BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
> 
2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> RATE RESULTS • Doctor Who Series 11
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
DalekTurret32
post 5th February 2019, 11:35 PM
Post #21
Group icon
FIVE YEARS OF THE TURRET 15-20
User: 21,666

LOL, my name keeps popping up in the Highest sections.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Calum
post 6th February 2019, 01:16 AM
Post #22
Group icon
nabad
Pronouns: he/him
User: 18,316

That's probably about right for The Woman Who Fell to Earth, considering what's still to come. I enjoyed it a lot when rewatching it. I wouldn't say it's one of the best episodes ever, but it did the job it needed to do.

Rosa and Kerblam! to slay now please heart.gif

+Quote this post
Klaus
post 9th February 2019, 01:06 PM
Post #23
Group icon
❤️❤️➕🟦
User: 17,160

04. Kerblam! | 8.17

Highest: 10 (Calum, Jester, Burbe, Tombo), 9.5 (DalekTurret)
Lowest: 6 (ElectroBoy), 5 (bridgecow, Slick)

Kerblam! was definitely the most traditional Doctor Who episode of the series. For me, it's uncertain whether I liked it because it was a great episode or because I was craving an episode with an actual threat and lots of action. Essentially, I keep questioning whether this would be a filler episode in another series or whether it would still be a standout. The episode was written by an uberfan which may explain all this.

Anyway, the episode is essentially set on space Amazon where 90% of the workforce is automated and there is a quota in place to ensure 10% are actual beings. The 10% are run by HR queen Judy who, in a twist, actually ISN'T the bad guy. Instead, the bad guy is interestingly a protester against increasing automation use who is using killer bubble wrap (once again, why not?).

This was one of the most colourful episodes and the design of the Kerblam! robots are actually really creepy. It's therefore a shame they aren't used more effectively and the real weapon is some bubble wrap. However, I guess it is a nice change from automated robots gone wrong. The episode was also full of action - the Toy Story scene may not have been entirely necessary but it was certainly a lot of FUN which is what was needed! Overall, a much need fun romp.

Joseph says: an enjoyable episode with probably the best mix of character and action across the main series. Wish there was more of an actual alien threat though!

dandy* says: Enjoyable and fun romp in a typical Who style, really liked it but think it deserved to be a two parter.

Meekul says: I liked it! A fun romp through Amazon HQ. I liked the disgruntled villain too, but the robot threat needed some work. Ryan StClaire proving once again he is only dyspraxic now and then when on a bike.

+Quote this post
Klaus
post 9th February 2019, 01:23 PM
Post #24
Group icon
❤️❤️➕🟦

03. The Witchfinders | 8.20

Highest: 10 (Tombo, lotitia), 9.5 (DalekTurret)
Lowest: 6 (Slick), 5.5 (dandy*)

This was one that I was really looking forward to after two strong historicals and a period I'd only just thought weeks before would be a great area for Doctor Who to explore, particularly with the Doctor now being a woman. It didn't disappoint either, although I guess there was slightly less focus on the trials than I'd hoped for (there's always something to complain about x).

The guest stars were one of the absolute highlights, which would always happen with Siobhan Finneran and Alan Cumming. King James I was brilliant, with his lusting over Ryan and his scene with The Doctor (allowing Jodie a chance to truly shine in the role). The mud villains were really strong at the start as well - I remember there was a really creepy moment where we first saw them. Again, the usual complaint of Series 11 is that I wished they'd been used more effectively as they showed sign of promise. They were an actual threat for once but, for most of the time, the King James storyline overshadowed the actual menace of the monsters. The transformation of Siobhan to the Morax Queen was really great but, from that point on, the episode did get a bit weaker, because they won't given the proper chance to shine. We got a rushed ending/resolution. However, everything before that, really was so strong. If I could chose any story this series to be a two-parter, I think I would choose this one just to develop the alien threat more and use the menace of the mud witches more at the start whilst keeping the King James elements and the witch trial elements too.

