BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
> -
13 Pages V  « < 11 12 13  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Official Chart Show to move to Fridays from summer 2015, Hosted by Greg James
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
AcerBen
post Jun 29 2015, 07:46 AM
Post #241
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 3,429
QUOTE(Griff @ Jun 28 2015, 06:41 PM) *
The two hours includes a fifteen minute NEWSBEAT basil.gif Shows much they care. I don't see why they don't give it to Radio 2 blah blah blah.

That was obvious anyway. I think 1hr45 is long enough. Assuming they don't change the format of the show to be more chatty again, there's time for the full top 20 and maybe 5 songs outside it.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
fchd
post Jun 29 2015, 07:51 AM
Post #242
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 6,639
I'd rather they still played the entire chart. If they've only time for 25 records, play the Top 25.

+Quote this post
BOOBA GRANDE
post Jun 29 2015, 08:25 AM
Post #243
Group icon
You don't have to be fabulous to be good
User: 5,591
I would like Radio 1 to make strict rules about what they play on the chart show. For example, they have space/slots for 25 songs. How they should choose which songs to play and which songs to skip, to choose 25 tunes between 40? They choose songs step-by-step, according to the rules, for example:

1. Firstly they choose a full top-10 (10/25 done)
2. Then they choose all the new entries outside the top-10 (about 1-5 more)
3. Then they choose all climbers which had 15 weeks or less in the top-40
4. Then they choose all the songs which are in the top-40 for 5 weeks or less. If there is not enough slots, they just play the highest from the pack.
5. And if there is still space they just play the remaining songs from 11 and downwards.

If we were talking about this week's chart, it would be:
(1)
1 N 1 Tinie Tempah feat. Jess Glynne Not Letting Go
2 46 4 Lost Frequencies Are You With Me (3wks T75)
3 1 5 Jason Derulo Want To Want Me
4 5 4 WALK THE MOON Shut Up And Dance
5 2 17 Major Lazer and DJ Snake feat. MØ Lean On (14wks T75)
6 3 25 OMI Cheerleader (20wks T75)
7 N 1 Flo Rida feat. Robin Thicke and Verdine White I Don't Like It, I Love It
8 8 12 Fetty Wap Trap Queen (11wks T75)
9 4 7 Deorro and Chris Brown Five More Hours (2wks T75)
10 6 7 Galantis Runaway (U & I)

10 done

(2)
17 45 17 James Bay Let It Go (10wks T75)
31 N 1 Stereo Kicks Love Me So
32 100 2 Duke Dumont The Giver (Reprise)

+3 more, 13 overall done

(3)
15 22 32 Ed Sheeran Photograph (18wks T75)
27 38 14 Kygo feat. Parson James Stole The Show (11wks T75)
33 34 3 The Weeknd Can't Feel My Face

+3 more, 16 overall done

(4)
16 11 9 Natalie La Rose feat. Jeremih Somebody (5wks T75)
24 17 5 Martin Garrix feat. Usher Don't Look Down
29 23 3 Zedd feat. Selena Gomez I Want You To Know
40 35 5 The Weeknd The Hills (that's odd occasion, because as far as I know, it is not played on R1 at all, but it goes under the rules, soooo)

+4 more, 20 overall done

And the remaining
(5)
11 7 16 Jack Ü and Justin Bieber Where Are Ü Now (14wks T75)
12 10 12 Wiz Khalifa feat. Charlie Puth See You Again
13 9 10 David Guetta feat. Nicki Minaj, Bebe Rexha and Afrojack Hey Mama (9wks T75)
14 12 7 LunchMoney Lewis Bills
18 15 7 Jessie J Flashlight

25 done! In the end all the top-18 is played + selection of climbers / newer entries towards the bottom of the top-40.

Of course the rules could be different but they should be the rules either way. This is how:
1. The chart stays fresh (as we play newer songs)
2. There is no moaning (why they skip this song?!?!?!?!), there is just another moaning (why the rules are like that?!?!?! but it will be much less of a moaning)
3. And there can't be any unfairness from Radio 1 if they decide, for instance, not to play the songs which haven't been in their playlist.

+Quote this post
Mart!n
post Jun 29 2015, 08:43 AM
Post #244
Group icon
Infamy Infamy they all got it in for me
User: 2
^^ the set up above that sounds ideal without quoting the whole post again. Let's hope they don't do the top 3 recap from last week as that is just time wasting, and get on straight away with the new chart.

