BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
> 
29 Pages V  « < 12 13 14 15 16 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Jade's favourite top 40 hits of each year ● 1997 onwards, 2005: 40-21 posted
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
coi
post May 5 2020, 12:43 PM
Post #261
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 73,240
QUOTE(Chez Wombat @ May 5 2020, 12:58 PM) *
I thought One More Time would be a little higher as well D: Pleased to see it here though, probably one of my all time favourite songs. Can never resist that opening synth line wub.gif Also a big fan of Can't Fight the Moonlight, not often I'm really into a song like that, but it's got a great build to it, that chorus just takes you by surprise every time *. The Time is Now is great too, I always remember it from an advert that I think was from football or cars, can't remember which!

I remember that advert too, I think this might be it!
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Chez Wombat
post May 5 2020, 12:57 PM
Post #262
Group icon
The owls are not what they seem
Pronouns: He/him
User: 9,232
Ooh yes, that's it, a combination of both of them then laugh.gif

+Quote this post
Mack.
post May 11 2020, 10:10 PM
Post #263
Group icon
It's still will be the return of the Mack 4eva
User: 12,915
A fantastic start there, Jade to your 2000 countdown.

+Quote this post
Jade
post May 11 2020, 10:30 PM
Post #264
Group icon
Alone and wounded
Pronouns: She/her
User: 12,810
^ Thanks Mack! happy.gif

35. Delerium - Silence (feat. Sarah McLachlan)
(chart-run: 3-4-6-7-11-13-21-28-31-37-44-45-41-47-59-62)

34. Artful Dodger and Robbie Craig - Woman Trouble (feat. Craig David)
(chart-run: 6-7-14-19-25-35-36-45-59-66)

33. Melanie C - I Turn To You
(chart-run: 1-4-5-8-15-24-30-36-34-48-55-55)

32. Chicane - Don't Give Up (feat. Bryan Adams)
(chart-run: 1-3-5-7-16-25-37-47-44-52-56-72-65-72)

31. Basement Jaxx - Bingo Bango
(chart-run: 13-30-44-64)

Today we have a very dance-heavy section! Firstly, two acts from Canada join forces. This is electronic group Delerium with vocalist Sarah McLachlan, for trance classic 'Silence'. It has been hailed as one of the best of all-time for its genre and I can definitely see why. The original version of 'Silence' is pretty ambient but the more well-known versions, such as the Airscape and Tiësto remixes, propel it into much more of an uptempo song. The version I'm most familiar with is the Airscape remix as that was included on Now 47, so it's the version I've stuck with over the years, but I do appreciate this beauty in any form. Sarah sounds extremely emotive and passionate on the record and the trance production from the remixes matches her oomph, so it was an effective transformation for me. 'Silence' features running in the video, much like 'I Need Your Lovin' (Like The Sunshine)' in the previous section, so this trance trope continues. I suppose the thrill of running is a good match with the genre. The dramatic chorus is my favourite part of the song but I love the lyrical imagery and delivery throughout. All elements fit each other like a glove to provide a stunning, classy, dance smash. Next at #34 is another electronic collaboration courtesy of Artful Dodger, Robbie Craig and Craig David! I'm very familiar with Artful Dodger and Craig David, but don't know all that much about Robbie Craig. Turns out he's been a member of East 17 since 2014! Well then. Back to 'Woman Trouble' and I think the quickfire "I feel fantastic, bombastic, ecstatically astounded..." hook has got to be the highlight of the song for me! It's such a thrilling moment. Craig David is the perfect partner for UK Garage music as ever while Robbie Craig offers something a little different, as his soulful vocal runs shine. I feel like 'Woman Trouble' has always been in the shadow of previous Artful Dodger and Craig David team-up 'Re-Rewind (The Crowd Say Bo Selecta)' in terms of long-term impact but this is almost as good as that for me! They clearly work well as a team. I couldn't find a video for 'Woman Trouble' but YouTube comments seem to indicate that it got removed? Also it was apparently taken down from Spotify but does seem to be there now, so that's good timing for me! I wonder what that is all about - perhaps the 20th anniversary prompted it? Whatever reason, I hope it is here to stay for good. UK Garage is a particularly exciting avenue of electronic music for me but this takes the biscuit with its infectious, chaotic vocal energy and relentlessly bouncy production. At #33 it's Melanie C with 'I Turn To You', the next #1 single to drop out! It's so crazy to me that 'I Turn To You' was as late as the 4th single from 'Northern Star'. But there we go! The album version of the song was sent off for remixes and Melanie said that she fell in love with the Hex Hector remix and knew it would be a hit. It was released at the height of summer (around the time of my 3rd birthday that August actually) and was coupled with a video shot in Ibiza, so the uplifting dance song had all the right ingredients to smash at the perfect time. 2000 was Melanie's time to shine with her solo Spice work, as she even experienced more #1s than Geri that year. She really brought the quality here vocally, lyrically and melodically. There's a mix of drama and feel-good factor as she begins sentences with statements such as "when my insides are racked with anxiety..." but rounds them off with "...you have the touch that will quiet me". The Hex Hector remix was a winner as he brought a bit of a 'Ray Of Light' dancefloor stomper feel to the song, with squelchy electronic beats mixed with haunting strings. Definitely one of the best solo Spice singles to exist. Melanie features again later too so she was clearly on a roll this year!