Joseph says: another strong historical, King James I is a hoot and the aliens are pretty creepy at the start.

dandy* says: it was alright I guess but got worse as the episode progressed for me after peaking at the point the mud witch appeared.

Meekul says: I loved it. A lot of fun and also another historical lesson in the darkness of humanity and its treatment of the Other - this time women and female power. The Mad May lookalike reanimated familiar faces were interesting and threatening too.

+Quote this post
Klaus
post 9th February 2019, 01:23 PM
Post #25
Group icon
❤️❤️➕🟦

It's the battle of the rrrrrrrs as we have RESOLUTION v ROSA. Both with averages of 9 point something.

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post 9th February 2019, 01:32 PM
Post #26
Group icon
you never forget your first time...
User: 13,530

Absolutely the right top 2, either one would be deserved wub.gif

+Quote this post
DalekTurret32
post 9th February 2019, 02:16 PM
Post #27
Group icon
FIVE YEARS OF THE TURRET 15-20
User: 21,666

I'm guessing Rosa

+Quote this post
dandy*
post 9th February 2019, 05:18 PM
Post #28
Group icon
Mansonette
User: 54

Surely Rosa has this.

Kerblam though wub.gif

+Quote this post
Klaus
post 15th February 2019, 08:43 PM
Post #29
Group icon
❤️❤️➕🟦

02. Resolution | 9.20

Highest: 11 (DalekTurret, Dexton, JosephStyles), 10 (Calum, Burbe, lotitia, bridgecow)
Lowest: 7 (Tombo), 5 (Slick)

We wanted a threat all through Series 11 and we finally got one, as the original and still the best came back for the first New Year's Day special the show has seen. GONE are the shoe-horned Christmas references that has seen Robot Santas, Killer Trees, Killer Angels, an interpretation of A Christmas Carol, Killer Snowmen, a town called Christmas and SANTA HIMSELF. Instead, we got a couple of references that it was New Year's Day and a reduced workforce that probably helped the Dalek in his plans as everyone else is nursing a hangover.

Yes, the Dalek (in single form) is BACK. Their first proper adventure since Series 9's opener The Witches Familiar! However, we didn't see them in their usual form as a special Reconnaissance Dalek decided to take things into his own hand and create his own armour out of whatever was around. It produced a... different look which was great for the special but let's just hope we don't see it again. The Dalek really was menacing though, particularly in it's squid form as it suddenly got special powers and can now control humans by 'being something on your back' (x). I guess it does work after we saw those human robot Daleks in Asylum of the Daleks previously.

There was a lot more action in the episode too, particularly with a speeding car and a showdown between the military which made things a lot more exciting. However, the down sides were that we got a throwaway scene that could potentially have lasting impact as UNIT's funding has suddenly vanished despite it having a base under the Tower of London, having the President of the World as its scientific adviser and having to manage alien invasions (including an ongoing Zygon threat).... Also, we got a 'comedic' Wifi scene with a joke that has been done a thousand times before and was just out of place. Another thng that was out of place was the Ryan/Dad scenes, particularly in the cafe - I just didn't care which is how I feel overall about Ryan and Yaz.. It really should have worked but for some reason it just felt boring.

Joseph says: outdid all of my expectations in spectacular style. Think this will have high rewatchability too!

dandy* says: I enjoyed it on the whole but it still suffered from the common problem the series had, good idea with quite poor execution. Quite a lot of build up just for things to all come to a head too quickly because of the shorter timings for the episodes.

Meekul says: Occam's Razor meant that oven microwave combo was always gonna be used to defeat the Dalek. The beginning medieval battle with the Dalek was cheesy af. If a modern army can't do it, Scottish men on horseback can't. The Ryan dad bits were teeeeeeeerrible. 1. Dinet care. 2. He CANAE ACT!!

Other than that it was an exciting episode with the biggest threat YET - well, since the Pting - for this season. There was a huge plothole though. She scanned one of them straight away, but not the one THAT HAD BEEN IN CONTACT WITH THE DALEK THAT HAD JUST DISAPPEARED.

