote Post
Iz 🌟
post Apr 14 2019, 01:10 PM
Post #14
   No Gallery Pics

Kingdom Come: Deliverance was one of the biggest games of last year! It's on my list of things to get around to but I rarely play open-world games, but that sounds exactly like the sort of thing you're describing.

+Quote Post
TheSnake
post Apr 14 2019, 01:22 PM
Post #15
   No Gallery Pics

Oh I think I saw that one on steam - based in the Holy Roman Empire.

+Quote Post
natelivliv
post May 18 2019, 04:30 PM
Post #16
New Entry
Member No.: 81,401
   No Gallery Pics

I think a steampunk game would be very cool! Even WoW has some things that could be components (the engineering mounts, ulduar type raid environments, most other engineering items xD, goblin and gnome areas)

Bluestacks Kodi Lucky Patcher

This post has been edited by natelivliv: May 19 2019, 01:51 PM

+Quote Post
Envoirment
post Jun 12 2019, 11:09 PM
Post #17
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 10,030
   No Gallery Pics

RTS is definitley lacking sad.gif I love the Command and Conquer & Age of Empire series, as well as Halo wars (pretty sure that's my most played game on Xbox 360 by far laugh.gif ). I never did get into Starcraft.

I also feel that a challenging city builder has been lacking. Cities: skyline is great (exceptional even), but quite easy. The same with Sim City 4 and a whole host of others that have been release the last few years or so. I'd love a challenging campaign mode trying to fix a broken city.

+Quote Post
Harve
post Jun 13 2019, 10:13 PM
Post #18
Cœur poids plume
Member No.: 4,718
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Envoirment @ Jun 13 2019, 12:09 AM) *
RTS is definitley lacking sad.gif I love the Command and Conquer & Age of Empire series, as well as Halo wars (pretty sure that's my most played game on Xbox 360 by far laugh.gif ). I never did get into Starcraft.

I also feel that a challenging city builder has been lacking. Cities: skyline is great (exceptional even), but quite easy. The same with Sim City 4 and a whole host of others that have been release the last few years or so. I'd love a challenging campaign mode trying to fix a broken city.

Yeah management-focussed simulations have been a little thin on the ground whereas there are lots of ambitious sandbox games that focus more on creativity. I think in some ways they're more challenging for game developers to get right and balance than sandbox-style games.

I haven't tried Anno 1800 but that could be what you're looking for.

This post has been edited by Harve: Jun 13 2019, 10:13 PM

+Quote Post
*Tim
post Jun 13 2019, 11:54 PM
Post #19
Bitch of t seet
Member No.: 16,660

QUOTE(Harve @ Jun 13 2019, 10:13 PM) *
Yeah management-focussed simulations have been a little thin on the ground whereas there are lots of ambitious sandbox games that focus more on creativity. I think in some ways they're more challenging for game developers to get right and balance than sandbox-style games.

I haven't tried Anno 1800 but that could be what you're looking for.

I have been stanning Anno 1404 for years now. It's so good. Haven't tried 1800 either cause my current laptop can't run them sad.gif

+Quote Post
Iz 🌟
post Jun 14 2019, 01:26 AM
Post #20
   No Gallery Pics

Some good scenarios for Cities:Skylines would help, I rarely feel challenged there unless I overextend. I've heard good things about the Anno games but didn't realise they were management games at all. That sounds really interesting.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 08:47 AM