BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
> 
3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Rob's Top 50 of 2018, Finished Katty Heath #1 full recap page 2
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Roba.
post Dec 22 2018, 05:02 PM
Post #1
Group icon
Rob aah
User: 3,804
Hello there, another year is almost drawing to a close and it's that time to do the usual EOY charts... this year it will be immensely reduced to a top 50 in comparison to top 100/200's I was doing purely cause I haven't even begun to compile the year end yet and will need to go over songs that hit the charts and didn't that made a impression on me this year and limiting it to a top 50 means it's more crucial for songs to make the cut!

P.s. This will likely be my final EOY as I've not been having that much desire to put in all the hard work of countdowns etc and wasn't intending to even put one together as I was certain in my head to have last years be my last one)

Anyway I'll put in some fun still and there is always some surprises, see Arcade Fire last year for example..

I'll try and post this sometime after Christmas day but will compile tonight /tomorrow and post some songs I end up with in the missing out section.

😊😊😊😊😊

Recap Number 1's
2017: Pink - What About Us
2016: Alan Walker - Faded
2015: Major Lazer - Lean On
2014: Clean Bandit - Rather Be
2013: Avicii - Wake Me Up </3
2012: Fun. - Some Nights
2011: Will Young - Jealousy
2010: Cee Lo Green - Forget You
2009: Agnes - Release Me
2008: Beyoncé - If I Were A Boy
2007: Mika - Grace Kelly

Number 2's
2017: Dua Lipa - New Rules
2016: MØ - Final Song
2015: Ellie Goulding - Love Me Like You Do
2014: Rita Ora - I Will Never Let You Down
2013: One Republic - Counting Stars
2012: Little Mix - Wings
2011: Lady GaGa - The Edge of Glory
2010: Katy Perry - Teenage Dream
2009: Lady GaGa - Just Dance
2008: Gabriella Cilmi - Sweet About Me
2007: My Chemical Romance - Teenagers

*I think these are all right as I'm doing on mobile!

My Number 2's look a lot stronger as a whole I must say kink.gif

This post has been edited by Rob S~: Jan 9 2019, 02:44 PM
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Riser
post Dec 23 2018, 06:08 AM
Post #2
Group icon
The horrors persist, but so do I
User: 19,534
Hype!! I have no idea what you liked this year so it will be full of surprises!! biggrin.gif

+Quote this post
Roba.
post Dec 23 2018, 10:29 AM
Post #3
Group icon
Rob aah
QUOTE(Riser @ Dec 23 2018, 06:08 AM) *
Hype!! I have no idea what you liked this year so it will be full of surprises!! biggrin.gif

Oh yes I just realised that I hadn't posted any charts all year lol.

You should expect lots of BJSC songs and some songs released late last year that didn't chart too highly in the eoy (well a couple did pretty well tbh but anyway)

--

Just as well I'm doing a top 50 cause I've been able to write down around 80 songs so I guess my eoy would have been considerably low this year either way as its not been that vintage a year for me. Too much random urban stuff filling the charts xx

+Quote this post
Roba.
post Dec 24 2018, 09:23 PM
Post #4
Group icon
Rob aah
So before I start the top 50 (which is still yet to be decided and ordered) there's zero data or anything like that as my personal chart ended two years ago and this is basically just based on preference and impact for the whole year, in the end I ended up with 76 songs so limiting my chart to 50 was I guess going to be the case anyway as it appears I've not been loving a huge chunk of music this year... Or so that seems. In fact it really wasn't a great year overall and the huge decrease in number of songs tells that quite evidently. Doing a top 50 in comparison to much spaced out top 100 or 200 is crucial for songs to have really made a BIG impact on me. this year. It almost feels like getting through to the live shows of X Factor in a way lol (rubbish example no doubt)

So anyway from the sortings out there were 26 songs that failed to make my important 50 songs of the year including the very new Mark Ronson and Miley Cyrus song which does very well to get to #54 despite only being released this month... the power of a much lower number of songs you could say!