Also I can't be sure, if they are going to miss out the top 5 album chart all together. As all the charts are going to be online on OCC after 6pm.

+Quote this post
Gambo
post Jun 29 2015, 08:55 AM
Post #245
Group icon
BuzzJack Climber
User: 21,106
Broadly I would also support the application of rules along the lines of those mentioned above, if there is insufficient time for all 40 tracks. To be honest, for many years I would never have supported anything less than the entire 40 in the chart broadcast, mainly because the chart's turnover was so high, with almost half the 40 being new entries, many of which were unlikely to even appear in the next week's show, meaning their first week on chart would likely be their only airing on the chart broadcasts. But now, with far-fewer new entries, more climbers, and numerous hits sticking around for many months, playing about 25 of the 40 does make sense and avoids the repetition of having to wade through songs which love or hate them have been loitering around the Top 40 for ages and will have been played to death.

Mind you, this is all likely to be academic for me; I don't listen to the charts regularly even now, and when it moves to Fridays I shall probably never tune in, as I'm nearly always in a pub somewhere during that time! I am saddened by the passing of what has been a 53.5-year tradition of a full chart broadcast on a Sunday afternoon though. Truly the end of an era.

+Quote this post
vidcapper
post Jun 29 2015, 09:09 AM
Post #246
Group icon
Paul Hyett
User: 364
I wonder if they'll retain the same convention for dating the charts?

Yesterday's was dated 4/7/15, next Sunday's will be dated 11/7/15 - I presume the one on the following week under the new system would be dated 16/7/15. unsure.gif

+Quote this post
Mart!n
post Jun 29 2015, 09:48 AM
Post #247
Group icon
Infamy Infamy they all got it in for me
User: 2
QUOTE(vidcapper @ Jun 29 2015, 10:09 AM) *
I wonder if they'll retain the same convention for dating the charts?

Yesterday's was dated 4/7/15, next Sunday's will be dated 11/7/15 - I presume the one on the following week under the new system would be dated 16/7/15. unsure.gif

They won't as I mentioned at the bottom of the previous page, 16/07/15 will be the new date, and so forth

+Quote this post
Rush
post Jun 29 2015, 09:54 AM
Post #248
Group icon
wayback machine gif rescuer
User: 18,564
In my opinion they should use this opportunity to just bring the date to the Friday the chart is revealed. (although the transition would be awkward)

+Quote this post
danG
post Jun 29 2015, 04:25 PM
Post #249
Group icon
🔥🚀🔥
User: 11,746
I think Radio 1 are going to play the top 20 in full and any entries/climbers in the 21-40 region. That would be the easiest way to go about it although that will mean songs with 14-23-30-37-out chart runs will only ever get played once

+Quote this post
toffochews
post Jul 1 2015, 07:00 AM
Post #250
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 4,120
QUOTE(Mart!n @ Mar 24 2015, 11:58 AM) *
I just thought Saturday would be better to be honest.

===

On a different note I just hope the first chart won't be a cock up laugh.gif I think Dee-Lite missed out on a #1 due to a switch over.

Haha, remember dee-lite! They missed out after Gallup couldn't separate sales after rounding and were effectively tied for #1 with Steve miller band. Steve miller was awarded #1 by having the largest increase over previous week. I seem to remember that Steve miller had actually won by just seven sales.

+Quote this post
sm1ffj
post Jul 2 2015, 12:04 PM
Post #251
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 12,629
What they could have done with the Sunday 4-7pm slot is an early midweeks programme, covering sales from Friday morning to Sunday lunchtime, then no other chart update until the Official Chart on Friday.

At least the Sunday tradition could have been maintained.

+Quote this post
AcerBen
post Jul 2 2015, 12:56 PM
Post #252
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
QUOTE(sm1ffj @ Jul 2 2015, 12:04 PM) *
What they could have done with the Sunday 4-7pm slot is an early midweeks programme, covering sales from Friday morning to Sunday lunchtime, then no other chart update until the Official Chart on Friday.

At least the Sunday tradition could have been maintained.

It'd be a bit silly giving more coverage to the midweeks than the actual chart though.

+Quote this post
Gambo
post Jul 2 2015, 04:00 PM
Post #253
Group icon
BuzzJack Climber
User: 21,106
QUOTE(AcerBen @ Jul 2 2015, 12:56 PM) *
It'd be a bit silly giving more coverage to the midweeks than the actual chart though.

