BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
15 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Body Language ● album discussion, 9th album ● 2003
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
pippa
post 14th May 2020, 03:55 PM
Post #21
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 14,031

Body Language was a courageous move after the roaring success of Fever.
That said, it shows Kylie, when she moves away from pop she loses fans.
Each time Kylie moves slightly away from pop the follow up leads her back to it with improvements.
After Body Language came 2 great singles, I Believe In You and Giving You Up.
Kiss Me Once was another slight move away from pop and back she came with the wonderful Golden.
The same could be said for Light Years following in the footsteps of Impossible Princess.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Padamic Tension
post 14th May 2020, 07:57 PM
Post #22
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
User: 845

Ya when kylie sticks to pop the audience react better. It's a shame she went so far away in sound from fever with body language as if she hadn't I really think she would have had a far bigger selling album. She def didnt take full advantage of the bug success by following it up with something similar. If I believe in you was the lead single on the fever follow up things would have been different.

+Quote this post
pippa
post 14th May 2020, 08:16 PM
Post #23
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

I would have preferred something similar to Fever as it was a style I enjoyed and the market enjoyed what Kylie was offering.
Body Language R n B lavour falls flat and the songs in large lack clear identity.
There was braveness in the move by Kylie but it was a disappointing move.

+Quote this post
Padamic Tension
post 15th May 2020, 01:51 AM
Post #24
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol

It was brave but I'd have preferred something safer.

+Quote this post
Jessie Where
post 15th May 2020, 10:03 AM
Post #25
Group icon
Break the tension
User: 51

I appreciate and respect the fact she didn't just spit out a carbon copy of Fever though, even though it would have been the easy and predictable thing to do.

I do still have very special memories attached to the album and I probably wouldn't change anything (except 'Secret' being a single, I'll never get over that). I'd also say the album is largely electro-pop than R&B.

+Quote this post
Jessie Where
post 15th May 2020, 10:08 AM
Post #26
Group icon
Break the tension

QUOTE(pippa @ May 14 2020, 04:55 PM) *
Body Language was a courageous move after the roaring success of Fever.
That said, it shows Kylie, when she moves away from pop she loses fans.
Each time Kylie moves slightly away from pop the follow up leads her back to it with improvements.
After Body Language came 2 great singles, I Believe In You and Giving You Up.
Kiss Me Once was another slight move away from pop and back she came with the wonderful Golden.
The same could be said for Light Years following in the footsteps of Impossible Princess.

How is Kiss Me Once a move away from pop? I fully get that you don't like the album, but it's as about as pop as you can get.

+Quote this post
pippa
post 15th May 2020, 02:33 PM
Post #27
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

The album feels more dubstep R&B in many parts than pop.
Most of the tracks are not dancefloor fillers and lack the feel good intensity that many Kylie tracks usually offer.

+Quote this post
Red Blooded Man
post 15th May 2020, 02:57 PM
Post #28
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 822

Body Language lacks a killer track that propels it to the stardom Fever enjoys. Slow provided a fantastic beginning but nowhere near as good as Head. Red Blooded Woman has an awesome video.

+Quote this post
___∆___
post 15th May 2020, 08:11 PM
Post #29
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 3,155

Forum listening party for BL next Friday at 7.30pm cheer.gif http://www.buzzjack.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=233774

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post 15th May 2020, 10:28 PM
Post #30
Group icon
User: 13,007

So I've given this album another go (for the rate mainly, but also to see if it grew) and I think it's even more tedious than before. Some of the album tracks are painfully forgettable :'( Nothing is sticking with me. I will keep because I am sure there is goodness somewhere within it, but this is not what I want from Kylie. I'm sorry Liam cry.gif!!! 'Loving Days' stands out as the strongest album track, possibly?

+Quote this post
___∆___
post 15th May 2020, 10:31 PM
Post #31
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 3,155

QUOTE(Hauspital* @ May 15 2020, 11:28 PM) *
So I've given this album another go (for the rate mainly, but also to see if it grew) and I think it's even more tedious than before. Some of the album tracks are painfully forgettable :'( Nothing is sticking with me. I will keep because I am sure there is goodness somewhere within it, but this is not what I want from Kylie. I'm sorry Liam cry.gif!!! 'Loving Days' stands out as the strongest album track, possibly?

Generic R&B-lite pop - not an area Kylie should ever venture in to ever again tbh kink.gif

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post 15th May 2020, 10:37 PM
Post #32
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
User: 12,472

QUOTE(Hauspital* @ May 15 2020, 11:28 PM) *

Aw well at least you like 'Loving Days'! That was the first album track to hit me. Can you hear similarities in the instrumental with Janet's 'Come Back to Me' towards the end?

+Quote this post
pippa
post 15th May 2020, 11:23 PM
Post #33
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

QUOTE(___∆___ @ May 15 2020, 11:31 PM) *
Generic R&B-lite pop - not an area Kylie should ever venture in to ever again tbh kink.gif

Generic R&B lite pop is a brilliant description of the material Body Language offers.

