BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
7 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> RESULTS - Indie/Alternative Album of Buzzjack's Lifetime, RESULTS - Tonight from 8PM
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Colm
post 23rd March 2016, 07:17 PM
Post #1
Group icon
Yes, it's me.
User: 9,885

Here it is. The chart of Buzzjack's Lifetime. The best long players according to you.

21 of you in total, casting over 9,000 votes spread across 334 albums.

I'll be presenting the Top 40 - sometimes with a little personal commentary and other times just info stolen from the internet.

Tonight I hope to get from 40 to 11. Top 10 tomorrow evening.

Some hints

- Only one artist has 3 albums in the 40.
- Another 4 have 2 albums each.
- The other 29 have only 1 album each.
- We have 2 Mercury Prize wining albums.
- And 9 other nominees.
- Our top 10 features 5 British acts, one Canadian and three American (spot the mathematical implication there?)

Predix?

This post has been edited by Colm: 23rd March 2016, 07:58 PM
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Cremey
post 23rd March 2016, 07:55 PM
Post #2
Group icon
on a bench in coney island
User: 4,089

Thinking Arcade Fire will appear with at least 'The Suburbs' and 'Reflektor', maybe 'Neon Bible' too? Definitely at least two though! Not sure who else could have three entries...Marina maybe?

Hoping 'Kala' is high!

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post 23rd March 2016, 07:55 PM
Post #3
Group icon
I'm a paragon so don't perceive me
User: 12,929

I'd put The Suburbs as my tip for the win. Seems to be the sort of thing that will appeal to lots of people here.

+Quote this post
Cremey
post 23rd March 2016, 07:57 PM
Post #4
Group icon
on a bench in coney island
User: 4,089

Bloc Party will probably have two entries as well (maybe wishful thinking!)?
I agree re 'The Suburbs', I could see that winning too. Would be a great winner!

+Quote this post
Colm
post 23rd March 2016, 07:59 PM
Post #5
Group icon
Yes, it's me.

I'm saying nuffink!

+Quote this post
Colm
post 23rd March 2016, 08:04 PM
Post #6
Group icon
Yes, it's me.

The Pains of Being Pure at Heart is the self-titled debut album by the New York indie pop band The Pains of Being Pure at Heart, released on February 3, 2009. The album was recorded at Honeyland Studios in Brooklyn, New York, and was mixed by Archie Moore. The album was released to generally warm critical reception. First pressing of vinyl is black with a limited edition in white. Second pressing of the vinyl is clear. The third pressing is black & white swirl.

The album's sound has been compared to My Bloody Valentine, Ride, The Field Mice and The Jesus and Mary Chain.

...by that description...it's a bit shoe-gazey with excessive use of effects pedals.

+Quote this post
dandy*
post 23rd March 2016, 08:07 PM
Post #7
Group icon
Mansonette
User: 54

Oh actually that is a good album - even if it is one I forgot all about!

(expect me to use this post regularly)

This post has been edited by dandy*: 23rd March 2016, 08:07 PM

+Quote this post
Colm
post 23rd March 2016, 08:08 PM
Post #8
Group icon
Yes, it's me.

Bloc Party worked to craft an album that distanced them from the conventional guitar band set-up by incorporating more electronically processed beats and additional instrumentation. Computer programs were extensively used to enrich and amend recorded takes, while a string sextet was hired to perform on some of the tracks. The subject matter of frontman and chief lyricist Kele Okereke's lyrics for A Weekend in the City covers issues such as drug use, sexuality, and terrorism. The album's three original singles, "The Prayer", "I Still Remember", and "Hunting for Witches", address these themes respectively.

Bloc Party's new musical directions and more forthright lyrics either impressed or alienated critics. Reviewers generally treated A Weekend in the City as an important stepping stone for the band members in their quest for musical maturity, while The Guardian included it in its list of the "1000 Albums To Hear Before You Die". In November 2007, the album was re-released globally—with the final single, "Flux", as a bonus track—to coincide with Bloc Party's extensive touring schedule.

Awkward second album from the almost too clever for their own good Bloc Party. Leading with The Prayer and following with rather tame I Still Remember wrong footed a lot of earlier fans. A valiant attempt to stoke the fire lit by Silent Alarm in third single Hunting for Witches brought a few back to the fold. Ultimately a very good album that took time to reveal it's strengths.