Now we transition from one chart-topper to another! Melanie C and Bryan Adams have collaborated in the past but I promise them being next to each other here was just a coincidence. Trance music was absolutely thriving in 2000 so this is another song to be plucked from the genre in this section. 'Don't Give Up' followed 'Saltwater' as the second single from Chicane's album 'Behind the Sun' - what a 1-2 punch that was! This single is similarly dreamy and layered like 'Saltwater' but instead features male vocals. I can still recognise Bryan's voice but it has admittedly gone through a lot of audio processing! So he sounds more robotic than usual. The vocals match up well to a similarly cold and futuristic video. Vocals aside, the message is more positive as it contains a straightforward chorus about taking control and following your heart. I am a sucker for Chicane's production so I could get lost for hours with those beats whirling around in my brain. Another fantastic collaboration in this section. Finally, Basement Jaxx are back to round off tonight's writing! 'Bingo Bango' was the fourth and final single to be taken from 'Remedy' and received a more modest peak than the rest of this section - with a debut of #13. It only spent one further week in the top 40 also, how criminal! Despite its peak, it placed 2nd in the Basement Jaxx 'The Singles' rate I hosted on here last year, so at least it is not underrated on BuzzJack! 'Bingo Bango' is a very loopy house song so it's guaranteed to be stuck in your head quite easily. It contains a lot of Latin flavour to it with trumpets that are reminiscent of a carnival feel. The video matches this euphoric feeling perfectly well with a lot of dancing and carnival outfits. It's not the most high budget affair, as it contains pretty basic split-screen and picture-on-picture effects and simple contents, but it's a refreshingly down to Earth moment from the duo. The mixing of cultures on display is such warm and united imagery too. Away from the visuals, the instrumentation on this single is divine, I already touched upon the brass but the piano playing is such a highlight too. This is another energetic and fun release from 'Remedy' that deserved a top 10 peak at the very least.

+Quote this post
Doctor Blind
post May 12 2020, 08:10 AM
Post #265
Group icon
#38BBE0 otherwise known as 'sky blue'
User: 7,561
Great to see Delerium's “Silence” (Airscape remix) here, it was the remix that propelled it into the UK Top 10, having chart briefly in its original ambient form the previous year - there was so much great trance in the charts in 1999 and 2000 and this one topped my personal chart, only to be deposed by the hard trance of Zombie Nation's “Kernkraft 400” (German for nuclear power). It also gave a boost to fellow Canadian singer Sarah McLachlan though she sadly was unable to capitalise on it and remains massively underrated. I remember “World On Fire” being played a lot on radio and TV in 2004 but it failed to make the Top 40. : (

+Quote this post
danG
post May 12 2020, 10:05 AM
Post #266
Group icon
🔥🚀🔥
User: 11,746
great to see Silence and Don't Give Up here particularly but these are all great again. I grew up on the Tiësto remix of Silence however so that is my fave version, I'm not too familiar with the Airscape remix.

