BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Good Horror Movies, Which Ones Successfuly Scare You?
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
UltraCruelSummer
post 11th December 2014, 11:29 PM
Post #1
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.
User: 20,947

Well we are talking about the bad ones in Insomnio's great thread so why don't we have a thread dedicated to the good ones wub.gif

My favourites off the top of my head are:
The Ring
Insidious
The Purge
Stoker

What are yours?
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
NellyEverySundae
post 11th December 2014, 11:35 PM
Post #2
Group icon
#TeamKrustyKrab
User: 20,675

The purge: Anrachy (was very intense, on the lines of 'The Call)
Carrie: Remake - Chloe Moretz stole the show which made it very memorable. Acting was incredibly good.
The Woman In Black
Paranormal Activity
Black Swan (can I count that as kinda a horror?) - My favorite movie of all-time

+Quote this post
Insomnio
post 12th December 2014, 12:15 AM
Post #3
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 10,742

The "Texas Chainsaw Massacre" (2003) is totally my favourite horror movie!
I would also add :

"The Ring"
"SAW"
"The Conjuring"
"Hostel"
"The Hills Have Eyes"
"Scream 1" and "Scream 2",
"Ju-on"
"28 Days Later"
"Halloween"
"The Descent"
"Urban Legend"
"Annabelle"
"Insidious"
"Jeepers Creepers"
"Dracula" (1992)
"Friday the 13th (The first movies)
"The Hitcher" (The Original Film)
"1408"
"Wrong Turn"
"The Exorcist"
"The Crazies"
"Drag Me to Hell"
"Silent Hill"
"The Last House on the Left"
"Vacancy"
"Wolf Creek"

This post has been edited by Insomnio: 12th December 2014, 12:17 AM

+Quote this post
NellyEverySundae
post 12th December 2014, 12:16 AM
Post #4
Group icon
#TeamKrustyKrab

Drag me to hell is utter brilliance too heart.gif

+Quote this post
Insomnio
post 12th December 2014, 12:24 AM
Post #5
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member

QUOTE(NellyXmas. S @ Dec 12 2014, 02:16 AM) *
Drag me to hell is utter brilliance too heart.gif

It was quite scary and the plot was amazing. I really loved the leading actress. She was very good. The gypsy was iconic.. tongue.gif

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post 12th December 2014, 12:30 AM
Post #6
Group icon
I found the love, I found the love in me
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 5,042

'Eden Lake' is probably one of my favourite horror movies. So under appreciated/not really talked about too much! But excellent choice in naming 'Wolf Creek'! 'The Conjuring'/'Sinister'/'Insidious'/'Paranormal Activity' franchise are my favourites in recent years. But my all time favourites HAVE to be 'Final Destination' and 'Saw'. I have a massive soft spot for all of them (yes, even the ones that no one else likes.) and then we have 'The Evil Dead' original AND remake! (Along with the original sequels, also!)

Nice to see 'The Texas Chainsaw Massacre' remake get mentioned! Preferred it SO much more to the original, it's not funny. I found the original a chore to watch/get through and obviously when it comes to slasher movies, not a lot beats the 'Scream' series!

In terms of horrors actually doing their job and scaring me to the point where I couldn't sleep/won't watch them anymore, are 'The Exorcist' and 'The Blair Witch Project' (the last 20 mins or so are truly terrifying!). We also have a couple of great foreign language horror movies (some of the best horror films of all time) like '[Rec]' (1 & 2 - do not bother with the 3rd!), 'Battle Royale', 'The Orphanage', 'Pan's Labyrinth', 'The Host' & a personal favourite, 'Martyrs'. All absolutely breath taking.

EDIT: oh and forgot about 'Maniac' (Elijah Wood remake - outstanding), 'Friday the 13th', 'Halloween' (particularly 'Season Of the Witch'!) and 'Fright Night'. As well as a few of my all time faves which I forgot to mention: 'Carrie', 'The Birds' & 'Psycho'

You see, when this genre wants to be good, it can be the best genre around. It's the reason why I love it so much! There's that odd time where something special creeps through and really makes you realise why horrors are the best.

(I bet there's a few more obvious ones I've missed out! - Like 'Poltergeist', 'Cabin In the Woods' etc... drama.gif)

+Quote this post
Insomnio
post 12th December 2014, 01:02 AM
Post #7
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member

QUOTE(Jonjo @ Dec 12 2014, 02:30 AM) *
'Eden Lake' is probably one of my favourite horror movies. So under appreciated/not really talked about too much! But excellent choice in naming 'Wolf Creek'! 'The Conjuring'/'Sinister'/'Insidious'/'Paranormal Activity' franchise are my favourites in recent years. But my all time favourites HAVE to be 'Final Destination' and 'Saw'. I have a massive soft spot for all of them (yes, even the ones that no one else likes.)

