BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
> 
3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Popularity of Christmas songs over time, Which songs got more popular, which got less etc
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
BillyH
post 2nd December 2016, 01:21 AM
Post #21
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 6,614

Have a look, 3:30 onwards:

In theory you could use some digital editing to 'zoom in' on just the band for the last few seconds, but given the camera's zooming out at the same time (eventually focusing on just the presenter) it's a bit too much hassle to be necessary, particularly given (as mentioned) there's plenty of other live performances of the song available.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
btljs
post 2nd December 2016, 02:22 AM
Post #22
Group icon
BuzzJack Climber
User: 22,084

QUOTE(Emperor Blizzard @ Dec 2 2016, 01:00 AM) *
Sorry never saw the recording.

Would that be the same with every number 1 for a show where that presenter presented, or are there times when he appeared only at the start and the end when presenting, so it could be edited?

Are we not even allowed to say his name, like Voldemort?

+Quote this post
BillyH
post 2nd December 2016, 02:32 AM
Post #23
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 6,614

QUOTE(Brett-Butler @ Dec 1 2016, 10:25 PM) *
"Another Rock & Roll Christmas" suddenly got a lot less popular after 1997 for some reason.

The amazing thing is that I swear there was a performance of that on Blue Peter years after the whole Glitter situation kicked off, with the presenters singing it - seems absolutely astonishing now but the song didn't suddenly disappear overnight back in '97, it was only later on in the noughties it completely vanished from radio and TV once further upsetting news about the singer emerged.

I've never been able to find a clip of it (the BBC probably wouldn't be too happy if it appeared on Youtube!) but looking at their Radio Times archive, I'm pretty sure this is it, Christmas 2001:

8.10 Blue Peter - a Rock 'n' Roll Christmas: The team get into the festive spirit with a pantomime rock 'n' roll extravaganza set in 1958. Shown last Friday (S) (W)

Seem to recall it was a musical with all the cast singing Christmas songs and the Glitter track being the main one! Presumably now quietly deleted from the archives.

I do like Another Rock & Roll Christmas, and have wondered in the past if one day someone will cover it so it can return to the Christmas canon again, but I think it's a given that absolutely no artist will go near it given the inevitable media furore.

+Quote this post
danG
post 2nd December 2016, 09:04 AM
Post #24
Group icon
🔥🚀🔥
User: 11,746

'Lonely This Christmas' (Mud) seems to be a lot less popular now also.

+Quote this post
TheSnake
post 2nd December 2016, 11:11 AM
Post #25
Group icon
Say that hiss with your chest, and...
User: 23,308

QUOTE(BillyH @ Dec 2 2016, 02:32 AM) *
The amazing thing is that I swear there was a performance of that on Blue Peter years after the whole Glitter situation kicked off, with the presenters singing it - seems absolutely astonishing now but the song didn't suddenly disappear overnight back in '97, it was only later on in the noughties it completely vanished from radio and TV once further upsetting news about the singer emerged.

I've never been able to find a clip of it (the BBC probably wouldn't be too happy if it appeared on Youtube!) but looking at their Radio Times archive, I'm pretty sure this is it, Christmas 2001:
Seem to recall it was a musical with all the cast singing Christmas songs and the Glitter track being the main one! Presumably now quietly deleted from the archives.

I do like Another Rock & Roll Christmas, and have wondered in the past if one day someone will cover it so it can return to the Christmas canon again, but I think it's a given that absolutely no artist will go near it given the inevitable media furore.

I heard a cover of Rock And Roll Christmas being played at a Starbucks in my university when I was going in to get a tea in Christmas 2013. It was part of a Christmas covers compilation. Was shocked to hear it. I am guessing none of the staff there knew it was part of the compliation.

+Quote this post
danG
post 2nd December 2016, 11:37 AM
Post #26
Group icon
🔥🚀🔥

Rock And Roll Christmas used to be part of the family Xmas playlist for us actually for quite a few years, until my parents realised it was Gary Glitter. (It was on an old Xmas compilation)

+Quote this post
richie
post 2nd December 2016, 12:00 PM
Post #27
Group icon
Poet and Storyteller
User: 166

QUOTE(BillyH @ Dec 1 2016, 10:43 PM) *
The 'video' of Merry Xmas Everybody I always used to see on music channels looked 1980s and from European television (maybe Germany?), the band looked a lot older and were obviously miming, as the drummer starts randomly bashing the drums over the pre-recorded soundtrack at the end. I've also seen a more recently-edited version of the same clip where they've made it widescreen and overdubbed the original studio soundtrack over the top, missing the mad live drumming.

I really like this one. Chrissie Hynde can also be seen dancing around with a Slade banner and some blonde-haired bloke (maybe a European presenter) gets loads of camera time. Anyone know who he is?

Slade's recent demise is a real shame, it was the biggest Christmas record for years. Nobody ever plays Johnny Mathis or Mike Oldfield any more either although Greg Lake seems to have become popular again.

+Quote this post
richie
post 2nd December 2016, 12:00 PM
Post #28
Group icon
Poet and Storyteller

Oh and I guess the Christmas number one of 1969 won't get played any more either.

+Quote this post
richie
post 2nd December 2016, 12:03 PM
Post #29
Group icon
Poet and Storyteller

QUOTE(BillyH @ Dec 2 2016, 01:21 AM) *
Have a look, 3:30 onwards:

Aye, always liked this one too. They showed a very short clip of it on Christmas Top of the Pops in 1990 (I think) when they were running through some of the previous Xmas number ones. Strangely they stopped the clip immediately before Voldemort could be seen dancing - maybe they knew even back then?