+Quote this post
Jade
post May 12 2020, 10:30 AM
Post #267
Group icon
Alone and wounded
QUOTE(Doctor Blind @ May 12 2020, 09:10 AM) *
Great to see Delerium's “Silence” (Airscape remix) here, it was the remix that propelled it into the UK Top 10, having chart briefly in its original ambient form the previous year - there was so much great trance in the charts in 1999 and 2000 and this one topped my personal chart, only to be deposed by the hard trance of Zombie Nation's “Kernkraft 400” (German for nuclear power). It also gave a boost to fellow Canadian singer Sarah McLachlan though she sadly was unable to capitalise on it and remains massively underrated. I remember “World On Fire” being played a lot on radio and TV in 2004 but it failed to make the Top 40. : (

Hey there Doctor B hi.gif

Glad to see you in here again! I presumed that it was the Airscape Remix that resulted in 'Silence's chart career, due to it being featured on Now 47, but I was obviously too young to remember at the time and wasn't 100% sure, so thanks for the confirmation biggrin.gif 1999 and 2000 really were such good years for trance <3 excellent choice of back-to-back chart-toppers there, 'Kernkraft 400' will certainly be making an appearance here later on <3 Sarah's solo stuff is definitely underrated by the sounds of it, I think I only know 'Angel' and her Toy Story 2 song 'When She Loved Me', that always made me emotional as a kid laugh.gif

thank you for commenting <3

QUOTE(dan-G @ May 12 2020, 11:05 AM) *
great to see Silence and Don't Give Up here particularly but these are all great again. I grew up on the Tiësto remix of Silence however so that is my fave version, I'm not too familiar with the Airscape remix.

Hey there Dan hi.gif

Pleased to see you bigging up the trance hits too *.* I see! The Tiësto remix is pretty fab too so no complaints here.

+Quote this post
Mack.
post May 13 2020, 12:09 PM
Post #268
Group icon
'Silence' sounding fantastic. What a tune that is. 'Woman Trouble' another solid tune not one I listen to often but still sounds great. 'I Turn To You' probably my favourite solo single out of the Spice Girls from Mel C sounds terrific. 'Don't Give Up' what a great #1 that was from Chicane/Bryan Adams. Basement Jaxx with 'Bingo Bango' that is an brilliant track indeed from them, shame that missed out on the Top 10.

+Quote this post
Jade
post May 13 2020, 12:34 PM
Post #269
Group icon
Alone and wounded
QUOTE(Mack. @ May 13 2020, 01:09 PM) *
'Silence' sounding fantastic. What a tune that is. 'Woman Trouble' another solid tune not one I listen to often but still sounds great. 'I Turn To You' probably my favourite solo single out of the Spice Girls from Mel C sounds terrific. 'Don't Give Up' what a great #1 that was from Chicane/Bryan Adams. Basement Jaxx with 'Bingo Bango' that is an brilliant track indeed from them, shame that missed out on the Top 10.

Hey there Mack hi.gif

Yay another clean sweep - your taste is amazing! I feel like I don't listen to 'Woman Trouble' enough even though I love it so much, I guess it doesn't often pop up in throwback playlists, that's changing now that it's in the accompanying playlist for this countdown though! 'I Turn To You' is a brilliant choice for your favourite Spice single <3 and yeah 'Bingo Bango' feels like a Basement Jaxx staple, deserved way more than 2 weeks in the chart!

