BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> His Dark Materials, BBC One | Developing Phillip Pullman's successful books
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Klaus
post Nov 4 2015, 12:24 AM
Post #1
Group icon
❤️❤️➕🟦
User: 17,160

QUOTE(Digital Spy)
Time to get excited: BBC One is to adapt Philip Pullman's epic fantasy trilogy of novels His Dark Materials into a new series. The ambitious project will be produced by Bad Wolf and New Line Cinema, and will be filmed in Wales. Broadcast dates have yet to be announced.

His Dark Materials consists of Northern Lights (1995, The Golden Compass in America), The Subtle Knife (1997) and The Amber Spyglass (2000). The series follows two children, Lyra Belacqua and Will Parry, as they travel through various parallel universes and meet a host of fantastical creatures including witches and armoured polar bears. It has drawn criticism for its negative portrayal of Christianity and other religions.

Pullman said: "It's been a constant source of pleasure to me to see this story adapted to different forms and presented in different media. It's been a radio play, a stage play, a film, an audiobook, a graphic novel - and now comes this version for television. "In recent years we've seen how long stories on television, whether adaptations (Game of Thrones) or original (The Sopranos, The Wire), can reach depths of characterisation and heights of suspense by taking the time for events to make their proper impact and for consequences to unravel.

"And the sheer talent now working in the world of long-form television is formidable. For all those reasons I'm delighted at the prospect of a television version of His Dark Materials. I'm especially pleased at the involvement of Jane Tranter, whose experience, imagination and drive are second to none. As for the BBC, it has no stronger supporter than me. I couldn't be more pleased with this news."

Nicholas Hytner previously made a stage production of His Dark Materials for the National Theatre in 2003 to 2004. Two years later, a film adaptation of the first book titled The Golden Compass starred Nicole Kidman, Daniel Craig and Dakota Blue Richards as Lyra. Sequels made from the second and third books in the series were shelved due to the disappointing financial performance of the film and the worldwide recession following the banking crisis.

Are/were you a fan of the books and so are you excited for this new BBC TV series? How did you like the film, 'The Golden Compass' and do you wish they'd made the full trilogy or do you think it will work better on television?
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
post Nov 4 2015, 09:03 AM
Post #2
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 19,931
YES! I was always annoyed the film series didn't finish, even though the first wasn't great. I love the books.

+Quote this post
richie
post Nov 4 2015, 09:13 AM
Post #3
Group icon
Poet and Storyteller
User: 166
The film wasn't bad and it would have been nice for them to make the other two. But, with child actors you have to act fast and it would have made more sense to make all three back to back a la Peter Jackson - guess the money wasn't there to do that.

A long TV series is what is needed - Six 60 minute episodes per book would be nice. The question is when to show it? The Dr Who slot would make sense rather than 9pm on a Sunday (which hampered the viewing figures of the excellent Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell) or they could break from the current weird "prime-time" setup and stick it on a weekday at 8pm.

+Quote this post
Klaus
post Sep 9 2018, 12:00 PM
Post #4
Group icon
❤️❤️➕🟦
This seems to be taking some time! laugh.gif

Earlier this year though there were some cast announcements: Dafne Keen (Logan) as Lyra Belacqua, Ruth Wilson (Luther) as Marisa Coulter, James McAvoy as Lord Asriel, Lin-Manuel Miranda (Hamilton) as Lee Scoresby and Clarke Peters (The Wire) as the Master of Jordan College.

+Quote this post
Botchia
post Sep 9 2018, 09:05 PM
Post #5
Group icon
I Drink Wine
User: 21,753
I'm not surprised it's taking a while. It sounds like it's going to be an expensive event drama, so hopefully they'll be taking their time to make sure it's well done!

+Quote this post
Botchia
post Feb 24 2019, 10:56 PM
Post #6
Group icon
I Drink Wine
User: 21,753

It looks so good *.*

+Quote this post
spiceboy
post Feb 26 2019, 12:35 PM
Post #7
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 39,568
I am really looking forwards to this. I love the books (the second and third one are fantastic, the first takes some getting into). Was really annoyed they didn't do the follow up films as I quite liked The Golden Compass don't get why it didn't do well at the box office? Nicole Kidman and Daniel Craig were great casting, such a shame it never got completed.

