BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> The Spanish Thread
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Steve201
post 29th October 2017, 06:50 PM
Post #21
Group icon
Shakin Stevens
User: 5,138

No surprise that a huge economic crisis 10 years before sparked the political unrest!
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Andrew.
post 2nd November 2017, 10:24 PM
Post #22
Group icon
is in hibernation
User: 21,161

This article explains some of the misconceptions about Catalonia/the constitution perfectly

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post 3rd November 2017, 01:06 PM
Post #23
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 17,376

No, the logic is flawed in that article.

The vote was not recognised by the Government and declared illegal, therefore any assumptions made on hypothetical scaling-up on percentages wanting independence is seriously flawed. Anyone who DIDN'T want indie and supported the government would have been largely inclined not to vote because it wasn't official and the result wouldnt be recognised as in any way official.

To make assumptions that over 50% WOULD HAVE voted for independence based on the proportion of votes counted that were not seized (regardless of whether turnout is 43% or 53%) is a biased convenient distortion of the reality.

The only accurate result would be an official referendum. failing that, the only way there can be a relatively accurate clearer picture of the result is to have elections and see what the turnout for pro-Indie parties is. I believe that is what is happening. Everyone can fairly vote for any party they democratically choose to, and the result will make it much clearer what the real attitude is.

+Quote this post
Long Dong Silver
post 3rd November 2017, 01:28 PM
Post #24
Group icon
Buffy/Charmed
User: 18,639

Besides, I am still a firm believer in the 60%+ rule in referendums

+Quote this post
vidcapper
post 3rd November 2017, 02:50 PM
Post #25
Group icon
Paul Hyett
User: 364

QUOTE(Buttered Muffin @ Nov 3 2017, 01:28 PM) *

Better that than a turnout threshold, as the latter allows opponents to 'sabotage' any referendum by simply boycotting it.

+Quote this post
Andrew.
post 3rd November 2017, 08:15 PM
Post #26
Group icon
is in hibernation

QUOTE(Buttered Muffin @ Nov 3 2017, 03:28 PM) *

That's called fixing the referendum.

+Quote this post
Suedehead2
post 3rd November 2017, 08:32 PM
Post #27
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 3,272

QUOTE(REPUTATION @ Nov 3 2017, 08:15 PM) *
That's called fixing the referendum.

No it isn't. If the referendum is about something that will be difficult to reverse (e.g declaring independence or leaving the EU) it is perfectly reasonable to say that support for the measure needs to be higher than 50% plus one. It is standard practice in many countries or organisations to require more than a simple majority to make a constitutional change.

+Quote this post
Suedehead2
post 3rd November 2017, 08:32 PM
Post #28
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 3,272

QUOTE(vidcapper @ Nov 3 2017, 02:50 PM) *
Better that than a turnout threshold, as the latter allows opponents to 'sabotage' any referendum by simply boycotting it.

I hadn't noticed you agreeing with the criticisms of the government's changes to the rules on strike ballots.

+Quote this post
Andrew.
post 3rd November 2017, 08:40 PM
Post #29
Group icon
is in hibernation

QUOTE(Suedehead2 @ Nov 3 2017, 10:32 PM) *
No it isn't. If the referendum is about something that will be difficult to reverse (e.g declaring independence or leaving the EU) it is perfectly reasonable to say that support for the measure needs to be higher than 50% plus one. It is standard practice in many countries or organisations to require more than a simple majority to make a constitutional change.

People can spin it whatever way they like but you're still faced with a situation with a majority of the people being ignored, a vote of almost 60% or 65% being lost is an affront to democracy

+Quote this post
Long Dong Silver
post 3rd November 2017, 09:22 PM
Post #30
Group icon
Buffy/Charmed
User: 18,639

How so? A major change should be agreed upon by more than a teeny tiny majority, as THAT is an affront to democracy and forces nearly 50% of the ecltorate onto a path they did not choose. That is not democratic, it is just mob rule. A 65% threshold to win is MORE than fair for sweeping change.

+Quote this post
Silas
post 3rd November 2017, 09:44 PM
Post #31
Group icon
Queen of Soon
User: 3,474

I support Catalonia's right to chose it's future (shock horror) but this farce has arisen because both sides have been f***ing morons. Sending the Federal Police in should have drawn condemnation from every human. That the EU chose to stay silent was disappointing, but not surprising given it's history on not commenting on internal matters. The atrocity should have cast aside that particular unspoken rule.

The Spanish government should have had proper discussions on a legal vote with Catalonia with the appropriate democratic safeguards and standards. Reports are that the union option would have won comfortably. The Catalan government pushed ahead with their plan to get a rise out of Madrid and many of their own citizens were injured as a direct consequence of that needless escalation.

+Quote this post
Andrew.
post 3rd November 2017, 09:52 PM
Post #32
Group icon
is in hibernation

QUOTE(5 Silas Frøkner @ Nov 3 2017, 11:44 PM) *
I support Catalonia's right to chose it's future (shock horror) but this farce has arisen because both sides have been f***ing morons. Sending the Federal Police in should have drawn condemnation from every human. That the EU chose to stay silent was disappointing, but not surprising given it's history on not commenting on internal matters. The atrocity should have cast aside that particular unspoken rule.

The Spanish government should have had proper discussions on a legal vote with Catalonia with the appropriate democratic safeguards and standards. Reports are that the union option would have won comfortably. The Catalan government pushed ahead with their plan to get a rise out of Madrid and many of their own citizens were injured as a direct consequence of that needless escalation.

