BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
> 
6 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Sergej's Year-End Lists of 2019
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Sergej
post 9th December 2019, 03:57 PM
Post #1
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 39,723

Sergej's Year End Lists of 2019

If you haven't seen my previous year's year end list, check it out right here: http://www.buzzjack.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=217736

So, 2019 is slowly coming to an end, but not that because this decade is slowly coming to an end.

To be honest, 2019 was a rollercoaster personally and musically, there were some great stuff and some bad stuff.
In my third annual Year-End list, I'll do a special list as well for the best and the worst of this decade.
It's going to be a long ride, so hopefully you'll stick around to see it!

Who could be the best song of 2019 according to my chart year of 2019?
Will Dua Lipa have another EOY #1 for the first year in a row? Could the 11-week record-breaking reign of "Mambo Salentino" top the year-end list or will the break out star Dominic Fike reach the top?
Possible contenders of my song of the year are: Dua Lipa, Boomdabash & Alessandra Amoroso, Dominic Fike, Mabel, Shawn Mendes & Camila Cabello, Calvin Harris & Rag'n'Bone Man, Kygo & Whitney Houston and many more!

Here are last year's top 10 songs:
10. Takagi & Ketra - Amore E Capoeira (feat. Giusy Ferreri & Sean Kingston)
9. Clean Bandit - Solo (feat. Demi Lovato)
8. John Newman - Fire On Me
7. Calvin Harris & Sam Smith - Promises
6. The Weeknd & Kendrick Lamar - Pray For Me
5. Dua Lipa - IDGAF
4. Craig David & Bastille - I Know You
3. Rudimental - These Days (feat. Jess Glynne, Macklemore & Dan Caplen)
2. Alvaro Soler - La Cintura
1. Calvin Harris & Dua Lipa - One Kiss

But since we have to talk about the best and the worst of this year. Let's start with the bad, before we get to the good

My Worst songs of 2019 will start this weeks with 10 songs that I just don't like or even hate.
Take guesses, who will be on there, as well as who could be #1?
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
danG
post 9th December 2019, 04:10 PM
Post #2
Group icon
🔥🚀🔥
User: 11,746

looking forward to this chart! I think Dua may have been released too late to make your #1 here if you're still using a points system so I'm gonna predict Mambo Salentino as your #1 seeing as it spent so long at #1.

+Quote this post
PeteFromLeeds
post 9th December 2019, 04:22 PM
Post #3
Group icon
Buy yourself a car, and a house in Devon
User: 23,247

Looking forward to this, hope there's a bit of crossover between our EOYs again (especially with the Worst Songs bit tongue.gif)

+Quote this post
Sergej
post 9th December 2019, 04:33 PM
Post #4
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

QUOTE(dancember @ Dec 9 2019, 05:10 PM) *
looking forward to this chart! I think Dua may have been released too late to make your #1 here if you're still using a points system so I'm gonna predict Mambo Salentino as your #1 seeing as it spent so long at #1.

QUOTE(Shepeteherd @ Dec 9 2019, 05:22 PM) *
Looking forward to this, hope there's a bit of crossover between our EOYs again (especially with the Worst Songs bit tongue.gif)

Thanks guys! I hope I won't dissapoint you with this!

+Quote this post
Sergej
post 10th December 2019, 03:54 PM
Post #5
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

First of all, here is last year's worst list:
1. Lil Dicky - Freaky Friday (feat. Chris Brown)
2. 6ix9ine - GUMMO / FEFE (feat. Nicki Minaj & Murda Beatz)
3. XXXTENTACION - SAD!
4. Drake - I'm Upset
5. Capital Bra - Berlin Lebt
6. Bebe Rexha - Meant To Be (feat. Florida Georgia Line)
7. Sheck Wes - Mo Bamba
8. Nio García, Darell, Casper Mágico, Bad Bunny, Nicky Jam and Ozuna - Te Boté (Remix)
9. Dardan - Facetime
10. Rak-Su - I Want You To Freak

To be honest, 2019 wasn't that bad of a year, but don't get wrong we still have AWFUL songs in there. But for most of them, I can't even be angry at them. Still there are 10 songs on the list that will be torn up and burn to shreds, including one song that right now will be very hard to talk about, considering the incident happening recently.

But I digress, so who would take the #1 this time, will Lil Dicky continue to have the most awful song of the year? Will Chris Brown have another #1 under his worst list belt? There will be plenty of surprises.

However, let's start with the dishonorable mentions first, songs that are bad, but not that awful to making the list.

A Boogie Wit Da Hoodie - Swervin (feat. 6ix9ine)
A Boogie Wit Da Hoodie has two big hit songs in 2019, one of them is "Look Back At It", which I find decent, the other one was "Swervin" which is anything but decent. It sounds awful and A Boogie disappointed me with this, oh and 6ix9ine shows up. Anyone who watched my Worst of 2018 lists knows how I feel about him.

Flipp Dinero - Leave Me Alone
This was actually going to be off the Worst list, considering how forgettable it is. Then I heard it again and the bad memories came back. The production is crap and Flipp Dinero is an awful rapper.

