BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
> 
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> RATE RESULTS • Doctor Who Series 11
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Klaus
post 27th January 2019, 11:09 AM
Post #1
Group icon
❤️❤️➕🟦
User: 17,160

COMING SHORTLY - the results of the rate for Doctor Who Series 11! We'll find out if the Pting should have returned in the finale instead of Tim Shaw and whether ensuring that Rosa Parks refused to give up her seat made for a better episode than a sentient universe ending up as a frog on a chair. Welcome to Doctor Who.

The Woman Who Fell to Earth
The Ghost Monument
Rosa
Arachnids in the UK
The Tsuranga Conundrum
Demons of the Punjab
Kerblam!
The Witchfinders
It Takes You Away
The Battle of Ranskoor Av Kolos
Resolution
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Klaus
post 27th January 2019, 11:52 AM
Post #2
Group icon
❤️❤️➕🟦

11. The Tsuranga Conundrum | 4.64

(me at pting h8rs)

Highest: 9 (DalekTurret), 7.5 (ElectroBoy)
Lowest: 2 (Burbe), 0 (Meekul)

So your least favourite episode of last year was the one that featured one of the universe's most deadliest (and unusual) creatures... which turned out to be a cute tiny creature who just liked eating whatever came into its sight. The team are taken to a spaceship hospital (the spaceship part is apparently an early twist but I don't think anyone thought otherwise considering the set design and lack of windows). The Doctor is unusually experiencing a lot pain, a plot line that kind of just fades out. The team meet a whole bunch of guest cast - some a lot more memorable than others, one of them dying in an exact replica of a scene in Chibnall's first Doctor Who episode '42'.

The worst part of the episode that really brings it down for me is the large focus on the pregnant man. What seems like it will be a one-off joke, to maybe be brought back for a small line at the end of the episode (like Duke of Manhattan in 'New Earth') suddenly has a large focus on screen time despite not adding anything at all. On reflection, having watched the rest of the series (& Resolution), it's clear this is being forced to add character development to Ryan and provide more backstory regarding his relationship with his Dad - which is properly explored in Resolution. The problem is that you don't really care and that storyline becomes one of the weaker elements of Resolution. One of the weaker elements of the whole series is the character development of the three companions - it is there but it's never solid enough, or written in a way, that you end up caring for the characters like you do with Rose, Martha, Donna etc. Anyway, back to the pregnant man, in a series full of societal messages - this is one that isn't needed and takes away from the episode.

Let's talk about the greatest thing to come out of Series 11 - the PTING. I stan. Maybe seriously. Maybe not. What let's the pting down is the weird inclusion in the plot synopsis of it being one of the deadliest creatures in the universe. I mean, maybe in the monster-free Series 11 but definitely not in the Doctor Who universe where you have Daleks, Cybermen, Sontarans, Autons etc. He is very very cute though and I will not here anything different. I do like how he just unintentionally causes mayhem and I do think this could have made a strong story if it was written better and had no pregnant men.

Joseph says: "gets a bit of a hard time even if it's not a classic, the Pting is interesting but overhyped and isn't focused on enough, and we could've ditched the pregnant man quite easily."

Dandy* says: "Pretty much dreadful. The pregnant guy is the low point of the entire series. Essentially a monster chasing them around a spaceship genre that I usually like, undone by the monster not actually wanting to chase them at all."

Meekul says: iconec as it is, you have to admit, the pting is shit. Checked me phone A LOT during this one.

+Quote this post
Klaus
post 27th January 2019, 12:33 PM
Post #3
Group icon
❤️❤️➕🟦

10. It Takes You Away | 5.97

Highest: 9 (BridgeCow, Joseph), 8.5 (DalekTurret)
Lowest: 3 (Meekul, Klaus), 2 (Jester)

Forever destined to be known as the one with the frog on a chair – something I keep perpetuating too. Not only that but it’s a sentient universe choosing the image of a frog on a chair and using the voice of a dead Northern woman. If that doesn’t sum up how bonkers Doctor Who can get, I’m not sure what can. I think the image is further ruined as the trailer that aired before the series went out ended on the Doctor waving off an unknown figure in an extremely emotional way in a white landscape, suggesting this was to be a pivotal moment of the series… only for it to be a F R O G O N A C H A I R.