Thank you for commenting <3

+Quote this post
Jade
post May 18 2020, 09:49 PM
Post #270
Group icon
Alone and wounded

30. Craig David - Fill Me In
(chart-run: 1-2-2-3-7-13-16-20-27-36-45-47-56-72)

29. Aaliyah - Try Again
(chart-run: 5-10-12-18-24-28-38-39-50-61-63-75R(3)

28. Coldplay - Trouble
(chart-run: 10-18-19-26-39-48-66-71-72)

27. Element Four - Big Brother UK TV Theme
(chart-run: 4-8-9-15-26-38-55-73-74-63R(39)-75)

26. Madison Avenue - Don't Call Me Baby
(chart-run: 1-2-5-10-17-20-23-32-41-56-60-70)

Kicking off the top 30 is Craig David with 'Fill Me In'! This is another UK #1 single to drop out. The chart that featured its #1 debut was a memorable one - as the entire top 6 comprised of new entries! Joining Craig up there was also Sweet Female Attitude, Richard Ashcroft, Steps, Bloodhound Gang and Lock 'N' Load! Craig would swiftly be toppled from the #1 spot by Fragma, but at least he got his moment in the sun after previously settling for #2 with Artful Dodger on 'Re-Rewind (The Crowd Say Bo Selecta)'. I recently found out that 'Fill Me In' also received a delayed release in the U.S. and managed to chart as high as #15 on the Billboard Hot 100, wow! This was Craig's first solo hit following the aforementioned Artful Dodger collaboration so he started off on the right foot. He was just 18 years old at the time and his youthful years are evident by the subject matter of the song! 'Fill Me In' is about Craig sneaking out to meet up with the girl next door but her parents being suspicious of what they're getting up to. Rookie errors such as being dressed in white but later black, plus leaving money on the TV (when televisions were big enough to be used for that purpose! shoutout to the brick phones in this video too) - are detailed in the lyrics. Craig is even seen climbing through the window to get to this girl in the video. Two young lovers on a mission! I'm so happy that Craig opted for a blend of 2-step garage and smooth R&B for his solo stardom as this sound suits him so well. The lyrics are a rush, I adore the production here and his flow is effortlessly cool too!

Now we transition from one R&B song to another. But female vocals instead of male this time. This is the late, great, Aaliyah with 'Try Again'. Unlike 'Fill Me In', this was not a UK #1 - settling for #5 here, however it did reach #1 in the United States! It was apparently the first ever Billboard Hot 100 #1 to get there based solely on the strength of its airplay. Queen of radio! 'Try Again' came about due to Aaliyah acting in the film 'Romeo Must Die' and serving as executive producer on the accompanying soundtrack too. She contributed to four songs and 'Try Again' was chosen as the lead single. It would later appear on international versions of her eponymous album in addition to this. 'Try Again' is one of Aaliyah's legendary team-ups with Timbaland. He produced the record and also provides the opening hook: "it's been a long time, we shouldn't have left you, without a dope beat to step to" - an interpolation of 'I Know You Got Soul' by Eric B. & Rakim. What an earworm that is! Timbland's production offering here sounds wonderfully fuzzy and squelchy, borrowing from acid house features. So that's pretty interesting on an R&B record. Aaliyah compliments this sound beautifully with her oh-so-smooth vocals. She's one of my favourite R&B voices ever - such a shame that her talent was taken away so quickly. She owns the video as the centre of attention - where she's dripping in diamonds, tackling some choreography and even climbing a wall at one point. It all feels gloriously late-90s/early 00s. 'Try Again' was initially written to be inspirational but the concept was soon flipped to be more about love. However, the chorus line "and if at first you don't succeed, dust yourself off and try again" does feel really inspirational to me nonetheless. This single is an instant pick-me-up for sure.

