BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
12 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> General Whining
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
vidcapper
post Oct 9 2017, 08:13 AM
Post #21
Group icon
Paul Hyett
User: 364
Back on topic...

No sex on the census: ONS proposes making 'intrusive' question voluntary

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/10/08...tion-voluntary/
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Suedehead2
post Oct 9 2017, 08:48 AM
Post #22
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 3,272
The intention of the census change is to make due allowance for transgender people. That seems perfectly reasonable. OTOH, if a lot of people choose not to disclose their gender (for whatever reason) it will make the census data less useful for planning purposes.

+Quote this post
vidcapper
post Oct 9 2017, 09:19 AM
Post #23
Group icon
Paul Hyett
QUOTE(Suedehead2 @ Oct 9 2017, 09:48 AM) *
The intention of the census change is to make due allowance for transgender people. That seems perfectly reasonable.

Then why not 'male/female/'other' (*)

(*) depending on what euphemism is in vogue at the time.

OTOH, if a lot of people choose not to disclose their gender (for whatever reason) it will make the census data less useful for planning purposes.

I doubt many would refuse, since most people are very clear on their gender, and proud to declare it.

+Quote this post
Suedehead2
post Oct 9 2017, 09:50 AM
Post #24
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
QUOTE(vidcapper @ Oct 9 2017, 10:19 AM) *
Then why not 'male/female/'other' (*)

(*) depending on what euphemism is in vogue at the time.
I doubt many would refuse, since most people are very clear on their gender, and proud to declare it.

I think it's more a matter of people doing it for a joke - rather like declaring their religion as Jedi.

+Quote this post
vidcapper
post Oct 9 2017, 10:15 AM
Post #25
Group icon
Paul Hyett
QUOTE(Suedehead2 @ Oct 9 2017, 10:50 AM) *
I think it's more a matter of people doing it for a joke - rather like declaring their religion as Jedi.

Good point. smile.gif

But how did transgender people fill out that question in the past - and why couldn't they do the same in future?

+Quote this post
Qassändra
post Oct 9 2017, 05:55 PM
Post #26
Group icon
DROTTNING!
User: 480
The ONS has already said that the story is bollocks - they're still consulting on how they'll do the question.

+Quote this post
vidcapper
post Oct 10 2017, 06:16 AM
Post #27
Group icon
Paul Hyett
QUOTE(Qassändra @ Oct 9 2017, 06:55 PM) *
The ONS has already said that the story is bollocks - they're still consulting on how they'll do the question.

Then the next question must be - who fed the story to the papers?

+Quote this post
Suedehead2
post Oct 10 2017, 10:24 AM
Post #28
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
QUOTE(vidcapper @ Oct 10 2017, 07:16 AM) *
Then the next question must be - who fed the story to the papers?

Either somebody who opposed the change and wanted to create an outcry or someone (possibly acting on coded instructions from a minister) testing public opinion. They are the usual suspects. Given the papers which were fed the story, the former seems more likely.

+Quote this post
Silas
post Oct 10 2017, 12:52 PM
Post #29
Group icon
Queen of Soon
User: 3,474
The intention of the census change is to make due allowance for transgender people. That seems perfectly reasonable. OTOH, if a lot of people choose not to disclose their gender (for whatever reason) it will make the census data less useful for planning purposes.

Non-binary folks too!!

+Quote this post
vidcapper
post Oct 10 2017, 01:38 PM
Post #30
Group icon
Paul Hyett

Of course, even if people choose not to disclose it, whoever is transcribing it will usually be able to guess it from the name given on the form.

+Quote this post
vidcapper
post Oct 23 2017, 05:56 AM
Post #31
Group icon
Paul Hyett
I didn't want to start a new thread for this, but which would you say are the main protected minorities under law, and can you think of others that might be included?

To start the ball rolling :

Race
Religion (except Christianity perhaps) teresa.gif
Sexual Orientation

+Quote this post
vidcapper
post Oct 28 2017, 06:49 AM
Post #32
Group icon
Paul Hyett
Vicar bans hymn Onward Christian Soldiers from Remembrance Sunday service 'because not everyone attending will be Christian'

Even the leftist Daily Mirror has picked up on *this* one!

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/royal...urious-11419368

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post Oct 28 2017, 08:12 AM
Post #33
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 17,376
Think how popular a hymn called Onward Muslim Soldiers would be. Sentiment which is specifically aimed at one religion for those fighting in a war/wars is wrong and the choice not to use it (if true) is one I would support. For the record, people of all faiths died fighting the Nazis, who were not entirely claiming to not represent Christianity.