+Quote this post
gooddelta
post 2nd December 2016, 12:35 PM
Post #30
Group icon
Hello?
User: 116

'Another Rock N Roll Christmas' was part of the medley of Jive Bunny's Xmas-themed No.1 hit too...I believe it has since been edited out in favour of extending the Wizzard/Slade parts on any copies you can find of the track available for sale these days.

This post has been edited by gooddelta: 2nd December 2016, 12:35 PM

+Quote this post
Robbie
post 2nd December 2016, 01:03 PM
Post #31
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 366

QUOTE(richie @ Dec 2 2016, 12:00 PM) *
Oh and I guess the Christmas number one of 1969 won't get played any more either.
Indeed. 'Two Little Boys' will be seldom played thee days...

+Quote this post
TheSnake
post 2nd December 2016, 01:06 PM
Post #32
Group icon

QUOTE(gooddelta @ Dec 2 2016, 12:35 PM) *
'Another Rock N Roll Christmas' was part of the medley of Jive Bunny's Xmas-themed No.1 hit too...I believe it has since been edited out in favour of extending the Wizzard/Slade parts on any copies you can find of the track available for sale these days.

I was looking at the 1990 chart archive yesterday and Jive Bunny's presence in the top 10 one of the weeks seems weird, was there a 70s nostalgia thing going on in the 90s (like the 80s one in the 00s and the 90s one this decade)

This post has been edited by Emperor Blizzard: 2nd December 2016, 01:06 PM

+Quote this post
Robbie
post 2nd December 2016, 01:08 PM
Post #33
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 366

QUOTE(Steve201 @ Dec 1 2016, 11:33 PM) *
Yeh the 1984 chart was when record labels seemed to realise the potential of the seasonal record which was around 10 years after the first modern Xmas pop songs were released in Britain (Slade vs Wizzard) so I guess that's why.

On Another Rock and Roll - I love it and still listen to it each year and don't care ��

From guessing the 1984 chart had the following Xmas tracks in the top 40 -

Band Aid
Wham
Queen Thank God it's Christmas
Gary Glitter
Paul McCarthey The frog song
Frankie goes to Hollywood (no1 the week before band aid I think??)
What a chart that week in December 1984 was! Plus Christmas party songs like 'Nellie The Elephant' and non-Christmas songs like the excellent 'Like A Virgin' and 'One Night In Bangkok'. What a chart!

+Quote this post
TheSnake
post 2nd December 2016, 01:08 PM
Post #34
Group icon

QUOTE(Robbie @ Dec 2 2016, 01:03 PM) *
Indeed. 'Two Little Boys' will be seldom played thee days...

The original was made in 1902, (by Theodore Morse and Edward Madden), well before the singer of the 1969 version was born, so that version might still be played.

There are also a few later cover versions too.

But I suppose the association of the song with the 1969 singer is a bit of a put-off now.

This post has been edited by Emperor Blizzard: 2nd December 2016, 01:13 PM

+Quote this post
Mack.
post 2nd December 2016, 01:12 PM
Post #35
Group icon
It's still will be the return of the Mack 4eva
User: 12,915

Someone actually performed that last year 'Rock n Roll Christmas' at a pub I went to. It was part of their set, no complaints from anyone amazingly

+Quote this post
danG
post 2nd December 2016, 01:14 PM
Post #36
Group icon
🔥🚀🔥

QUOTE(Emperor Blizzard @ Dec 2 2016, 01:06 PM) *
I was looking at the 1990 chart archive yesterday and Jive Bunny's presence in the top 10 one of the weeks seems weird, was there a 70s nostalgia thing going on in the 90s (like the 80s one in the 00s and the 90s one this decade)
Jive Bunny were more capitalising on 50s nostalgia than anything.

Jive Bunny was at its peak in 1989, and their biggest hit 'Swing The Mood' was a 50s throwback. Their follow up 'That's What I Like' was also 50s although some early 60s songs used as well. 'Let's Party' is the odd one really using 70s songs (Slade/Gary Glitter/Wizzard being used, although they edited the Glitter bit out for the download/streaming release).

+Quote this post
The Hit Parade
post 2nd December 2016, 01:14 PM
Post #37
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 18,521

Jive Bunny were just phenomenally successful for a few months in 1989-90. Most of their hits were based on songs from 50s and 60s, but there presumably weren't enough well-known Christmas records from that era so they went with two from the Seventies and one from the Eighties.

Last time I heard the GG song was in the Christmas market at the Royal Maritime Museum a couple of years ago, maybe 2013. It was obviously being played off come old compilation CD and I don't think many of the people there knew what it was.

+Quote this post
Mack.
post 2nd December 2016, 01:15 PM
Post #38
Group icon
It's still will be the return of the Mack 4eva
User: 12,915

Is it available on iTunes, 'Rock n Roll Christmas' just out of interest not that I would buy it.

+Quote this post
danG
post 2nd December 2016, 01:18 PM
Post #39
Group icon
🔥🚀🔥

QUOTE(Mack @ Dec 2 2016, 01:15 PM) *
Is it available on iTunes, 'Rock n Roll Christmas' just out of interest not that I would buy it.

You can buy it yes. It's not on any of the big Christmas compilations though, understandably.

+Quote this post
richie
post 2nd December 2016, 01:45 PM
Post #40
Group icon
Poet and Storyteller

Up until about 5 years ago there were animatronic creatures in the local shopping centre in Aberdeen who would "sing" in synch to a backing tape. I'm not sure how old the tape was but they too were singing along to Another Rock n Roll Christmas well past the point they should have been.

+Quote this post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 26th April 2024, 08:18 AM