Next, the chart peaks continue to descend while the quality ascends! Coldplay scraped a second top 10 hit from their massively successful debut era 'Parachutes' - as 'Trouble' peaked at #10. Its position in my countdown may seem a little low, but Coldplay fans do not fret as they still have more to come for 2000 alone. It feels exciting to be able to incorporate them into my countdown now as they're one of my favourite bands. 'Trouble' was written about tension in the band at the time, as Chris Martin felt he was misbehaving towards other members. He described it as "behaving badly towards someone you really love". Therefore, the song is very reflective. 'Trouble' is both a melancholic and chilled listen for me at the same time. I feel like the production helps to inject more of the latter feeling. Those piano rhythms are just heavenly. Chris really stuns with his falsetto as ever too. 'Trouble' could've had an even wider reach, but the band turned down offers for it to be used as part of multiple campaigns - namely a multi-million (!) Euro offer from Diet Coke and Gap, plus for the soundtrack of 2001 film 'Driven'. This actually doesn't surprise me all that much as I remember the group initially refusing to let Glee cover their songs. However, they were kinder after Chris' then-wife Gwyneth Paltrow appeared on the show. 'Trouble' has two videos aimed at different markets but for once it's actually the US version that I'm more familiar with! I feel like alternative videos can often be inessential, but this one set in a dreamy animated world, with the band attached to it, is really quite pretty. A lovely package. 'Parachutes' is the only Coldplay album I own on vinyl currently so I need to change that! But what a good start to that collection eh. Plus a great start to their appearances in this countdown - those will be popping up for years.

Okay, this next song choice seems a little silly but I have already selected 'Chocolate Salty Balls' and a song inspired by 'The Hampster Dance' so nothing is off limits. Sadly, just like 'Chocolate Salty Balls', we have another song that is not available on Spotify at last sad.gif and this isn't even the only one for 2000! Grr. Anyway, the song I'm talking about is... yes... 'Big Brother UK TV Theme' by Element Four! This was a genuine top 5 single with somewhat decent longevity so it's not just me who loves this okay. Rewind back to 2000 and you will find the launch of Big Brother UK which took the nation by storm. I was of course way too young to remember this but I did retrospectively watch as much of the 2000 series as I could find on YouTube back in the day! Mainly because I was intrigued about the Nasty Nick controversy. But yes, back in 2000 Big Brother was straightforward social experimentation with no ViaCom stars or tweets from the public. It was lapped up quickly as an eye-watering 10 million people were estimated to have watched the final. Crazy figures for Channel 4! The first year of Big Brother that I remember watching was 2007 - the year that spawned another questionable top 40 hit in 'Barbie Girl' by Samanda. I watched on and off for years, with my interest eventually waning. But my love for the theme never died. 2000 not only launched the show but 'Big Brother UK TV Theme' as a single! The masterminds behind this one are actual (insert Jameela) Paul Oakenfold with the help of Andy Gray. What can I say, those dramatic, throbbing trance beats are killer and all the little vocal portions add a bit more flavour to it too. Oh how I wish it was on Spotify. There's a version by 'Big Mouth' on there but it's not the exact same. Ah well, at least there's YouTube and we genuinely have a dance compilation somewhere in the house that contains this. One of the best TV themes ever? I think so!!

Thankfully, I am rounding off this section with a song that is very much on Spotify, yay! If you thought Aaliyah was the only one serving choreography then you were wrong. As we are treated to some moves in this next video. It isn't quite as slick as the 'Try Again' video, as Madison Avenue lady looks quite washed out and has an annoying strand of hair that has escaped onto her face. But at least her vocals were great! The straight to the point delivery and lyrics compliment a very infectious house bassline so well. This element to the production is actually a sample based on 'Ain't No Stoppin' Us Now' by McFadden & Whitehead. 'Don't Call Me Baby' was originally released in 1999, but only managed to peak at #30. It subsequently re-entered the top 75 several times and prompted a re-release. Now they were talking as it became a #1 hit in the United Kingdom this time! It dislodged Britney's massive 'Oops!... I Did It Again' from the top which is no mean feat. This happened in 2000 so that's why I associate it a lot more with this year. I remember discovering this song, as well as 'Flat Beat' earlier and several others, on a 4Music 90s dance show (I guess they must have classed this as 90s due to its original release date - fair enough) as a kid and I truly have that to thank for kicking my love of dance music up a notch. God bless 90s and early 00s dance.