Enough of that. I was so hyped for this episode beforehand as we knew nothing about it and it was hyped as a Nordic thriller, Cabin in the Woods episode with everything not being as it seems. Well the latter part was definitely true… The use of a blind protagonist could have had a really interesting dynamic if they’d had proper monster in a similar way to the deaf character in Before the Flood. Instead we got a mirror universe and, once again, no real monster. I do love the fact that everything in the mirror episode was flipped like an actual mirror and that it played on grief, a really important topic. It was lovely to see Grace back, showing a character with actual personality unlike Yaz and Ryan – maybe the real TARDIS team should have been The Doctor, Grace and Graham!

That’s where the parts that I like end though as everything else just didn’t feel right to me. I really did not like the scenes in the Antizone – they ended up just been a forced threat that the episode was lacking and they didn’t add anything to the plot. The monster thing in there vanished as soon as he had arrived and was just completely forgettable. The whole episode was a bit too fantasy for me which doesn’t sit right with the Doctor Who that I enjoy.

Joseph says: I really liked this, a brilliant experimental episode. The frog is stupid really but I loved the rest of it.

dandy* says: I enjoyed much of this one, the scenery for starters! I also quite enjoyed the sense of a scandi style bleak plot with time shifts and dimensions.

Meekul says: New phone who dis? Was this that awful universe frog one? Only gave it a three due to the moths and light balls bit. That was an interesting enough story on its own without the frog stuff. Frog stuff on a chair, sorry, talking frog stuff on a chair = jumped the shark.

+Quote this post
Calum
post 27th January 2019, 01:07 PM
Post #4
Group icon
nabad
Pronouns: he/him
User: 18,316

I actually enjoyed The Tsuranga Conundrum more when I rewatched all the episodes on DVD, but it's definitely still one of the weakest of the series. The first half is brilliant, but it all falls apart towards the end - mostly out of boredom and not anything interesting actually going on.

+Quote this post
Chez Wombat
post 27th January 2019, 02:00 PM
Post #5
Group icon
The owls are not what they seem
Pronouns: He/him
User: 9,232

Frog on a Chair beating Pting *.* I really wanted It Takes You Away to be good and it had some wonderful moments of character, but it just wasn't concluded well and the story added a lot of features like moths, the Gollum-esque creature and the Antizone that felt pointless to the overall plot. Tsuranga was pointless all the way through though, I don't think I was ever once engaged and that's difficult for me from this show!

+Quote this post
dandy*
post 27th January 2019, 02:14 PM
Post #6
Group icon
Mansonette
User: 54

Oh my at the Joseph and dandy says bits! Mine were so throwaway that i dread to think what I could have put for some of them laugh.gif

Pregnant man finishing last. Good.

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post 27th January 2019, 02:30 PM
Post #7
Group icon
you never forget your first time...
User: 13,530

The pregnant man was definitely the lowest point of the series, but I didn't mind The Tsuranga Conundrum on the whole! Not a surprise to see it last though.

I wasn't expecting It Takes You Away out so soon though, I actually really enjoy that one sad.gif

+Quote this post
Klaus
post 29th January 2019, 08:18 PM
Post #8
Group icon
❤️❤️➕🟦

09. The Battle of Ranskoor Av Kolos | 6.14

Highest: 10 (DalekTurret), 8.5 (Calum)
Lowest: 3 (lotita), 0 (Jester)

Following in the footsteps of Daleks v Cybermen, Davros' return, the end of the universe, the reveal of Missy and the grand return of Gallifrey, this year's series finale was an epic of all proportions as we got the BIG. RETURN. OFFFFFFFFFFFF.

Tim Shaw. nocheer.gif

With a series that lacked in a series arc, we had no build up to a proper finale and so it kind of.. came and went. It did start off quite epic as we got religious connotations with the Ux but, after a hyped hint at a returning monster, that was revealed to be Tim Shaw. You know, that alien that was perhaps the most forgettable moment of a great series opener. Suddenly we were meant to believe he was on pting levels of the most deadliest aliens in the universe. To my suprise there were actually some good scenes that came from Tim Shaw in the episode, mostly in his talk with the Doctor. I started to feel that he might actually be a good villain and he came across very menacing. It sort of resembled Davros scenes in The Witches Familiar. However, I soon learnt the error of my ways as once he was free of his life support systems and he turned back into a damp squib with no real aim. I mean... he can't fend of Graham and Ryan :')

As I said though, I did actually quite like the Ux although they were underdeveloped. I would have loved that to have been explored a bit more. The captured planets was also glanced over a lot, again it resembled another story with The Pirate Planet.

