BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
> 

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Other Reality Shows From Around The World, Discuss! What are you watching ATM?
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Aaron.
post 16th April 2021, 03:07 PM
Post #1
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 3,245

Following a strong line of New Zealand RTV content such as The Bachelor/Bachelorette, Survivor and The Block, New Zealand has returned to the popular Popstars TV Series after 22 Years.

https://www.tvnz.co.nz/what-to-watch/news-feed/popstars

I believe 3 Episodes have aired to date. I just watched the first few minutes of Episode 1 and they definitely play tribute to the first season.

This post has been edited by Aaron.: 20th July 2021, 09:45 PM
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Aaron.
post 16th April 2021, 09:15 PM
Post #2
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

- Kimbra seems to be the host, quite underwhelming, her Wikipedia isn't even updated. They didn't really introduce the Judges either, not a great start to the first episode.
- Looking for individual artists or groups.
- Must audition with an original song.
- Prize is $100k, no mention of even signing to a label or releasing a single or album.

I was SUPER excited for this. Popstars was always super cheezy with great pop tunes. This seems to be more following the model of Idol/Voice. There's enough of these on TV right now, they didn't take a chance to diversify this show against what's already out there. They didn't take the chance to take what made Popstars fun. FLOP. I turned it off after the first 15 minutes.

+Quote this post
Liаm
post 17th April 2021, 09:28 AM
Post #3
Group icon
Brown cow, stunning!
User: 10,139

QUOTE(Aaron. @ Apr 16 2021, 10:15 PM) *
- Prize is $100k, no mention of even signing to a label or releasing a single or album.

That's the issue with most reality talent shows now, they're inconsequential. Like you go on say The Voice and win but most of them don't release anything, or if they do, it's not really pushed and there's very little to no chance of success after. Maybe some people just want the chance to make music that's fine, but as a viewer if I know there's not really anything that will happen afterwards, I don't really see the point of watching. I miss watching X Factor at its peak and knowing that they were actually going to be the next big thing usually, as manipulated as that often was. To me stuff like The Voice and what this is doing is glorified karaoke, I know that might sound snobby because that's what people used to say about X Factor, but when it's just a bunch of boring people singing on TV without there even really being a chance to make it, that's what it feels like.

+Quote this post
Padamic Tension
post 17th April 2021, 03:47 PM
Post #4
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
User: 845

QUOTE(Liаm @ Apr 17 2021, 10:28 AM) *
That's the issue with most reality talent shows now, they're inconsequential. Like you go on say The Voice and win but most of them don't release anything, or if they do, it's not really pushed and there's very little to no chance of success after. Maybe some people just want the chance to make music that's fine, but as a viewer if I know there's not really anything that will happen afterwards, I don't really see the point of watching. I miss watching X Factor at its peak and knowing that they were actually going to be the next big thing usually, as manipulated as that often was. To me stuff like The Voice and what this is doing is glorified karaoke, I know that might sound snobby because that's what people used to say about X Factor, but when it's just a bunch of boring people singing on TV without there even really being a chance to make it, that's what it feels like.

I totally agree,, I miss the days of the olly murs and leona lewis having a career when the show ended.

+Quote this post
Aaron.
post 17th April 2021, 09:02 PM
Post #5
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

QUOTE(Liаm @ Apr 17 2021, 10:28 AM) *

Honestly, I haven't seen a singing competition since Kelly Clarkson won American Idol. I did see a few Popstars seasons which is why I was so excited! But everything you're saying is basically what I gathered this show to be. So disappointing!
I was really looking forward to a cheesy Popstars throwback! Maybe a fun new Girl or Boy Band.

+Quote this post
Aaron.
post 20th July 2021, 09:48 PM
Post #6
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

Apprentice NZ: if you need a good Apprentice fix I'd HIGHLY recommend watching The Apprentice Aotearoa (New Zealand). It follows the same format as the BBC Version. Not cheesy and overproduced like the American version and the recent season of Apprentice Australia.

It's very interesting. They have the same tasks (Find these items, Interviews, Sales ect). New Zealand has stepped up with their RTV Shows. This is not to be missed.

+Quote this post
Aaron.
post 19th July 2022, 04:55 PM
Post #7
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

New Zealand seems to have given up on their Survivor and Bachelor(ette) franchise, but have given Masterchef a return after being off the air for 7 Years.
It closely follows the Australian version - longer season (less contestants).

I just got to Top 10, awful season however laugh.gif
VERY Junior home cooks, lots of mistakes, nothing really to learn from I've found?
One person pretty much quit after the first challenge and another quit in the Final 10... messy.

The Block NZ is also back, a well established franchise.
I think they learned from their mistakes during COVID and Season 9 - unwatchable in my opinion, but every other season I've watched has been great!
4 Returning Teams this year - they're basically building Apartment styled Houses, the bones are already there... they've been given dedicated Builders.

+Quote this post

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 26th April 2024, 12:45 AM