+Quote this post
McAndrew
post Feb 27 2019, 08:43 PM
Post #8
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 39,551
Very excited by the prospect of this adaptation. Completely in love with the books. The first was actually my favourite.

I think the film did a fair job too. Visually, it was superb. And the soundtrack was incredible.

But if I remember correctly, the film downplayed the religious theme, opting for a political analogy. Hopefully the BBC will be more faithful to the books in that respect.

+Quote this post
dandy*
post Feb 27 2019, 08:46 PM
Post #9
Group icon
Mansonette
User: 54
Oh. My. God.

Please do the books justice, they were among my favourite ever novels.

+Quote this post
Chez Wombat
post Feb 27 2019, 08:50 PM
Post #10
Group icon
The owls are not what they seem
Pronouns: He/him
User: 9,232
I've purchased the trilogy recently and want to read them all before this airs, almost finished Northern Lights and it's great! Think it's got great potential for the screen so hopefully this does it justice, the trailer and cast look great. Problem with the Golden Compass was it was just super forgettable when really it should've been more distinctive given the source material.

(also, I want a dæmon :'()

+Quote this post
Chez Wombat
post May 18 2019, 04:28 PM
Post #11
Group icon
Official trailer out!

Gosh, this looks so good, please don't let me down. A glimpse of Iorek Byrnison as well *.* (I have indeed finished the books since I posted that above and they were pretty epic, certainly a lot of scope for a great production).

+Quote this post
lewistgreen
post Jun 8 2019, 09:00 PM
Post #12
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
Pronouns: he/him
User: 19,585
Oh my goodness this looks incredible *.*

+Quote this post
Mart!n
post Jun 8 2019, 09:59 PM
Post #13
Group icon
Infamy Infamy they all got it in for me
User: 2
Its coming... OMG... I saw the trailer after Killing Eve, it looks pretty awesome. The books are fantastic to read as well.

+Quote this post
lewistgreen
post Sep 23 2019, 08:37 PM
Post #14
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
Pronouns: he/him
User: 19,585
Starts November 3rd!

+Quote this post
Klaus
post Sep 23 2019, 08:38 PM
Post #15
Group icon
❤️❤️➕🟦
omg i cant believe i started this thread 4 years ago

+Quote this post
spiceboy
post Sep 26 2019, 12:44 PM
Post #16
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Really looking forwards to this, not long to go now!

+Quote this post
spiceboy
post Sep 26 2019, 12:45 PM
Post #17
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Ps James McAvoy is brilliant in EVERYTHING so really pleased he is in it!

+Quote this post
Klaus
post Nov 3 2019, 09:03 PM
Post #18
Group icon
❤️❤️➕🟦
Not read the books and only saw the film once YEARS ago so not really familiar with the story and still getting into the whole world but still what a fabulous first episode. It rightly took its time in setting up the whole world whilst teasing where it’s all going. Such famtastic production and it’s the type of family drama that TV has been yearning for!

+Quote this post
Chez Wombat
post Nov 3 2019, 10:24 PM
Post #19
Group icon
Yeah, pretty good stuff! Lyra and Ms. Coulter are PERFECTLY cast just from the first episode, and the daemons look lovely. They're being very faithful so far which is good certainly established the world very well and the Magisterium looks good (according to reviews, which seemed to indicate 'good but not great' from the what I gathered, the religious aspect has been watered down a bit like the film, but I still hope they have a bit more balls with it, as it was one of the main aspects of the book).

+Quote this post
dandy*
post Nov 10 2019, 08:06 PM
Post #20
Group icon
Mansonette
User: 54
Just settling down to watch episode two of this... enjoyed the first episode but it bothered me a little bit that hardly anyone actually had a daemon!

+Quote this post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 users are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 08:17 PM