The 1975 - People
The 1975, what happened? You used to be one of the best bands of the 2010s and now this? This is a pet peeve of mine, but I don't like screaming in songs. Sometimes they are done right, most times don't. This falls in the latter category. I swear, they need to improve in the next album, because they are capable of so much better.

AJR - Neotheater
I'm counting the whole album on there, if there was a hit single on there, it would've been very high on the list.

Zac Brown Band - The Owl
Same with "Neotheater", if there was a hit single on there, it would've been very high on the list, especially if it was "God Given", then it would be very close to #1. What a disappointment from a band that I thought was interesting.

Pinkfong - Baby Shark
This would've been on the list, hell it could have been close to #1 as well. But at the end of the day, it a song for children. And I would look dumb ripping a song for children to bits. Also, I don't want to lose a lot of brain cells listening to this.

One more thing, german rap won't be on the list. Yeah, I don't like that Germany's music charts are mostly filled with rap songs and less pop songs (blame streaming for this), at least I can admit the production on many of those could make me bop my head to those songs.

This post has been edited by Snowjdords: 10th December 2019, 03:57 PM

+Quote this post
danG
post 10th December 2019, 09:09 PM
Post #6
Group icon
🔥🚀🔥

Baby Shark definitely got rather annoying but it's not one of the absolute worst offenders for me with it just being a silly kids song.
I've not listened to much AJR but I've not liked anything I've heard, 100 Bad Days was particularly an offender this year as it got sent to BJSC.
People was awful and a real low point from The 1975, couldn't make it beyond a minute of listening to it.
Swervin I didn't particularly enjoy nor dislike, apart from 6ix9ine's bit, I don't like anything of his.
I quite liked Leave Me Alone but not enough to make it past #90 in my chart, it wasn't anything special.
Not heard anything from Zac Brown Band recently so can't comment on that, I enjoyed Zac Brown on the Avicii song Broken Arrows but I've never gone to seek out his own material as I'm no fan of country.

Hopefully Lil Dicky can feature "high" again like he did for me.

+Quote this post
PeteFromLeeds
post 10th December 2019, 10:10 PM
Post #7
Group icon

Leave Me Alone is the only one of that bunch I strongly dislike but it's an absolutely horrendous song, glad someone else at least gave it a mention! I'll admit that the singles from Neotheater were quite disappointing compared to AJR's previous output but I wouldn't go so far as to say they were one of the worst this year.

+Quote this post
Sergej
post 14th December 2019, 06:17 PM
Post #8
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

QUOTE(dancember @ Dec 10 2019, 10:09 PM) *
Baby Shark definitely got rather annoying but it's not one of the absolute worst offenders for me with it just being a silly kids song.
I've not listened to much AJR but I've not liked anything I've heard, 100 Bad Days was particularly an offender this year as it got sent to BJSC.
People was awful and a real low point from The 1975, couldn't make it beyond a minute of listening to it.
Swervin I didn't particularly enjoy nor dislike, apart from 6ix9ine's bit, I don't like anything of his.
I quite liked Leave Me Alone but not enough to make it past #90 in my chart, it wasn't anything special.
Not heard anything from Zac Brown Band recently so can't comment on that, I enjoyed Zac Brown on the Avicii song Broken Arrows but I've never gone to seek out his own material as I'm no fan of country.

Hopefully Lil Dicky can feature "high" again like he did for me.

Like I said, I left "Baby Shark" off the list, because it's a kids song.
I'm glad that I didn't join BJSC, when "100 Bad Days" was sent to BJSC, otherwise I would give it -1 points!
Glad we could agree on "People" and at least "Leave Me Alone" wasn't anything special to you.
Oh my god, "Broken Arrows" was good and the last good thing that Zac Brown made, before the abomination of "The Owl".
Thank you for your comment Dan!

+Quote this post
Sergej
post 14th December 2019, 06:18 PM
Post #9
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

QUOTE(Shepeteherd @ Dec 10 2019, 11:10 PM) *
Leave Me Alone is the only one of that bunch I strongly dislike but it's an absolutely horrendous song, glad someone else at least gave it a mention! I'll admit that the singles from Neotheater were quite disappointing compared to AJR's previous output but I wouldn't go so far as to say they were one of the worst this year.

Glad that we agree on "Leave Me Alone"!
Thank you for your comment!

+Quote this post
Sergej
post 14th December 2019, 06:34 PM
Post #10
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

Let's start with the top 10 after the huge delay.

#10: James Arthur & Anne-Marie - Rewrite The Stars
I haven't watched The Greatest Showman yet, but I've heard the Reimagined Soundtrack, outside of "Come Alive" (The Years & Years and Jess Glynne version), nothing all special. And "Rewrite The Stars" by James Arthur and Anne-Marie is by far the worst of them, simply put they don't have chemistry together and both artists have never sounded so bad!

#9: Jonas Brothers - Cool
It's nice to see the Jonas Brothers comeback in 2019, "Sucker" and "Only Human" are both fantastic songs and will make my Year-End List for the best songs, however in between those two, there was "Cool", the single that came after "Sucker". And it was horrible. They are so annoying on this song and it also features stupid lines like: "Woke up feelin' like a new James Dean" or worse "I feel like Post Malone when I get home" and "Sittin' there, winnin' like it's Game of Thrones". Just awful, thank god their next single after that, "Only Human" was amazing.