+Quote this post
Brer
post May 18 2020, 10:18 PM
Post #271
Group icon
I'll just stick around and do some more damage
User: 8,300
Lol @ the Big Brother theme appearing x (it is kind of a tune though, seems a little random that they went to Paul Oakenfold to make the theme music for the series but why not laugh.gif)

wub.gif for Madison Avenue, Coldplay and Craig David from this section ~

+Quote this post
Jade
post May 18 2020, 11:01 PM
Post #272
Group icon
Alone and wounded
QUOTE(Bré @ May 18 2020, 11:18 PM) *
Lol @ the Big Brother theme appearing x (it is kind of a tune though, seems a little random that they went to Paul Oakenfold to make the theme music for the series but why not laugh.gif)

wub.gif for Madison Avenue, Coldplay and Craig David from this section ~

rotf.gif it does stick out like a sore thumb but an undeniable bop tbh! I'm not quite sure how they wound up choosing Paul and friend but it was a genius move *.*

Yay wub.gif x

+Quote this post
danG
post May 19 2020, 03:39 PM
Post #273
Group icon
🔥🚀🔥
User: 11,746
Don't Call Me Baby heart.gif big fave of mine for that year.
Try Again and Fill Me In are both great RnB picks too.
Big Brother UK TV Theme isn't a big trance classic for me though, it's decent for what it is but it probably would've only made the lower half of the top 40 if it weren't attached to BB.

+Quote this post
Dexton
post May 19 2020, 03:42 PM
Post #274
Group icon
rip in peace Dickston
User: 25,045
Honestly never considered the Big Brother theme as a trance song until now

+Quote this post
Jade
post May 21 2020, 11:09 PM
Post #275
Group icon
Alone and wounded
QUOTE(dan-G @ May 19 2020, 04:39 PM) *
Don't Call Me Baby heart.gif big fave of mine for that year.
Try Again and Fill Me In are both great RnB picks too.
Big Brother UK TV Theme isn't a big trance classic for me though, it's decent for what it is but it probably would've only made the lower half of the top 40 if it weren't attached to BB.

Hey there Dan hi.gif

Yay heart.gif 2000 was really delivering with the dance #1s, so many more to come wub.gif glad the R&B is appealing to you too!

Aw that's a shame laugh.gif I genuinely think it's such a bop away from the show haha. But yeah you're right, the tag of a massively popular programme would've done wonders!

QUOTE(Dexton @ May 19 2020, 04:42 PM) *
Honestly never considered the Big Brother theme as a trance song until now

Hey there Dexton hi.gif

Looool it does look a bit ridiculous written out laugh.gif but there you go *_* gotta love the diversity of the chart back then

+Quote this post
Mack.
post May 23 2020, 11:29 AM
Post #276
Group icon
Don't Call Me Baby, a classic that is. Big Brother Theme is iconic and decent for what it is. 'Fill Me In' a great #1 for Craig David, one I listen to now and again. Try Again a good R&B pick from the much missed Aaliyah. And 'Trouble' from Coldplay another favourite of mine.

+Quote this post
Jade
post May 24 2020, 09:42 PM
Post #277
Group icon
Alone and wounded
QUOTE(Mack. @ May 23 2020, 12:29 PM) *
Don't Call Me Baby, a classic that is. Big Brother Theme is iconic and decent for what it is. 'Fill Me In' a great #1 for Craig David, one I listen to now and again. Try Again a good R&B pick from the much missed Aaliyah. And 'Trouble' from Coldplay another favourite of mine.

