BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
> 

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> ThePensmith's Chart of the Year - Top 40 Singles of 2019, Plus Top 10 Singles of 2010 - 2019
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
ThePensmith
post 31st December 2019, 12:39 PM
Post #1
Group icon
They've had the very Tunnocks, Mary
User: 13,208

THEPENSMITH'S CHART OF THE YEAR: THE TOP 40 SINGLES OF 2019
© AM Limited 2019

1. MARK RONSON FEAT. LYKKE LI - Late Night Feelings (#1, May)

2. SHAWN MENDES FEAT. CAMILA CABELLO - Senőrita (#2, July)
3. PEPPA PIG - Bing Bong Zoo (#1, December)
4. LITTLE MIX - One I've Been Missing (#1, December)
5. MARK RONSON FEAT. CAMILA CABELLO - Find U Again (#1, August)
6. DUA LIPA - Don't Start Now (#1, November)
7. JONAS BROTHERS - Sucker (#1, March)
8. HIMESH PATEL - Yesterday (#1, July)
9. MCFLY - Touch the Rain (#1, September)
10. JODIE WHITTAKER - Yellow (#1, November)

11. P!NK - Walk Me Home (#1, March)
12. NIALL HORAN - Nice To Meet Ya (#1, October)
13. NOW UNITED - Legends (#1, November)
14. MABEL - Mad Love (#1, June)
15. JULIA MICHAELS FEAT. NIALL HORAN - What A Time (#1, February)
16. LITTLE MIX - Bounce Back (#1, June)
17. ALPHABEAT - I Don't Know What's Cool Anymore (#1, September)
18. OLLY MURS - Talking To Yourself / That Girl (#1, July)
19. NOW UNITED - All Day (#1, January)
20. CAMILA CABELLO - Liar (#2, September)

21. JONAS BROTHERS - Cool (#2, June)
22. OLLY MURS - Feel the Same (#3, April)
23. THE VERONICAS - Think of Me (#1, April)
24. DJ SPOONY PRESENTS GARAGE CLASSICAL FEAT. SUGABABES - Flowers (#1, October)
25. MABEL - Don't Call Me Up (#2, March)
26. ALPHABEAT - Shadows (#5, March)
27. NOW UNITED - Párana / Beautiful Life (#1, June)
28. AVICII FEAT. ALOE BLACC - SOS (#2, May)
29. COLDPLAY - Orphans / Arabesque (#1, November)
30. JP COOPER FEAT. ASTRID S - Sing It With Me (#2, July)

31. BUSTED - Radio (#1, February)
32. NOW UNITED FEAT. BADSHAH - How We Do It (#2, March)
33. WESTLIFE - Hello My Love (#2, January)
34. CRAIG DAVID - When You Know What Love Is (#2, June)
35. BASTILLE - Can't Fight This Feeling (#4, November)
36. WESTLIFE - Better Man (#2, April)
37. CALL ME LOOP - Self Love (#4, July)
38. NIALL HORAN - Put A Little Love On Me (#3, December)
39. LOS UNIDADES FEAT. PHARRELL WILLIAMS & JOZZY - E-Lo (#1, January)
40. MARK RONSON FEAT. YEBBA - Don't Leave Me Lonely (#3, November)

Compiled from my personal listening on physical, streaming and digital formats across the 52 chart weeks covering Friday 28th December 2018 - Thursday 26th December 2019. Figures in brackets indicate song's peak position and the month it reached that peak.

END OF YEAR COMMENTARY

(From L-R) Topping our charts in 2019: Mark Ronson, Little Mix and Jonas Brothers

After several sluggish years, for fans of slightly faster moving chart action it is a pleasure to report that things have sped up once again on my personal chart. And the stats don't lie - last year, a total of 28 different singles took turns at the top of my chart - the largest such amount for almost five years, when 30 different records took turns at the top in 2014. That's also nearly double the total of number one records - 15 - from 2018.

And coming up trumps to beat them all and claim the year's biggest single on my chart was of course 'Late Night Feelings', the mammoth six week chart topper from May by Mark Ronson featuring Lykke Li. It is the first time either Ronson or his collaborator, Swedish singer-songwriter Li have had the year's biggest single. Ronson previously finished at #7 in our top 10 for 2007 with 'Valerie', his #2 cover of The Zutons' hit with Amy Winehouse, whilst Li's previous biggest hit ('Little Bit', a top 30 hit in September 2008) failed to trouble our end of year chart at all.

He is also the third British born male artist in a row to claim the year's biggest single, following the triumphs of Ed Sheeran in 2017 and George Ezra in 2018, and the seventh male solo artist to do so this decade. And with strong showings for his August chart topper 'Find U Again' with Camila Cabello (5th for the year), 'Don't Leave Me Lonely' with Yebba (40th for the year, #3 in November) and 'Nothing Breaks Like a Heart' with Miley Cyrus (as high as #21 in January, and #99 for the year), he is also the year's biggest singles act on our chart by far.