+Quote this post
Padamic Tension
post 16th May 2020, 12:17 AM
Post #34
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol

I'm hoping the next listening party will help me out with this album, I will be listening to this a few times in its entirety and something outside slow and chocolate may click with me.

+Quote this post
Andrew.
post 14th November 2020, 02:04 AM
Post #35
Group icon
is in hibernation
User: 21,161

I had no idea what to expect when I played this. I hadn’t even heard Slow before mellow.gif I did a bit of reading up on the general reception to the album which I know you shouldn’t really before you listen as it could make you biased for or against but I was just really curious. And I adore the album so much wub.gif

I get the criticisms that it’s not really Kylie and she’s trying to be something she’s not, but sultry lyrics and rhythms have always been part of Kylie’s repertoire, not in the way of this album but it’s an electro-pop record, again not a world away from her ‘usual’ material (from 2000 onwards, I haven’t started 80s and 90s Kylie albums yet x). The production on this album is so goooood cheeseblock.png Really pulsating and silky, ik that sounds cringe but it’s true :’) There’s a lot to unpack with every song. The production doesn’t overpower her voice either, other than a few moments they blend perfectly. Her voice actually sounds better than on any of the albums I’ve heard so far, I love especially on this album when the production is mixed with her higher register.

It’s not without fault, that one-two punch of I Feel 4 U and Someday as the worst tracks on the record (the former mostly, an irritation) was choices! But they’re not even bad and there’s a heap of highlights. Slow, Secret, Promises, Sweet Music, Chocolate and After Dark were my faves. It was different, but for me she pulled it off.

Ranking of the albums I’ve listened to:
1. Fever
2. Aphrodite
3. Body Language
4. Disco
5. Light Years
6. Golden
7. Kiss Me Once

Not much between 3-5 to be fair! Golden is also a very strong album clap.gif

This post has been edited by Andrew.: 14th November 2020, 02:11 AM

+Quote this post
Nina West
post 14th November 2020, 03:00 AM
Post #36
Group icon
We're all Glitter and Tears in the Moonlight...
User: 19,846

My Body Language ranking:

01. Slow
02. Secret (Take You Home)
03. Red Blooded Woman
04. Chocolate
05. Loving Days
06. Still Standing
07. Promises
08. Sweet Music
09. After Dark
10. Obsession
11. I Feel For You
12. Someday

+Quote this post
dabblie
post 14th November 2020, 03:07 AM
Post #37
Group icon
BuzzJack Climber
User: 116,075

I loved reading your reaction, Andrew! I'm actually delighted that you love BL. It's one of the "dark horse"s in Kylie's discography and divides fans' opinions.

This came out after Fever, after Kylie was on top of the world with her sleek, robotic, somewhat minimal dance-pop sound. Nobody expected the followup to sound like Body Language! That's one of the reasons it divided fans. I was thrown off too, but grew to love the album. I love the mix of electro, 80s synthpop, and R&B/hip-hop. I find it a bit less catchy than Fever, but more sophisticated and definitely more rhythmic.

I don't love everything about BL. After Obsession, the final stretch of the album feels very patchy to me. But I do love the bonus tracks and B-sides! Off the top of my head, I remember Cruise Control, Soul on Fire, City Games, Almost a Lover, and the incredible Slo Motion wub.gif

It's very interesting that you enjoy her vocals the most on this, versus the other Parlophone and BMG albums. She is SUPER breathy on this album. I get the feeling her whispery, "helium" vocals are another reason why BL is divisive in the fanbase. Even a BL lover like me would prefer less breathy, "chipmunky" vocals on many of the songs laugh.gif

The 3 videos from this album are also some of Kylie's best videos, IMO.

Overall, I love BL. Now with DISCO in the mix, though, I'm unsure if BL stays in my Top 3 or Top 5 of Kylie's albums unsure.gif

+Quote this post
Padamic Tension
post 14th November 2020, 04:07 PM
Post #38
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol

As much as I dont really love the album it was a brave move by kylie and it highlights kylie doesnt always play safe and it equally highlights many of her fans simoly prefer more upbeat pop kylie which kylie thankfully always returns to.
I think across kylies 15 studio albums she shows diversity as her albums have a wide variety of sounds. Right now she seems to be on a roll delivering what her fans really want and enjoy and I'm enjoying kylie as much as I ever did.

+Quote this post
Jessie Where
post 14th November 2020, 05:10 PM
Post #39
Group icon
Break the tension

1. Secret (Take You Home)
2. Slow
3. Loving Days
4. Chocolate
5. Sweet Music
6. After Dark
7. Still Standing
8. Red Blooded Woman
9. Promises
10. Obsession

11. I Feel For You
12. Someday

Those last two are definitely the worst songs by far, everything else has its place.

+Quote this post
Simon.
post 15th December 2020, 05:11 PM
Post #40
Group icon
Sugar Like Apple Pie
User: 126

Currently listening to Body Language for the first time properly, has she performed 'Loving Days' somewhere before? It sounds very familiar.

+Quote this post

15 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 27th April 2024, 07:08 AM