+Quote this post
Klaus
post 15th February 2019, 08:43 PM
Post #30
Group icon
❤️❤️➕🟦

01. Rosa | 9.9

Highest: 11 (Meekul, Klaus, Calum, Jester, Burbe, lotitia), 10 (Chez Wombat, DalekTurret, Dexton, JosephStyles)
Lowest: 7 (Tombo)

(would have had an average of over 10 without that 7)

Wow. Talented. Brilliant. Incredible. Amazing. Showstopping. Spectacular.

Such a deserving winner and one that will certainly go down as one of the show's best. It may have been a weaker series overall but it was probably worth it just for this episode. It has been rare for the show to venture into recent history but this episode shows how the show can use it's central premise to make a comment on society that still resonates today. The Doctor has always been about defeating the bad guys and, by stopping Krasko's plans here, she is directly ensuring that the civil rights movement gains prominence and rarely has the Doctor been so 'political'. The real life events are perfectly portrayed as well. We get a glimpse into the world of 1950s America and the relationships between the races, in a way that is suitable for a family audience but does not hide away from the reality of it. With one companion that is black and another who is Muslim, we get interesting perspectives and the parallels of what is still continuing today. Further, the show has tackled political ideas before, particularly re immigration and race (Silurians, The Mutants, Zygons) and there have been a couple or so throwaway mentions with Martha & Bill but this is the most direct the show has ever been with something like racism as it isn't covered up by a monster as seen before. Here, the monster is everyday humans.

Even looking beyond the context of the episode, I love the whole idea of ensuring that a pivotal moment in time happens. It's a concept that has never really been explored so explicitly before. It has been touched on before (The Fires of Pompeii) and The Waters of Mars obviously has a twist on it but I don't believe it has ever been the focus of the full story which feels odd! It does mean Krasko is a bit villain 101 and we never understand his intentions and he is just a side-villain but that's completely okay here because anything more would undermine the actual background to the real life event.

It all leads up to what may be one of my favourite TV moments ever, never mind Doctor Who moment as we get to the actual scene on the bus. The acting by all is incredible and the realisation of the whole team that they are the ones who have to contribute to the reason Rosa is asked/forced to move is incredible, particularly that it is Graham, standing as a white man, who Rosa has to move for. The underlay of 'Rise Up' is perfect as well, it's empowering and brings the whole scene together. The episode, and that scene in particular, could not leave my mind after watching the episode and it really stayed with me in the following days despite having full knowledge of Rosa Parks beforehand and the full Civil Rights Movement (as well as of course the racism that continues today). It shows how powerful TV can be and especially our little ol' show. heart.gif

Joseph says: sensitively handled, brilliantly portrayed and just superb all round

dandy* says: Good story and done well, villain was pointless though

Meekul says: Wow. Incredible Doctor Who, made even more incredible by how much it offended Little Englanders and the Daily Mail who were already outraged by the female gender. Careful, incels, your racism is showing!

11/10. Everything was spot on, except the research bit. She has a bloody Tardis! The ending with that bootiful song and the twist of them stealing Rosa's seat and being powerless to change history was fantastic, showed the dark side of humanity, and how we should not shy away from learning about it through history.

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post 15th February 2019, 09:26 PM
Post #31
Group icon
you never forget your first time...
User: 13,530

But wow, what a moment I will never forget. A moment that is most pleasing to me in my career.

Superb winner, will for sure go down as a Doctor Who classic heart.gif thanks for hosting Klaus!!!

+Quote this post
Chez Wombat
post 15th February 2019, 10:07 PM
Post #32
Group icon
The owls are not what they seem
Pronouns: He/him
User: 9,232

Just about the right top 2, not perfect, but Resolution is a good indication of a callback to classic Doctor Who even if it was marred by those awful Ryan scenes and Rosa shows the best that this new incarnation can do and got the level of emotion just right, even when almost completely departing from the sci-fi aspect!

+Quote this post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 25th April 2024, 10:06 PM