Hey there Mack hi.gif

Glad you're enjoying this section! How I wish Aaliyah was still around making music.

+Quote this post
Jade
post May 25 2020, 10:22 PM
Post #278
Group icon
Alone and wounded

25. Gabrielle - Rise
(chart-run: 1-1-2-2-7-12-14-19-25-29-45-57-51-54-62)

24. Darude - Sandstorm
(chart-run: 3-3-5-9-9-11-11-16-18-19-25-26-36-47-54)

23. Robbie Williams - Rock DJ
(chart-run: 1-2-3-4-6-11-14-20-23-28-34-42-50-70-70-75-71-72R(2)-66-60)

22. Britney Spears - Stronger
(chart-run: 7-11-14-10-14-26-38-48-57-62)

21. Mary Mary - Shackles (Praise You)
(chart-run: 5-8-6-10-12-20-23-27-31-36-40-49)

Beginning today's section is Gabrielle with 'Rise'. The English singer had to wait 7 years to top the chart again, after 'Dreams' got to #1 in 1993, but she did it in style! This is because 'Rise' is one of the small handful of 2000 chart toppers to stay there for more than a week - it achieved two consecutive weeks at the summit. 'Rise' was off to a good start from the word go as it received Bob Dylan's rare seal of approval. The song samples 'Knockin' on Heaven's Door' and Dylan liked the demo of 'Rise' so much that he allowed her to sample it for free. What a result! 'Rise' reminds me of 'Try Again' from the previous section in ways, as it's carried by smooth vocals and dabbles between the themes of love and inspiration lyrically. Gabrielle proclaims that she's "ready to rise again" after watching aspects of her life crumble in the past. Therefore it's an anthem for strength. Her previous chart topper 'Dreams' had a bit of an upbeat kick to it, but 'Rise' is very much a slower pop/R&B moment. The accompanying video sees Gabrielle spectating a boxing match, sporting shades due to her ptosis. 'Rise' topped the chart in January of 2000 so the nation was clearly starting the year off on a strong note.

It's time for a completely different vibe now as 'Sandstorm' by Darude is up next at #24! This single may not have topped the chart but it has earned itself a bit of a legacy as a meme. Specifically as a response when people are asking what the name of a song is. The meme blew up so much that YouTube incorporated it as an April Fools Day prank! Back in 2015, it would come up with "did you mean: Darude - Sandstorm' for all music video queries for the day. Iconic. 'Sandstorm' was Finnish DJ Darude's first single, taken from debut album 'Before the Storm'. He quickly rose to fame with the help of MP3.com, as that site attracted 'Sandstorm' a worldwide following. He went on to have two further top 40 hits ('Feel The Beat' and 'Out Of Control (Back For More)') but 'Sandstorm' would remain his signature song by far. It's an exhilarating trance instrumental that is inspired by the synthesizer used to create the song - as when started up it displays the text 'sand storm'. Unfortunately, when questioned, it turns out that Darude has never experienced a sand storm. Once again, we have a trance song that utilises the theme of a running video! This time two armed security guards chase a woman with a briefcase. One of the security guards turns on the other and escapes with briefcase woman on a boat. Of course Darude experiences the whole ordeal from chase to boat. Why not.

Now we swiftly return to a #1 single! Just a one week stint at the top this time but it was the fourth best-selling single of the year nevertheless. This is Robbie Williams with 'Rock DJ'! The music video for the chart-topper may claim at the end that "no Robbie's were harmed in the making of this video" but that is NOT the case for my eyes! I can't believe I just relived it. The disturbing ripping of flesh remains as traumatising as ever. 2000s kids deserve a medal for surviving this gory visual ordeal tbh. Okay, perhaps it's not the worst thing ever, but the video was certainly controversial! Music channels nowadays tend to skip from Robbie in his underwear to him as a skeleton, repeating previous footage in place of the skin stripping. Probably for the best. The video takes place in a roller disco where he is trying to get the attention of the female DJ. The location and energy feels quite appropriate for such a fun, upbeat song. The pop production is pounding, with guitars thrown in there for added oomph towards the end, plus the chorus is an absolute earworm. In fact 'Rock DJ' is full of hooks - including an interpolation of 'Can I Kick It?' by A Tribe Called Quest. The song has such a satisfying build up. Lines such as "it's time to move your body" ensure a feel-good party classic. I'll forgive Robbie for the gruesome video as the song is certainly a triumph amongst his discography at least.