Nice to see 'The Texas Chainsaw Massacre' remake get mentioned! Preferred it SO much more to the original, it's not funny. I found the original a chore to watch/get through and obviously when it comes to slasher movies, not a lot beats the 'Scream' series!

In terms of horrors actually doing their job and scaring me to the point where I couldn't sleep/won't watch them anymore, are 'The Exorcist' and 'The Blair Witch Project' (the last 20 mins or so are truly terrifying!). We also have a couple of great foreign language horror movies (some of the best horror films of all time) like '[Rec]' (1 & 2 - do not bother with the 3rd!), 'Battle Royale', 'The Orphanage', 'Pan's Labyrinth', 'The Host' & a personal favourite, 'Martyrs'. All absolutely breath taking.

EDIT: oh and forgot about 'Maniac' (Elijah Wood remake - outstanding), 'Friday the 13th', 'Halloween' (particularly 'Season Of the Witch'!) and 'Fright Night'.

I haven't watched "Eden Lake". I didn't know its existence. Does it have a topic here? I will add it to my future list of movies.

"Wolf Creek" has great atmosphere. It had very slow rhythms in the beginning but it was quite good in the end. The most scary thing about it, was the fact that it was based on a true story.

I haven't watched "Sinister" yet. I don't think that it had an official release in my country.

"Final Destination" was quite good but it had many funny scenes. It was a little bit of parody. happy.gif

"The Texas Chainsaw Massacre" (2003)" had many horror scenes. It was very brutal and raw and I guess that many people didn't like it for these reasons. However, the original film was dreadful.

I didn't like 'The Blair Witch Project' for one particular reason. The leading actress was so irritating. She talked too much (what a bitch) and you couldn't enjoy the atmosphere of the movie. The ending was scary though.

[Rec] I have heard a lot of good comments about this movie. I have to watch it ASAP.

I forgot to add 'Battle Royale' to my choices. It was a clever concept.

'The Orphanage' was quite boring. I wanted to sleep in the cinema.

'Pan's Labyrinth' was a great movie although it's not a horror movie. I would say that it was a social/drama movie with a little bit imagination.

The Host. Do you mean the movie with Saoirse?

I haven't watched "Mystyrs" yet. However, the title really tempts me to watch it.

'Maniac' / I really don't know this movie.

'Fright Night' / I wanted to watch this movie because it's considered as a cult film.

This post has been edited by Insomnio: 12th December 2014, 01:13 AM

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post 12th December 2014, 01:26 AM
Post #8
Group icon
I found the love, I found the love in me
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 5,042

QUOTE(Insomnio @ Dec 12 2014, 01:02 AM) *
I haven't watched "Eden Lake". I didn't know its existence. Does it have a topic here? I will add it to my future list of movies.

"Wolf Creek" has great atmosphere. It had very slow rhythms in the beginning but it was quite good in the end. The most scary thing about it, was the fact that it was based on a true story.

I haven't watched "Sinister" yet. I don't think that it had an official release in my country.

"Final Destination" was quite good but it had many funny scenes. It was a little bit of parody. happy.gif

"The Texas Chainsaw Massacre" (2003)" had many horror scenes. It was very brutal and raw and I guess that many people didn't like it for these reasons. However, the original film was dreadful.

I didn't like 'The Blair Witch Project' for one particular reason. The leading actress was so irritating. She talked too much (what a bitch) and you couldn't enjoy the atmosphere of the movie. The ending was scary though.

[Rec] I have heard a lot of good comments about this movie. I have to watch it ASAP.

I forgot to add 'Battle Royale' to my choices. It was a clever concept.

'The Orphanage' was quite boring. I wanted to sleep in the cinema.

'Pan's Labyrinth' was a great movie although it's not a horror movie. I would say that it was a social/drama movie with a little bit imagination.

The Host. Do you mean the movie with Saoirse?

I haven't watched "Mystyrs" yet. However, the title really tempts me to watch it.

'Maniac' / I really don't know this movie.