It all ended up being a bit... nothingy aside from the Tim/Doctor scene so it has a deserved position in 9th.

Joseph says: not a bad episode but an underwhelming finale, didn't have enough oomph and Tim Shaw wasn't an exciting enough villain for the stakes to feel high. However, he was more menacing than in the opener.

dandy* says: I quite enjoyed this at the time but it didn't have that epic feel to it that closers often have, really was just a part II to the first episode.

Meekul says: Not much to say. A standard episode. It was alright, and for once the enemy was an actual threat!

+Quote this post
Klaus
post 29th January 2019, 08:22 PM
Post #9
Group icon
❤️❤️➕🟦

omg twist

9th place is a JOINT position - what joins The Battle of Ranskoor Av Koos in ninth place ohmy.gif

+Quote this post
Klaus
post 29th January 2019, 08:35 PM
Post #10
Group icon
❤️❤️➕🟦

09. Arachnids in the UK | 6.14

Highest: 9 (DalekTurret), 8.5 (Burbe)
Lowest: 4 (Chez Wombat), 3.5 (ElectroBoy)

This was a much needed monster romp even though the spiders were just actually... spiders rather than anything alien. Continuing with my throwbacks to other episodes, spiders have featured before in a Doctor Who story with Planet of the Spiders (giving us an iconic image of Sarah Jane with a spider on her back *.*) but in this story they were able to be part of an out and out HORROR. Indeed, I'm not scared of spiders but definitely featured some of the most memorably chilling scenes the show has ever scene. omg when that giant spider came out of the bath eeek! It was these scenes featuring the spiders where a LOT of the enjoyment came from. It was definitely a fun romp.

Beyond that though, the rest of the episode doesn't stand up. Well, I guess we do actually see Yaz's family which I was very grateful for. The little we saw of them together made them seem like a fun bunch and whilst Yaz's mum was no Jackie, it was great to have her as part of the action and she was able to add a more interesting dynamic than Ryan's dad later on in Resolution. However, the addition of her boss who was just essentially Trump was really unneeded and is listed under 'unnecessary social commentary' with the pregnant man. TV series have exploded over the past two years with its own interpretations of the Trump mess, some brilliant, some not so great and Doctor Who was one of the shows were it wasn't needed. Also, the story kind of just ended. The spiders are still giant, the Doctor leaves them to die, there's still the spider in the flat, what if there are other spiders about. sooo rip sheffield.

Joseph says: I enjoyed this a lot at the time but when you realise all the plotholes, it falls down quite quickly. Shame as it had a lot of potential and all it needed was one or two more scenes to wrap up all of the spiders outside of the hotel.

dandy* says: it was okay but, as Joseph says, it kind of gets worse after you've watched it and realise the amount of holes in it all.

Meekul says: Urgh. A Trump surrogate who mentions Trump. A story with more holes than a pro Brexit or pro Trump argument. No character development. The spiders were good and had good graphics, but come on. What happened to the spider next door?! Why did she leave them there to starve? What about the rest overrunning the city? Why did the spiders know how to make that shape across the map of a city? Why Mr Big as Trump 2.0? This episode: Just WHY?

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post 29th January 2019, 08:45 PM
Post #11
Group icon

Battle really did lack the excitement of most finales, I was quite looking forward to an arc-free series after the mess of some of Moffat's but actually I'm really missing them now :')

Arachnids had some really brilliant moments - the spiders were used excellently, but I agree the Trump-a-like was really not needed (or perhaps, it could have been less on the nose?) and thinking about all the plot holes afterwards just made it fall down in my estimations. Lots of potential, and perhaps one that could have benefited from being a two-parter to allow it to fill out more?

+Quote this post
Chez Wombat
post 29th January 2019, 09:11 PM
Post #12
Group icon

I mean they both had some of the weakest conclusions of the whole series so that fits - Battle... was promising and then Tim Shaw just disconnected himself from his planet support thing and him potentially destroying the universe and...he's just beaten by Graham and Ryan. Woop.

Arachnids... was the absolute worst though, it's like the writer stopped writing mid-episode, there was just no resolution at all. They clearly didn't understand the Doctor very well either as the Doctor would NEVER leave a threat on Earth, no matter how much they sympathised with it.