+Quote this post
vidcapper
post Oct 28 2017, 09:10 AM
Post #34
Group icon
Paul Hyett
QUOTE(Chop-part-freak @ Oct 28 2017, 09:12 AM) *
Think how popular a hymn called Onward Muslim Soldiers would be. Sentiment which is specifically aimed at one religion for those fighting in a war/wars is wrong and the choice not to use it (if true) is one I would support. For the record, people of all faiths died fighting the Nazis, who were not entirely claiming to not represent Christianity.

But I thought the point of the article was that it was to be sung in a church, so the chances of there being anyone there who would genuinely be offended would be very small. unsure.gif

+Quote this post
vidcapper
post Nov 8 2017, 07:09 AM
Post #35
Group icon
Paul Hyett
Another example of PC 'snowflakeness'

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cambridgeshire-41899293

Cambridge Uni students warned against 'good time' by prof

7 November 2017

New students at Queens' College were warned to be careful how they "handle" themselves
A Cambridge University professor who warned new students against having a "good time" has been criticised.
Prof Eugene Terentjev e-mailed science first years at Queens' College amid "rumours" of a rise in drinking games.
He advised Natural Sciences scholars that choosing to "enjoy their social life" could harm their grades on the "very hard" course.
A student mental health charity said the message promoted an "unhealthy and dangerous way to live".

How ironic is the last line. wacko.gif

Excessive drinking is far more likely to lead to health issues than overwork!

+Quote this post
Silas
post Nov 8 2017, 07:21 AM
Post #36
Group icon
Queen of Soon
User: 3,474
That has nothing to do with political correctness at all.

+Quote this post
vidcapper
post Nov 8 2017, 07:38 AM
Post #37
Group icon
Paul Hyett
QUOTE(5 Silas Frøkner @ Nov 8 2017, 07:21 AM) *
That has nothing to do with political correctness at all.

I don't entirely agree with you there - it's connected to the whole PC-derived notion of 'immunity from criticism', 'safe spaces' etc.

Apart from anything else, being 'wrapped up in cotton wool' will in no way prepare them for the world of work.

Refusing criticism in work will lead you to being sent to a 'safe space' in the local job centre!

You should see the Mail's headline to this story though...

'Revolt of Cambridge cry-babies: Freshers' fury after professor dares to tell them to stop drinking and start studying '

laugh.gif

+Quote this post
Suedehead2
post Nov 8 2017, 09:36 AM
Post #38
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
QUOTE(vidcapper @ Nov 8 2017, 07:38 AM) *
I don't entirely agree with you there - it's connected to the whole PC-derived notion of 'immunity from criticism', 'safe spaces' etc.

Apart from anything else, being 'wrapped up in cotton wool' will in no way prepare them for the world of work.

Refusing criticism in work will lead you to being sent to a 'safe space' in the local job centre!

You should see the Mail's headline to this story though...

'Revolt of Cambridge cry-babies: Freshers' fury after professor dares to tell them to stop drinking and start studying '

laugh.gif

But I thought the Wail was opposed to people being given advice. I thought that was the nanny state.

+Quote this post
vidcapper
post Nov 8 2017, 10:43 AM
Post #39
Group icon
Paul Hyett
QUOTE(Suedehead2 @ Nov 8 2017, 09:36 AM) *
But I thought the Wail was opposed to people being given advice. I thought that was the nanny state.

I thought 'Nanny State' meant using the law to enforce behaviour, rather than just offering advice? unsure.gif

+Quote this post
vidcapper
post Nov 16 2017, 06:48 AM
Post #40
Group icon
Paul Hyett
Another example :

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverp...demand-13905776

A group of students are demanding their university change the name of its halls in a row over slavery.

The Liverpool University students said they were “horrified” their accommodation was named after Liverpool-born former prime minister William Gladstone.

They claim the university should not commemorate the major 19th century Liberal politician as they claim he did not wholeheartedly support the abolition of slavery.

They suggested replacing his name on the Roscoe & Gladstone building, which is currently being demolished to be re-developed, with that of Channel 4 presenter Jon Snow.

Article continues

In cases like this, the cynical part of me wonders what a bit of genealogy might turn up about almost anyone's ancestors...

+Quote this post

12 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 users are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 10:25 PM