The Catalonian government were entitled to hold a referendum, they won an election on that promise and Spain refused. As showed in the article I previously posted, any form of change to the Spanish constitution is basically impossible so if they wanted to respect the will of the people they had no choice but to 'break the law', not that how things went from Catalonia were the way they should've but Spain needs to

I've received a lot of questioning of this by other SNP supporters/pro EU people on twitter but this has made me greatly considered my EU support, the likes of Merkel, Macron and Jean Cluade Junker coming out in favour of Spain imposing itself on the people of Catalonia was incredibly disappointing. The EU have had the chance to say this shouldn't be happening, this is an affront to democracy but they haven't and have let social democrats and the Catalonian people down.

+Quote this post
Doctor Blind
post 3rd November 2017, 10:10 PM
Post #33
Group icon
#38BBE0 otherwise known as 'sky blue'
User: 7,561

I'd agree with others here that a 2/3rds majority (or Supermajority) should really be mandatory for referendums that are for important constitutional changes such as independence.

The only solution to this mess would have been for the Spanish government and the now former Catalan government to conduct talks which would hopefully lead towards a legal, fair and proper referendum on independence just like the 2014 one for Scotland.

+Quote this post
Andrew.
post 3rd November 2017, 10:13 PM
Post #34
Group icon
is in hibernation

QUOTE(Doctor Blind @ Nov 4 2017, 12:10 AM) *
I'd agree with others here that a 2/3rds majority (or Supermajority) should really be mandatory for referendums that are for important constitutional changes such as independence.

The only solution to this mess would have been for the Spanish government and the now former Catalan government to conduct talks which would hopefully lead towards a legal, fair and proper referendum on independence just like the 2014 one for Scotland.

Up to 66% of the voters being ignored is absurd. This seems to be the new favoured option amongst the hardcore scottish unionist side sad.gif

+Quote this post
Oliver
post 3rd November 2017, 10:39 PM
Post #35
Group icon
Buzzjack's Finest Alcoholic.
User: 15,367

What would you suggest then Andrew? I also agree that for such massive changes there needs to be more than a simple majority, 2/3rds seems about right.

+Quote this post
Andrew.
post 3rd November 2017, 10:58 PM
Post #36
Group icon
is in hibernation

QUOTE(Oliver @ Nov 4 2017, 12:39 AM) *
What would you suggest then Andrew? I also agree that for such massive changes there needs to be more than a simple majority, 2/3rds seems about right.

Why though? That's basically saying that the people can't be trusted and are stupid (which is POSSIBLE but very patronizing) and to say that up to 67% of them could be ignored against 33 is incredibly undemoratic and I can't see how anyone couldn't think this. The government of this country is a huge change but no one says the winning party needs 2/3rds of seats or votes, and I think Suedy made the point about elections being different because you can kick out governments, there's been a lot of talk of a second referendum for Brexit and particularly Indy

Tbh a lot of the talk about there having to be a benchmark in terms of vote seems very politically motivated (a lot of people against Scottish independence are very for it, a lot of people against Brexit) and btw I despite Brexit

+Quote this post
Doctor Blind
post 3rd November 2017, 11:04 PM
Post #37
Group icon

50/50 implies a divided nation, either side of that you have a bit of a grey area and then from about 66.6/33.3 you have a clear majority or mandate IMO.

Within that grey area you have enough evidence to support further votes in the future, which will likely happen with Scottish independence in the next decade or so.

+Quote this post
Andrew.
post 3rd November 2017, 11:09 PM
Post #38
Group icon
is in hibernation

QUOTE(Doctor Blind @ Nov 4 2017, 01:04 AM) *
50/50 implies a divided nation, either side of that you have a bit of a grey area and then from about 66.6/33.3 you have a clear majority or mandate IMO.

Within that grey area you have enough evidence to support further votes in the future, which will likely happen with Scottish independence in the next decade or so.

Perhaps but that doesn't mean you have to outlaw the vote. Keep options open and keep responsibilities on the table for the future but deliver the majority vote. It has been quite hilarious to see all the Unionist-left who lambasted the SNP after Indy Ref 1 for even raising the topic of a ''divisive'' 2nd referendum all for this :')

Under that system then no political party for many years, possibly ever has had a clear mandate, even Nicola in 2015/16 and Blair in 97/01 laugh.gif

+Quote this post
Doctor Blind
post 3rd November 2017, 11:14 PM
Post #39
Group icon

QUOTE(REPUTATION @ Nov 3 2017, 11:09 PM) *
Perhaps but that doesn't mean you have to outlaw the vote. Keep options open and keep responsibilities on the table for the future but deliver the majority vote. It has been quite hilarious to see all the Unionist-left who lambasted the SNP after Indy Ref 1 for even raising the topic of a ''divisive'' 2nd referendum all for this :')

Under that system then no political party for many years, possibly ever has had a clear mandate, even Nicola in 2015/16 and Blair in 97/01 laugh.gif

Well a referendum is completely different. First off there are only 2 options on the ballot paper!

The Scottish devolution referendum in 1997 got a 74.29% Yes vote so it is possible to implement a 2/3rds majority rule and still get major constitutional change.

+Quote this post
Andrew.
post 3rd November 2017, 11:18 PM
Post #40
Group icon
is in hibernation

QUOTE(Doctor Blind @ Nov 4 2017, 01:14 AM) *
Well a referendum is completely different. First off there are only 2 options on the ballot paper!

The Scottish devolution referendum in 1997 got a 74.29% Yes vote so it is possible to implement a 2/3rds majority rule and still get major constitutional change.

Not impossible but very difficult, I'm fairly sure that's the only case? As I said I'm not completely dismissing your arguments, I think if it is a close vote then all options need to be kept on the table for the future but the first thing that should be done is implement the majority vote as that's the only really fair way!

+Quote this post

6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 25th April 2024, 12:44 AM