+Quote this post
Klaus
post 29th January 2019, 09:19 PM
Post #13
Group icon
❤️❤️➕🟦

QUOTE(Chez Wombat @ Jan 29 2019, 09:11 PM) *
Arachnids... was the absolute worst though, it's like the writer stopped writing mid-episode, there was just no resolution at all. They clearly didn't understand the Doctor very well either as the Doctor would NEVER leave a threat on Earth, no matter how much they sympathised with it.

It was Chibnall so... we’re in for an interesting few years kink.gif

+Quote this post
Chez Wombat
post 29th January 2019, 10:20 PM
Post #14
Group icon

See also Dinosaurs on a Spaceship with the Doctor willingly letting someone die (never forget :/)

+Quote this post
Klaus
post 31st January 2019, 08:42 PM
Post #15
Group icon
❤️❤️➕🟦

07. The Ghost Monument | 6.50

Highest: 10 (DalekTurret), 8.5 (ElectroBoy)
Lowest: 4.5 (Dexton), 3 (dandy*)

After the cliffhanger that ended The Woman Who Fell to Earth, Team Tardis were left stranded... in SPACE. The Ghost Monument starts with them being quickly picked up by the last two beings involved in a gigantic space race. They land on the planet Desolation and it becomes a race to reach the ghost monument revealed to be... the TARDIS omg.

The episode starts with the team split up which I'd have really loved to have continued for longer at the start of the episode. Perhaps one of the errors in throughout the series is that The Doctor, Yaz, Graham and Ryan are rarely split up so you have the full team together with the 2-3 guest characters of the week meaning that no one, apart from the Doctor really gets their chance to shine. It's why we don't really feel like we know the companions enough as we normally do. Anyway, the full team are travelling across Desolation which is true to its name and they encounter terrifying and memorable monsters such as Sniper-bots and flying cloths. The flying cloths do look stupid on paper but actually, I think somehow they could have been turned into something interesting. I say that as the scene where they're suffocating Shaun Dooley is actually quite creepy but they're not really used beyond that! The episode, like many others, really would have benefited from a strong threat - maybe one that was also involved in the race.

Overall, I do think it was a standard episode, the Doctor Who version of a Nice biscuit - inoffensive, not terrible but not amazing either. I did love the final reveal of the TARDIS interior though, even if it may not be my favourite design. It was definitely a moment <3

Joseph says: nice character moments but not especially interesting on its own

dandy* says: I can't really recall anything about it - was it the one with the flying sheet things?

Meekul says: The ghost sheets were iconic and a moment. However, the rest of the episode, apart from the Tardis reveal, was a bit of a damp squid. I was hoping the sheets would start off the mystery arc, but they didn't'. The killer robots were not needed either. The funniest part was Ryan tryna fire the gun like in Call of Duty ... completely ignoring his dyspraxia from the last episode. Oops. I would've preferred it if they didn't find the Tardis and spent the season chasing it however. That would have fixed the Rosa research plot hole.

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post 31st January 2019, 08:49 PM
Post #16
Group icon

There's some great ideas in The Ghost Monument but the episode's not as exciting as it really should be. Definitely some nice character moments but would've benefited from splitting the cast up a little, I agree!

+Quote this post
Klaus
post 31st January 2019, 09:04 PM
Post #17
Group icon
❤️❤️➕🟦

06. Demons of the Punjab | 7.54

Highest: 10 (DalekTurret), 9.5 (Joseph)
Lowest: 6.5 (Slick, ElectroBoy), 4 (Meekul)

We jump up a whole point for Demons of the Punjab, perhaps highlighting a series of two halfs. Demons... is also our first historical. Often considered some of the weaker episodes of the series, the historicals this series were all largely highly praised and indeed feature in the top half of the rate. I feel Demons is also one of the biggest throwbacks to the First Doctor era as it's almost a pure historical episode. The aliens (or DEMONS) don't really have an impact on the overarching plot and definitely aren't as prominent as the title suggests. Instead, we explore the impact of the Partition of India on one family, Yaz's family. We spend a lot of time with the family in the lead up to Yaz's grandmother's wedding to a Hindu man. It was nice to focus more on the underdeveloped Yaz. It's a great exploration of the culture and a lesson in breaking down boundaries. There's a beautiful story at the heart of it, if perhaps a little uneventful which does hold it back when viewing it in the perspective of a Doctor Who episode. It did also feel slightly like a lesser Rosa, I agree with dandy*'s comments below - it would have felt stronger if we hadn't seen Rosa three weeks before! I do love the ending and the end credits music is perfect. A great focus on a piece of history that is often overlooked.

