BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Dracula Untold, aka Vlad The Impaler vs dodgy Turks
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Popchartfreak
post Oct 22 2014, 07:40 PM
Post #1
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 17,376
Bit of a weird one this, more of a Greek epic than a vampire movie, but ends up being neither one nor the other and unsatisfying. I found the normally fab Dominic Cooper a bit "ooh, should he be doing that accent and in that shade of orange" given that the "goodies" were all speaking with British accents (surely THEY should be the ones with the dodgy vampire transylvanian accents?!) if the Turk boy-stealing hordes come over like bad kebab shop british accents....?

It's not a bad film, as such, some good performances (Charles Dance unrecognisable as wolf-man ancient-dracula man, is terrific) and the lead actor is fine (Luke Evans) complete with superhero sixpack, the special effects are terrific, pacing fine, but it just doesn't gel for me.....
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Insomnio
post Oct 28 2014, 11:35 PM
Post #2
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 10,742
"Dracula Untold" is a fantasy adventure film based on one of the most famous characters in literature and film. It is not based on the story of Dracula as everyone know through the novel of Irish Bram Stoker but the two screenwriters (Matt Sazama and Burk Sharpless) create their own version and their imagination passed all sensible limits. This is not bad since we have seen many times in cinema and on television the classic story of Dracula so it did not need another remake. However, the big studio productions tend to reproduce the same characters but with different stories in recent years, always following the easy route. This is how it is with the samples in music. Nevertheless, the movie theater was full of mostly young fans, and only the first two series of rows were empty which indicates that the Dracula stories are appealing in the new generations.
"Dracula Untold" was a little better than I expected. Do not imagine that I had high expectations about it. On the contrary, I expected that it would be tragic. However, its plot was interesting and the short length (92 minutes) was suitable as to not lose control and end up being a parody. It had some impressive visual effects although most graphics reminded me of that we encounter in videogames. I was convinced that I would see effects similar to those of "Van Helsing" but fortunately it didn't happen to that extent. Gary Shore having under his belt just a short film, considered a novice in cinema although Universal Pictures has entrusted him the "Dracula Untold" project. He did not fare too badly in his debut film, but I think that a more experienced director would have done a better job. Luke Evans was quite convincing in his role but most performances were quite lukewarm and became even worse in the parts which there was emotion between the characters. The script contained some historical references (janissaries etc.), showing the Turks as very bad and vicious, and I guess that in Turkey, people felt offended by it. As far as I remember the historical events during the 15th century, the Turks did not differ at all from the way they were showed by two screenwriters and director since many European countries suffered enough from them. However, I do not think this film is aimed at propaganda. As for the other elements of the film, the sets were elaborate and the photography was magnificent after the shooting took place in the beautiful green landscapes of Northern Ireland.
"Dracula Untold" has been a decent performance in most countries that showed worldwide. It did not fare well at the Box Office since Americans are rarely touched by heroes and monsters from Europe. They are usually interested in stories that are more correlated with their own urban legends. However, in other countries, it fared better and it has surpassed the money spent in the budget although received very negative reviews by critics. Personally, I do not think it was a bad movie but its quality was something between television and film production. It had better specifications than a television series, but worse than a movie (because performances, some visual effects etc.). However, it is viewed pleasantly and it's quite different from the other Dracula stories we've seen at times.

+Quote this post
NellyEverySundae
post Oct 29 2014, 11:51 AM
Post #3
Group icon
#TeamKrustyKrab
User: 20,675
The potential was there but I feel like it didn't really deliver in the end sad.gif It seemed a little comical than endearing. Visuals were great though

+Quote this post

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 users are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 02:17 PM