However, his status as 2019's biggest single was run pretty close in the very final days of this year, thanks to 'Bing Bong Zoo', the surprise Christmas chart topper from Peppa Pig - currently spending its second week at the top of our weekly chart - which raced from nowhere to #3 in the space of four weeks according to our end of year figures. Had the clock ticked over just a couple of days more, it would also have usurped the biggest single of the year to not reach the top of our chart, 'Senőrita' by Shawn Mendes featuring Camila Cabello (the year’s top female solo act), which finishes the year at #2. It seems to be a position it will forever be associated with in years to come, as the summertime release spent five of its eleven weeks inside our top 10 locked down at #2, despite ultimately going onto perform better than the three records by Ronson and Cabello, Himesh Patel ('Yesterday', #8 for 2019) and Olly Murs ('Talking to Yourself / That Girl (Remix)', #18 for 2019) which kept it off the top.

The Peppa single wasn't the only one released in the final months of the year to make our end of year top 10. Strong performances from November and December chart toppers by Little Mix (#4, 'One I've Been Missing'), Dua Lipa (#6, 'Don't Start Now') and Jodie Whittaker (#10, 'Yellow') ensure that this is the most Q4 release heavy year end top 10 for a decade. Little Mix also have a lot to celebrate, as even though they released just one other new single over the course of this year - their June chart topper 'Bounce Back', #16 for the year – this combined with residual success of their 2018 hits ensure they are the year's top group where our singles chart is concerned, just snatching it away from Now United in the last few weeks of this year.

We've got this far without discussing in depth the average length of a number one hit this year. But the fact the total of chart toppers increased to 28 should be one clue that very few records managed lengthy stays at the summit this year compared to recent years. The only ones to spend as many as four weeks at number one were the two Ronson chart toppers, and Jonas Brothers' comeback single 'Sucker' in March, which was also one of only six records in the whole year to climb to number one rather than enter straight in. Jonas Brothers are also the year’s top all male group, just beating out Westlife, McFly and Busted, who all came back after hiatuses of various degrees of length with new material this year.

TOP 10 ARTISTS OF THE YEAR ON MY PERSONAL CHART

1. MARK RONSON
2. LITTLE MIX
3. NOW UNITED
4. JONAS BROTHERS
5. CAMILA CABELLO
6. OLLY MURS
7. WESTLIFE
8. MABEL
9. MCFLY
10. NIALL HORAN

Based on collective chart performance over the 52 chart weeks covering Friday 28th December 2018 - Thursday 26th December 2019.

MY BIGGEST SINGLE OF THE YEAR: 2018 - 2009

2018: George Ezra - Shotgun
2017: Ed Sheeran - Castle On The Hill
2016: Justin Timberlake - Can't Stop The Feeling
2015: Little Mix - Black Magic
2014: Pharrell Williams - Happy
2013: Daft Punk feat. Pharrell Williams - Get Lucky
2012: Emeli Sandé - Next To Me
2011: Bruno Mars - Grenade
2010: Owl City - Fireflies
2009: Little Boots - Stuck On Repeat
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
ThePensmith
post 31st December 2019, 12:44 PM
Post #2
Group icon
They've had the very Tunnocks, Mary
User: 13,208

THEPENSMITH'S TOP 10 SINGLES OF THE DECADE
© AM Limited 2010 - 2019

1. ED SHEERAN - Castle on the Hill (#1, 2017)

2. PHARRELL WILLIAMS - Happy (#1, 2014)
3. DAFT PUNK FEAT. PHARRELL WILLIAMS - Get Lucky (#1, 2013)
4. ED SHEERAN – Shape of You (#2, 2017)
5. ROBIN THICKE FEAT. PHARRELL WILLIAMS & T.I - Blurred Lines (#1, 2013)
6. GEORGE EZRA - Shotgun (#1, 2018)
7. JUSTIN TIMBERLAKE - Can't Stop The Feeling (#1, 2016)
8. LITTLE MIX - Black Magic (#1, 2015)
9. EMELI SANDÉ - Next to Me (#1, 2012)
10. CALVIN HARRIS FEAT. DUA LIPA - One Kiss (#1, 2018)

Compiled from my personal listening on physical, streaming and digital formats across the 520 chart weeks covering Friday 1st January 2010 - Friday 27th December 2019. Figures in brackets indicate song's peak position and the year it reached that peak.