'Fright Night' / I wanted to watch this movie because it's considered as a cult film.
'Eden Lake' is ver similar to 'Wolf Creek' in it's tone and how disturbing and realistic it is. It's one of Michael Fassbender's breakthrough hits! I completely see your points about 'Final Destination' and 'Blair Witch'. With FD I think that's why I love them, the simple fact that they're OTT and enjoyable. The third film is a massive thrill! laugh.gif

'[Rec]' is possibly the best horror film of all time, looking back. It's just so tense, scary and thrilling. The night vision scenes are just INSANELY terrifying! I'd recommend you to catch this as soon as possible (then watch #2, one of the best sequels for a film imo). I was hesitant to put 'Pan's Labyrinth' in this myself, but a lot of people consider it "scary" and a bit "WTF?" (I personally don't, I just enjoy the movie) but the tone is quite dark and a bit of a fantasy horror. Oh and no not the one with Saoirse haha. It's a Japanese film about a monster that is unleashed and terrorises the streets etc.. It's not really "scary", but it's a riot and good fun!

'Martyrs', be warned, it's quite possibly, the most disturbing film ever released. It's really hard to describe it, but you WILL feel uncomfortable watching it. Just thought I'd give you the heads up with that one tongue.gif But the cinematography and the direction of this film, is so beautifully executed... you just can't help but keep watching.

'Maniac' is excellent. Elijah Wood is a brilliant psycho/stalker sort of guy. He plays a freak, too well! laugh.gif 'Fright Night' again is a riot! The original is SO cheesy, in a similar way the original 'Evil Dead' films, but it's really good. The remake is very decent too!

+Quote this post
NellyEverySundae
post 12th December 2014, 08:17 AM
Post #9
Group icon
#TeamKrustyKrab

QUOTE(Insomnio @ Dec 12 2014, 12:24 AM) *
It was quite scary and the plot was amazing. I really loved the leading actress. She was very good. The gypsy was iconic.. tongue.gif

It was brilliant! I don't think a horror movie has managed to make me laugh and scared at the same time!

QUOTE(Jonjo @ Dec 12 2014, 12:30 AM) *
'Eden Lake' is probably one of my favourite horror movies. So under appreciated/not really talked about too much! But excellent choice in naming 'Wolf Creek'! 'The Conjuring'/'Sinister'/'Insidious'/'Paranormal Activity' franchise are my favourites in recent years. But my all time favourites HAVE to be 'Final Destination' and 'Saw'. I have a massive soft spot for all of them (yes, even the ones that no one else likes.) and then we have 'The Evil Dead' original AND remake! (Along with the original sequels, also!)

EDIT: oh and forgot about 'Maniac' (Elijah Wood remake - outstanding), 'Friday the 13th', 'Halloween' (particularly 'Season Of the Witch'!) and 'Fright Night'. As well as a few of my all time faves which I forgot to mention: 'Carrie', 'The Birds' & 'Psycho'

You see, when this genre wants to be good, it can be the best genre around. It's the reason why I love it so much! There's that odd time where something special creeps through and really makes you realise why horrors are the best.

(I bet there's a few more obvious ones I've missed out! - Like 'Poltergeist', 'Cabin In the Woods' etc... drama.gif)

I really want to see Eden Lake but my parent being parents aren't going to let me until I'm 18 laugh.gif Damn I forgot about Sinister, scariest movie of all-time for me so far, absolutely horrendous. I dont know why but 'Mr Boogey' is he most terrifying thing I've ever seen!

Not a fan of the first Final Destination I'm afraid, the third and fifth ones are v~good and interesting! not sure about scary though but it definitely put me off rollercoasters for a bit! laugh.gif

Scream is another I like too! Not that it's scary (I don't think it even is intended to be scary) but because it does it's job in mocking horror films whilst delivering a brilliant plot/acting!

The ending to the Blair witch project for me was just terrifying. I know it's very sudden but the moment the camera drops My mouth dropped with it! So simple yet so effective heart.gif

Cabin in the woods is one of those horror films that I'd watch once but never again. It's just too grim, I don't think there are any light, comedic moments in there like Drag me to hell (which is also a horror-mocking film)

This post has been edited by NellyXmas. S: 12th December 2014, 08:24 AM

+Quote this post
Harve
post 12th December 2014, 09:06 AM
Post #10
Group icon
Cœur poids plume
User: 4,718

QUOTE(Jonjo @ Dec 12 2014, 02:26 AM) *
'Eden Lake' is ver similar to 'Wolf Creek' in it's tone and how disturbing and realistic it is. It's one of Michael Fassbender's breakthrough hits! I completely see your points about 'Final Destination' and 'Blair Witch'. With FD I think that's why I love them, the simple fact that they're OTT and enjoyable. The third film is a massive thrill! laugh.gif

'[Rec]' is possibly the best horror film of all time, looking back. It's just so tense, scary and thrilling. The night vision scenes are just INSANELY terrifying! I'd recommend you to catch this as soon as possible (then watch #2, one of the best sequels for a film imo). I was hesitant to put 'Pan's Labyrinth' in this myself, but a lot of people consider it "scary" and a bit "WTF?" (I personally don't, I just enjoy the movie) but the tone is quite dark and a bit of a fantasy horror. Oh and no not the one with Saoirse haha. It's a Japanese film about a monster that is unleashed and terrorises the streets etc.. It's not really "scary", but it's a riot and good fun!