I'll post some missed out videos after dinner!

+Quote this post
Roba.
post Dec 24 2018, 09:44 PM
Post #5
Group icon
Rob aah

(76. 5SOS - Youngblood, 75. Alice Merton (No Roots) 74. Carly Rae Jepsen - Party For One 73. Aura Ft Camelphat - Panic Room 72. Silk City Ft Dua Lipa - Electricity 70. Bruno Mars Ft Cardi B - Finesse 69. Demi Lovato - Sober 68. Billie Eilish - When The Party's Over 67. Years and Years - If You're Over Me 66. Alice Merton - Lash Out 64. Rita Ora Ft Liam Payne - For You)

This post has been edited by Rob S~: Dec 24 2018, 09:45 PM

+Quote this post
Roba.
post Dec 24 2018, 11:41 PM
Post #6
Group icon
Rob aah

(60. Halsey - Without Me 59. Marshmello Ft Dan of Bastille - Happier 57. Maroon 5 Ft Cardi B - Girls Like You 55. Tom Grennan - Found What i'm Looking For 54. Mark Ronson Ft Miley Cyrus - Nothing Breaks Like A Heart 52. Zara Larrson - Ruin My Life 51. Little Mix Ft Nicki Minaj - Woman Like Me)

+Quote this post
Roba.
post Dec 24 2018, 11:42 PM
Post #7
Group icon
Rob aah
The proper top 50 begins soon!

+Quote this post
PeteFromLeeds
post Dec 26 2018, 11:28 AM
Post #8
Group icon
Buy yourself a car, and a house in Devon
User: 23,247
Poor Romantic sad.gif Glad you liked it so much though! Namesake was a great BJSC discovery as well, loads of great songs in your smallprint also wink.gif

+Quote this post
Roba.
post Dec 27 2018, 09:38 AM
Post #9
Group icon
Rob aah
TOP 50 of 2018

50. Daniella Mason - Cruel Summer
49. Hayley Kiyoko - Curious
48. Moby - This Darkness (CYA Remix)
47. Kim Petra - Heart To Break
46. Metroplane Ft Bree Runaway - Word of Mouth
45. LP - Girls Go Wild
44. Halestorm - Black Vultures
43. Clean Bandit Ft Marina & Luis Fonsi - Baby
42. Sigrid - Strangers
41. Ariana Grande - God Is A Woman

Selected videos

shortened version of the CYA remix below but the 8 minute remix is great.

This post has been edited by Rob S~: Dec 27 2018, 10:01 AM

+Quote this post
Roba.
post Dec 27 2018, 09:45 AM
Post #10
Group icon
Rob aah
QUOTE(Petivity @ Dec 26 2018, 11:28 AM) *
Poor Romantic sad.gif Glad you liked it so much though! Namesake was a great BJSC discovery as well, loads of great songs in your smallprint also wink.gif

It was a nice song but I hadn't really gone back to it that much since the contest hence why it didn't make the top 50 or outside lol. There's another of your entries inside though. The smallprint is just songs in order that missed out but aren't really a huge part of chart as they are well..... outside and didn't make the ACTUAL jameela.jpg top 50 tongue.gif

This post has been edited by Rob S~: Dec 27 2018, 09:46 AM

+Quote this post
DalekTurret32
post Dec 27 2018, 02:23 PM
Post #11
Group icon
FIVE YEARS OF THE TURRET 15-20
User: 21,666
Strangers is a great pop hit.

+Quote this post
Roba.
post Dec 27 2018, 08:20 PM
Post #12
Group icon
Rob aah
40-31

40. Jax Jones Ft Ina Wroldsen - Breathe
39. Kylie Minogue - Stop Me From Falling
38. Banx & Ranx Ft Ella Eyre - Answerphone
37. Dynoro & Gigi D’agostino - In My Mind
36. Metric - Dressed To Suppress
35. Temperance - The Last Hope In A World Of Hopes
34. Shawn Mendes - In My Blood
33. Jonathan Bree - You're So Cool
32. Cathedrals - Try To Fight
31. for King and Country - Joy

+Quote this post
Riser
post Dec 28 2018, 02:44 PM
Post #13
Group icon
The horrors persist, but so do I
User: 19,534
Amazing to see 'joy.' in here!!! ohmy.gif It won't even be that high in my own EOY, I'm so glad you loved it!