This post has been edited by Snowjdords: 14th December 2019, 06:34 PM

+Quote this post
danG
post 14th December 2019, 10:10 PM
Post #11
Group icon
🔥🚀🔥

Two matches so far!
I'm no fan of any of Jonas Brothers' songs but Cool was particularly bad, and I didn't enjoy Rewrite the Stars in either version too but James & Anne-Marie's version is easily the worse.

+Quote this post
Riser
post 14th December 2019, 11:49 PM
Post #12
Group icon
The horrors persist, but so do I
User: 19,534

Not a fan of 'Cool' either sad.gif I did like the Post Malone lyric though, because they were returning the favor for Post Malone singing "with my brothers like it's Jonas Jonas" in 'Better Now'. I thought that was clever!

+Quote this post
Sergej
post 15th December 2019, 08:58 PM
Post #13
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

QUOTE(dancember @ Dec 14 2019, 11:10 PM) *
Two matches so far!
I'm no fan of any of Jonas Brothers' songs but Cool was particularly bad, and I didn't enjoy Rewrite the Stars in either version too but James & Anne-Marie's version is easily the worse.

Glad that you hate both songs just like I do!

+Quote this post
Sergej
post 15th December 2019, 08:59 PM
Post #14
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

QUOTE(Riser @ Dec 15 2019, 12:49 AM) *
Not a fan of 'Cool' either sad.gif I did like the Post Malone lyric though, because they were returning the favor for Post Malone singing "with my brothers like it's Jonas Jonas" in 'Better Now'. I thought that was clever!

Glad that we agree on "Cool" being bad, I get that Post Malone lyric was because Post Malone referenced the Jonas Brothers on "Better Now", but I still don't like it.

+Quote this post
Sergej
post 15th December 2019, 09:09 PM
Post #15
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

8. The Chainsmokers & Bebe Rexha - Call You Mine:
The Chainsmokers made some songs that I like: "Roses", "Don't Let Me Down" and my favourite: "Something Just Like This" with Coldplay, hell their new song "Family" with Kygo is a great song in my opinion. But... that doesn't mean their perfect, in fact "#Selfie" and many songs of their album "Memories... Do Not Open" are very, very bad among the worst they've made. And while "Call You Mine" isn't the worst thing The Chainsmokers and Bebe Rexha have done, it's still awful. Bebe Rexha's singing can range from tolerate to downright annoying. This lands on the latter side, especially on the chorus. And the drop is awful too. By far the worst song from both artists this year.

7. Cardi B - Press:
I think I'm getting sick of Cardi B right now, "I Like It" was a great song, I loved it, but pretty much everything afterwards was not good. And this, dare I say it, might be the worst thing she did. The lyrics are awful, the flow is bad and Cardi B has never sounded so horrible, especially on the chorus. Cardi needs to take a break and improve, otherwise she could become the next Drake. Just disappointing on all accounts.

+Quote this post
danG
post 15th December 2019, 10:28 PM
Post #16
Group icon
🔥🚀🔥

Both of those only just scraped the bottom end of my chart so can't complain at them being here, both artists have done much better.
Although for me that Chainsmokers song is one of their best of this era, which says a lot about the quality of their output at the moment for me seeing as I'm still not much of a fan of it.

+Quote this post
Sergej
post 16th December 2019, 08:50 PM
Post #17
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

QUOTE(dancember @ Dec 15 2019, 11:28 PM) *
Both of those only just scraped the bottom end of my chart so can't complain at them being here, both artists have done much better.
Although for me that Chainsmokers song is one of their best of this era, which says a lot about the quality of their output at the moment for me seeing as I'm still not much of a fan of it.

Glad that we agree on both songs being hateable!

+Quote this post
Sergej
post 16th December 2019, 08:54 PM
Post #18
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

6. Blueface - Thotiana:
I just don't get this song, it's another stupid rap song that got popular and I don't know why.

5. Chris Brown - No Guidance (feat. Drake):
Hi Chris Brown, welcome again to my worst list and you brought Drake too, which is just lovely. It's not the worst of both artists's songs, but still horrible. Chris Brown is awful as always, Drake might be the best part on this song, but even he is bad too and the production sounds like crap. The only thing that made me laugh about this song was the video where Drake impersonates Chris Brown's dancing, which is both cringy and funny at the same time. But still, it's an awful song. However, they only made #5, because there are four songs that are even worse than this.

+Quote this post
PeteFromLeeds
post 16th December 2019, 09:30 PM
Post #19
Group icon

Thotiana is absolutely dreadful, No Guidance I remember being awful as well but can't actually remember how it went!

+Quote this post
Jade
post 16th December 2019, 09:32 PM
Post #20
Group icon
Alone and wounded
Pronouns: She/her
User: 12,810

'Thotiana' is definitely one of my least favourite songs of the year too sick2.gif the Cardi B version was somehow even worse also.

+Quote this post

6 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 25th April 2024, 11:30 PM