'Martyrs', be warned, it's quite possibly, the most disturbing film ever released. It's really hard to describe it, but you WILL feel uncomfortable watching it. Just thought I'd give you the heads up with that one tongue.gif But the cinematography and the direction of this film, is so beautifully executed... you just can't help but keep watching.

Whatcha smoking Jonjo, Eden Lake is some twisted, unconvincing 'omg fear the working class, they're mongrels' mess. Realistic is the last word I'd use to describe it! The whole concept of the film was quite offensive.

But I can agree with [REC] and Martyrs. <3 <3

+Quote this post
post 12th December 2014, 11:13 AM
Post #11
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 19,931

'Scream' and 'Rosemary's Baby' are the two ultimate horror movies for me.

+Quote this post
Kath
post 15th December 2014, 10:52 PM
Post #12
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 2,980

I saw a film last night that was truly brilliant. A tongue-in-cheek horror/comedy (usually not my favourite mixed genre) from New Zealand called 'Housebound'. Seriously - give it a try if you come across it!

+Quote this post
Chez Wombat
post 15th December 2014, 11:16 PM
Post #13
Group icon
The owls are not what they seem
Pronouns: He/him
User: 9,232

My favourite that hasn't been mentioned yet is probably A Nightmare on Elm Street in it's original form is still a stellar concept and Freddie was actually genuinely scary when I saw it despite me already being familiar with them as a jokey sort of character that he became, still makes me quite scared to go to sleep. I must say my favourite contemporary one would be Drag Me To Hell, a fantastic horror blended with a lot of other genres and working so well nonetheless. Plus shouts for The Shining, Alien, The Thing, Dawn of the Dead, The Descent & The Blair Witch Project. A slowly building sense of danger and atmosphere is just so much more effective in a horror film and all of the films here really do that in incredible ways, I was genuinely a bit scared when I finished watching them.

My favourite recent one I've watched (not recently released) was Videodrome, quite hard to *ahem* stomach but really good if you like weird/gross out horror.

+Quote this post
Severin
post 17th December 2014, 06:59 PM
Post #14
Group icon
Mansonette
User: 9,872

Threads is arguably a Horror I admit but is easily the only film that I can say genuinely scared he crap out of me as a kid

+Quote this post
bipolar angel
post 24th December 2014, 12:23 PM
Post #15
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 20,494

the original to " when a stranger calls?" left me frozen in my seat.

to this day i think about getting a call

pannic button

terminal error (it's not really horror, but it scares me anyway)

pannic room

+Quote this post
UltraCruelSummer
post 4th January 2015, 10:30 AM
Post #16
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.
User: 20,947

I saw The Purge: Anarchy yesterday and I absolutely loved. The characters and the plot were both so good and it was pretty scary as well

+Quote this post
David Beck
post 9th January 2015, 12:33 PM
Post #17
Group icon
New Entry
User: 21,322

If you really want to watch a horror movie than you must watch SAW. There are 7 parts of SAW but I didnt watched all because I scared. ohmy.gif

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post 9th January 2015, 10:24 PM
Post #18
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 17,376

Alien is the greatest horror movie (its sci-fi horror) for me, more recently Cabin In The Woods for taking the piss out of the genre cliches (honest it's very funny at times, intentionally) and making it work in an intelligent way.

Scariest though, The Exorcist....

+Quote this post
Severin
post 12th January 2015, 06:04 PM
Post #19
Group icon
Mansonette

QUOTE(David Beck @ Jan 9 2015, 12:33 PM) *
If you really want to watch a horror movie than you must watch SAW. There are 7 parts of SAW but I didnt watched all because I scared. ohmy.gif

I didn't watch them all either as after the first one they got crap real quick.
The original is brilliant though

+Quote this post
Severin
post 12th January 2015, 06:06 PM
Post #20
Group icon
Mansonette

QUOTE(popchartfreak @ Jan 9 2015, 10:24 PM) *
Alien is the greatest horror movie (its sci-fi horror) for me, more recently Cabin In The Woods for taking the piss out of the genre cliches (honest it's very funny at times, intentionally) and making it work in an intelligent way.

Scariest though, The Exorcist....

You've just mentioned my top two ever films in one post! w00t.gif

(Hint - neither involving a cabin)

+Quote this post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 24th April 2024, 11:22 PM