Also thrilled to see Metric in here, and double Alice Merton - surprised that you've ranked 'Lash Out' higher than 'No Roots'!

+Quote this post
PeteFromLeeds
post Dec 28 2018, 06:04 PM
Post #14
Group icon
Buy yourself a car, and a house in Devon
User: 23,247
Lots of BJSC entries here! Lots of ones I voted for as well - joy, Temperance, You're So Cool, Cruel Summer, Girls Go Wild. Dressed to Suppress and Word of Mouth are all favourites of mine ohmy.gif

Nice to see Strangers pop up, was lovely to see Sigrid get herself a UK hit. In My Mind was a dance banger as well music.gif

+Quote this post
Roba.
post Dec 29 2018, 12:03 AM
Post #15
Group icon
Rob aah
Jonathan Bree & Cathedrals both Summericia entries (winner of BJSC 107) dropping out, still lots more of my eligible entries remaining ;o

thanks Jordan, FK&C was a really catchy choice, it seems the contest I hosted has a profound effect on my EOY as the majority are from 107 laugh.gif
thanks Pete, yes I don't usually have my eoy littered this much with BJSC entries lol.. there isn't that much left to appear tbh from BJSC!

EXCEPT... Here's a couple more in this section tongue.gif

30-21

30. SAVEUS - Time Can Heal A Man
29. Dua Lipa - IDGAF
28. Halestorm - Killing Ourselves To Live
27. CAIN - SVICIDE GRLS DANCE
26. Creye - Christina
25. Justin Timberlake Ft Chris Stapleton - Say Something
24. Craig David Ft Bastille - I Know You
23. Panic At The Disco - High Hopes
22. Camilla Cabello - Never Be The Same
21. The Interrupters - Shes Keroscene

P.S. video (not mine of Halestorm at Brixton which I attended that night *.*)

+Quote this post
Dobbo
post Dec 29 2018, 05:21 PM
Post #16
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 20,053
I'd completely forgotten about Answerphone! Loved it to start with but got boring very quickly for me unforch sad.gif

Hoping Baby re-peaks in the official chart, #24 is criminally low.

Good BJSC picks here as I'd expect biggrin.gif

+Quote this post
Roba.
post Dec 29 2018, 06:45 PM
Post #17
Group icon
Rob aah
QUOTE(dobbo @ Dec 29 2018, 05:21 PM) *
I'd completely forgotten about Answerphone! Loved it to start with but got boring very quickly for me unforch sad.gif

Hoping Baby re-peaks in the official chart, #24 is criminally low.

Good BJSC picks here as I'd expect biggrin.gif

Hi dobbo, ie answerphone it was the complete opposite for me. Couldn't really get into it at first but then it began growing on me. The superior Ella feature is still to come!

I think Baby could go top 20 in the new year just hope ACR doesn't step in too prematurely.

Thanks biggrin.gif

+Quote this post
Roba.
post Dec 31 2018, 10:18 PM
Post #18
Group icon
Rob aah
and here's comes a few more, top 10 will most likely be posted post new year now!

Top 20 starts off with the Urban superstar, Cardi B... this is one that might surprise people but I found it easily her best song and deservedly gave her a solo top 10 hit in May, thanks to hearing it on radio a lot and I was religiously listening to the chart for about 4 weeks straight on my routine drive to my sister in Brighton and this along with another song that's to come hung around the lower end of the top 10 for ages. It's really catchy though and tbh I've not really heard her top 40 hits before ILI (and Money which came after for that matter) it's a lot of harmless urban pop fun at it's finest really!