END OF DECADE COMMENTARY

(pictured above) Ed Sheeran is our top artist of the decade – and Official Charts’ too

As it is the last year of the current decade, we’ve also compiled our top 10 biggest singles from the last ten years. Unsurprisingly, it is Ed Sheeran who emerges the victor from this particular survey. He spent more weeks at the top of our chart, and indeed, inside our chart than any other artist between 2010 and this year. In our overall top 100, his singles occupy just over a tenth of all available slots. The biggest of them all however is of course ‘Castle on the Hill’, his 2017 chart topper that spent the longest amount of time at the top for any single this decade – twelve weeks in all between January and March of that year.

‘Shape of You’, the single that was released in conjunction with ‘Castle...’ ahead of his last full studio album ‘Divide’, spent the same number of weeks locked behind it at #2, and finishes in fourth place for the decade. Of his other singles in our decade end figures, all but those singles which were released from his current album ‘No. 6 Collaborations Project’ (released back in June) are represented in our top 100, and the lowest placed of all his singles is his debut release ‘The A Team’, a top 3 hit in July 2011, which finishes in 41st place for the decade.

A very distant second to Ed is Pharrell Williams, this despite the fact the majority of his success came between 2013 and 2014, first on chart toppers for Daft Punk and Robin Thicke with T.I in 2013, and then on his own release ‘Happy’, a ten week chart topper from 2014 which led the decade list unbroken for two and a half years until Ed’s two 2017 singles came along. Residual sales of some of his other hits are enough to make Williams our second biggest singles act of the decade.

70% of our decade end top 10 is made up of male artists. The only female artists flying the flag are Little Mix – their three week 2015 chart topper ‘Black Magic’ finishing 8th for the last ten years – Emeli Sandé – her six week chart topper ‘Next to Me’ from February 2012 ending 9th for the decade – and Dua Lipa finishing 10th for the decade as part of her guest slot on Calvin Harris’ 2018 chart topper ‘One Kiss’. This is a sharp drop of 30% representation from the 00s, where the lead of the ladies was 60% to the males’ 40%.

Our decade end top 10 is also skewed to the latter eight years of this decade, as neither 2010 or 2011 are represented by a single here. Of the best performing from these years, Owl City’s five week chart topper from February 2010, ‘Fireflies’ is #13 for the decade whilst Bruno Mars’ ‘Grenade’, a three week January 2011 chart topper finishes 17th for the decade. Of this year’s singles (2019), ‘Late Night Feelings’ by Mark Ronson and Lykke Li is the top performer but is only able to finish in 12th for the 2010s.

+Quote this post
PeteFromLeeds
post 2nd January 2020, 08:52 PM
Post #3
Group icon
Buy yourself a car, and a house in Devon
User: 23,247

Hi! Here are my favourites from your list:

1. MARK RONSON FEAT. LYKKE LI - Late Night Feelings (#1, May) Nice choice of #1, a great track from both of them!
12. NIALL HORAN - Nice To Meet Ya (#1, October) My favourite of Niall's solo material I think!
19. NOW UNITED - All Day (#1, January) I remember listening to this on your chart (I believe) a while back, a really fun track!
28. AVICII FEAT. ALOE BLACC - SOS (#2, May) This was my mainstream song of this year so glad to see it appear here also
35. BASTILLE - Can't Fight This Feeling (#4, November) Another fab John Lewis single, makes me feel all Christmassy

Great list - interesting to have Castle on the Hill top of your decade also!

+Quote this post
Sergej
post 3rd January 2020, 01:37 PM
Post #4
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 39,723

Hello ThePenSmith!
Here are my favourites from your Year-End list:
18. OLLY MURS - Talking To Yourself / That Girl (#1, July)

And from your Decade-end top 10, I like all the songs on there!

Great lists!
Really enjoyed reading this!

+Quote this post
gooddelta
post 13th April 2020, 01:16 PM
Post #5
Group icon
Hello?
User: 116

Fantastic chart! Here are my faves:

4. LITTLE MIX - One I've Been Missing (#1, December)
6. DUA LIPA - Don't Start Now (#1, November) Such a great track, she's definitely my favourite popstar around at the moment
8. HIMESH PATEL - Yesterday (#1, July)
17. ALPHABEAT - I Don't Know What's Cool Anymore (#1, September)
23. THE VERONICAS - Think of Me (#1, April)
24. DJ SPOONY PRESENTS GARAGE CLASSICAL FEAT. SUGABABES - Flowers (#1, October)
26. ALPHABEAT - Shadows (#5, March)
31. BUSTED - Radio (#1, February) Their album was so good, one of my favourites of the year unexpectedly
35. BASTILLE - Can't Fight This Feeling (#4, November)
36. WESTLIFE - Better Man (#2, April) This was solid, but amazing how it sounds like it could have come out in 2000

Really solid, I need to check out the songs by Now United as I've enjoyed some of their earlier stuff.

+Quote this post

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 26th April 2024, 05:39 PM