BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Your Favourite Solo Debut Album?
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Solo Debut Albums!
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total Votes: 41
Guests cannot vote 
Anita Hanjaab
post Mar 23 2018, 01:14 PM
Post #21
Buffy/Charmed
Group: Members
Member No.: 18,639
   No Gallery Pics

@

Hoe, Mel C is by FAR the better singer

Ok, she hasn't really evolved, that's fair, although she DID evolve into Grunge Spice.

She had the potential to be their Robbie. Emma um did not.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Mr.X
post Mar 23 2018, 02:34 PM
Post #22
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 39,587
   No Gallery Pics

Grunge Spice isn't a thing. Goin Down is a pop record and to be honest the only attempt she did at being 'rocky' but it is never been Grunge or anything like that. It is pop and even she admitted afterwards that she is a pop singer, not a rock one.

Now what I find interesting is that you say she had the potential - yes, to a certain extent because even though she continued to work as a music-maker, she didnt evolve so the potential is hard to pin-point, other than she had tallent that she didnt develop. That's different from having potential.

+Quote Post
McAndrew
post Mar 23 2018, 03:13 PM
Post #23
BuzzJack Enthusiast
Member No.: 39,551
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Mr.X @ Mar 23 2018, 09:52 AM) *
Northern Star is the best debut, but not, BY A CLEAR MILE, the best solo album. It is probably the most special one for the general fans due to sentimental value (the most successful solo album at the hight of the solo careers, Mel C's first, and the fact that it had a great production team and most tracks are good) but when it comes down to it, it is not really anything new...

That honour belongs to Free Me, followed by Life in Mono as the best and most original of albums. And Emma is clearly the better singer and lyricist. Like, Mel C hasn't developed AT ALL since Northern Star and you can see that NS was indeed very good because it had top notch producers. Emma managed to grow, develop and create something special with limited budgets.

You make some interesting points.

Melanie C is, of course, a very talented singer. Her power and range are incredible.

To my ear, Emma has a softer, sweeter, less-abrasive tone. That's just my opinion.

With more appropriate collaborators, her debut could've been much stronger. 'Free Me' demonstrates that.

I think Emma was underestimated by Virgin. So we got one great single and mediocre debut album.

+Quote Post
Anita Hanjaab
post Mar 23 2018, 04:13 PM
Post #24
Buffy/Charmed
Member No.: 18,639
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Mr.X @ Mar 23 2018, 02:34 PM) *
Grunge Spice isn't a thing. Goin Down is a pop record and to be honest the only attempt she did at being 'rocky' but it is never been Grunge or anything like that. It is pop and even she admitted afterwards that she is a pop singer, not a rock one.

Now what I find interesting is that you say she had the potential - yes, to a certain extent because even though she continued to work as a music-maker, she didnt evolve so the potential is hard to pin-point, other than she had tallent that she didnt develop. That's different from having potential.

She became Grunge Spice with her second album. She needed to continue with pop bops. Google Grunge Spice and you'll see.

+Quote Post
Voodoo
post Mar 23 2018, 04:36 PM
Post #25
BuzzJack Gold Member
Group: Banned
Member No.: 5,829
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Mr.X @ Mar 23 2018, 11:52 AM) *
Northern Star is the best debut ... but when it comes down to it, it is not really anything new...

Yet you have the nerve to claim that Emma rehashing 60's music & covers was something original & new. LMAO wacko.gif

And Emma is clearly the better singer and lyricist.

Clearly, it's your BIASED opinion. Not a fact.

Like, Mel C hasn't developed AT ALL since Northern Star.

Cut the bullshit, please. Melanie has dabbled in every genre of music possible. She has done it all since then - rock, pop, dance, r&b, electronic, musical theater, etc.

Emma managed to grow, develop and create something special with limited budgets.

The Sea says 'Hello!'. No matter the budget, small or big, Melanie has managed to put out terrific music, because she has the required skills, talent & creativity. She has IT.