Joseph says: really enjoyable, way more than I expected, the aliens were a nice touch if unnecessary in the end and I loved the closer focus on Yaz.

dandy* says: Nice enough story. I feel I would have enjoyed this more if it didn't follow on from Rosa earlier in the series.

Meekul says: Eh. It was okay. Yaz had some screentime which was sorely needed. Otherwise it was just a worse version of Rosa.

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post 31st January 2019, 09:46 PM
Post #18
Group icon

Disappointingly low!! sad.gif

+Quote this post
Calum
post 31st January 2019, 10:15 PM
Post #19
Group icon
nabad
User: 18,316

Yeah Demons of the Punjab is far too low! Loved it the first time, and when rewatching it was even more special. heart.gif I can never quite make my mind up about The Ghost Monument. I think it's got plenty to enjoy in it, but it just kinda sails along for the most part without anything particularly amazing happening.

+Quote this post
Klaus
post 5th February 2019, 08:15 PM
Post #20
Group icon
❤️❤️➕🟦

05. The Woman Who Fell to Earth | 7.74

Highest: 9 (Meekul, Klaus, DalekTurret)
Lowest: 7 (Jester, ElectroBoy, Dexton, lotitia, bridgecow, dandy*, Tombo)

This is interesting as the series opener only received either a 7, 8 or 9 from everyone - the only other episodes that didn't receive a 10 were Arachnids... and Tsuranga! Anyway, this is the episode that completely kickstarted a new era (for better or worse) as everyone was wiped clean (except for the obligatory use of the previous Doctor's clothes). We had a NEW exec, NEW Doctor (a female one at that), three NEW companions, a NEW composer and so on. This is definitely a solid episode in showcasing all that. I absolutely love the opening scenes (Joseph Sinclair, don't you dare!!) and the cinematography of our new base in Sheffield is glorious. We actually get some intrigue too with mysterious alien object 101.

The strongest elements of the episode are (oddly, after seeing the rest of the series) the characterisations. We rightly focus on the new companions first, and their stories/background before the Doctor literally drops in and gives us our first glimpse of the type of Doctor she'll be. Although, what is slightly annoying is that the best character that is introduced (perhaps intentionally??) is poor old Grace. She's given her chance to shine but sadly a fall from a crane is all it takes to off her, while the Doctor gets away with a fall from the sky without a scratch just one hour before. Looking back, I would have actually loved a team of the Doctor, Graham & Grace travelling together - what a twist on the conventional team that would be!

As with openers like Rose & The Eleventh Hour, a fully morphed villain takes the back seat so that the episode showcases the new characters. As already mentioned, Tim Shaw is quite the underwhelming villain and is just a darker version of what you might have seen pop up on the Sarah Jane Adventures. We also get a random coil thing that does... coily stuff. Anyway, they do their job for this episode as there's not really room for a fully fledged, all guns blazing villain - it is just unfortunate that a season without threats means Tim is somehow becomes the most threatening villain of the series.

Overall, it was a very strong opener that definitely did it's job (and did it WELL). It looked gorgeous, we were introduced to all the characters and it should have then helped the remaining episodes build new worlds and terrifying monsters whilst telling interesting stories.

(sorry this is me at my most rambling YET)

Joseph says: A solid opening episode, setting the characters up well and of course, it gains a bonus mark for "Ryan Sinclair, don't you dare" x

dandy* says: solid enough opener, Jodie the obvious highlight

Meekul says: What a start to the season! The best bit was when she fell through the roof onto the train. The enemies were interesting, especially that electric coil one. I liked that it had a scientific, rather than fantastic, explanation, too, which is something that had been missing through a lot of the awful Capaldi years, with magical offspring from magical robot men who rose into the sky with magical love, and then who died, but still had the magical offspring.

The bit where she made the tech, like the screwdriver and teleportation sequencer, from earth parts was a lil far fetched, but still iconic.

Ryan and Yazmin showed more personality here than across the rest of the series combined. There was no need for Grace to die. She was far better than Bradley Walsh and Ryan.

The best moment of the season happened here too - R r R r r r r rr rrrrrrrrŕrrrrrrrrrrrryan StClaire don't you daaaare!

+Quote this post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 25th April 2024, 10:23 PM