This post has been edited by Colm: 23rd March 2016, 08:13 PM

+Quote this post
dandy*
post 23rd March 2016, 08:11 PM
Post #9
Group icon
Mansonette

The Prayer is pretty much my favourite Bloc Party single, it's excellent. That album is okay but not as good as what preceded it or immediately followed it.

+Quote this post
Colm
post 23rd March 2016, 08:11 PM
Post #10
Group icon
Yes, it's me.

Carrie & Lowell is the seventh studio album by American musician Sufjan Stevens, released through Asthmatic Kitty on March 31, 2015. Unlike Stevens's previous studio album, the electronic The Age of Adz, Carrie & Lowell is sparsely instrumental and marks a return to the performer's indie folk roots. The album was given a one-week preview on NPR.

The album was released to high critical acclaim, with many critics calling it Stevens' best. Carrie & Lowell has gone on to be considered as one of the best albums of 2015.

To my on going shame I have still not really given this guy the time he deserves. That may all change soon.

+Quote this post
HarryBorelli
post 23rd March 2016, 08:18 PM
Post #11
Group icon
The Lady Said Go Home!
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 20,835

Bloc Party cheer.gif

+Quote this post
Colm
post 23rd March 2016, 08:18 PM
Post #12
Group icon
Yes, it's me.

Fantasies is the fourth studio album by Canadian indie rock band Metric. It was released on April 7, 2009. In the U.S. it debuted at No. 1 on Billboard's Top Heatseekers, and peaked at No. 76 on the Billboard 200. In Canada it debuted at No. 13 on the Canadian Albums Chart and peaked at No. 6. In Australia, the album debuted at No. 48.

The first single release from the album, "Help I'm Alive", was added to the iTunes Store on December 23, 2008 in Canada. The single is also available on 7" vinyl from their website, and was available on their "Jingle Bell Rock" tour in December 2008. On February 13, 2009, the album cover's image was added to the song "Help, I'm Alive" on their MySpace playlist. On February 28, 2009, the band added the song "Gimme Sympathy" to their MySpace playlist.

The album was available through their website, in vinyl, deluxe hardcover, digital, or deluxe bundle packages. There was a Limited Edition Package available at first that was limited to 500 copies, which has now sold out.

For the life of me, I cannot remember if I like Metric or not. With a name like that I think I probably should.

+Quote this post
Colm
post 23rd March 2016, 08:23 PM
Post #13
Group icon
Yes, it's me.

Meds is the fifth studio album by English alternative rock band Placebo. It was recorded from late 2005 to early 2006 and released on 13 March 2006 by record label Virgin in most countries, although it was released three days earlier in Australia and New Zealand. Illegal copies had previously been available on the Internet since 17 January 2006.

Speaking to Kerrang! in June 2009, Brian Molko remembered: "This was the beginning of the end of the band [drummer Steve Hewitt left after its release] and the way we dealt with that was by anaesthetizing ourselves to the max. When Stef and I hear tracks from the album we look at each other and go, 'Erm… who played what on this song?' There are moments on there like "[In the] Cold Light of Morning," that are painful to listen to now. I don't know that we've ever been that down before. I think it's a very powerful record, emotionally, and despite the circumstances under which it was made, it's quite perfectly executed. It's just very dark and doesn't offer very much hope.

Definitely a lot better than I was expecting after the terrible Sleeping With Ghosts (apart from The Bitter End wub.gif )

+Quote this post
Colm
post 23rd March 2016, 08:29 PM
Post #14
Group icon
Yes, it's me.

Honeymoon is the fourth studio album and third major-label record by American singer and songwriter Lana Del Rey. It was released on September 18, 2015, by UMG Recordings, and was co-produced by Del Rey alongside longtime collaborators Rick Nowels and Kieron Menzies.

Upon release, Honeymoon received positive reviews from music critics.[1][2] The album debuted at number two on the US Billboard 200, selling 116,000 units in first week, and peaking at number one in Australia, Greece and Ireland. The album was supported by the release of three singles: "High by the Beach", "Music to Watch Boys To", and "Freak"

I should really listen to this. I reckon I could probably make a great 12 track album from her total output. I love the idea of Lana but the product often just doesn't come up to the mark

+Quote this post
Sour Candy
post 23rd March 2016, 08:30 PM
Post #15
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 10,275

I thought Meds was released in 2005, ooops!