No.19 sees Chart megastars Clean Bandit return with a summer bop featuring Demi Lovato who I've really come round to a lot as a singer in recent years. 'Solo' isn't their ultimate best but it's still an enjoyable track to listen to. Coming in next we have another dance anthem from MK who after their smash last year with '17' make another groovy floorfiller tune and hire the vocals of Becky Hill who exceeds expectations once again on a dance track!

Sigala and Ella Eyre decide to hook up for a second time on 'Just Got Paid' with a lending hand from U.S. singer Meghan Trainor, a funky irresistible tune and this better of the Ella features this year but 'Answerphone' was good too despite taking several listens to click!

Finally rounding this section is US rapper/hip hop star Post Malone.. another one I'd expect will surprise people as i'm not really into urban that much on the whole and none of his previous material really impressed me that much.. before a wild Cody shows up 'I actually liked 'Rockstar' for a few listens ph34r.gif but that did go a bit average ultimately.. 'Psycho' I think I've heard once or twice and didn't really think a lot of and anything else of his that charted didn't impress me much. Incoming 'Better Now' which again like Cardi was always hanging around the bottom end of the top 10 or in the middle and I'd constantly hear it on the chart and I was pleasantly surprised by how much feeling their was and actually sounded like it was going somewhere as a song unlike his other tracks.. not to mention his vocals were at his best on it as well, with almost a soulful burst in the chorus. Easily his best song for me and I'm doubting he'll top it.. bear in mind I haven't heard his new song yet!

This post has been edited by Rob S~: Dec 31 2018, 10:20 PM

+Quote this post
Cowboy Cody
post Dec 31 2018, 10:38 PM
Post #19
Group icon
new hair, new tee, new Levii’s Jeans
User: 21,308
Better Now >>>>>>>>>>>(x100) Rockstar

I’m surprised you haven’t heard Sunflower yet, isn’t it everywhere?

+Quote this post
Roba.
post Dec 31 2018, 10:59 PM
Post #20
Group icon
Rob aah

The first of two appearance from Portugal. The Man and clearly both have made my top 15.. wonder where 'Feel It Still' will finish unsure.gif 'Live In The Moment' was announced as what would be the follow up to FIS but sadly didn't do anything so I guess PTM are another to add to the list of One Hit Wonder over here.. 'Live In The Moment' was an excellent track anyway and the video was super cool too.

Next we have an annual Buzzjack fave in Rita Ora with 'Let You Love Me' which is just as good as 'Anywhere' but I don't think it's better than it... following my return from hiatus in BJSC came my biggest hit at the time in the form of Romanian singer Brianna with 'Lost In Istanbul', a girl who looks like a Romanian version of Dua Lipa. This catchy track gave me my first top 5 in BJSC which was followed up a month later with a winner from Cathedrals which flopped out at #32. As I didn't do proper commentary for anything outside top 20.. I'll just say hosting BJSC was a mainly good experience but the scoreboards were a right stress to do and my maths kept getting confusing (for some one who's quite clever with maths to a degree too) near 12 hours finishing tho was perhaps abnormal but hey I got it done and it was a fun experience for the rest of it (even though other things like mp3 playlists and live scoreboards I passed on). LII remains my summer anthem though and I'm really pleased that came 4th as it was the song that started me on a very successful few months in BJSC!

In 2018 we finally saw GaGa return back to her big hit scoring glory as 'Shallow' which comes from the A Star Is Born film was so hugely popular and hyped up in a big way that the song managed to get GaGa her first UK number 1 single since 2010's 'Telephone' which funnily enough was another collab! After a last minute order shuffle as it was at 7 originally but has now been bumped to unlucky 11th as the competition is such tight for my top 10... in comes '1999' by Charli XCX and Troye Sivian, their retro throwback to the late 90's days of Britney and other pop that was hot at the time track which is addictive as hell sees them getting a very high showing on my countdown.. one of Charli's best for me now and it was good to see Troye also get a big hit too!

This post has been edited by Rob S~: Dec 31 2018, 11:00 PM

+Quote this post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 04:26 AM