Perhaps so, although arguably no sillier than having an abridged 'taster' show for the new chart as soon as it became available on a Tuesday lunchtime, and then following it with a far-fuller recap countdown the following Sunday, by which time that chart was already one week out of date - as was the case for many years until they were able to catch-up and make the new chart available by Sunday evening from early October 1987. I recall that many people - especially those who couldn't catch the Tuesday reveal or maybe didn't even know it existed as they were usually at school - assumed the Top 40 broadcast on Sundays between 5 and 7 was the chart for the week coming, as is the case now, rather than the one just going.

I suppose this matters little, except for those who swear blind they remember a certain song being Number One on a certain occasion - usually a birthday - during their formative years, but are actually incorrect in their recollection, as they didn't realise the chart they'd heard ahead of that week on the Sunday was for the previous seven days, and the No 1 had since changed hands - which they would only have known if they'd listened to the Tuesday show, or perhaps if they'd seen Top Of The Pops on the Thursday. Seems quaint to reflect on it now with the plethora of online and other sources from which one can glean not just the latest chart based on the last week's survey but also mid-week flashes from the same week, but for many that is how it was.

I seldom got a chance in the '80s to hear the Tuesday reveal, waiting until the Sunday show when I was free to load-up the TDK D-90 in readiness for the 'new' numbers! Not that I'm slavish listener to the Top 40 nowadays by any stretch, but every so often I would listen in, as I'm often at a loose end on a Sunday afternoon. It was at least good to know one had the option if at all interested. Once it moves to Friday, like those Tuesday shows all those years ago, I'll almost certainly never catch it - not live anyway, and that's when it counts most. But at least that will be because I'm out and about carousing after work rather than being stuck at school!

+Quote this post
AcerBen
post Jul 2 2015, 04:35 PM
Post #254
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
QUOTE(Gambo @ Jul 2 2015, 04:00 PM) *
Perhaps so, although arguably no sillier than having an abridged 'taster' show for the new chart as soon as it became available on a Tuesday lunchtime, and then following it with a far-fuller recap countdown the following Sunday, by which time that chart was already one week out of date - as was the case for many years until they were able to catch-up and make the new chart available by Sunday evening from early October 1987. I recall that many people - especially those who couldn't catch the Tuesday reveal or maybe didn't even know it existed as they were usually at school - assumed the Top 40 broadcast on Sundays between 5 and 7 was the chart for the week coming, as is the case now, rather than the one just going.

I suppose this matters little, except for those who swear blind they remember a certain song being Number One on a certain occasion - usually a birthday - during their formative years, but are actually incorrect in their recollection, as they didn't realise the chart they'd heard ahead of that week on the Sunday was for the previous seven days, and the No 1 had since changed hands - which they would only have known if they'd listened to the Tuesday show, or perhaps if they'd seen Top Of The Pops on the Thursday. Seems quaint to reflect on it now with the plethora of online and other sources from which one can glean not just the latest chart based on the last week's survey but also mid-week flashes from the same week, but for many that is how it was.

I seldom got a chance in the '80s to hear the Tuesday reveal, waiting until the Sunday show when I was free to load-up the TDK D-90 in readiness for the 'new' numbers! Not that I'm slavish listener to the Top 40 nowadays by any stretch, but every so often I would listen in, as I'm often at a loose end on a Sunday afternoon. It was at least good to know one had the option if at all interested. Once it moves to Friday, like those Tuesday shows all those years ago, I'll almost certainly never catch it - not live anyway, and that's when it counts most. But at least that will be because I'm out and about carousing after work rather than being stuck at school!

No, that made sense in the 80s and in any case on the Sunday it was still the current chart. In any case the full top 40 show is dull and they've scrapped it for that reason. Who cares about keeping a tradition that barely anyone cares about now? I think the recapping the top 10 on the new Sunday show is enough, and more than I was expecting them to do.

+Quote this post
danG
post Jul 4 2015, 04:37 PM
Post #255
Group icon
🔥🚀🔥
User: 11,746
some more info about the chart shows running after the change: http://www.officialcharts.com/chart-news/t...ek-ahead__9971/

summary:

Official Chart show – every Friday, 4pm to 5.45pm.
Official Update Show – every Monday, 5.30 to 5.45pm.
The Number 1 Show – every Sunday, 6pm to 7pm.

lol at the chart update being just 15 minutes, they may as well not bother.

+Quote this post

13 Pages V  « < 11 12 13
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 users are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 07:27 AM