Agree with Dandy regarding Bloc Party

+Quote this post
Colm
post 23rd March 2016, 08:33 PM
Post #16
Group icon
Yes, it's me.

Ys is the second album by Joanna Newsom. It was released by Drag City on November 6, 2006. The album was produced by herself and Van Dyke Parks, recorded by Steve Albini, mixed by Jim O'Rourke, with accompanying orchestral arrangements by Van Dyke Parks. It features guest vocals from Joanna's then boyfriend Bill Callahan and from her sister, Emily Newsom. The vocals and harp were recorded at The Village Recording Studio, LA in December 2005 with the orchestration being recorded between May and June 2006 at the Entorage Studios in LA.Ys (Media notes).

The album consists of 5 tracks with song durations ranging from 7 to 17 minutes that deal with events and people who had been important in Joanna's life in the year previous to recording. These events include the sudden death of Joanna's best friend, a continuing illness and a tumultuous relationship. The album was named after the mythical city of Ys, which according to myth was built on the coast of Brittany and later swallowed by the ocean. The albums' title was the last element to be confirmed and was a result of a dream that Joanna had which featured the letters Y and S and a book recommended by a friend that contained reference to the myth.

Second full length album from Joanna that recognises no limits of creativity, in its ornate and labyrinthine universe. Melody flows like honey after a few plays.
If you like the idea of Bjork playing a harp for a very long time then this might be for you.

A truly remarkable album that gets better with time.

+Quote this post
dandy*
post 23rd March 2016, 08:35 PM
Post #17
Group icon
Mansonette

Honeymoon? Really? Apologies to the two fans but I found it to be a really weak effort, makes me wonder if she'll be the act with all 3 albums in? :/

+Quote this post
Sour Candy
post 23rd March 2016, 08:36 PM
Post #18
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 10,275

I love Honeymoon and it nearly made my list, but I ranked her other two albums above it.

+Quote this post
Colm
post 23rd March 2016, 08:36 PM
Post #19
Group icon
Yes, it's me.

Odd Blood is the self-produced second studio album by American experimental rock band Yeasayer. Recorded in the state of New York during 2009, it was released on February 8, 2010 in Europe and a day later in North America, with Secretly Canadian as the primary label. "Ambling Alp", "O.N.E.", "Madder Red", and "I Remember" were released as singles. Odd Blood peaked at number 63 on the U.S. Billboard 200 and at number 64 on the UK Albums Chart. It reached number five on the U.S. Billboard Independent Albums chart. Yeasayer followed the record's release with an extended tour throughout 2010.

Odd Blood was mostly crafted with engineer Steve Revitte in a secluded cabin studio. During the sessions, Yeasayer experimented with different types of instruments and recording machines. Auxiliary musicians were hired to help with the process. The idea was to marry sonic experimentation with pop structures, while primary songwriters Chris Keating and Anand Wilder explored a variety of themes such as boxing, addiction, and paranoia. Odd Blood also contains several love songs. The album received largely positive reviews from critics. Praise centered on its cohesive merging of genres, especially the pop-influenced rhythms.

Second album wherein Yeasayer took a detour into 80s-influenced quirk pop. The opening five tracks are an incredibly strong set of emotional pop genius before the rest of the album goes properly strange.

+Quote this post
Colm
post 23rd March 2016, 08:42 PM
Post #20
Group icon
Yes, it's me.

In Colour is the debut studio album by English electronic producer Jamie xx, released on 29 May 2015 by Young Turks. It was his first solo studio record, composed during a five-year period while a member of the indie pop band the xx. In Colour debuted at number 21 on the Billboard 200 and received critical acclaim upon release. It was also named as one of the best albums of 2015 by several publications. The album produced five singles: "Girl", "Sleep Sound", "Gosh", "Loud Places" and "I Know There's Gonna Be (Good Times)".

In Colour debuted at number 3 on the UK Albums Chart, selling 19,255 copies in its first week.[1] In the United States, the album entered the Billboard 200 at number 21 and the Dance/Electronic Albums chart at number one, with first-week sales of 19,000 copies.[2] It was nominated for the 2015 Mercury Prize and Best Dance/Electronic Album for the 2016 Grammy Awards.

An album I expected to do a lot better in this - in fact a lot of albums have under-performed.

I must go back to it soon - most of my listening happened around Mercury Prize night 2015.

+Quote this post

7 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 23rd April 2024, 11:23 PM