You keep living your (false) truth my love, you do that teresa.gif

No, it's YOU that lives in denial, sis. rolleyes.gif

This post has been edited by Voodoo: Mar 23 2018, 04:37 PM

+Quote Post
Mr.X
post Mar 23 2018, 08:58 PM
Post #26
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 39,587
   No Gallery Pics

Honestly, not here trying to pick a fight, I am just giving HOME TRUTHS cool.gif

The fact that Mel C has tried different genres doesn't make her good at them - it just means that she tried various things. But was she good at them? That is debatable. You can say that you enjoy it, but when it comes to artistic value, Im affraid she is sinceraly lacking in that department.

cheer.gif angel.gif

This post has been edited by Mr.X: Mar 23 2018, 09:01 PM

+Quote Post
Padamic Tension
post Mar 23 2018, 09:43 PM
Post #27
BuzzJack Idol
Member No.: 845
   No Gallery Pics

'Northern Star' - Melanie C but overall Reason By Mel C is my favorite solo Spice Girls album.

+Quote Post
engineer
post Mar 25 2018, 01:05 AM
Post #28
New Entry
Member No.: 40,315
   No Gallery Pics

1. Schizophonic heart.gif
2. VB (Why is it so underrated?)
3. Hot
4. Northern Star (Why is it so overrated?)
5. A Girl Like Me

+Quote Post
Piers
post Mar 31 2018, 10:05 PM
Post #29
BuzzJack Regular
Member No.: 69,521
   No Gallery Pics

Northern Star. I still love it. Go!, NS, Goin Down, ITTY, NBTSA, GaGa, and Closer were all worthy of being hit singles...and I even think Suddenly Monday and Be the One could've made for decent double A sides just because they deserve to be heard. Mel C was killing it during that time. Even the b-sides were amazing.

The rest of the albums for me would go...Schizophonic, A Girl Like Me, VB, Hot.

I'll say this, though. I like I Want You Back, Tell Me, and Feels So Good better than anything off A Girl Like Me or VB. I love those three songs. Always did. The latter two really deserved to be bigger. But a lot of Hot really let Mel B down. Stuff like Hell No and ABC 123 couldn't have been more generic. Mel's personality was so big, she didn't need to have such anonymous songs that could have been sung by literally anyone.

+Quote Post
Eduardo
post Apr 1 2018, 01:52 PM
Post #30
BuzzJack Climber
Member No.: 5,804
   No Gallery Pics

I used to love VB back in the day, but this album nowadays sounds really awful.
Northern Star tracks are really strong, but as a whole, the album is so messy.

Schizophonic is the best for me, not just for the songs themselves, but for the way the tracks flow and how Geri's personality is written all over the tracks.

+Quote Post
Blond 2.0
post Apr 1 2018, 06:48 PM
Post #31
BuzzJack Enthusiast
Member No.: 39,576
   No Gallery Pics

When it comes to who's the best songwriter it's between Geri & Mel C . But for me Mel C is the best songwriter and Northern Star is the best Solo debut album .

+Quote Post
Hide&Seek
post Aug 3 2018, 10:45 PM
Post #32
BuzzJack Enthusiast
Member No.: 3,500
   No Gallery Pics

1 Schizophonic (In A Bubble is a bit crap, but everything else is marvellous, as were the bonus tracks on singles).
2 Victoria Beckham (bought yrs later in a bargain bin, expecting to hate it, but I really like it) especially IOU.
3 A Girl Like Me (bought even more yrs later)

4 Hot (Feels So Good is excellent. Lullaby ok if a bit sickly. Everything else to be avoided).

+Quote Post
Padamic Tension
post Aug 4 2018, 12:10 AM
Post #33
BuzzJack Idol
Member No.: 845
   No Gallery Pics

Victoria's album isn't bad at all and it wrongly gets slated by many. Mel c really nailed her northern star era.

+Quote Post
ThePensmith
post Aug 4 2018, 10:06 AM
Post #34
They've had the very Tunnocks, Mary
Member No.: 13,208
   No Gallery Pics

'Northern Star' for me, still really love that album - although I have relistened to 'Schizophonic' with fresh ears this last year and that for me is the best Geri got solo. Actually there are some songs on there ('Let Me Love You', 'You're In A Bubble') which should've been singles more than the ones that ended up getting released.

+Quote Post
EmilyDamen
post Aug 5 2018, 09:57 PM
Post #35
New Entry
Member No.: 22,698
   No Gallery Pics

Northern Star by far! As for me there are a lot of great songs on that album like Go!, Northern Star, Goin Down, I Turn To You, Ga Ga etc But I also like Schizophonic by Geri as there are also a lot of great songs on that album as well and Hot by Melanie B also has one or two great songs on that album as well as Emma Bunton with A Girl Like Me but Victoria's solo album only has 1 or 2 songs on there in which I like.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 07:18 PM