Next is the lowest charting single of this bunch but still a top 10 hit - 'Stronger' by Britney Spears! It peaked at #7 here in the United Kingdom but settled for a frustrating #11 in the United States. It was the third single to be released from her sophomore album 'Oops!...I Did It Again' after the title track and 'Lucky'. I can confirm that one of those two is still to come in the countdown. Britney worked with dream team Max Martin and Rami on the song and Joseph Kahn on the video. 'Stronger' is attention-grabbing from the word go with a foghorn synth to kick off proceedings. It continues with a heavy dance beat throughout. The lyrics are empowering as they depict a woman who is tired of her cheating boyfriend and is ready to move on. I love the call-back to Britney's debut hit '...Baby One More Time' with the lyric "my loneliness ain't killing me no more" - what a pleasing conclusion to that saga. I do enjoy this song a fair amount in isolation but the visuals really help it totally spring to life for me. The chairography is just epic. An impressive homage to Janet Jackson. Another highlight of the song is the breathy build-up to the final chorus, perfect tension! It's not an *ultimate* Britney highlight for me but still good enough to make #22 for 2000. I have so much time for a lot of her singles discography. Shoutout to the Glee version of 'Stronger' too as Kevin McHale tackled it pretty well!

Rounding off this section is possibly one of the most joyful chart hits ever? It certainly never fails to put me in a good mood! This is top 5 hit 'Shackles (Praise You)' by Mary Mary. It also charted at #28 on the Billboard Hot 100. This is an upbeat song that fuses both R&B and gospel influences. It received criticism for straying away from traditional gospel music. Mary Mary hit back by saying that the song is universal and that the lyrics are undeniably gospel. Indeed they seem to incorporate God's love setting you free. The lyrics do not feel explicitly religious though so it's easy to enjoy no matter what your beliefs may be. The feeling of freedom is personified through the euphoric monster of a chorus in particular. The instrumental is really punchy too and the girls kill it on vocals. To top it all off, the video features a lot of dancing and Mary Mary looking incredibly happy, so the feel-good factor is only amplified further. 'Shackles (Praise You)' samples Tupac's song 'Hit Em Up' but has come full circle now in the sampling stakes. Its impact is still felt now as Stormzy decided to sample 'Shackles (Praise You)' in his song 'Rainfall' - this received exposure as part of his Brit Awards 2020 medley.

+Quote this post
PeteFromLeeds
post May 30 2020, 12:20 PM
Post #279
Group icon
Buy yourself a car, and a house in Devon
User: 23,247
So many tunes in here! Bingo Bango brings back so many memories, a really brilliant song wub.gif Trouble, Don't Call Me Baby, Sandstorm and Shackles as well!

+Quote this post
Jade
post May 31 2020, 12:06 PM
Post #280
Group icon
Alone and wounded
QUOTE(PeteFromLeeds @ May 30 2020, 01:20 PM) *
So many tunes in here! Bingo Bango brings back so many memories, a really brilliant song wub.gif Trouble, Don't Call Me Baby, Sandstorm and Shackles as well!

Hey Pete hi.gif

I know right, what a year 2000 was wub.gif excited to get into the top 20 tomorrow! Glad to hear that you associate 'Bingo Bango' (and all those songs!) in such a positive way.

+Quote this post

29 Pages V  « < 12 13 14 15 16 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 users are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 01:05 PM