BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> FEMME FATALE - ALBUM RATE, Next one on my hit list~ [PRIZE INCLUDED FOR BEST COMMENTARY]
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Tyler
post 14th June 2016, 08:26 PM
Post #41
Group icon
If people hate you, don’t hate them.
User: 67

Those in the running for a free copy of Britney's upcoming album;

-Oliver
-JosephOdell
-Rob Spears
-Jckattackz
-John-James

I'll be doing my commentary tonight, but, I am not eligible for the prize (obvs). Same goes for Jonjo and NickF1.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Oliver
post 14th June 2016, 08:46 PM
Post #42
Group icon
Buzzjack's Finest Alcoholic.
User: 15,367

QUOTE(Tyler @ Jun 14 2016, 09:09 PM) *
Another great commentary! Really showing how strong the album is to even non stans.

I really love 'Big Fat Bass'. I remember when the album dropped and hearing it in the club before the album was even released. It instantly reminds me of being 21, care free and just dancing like an idiot with a group of the most amazing drag queens. Agh, I live for those Britney blaring in the gay club moments.

Ps- did you want to keep your score for 'Trouble For Me' at a ten? Your commentary suggests maybe a 9 or 9.5?

Sorry Tyler I wrote that then changed the score because I felt it was stronger than TTYH but I didn't want to give that less than 9.5. laugh.gif

I've edited out that sentence from the commentary.

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post 14th June 2016, 09:54 PM
Post #43
Group icon
User: 13,007

I'm listening and rating tomorrow. Gonna have a BRITNEY DAY I've decided ~

(Drop Dead) Beautiful needs me </3

+Quote this post
Tyler
post 15th June 2016, 04:31 PM
Post #44
Group icon

10. Till The World Ends
- This track is the perfect opener for the album. It is pop magic at its absolute finest. The slow build up to the last chorus along with that classic anthemic Britney feel, makes this track one of Britney's best. And even though the remix with Nicki Minaj and co-writer Kesha is also great, the original is still definitely sicker than the remix

09. Hold It Against Me
- Britney is responsible for bringing dub step to the mainstream circuit with the lead single off this album, even though she had dabbled with its use all the way back in 2007, with 'Freakshow'. The breakdown at the end is what really takes the song to the next level, IMO. POP IT LIKE A HOOD AND SHOW ME HOW YOU WORK IT OUT. Also, the music video is supremely underrated. That fight scene, what is air?

11. Inside Out
- THE SINGLE THAT SHOULD HAVE BEEN. This would have slayed in America as the follow up release to 'I Wanna Go'. The production is absolutely mesmerizing, the vocals are outstanding. But, I'm an absolute sucker for Britney doing anything mid tempo and r&b influenced. I also have seen a couple people state the chorus just isn't as great as the verses and I couldn't disagree more.

10. I Wanna Go
- Britney's biggest radio hit in America and understandably so. I absolutely love the instrumental to this track. The guitar strumming behind her vocals is so simple yet so effective. SHAME ON MEEEE. Also, LOVE the video. That marked the beginning of her returning to showing off her fun side since her breakdown. And I think we can all agree she has slowly gotten more confident with herself since this single. It really shows when Britney loves one of her songs. She is not very good at faking it, is she?

09. How I Roll
- I think I'm one of the few people to absolutely adore everything about this song. It's so odd but, it works so well. Produced by one of Britney's staple producers, Bloodshy & Avant. Reminds me of drinking a margarita and laying out by the beach. I also choose to believe she sings, "You can be my f*** tonight."

08. (Drop Dead) Beautiful (Ft. Sabi)
- WHOEVER SAID THAT BEAUTY'S ON THE I SIDE IS A LIAR. TRACK #6 and the bops just don't stop. I'm starting to think ' Femme Fatale' might be tied with my second favorite album with 'In The Zone'. 'Blackout' still winning though. PS - RIP SABI AND HER VEGETABLES.

08.Seal It With A Kiss
- This track would be a 10, if the chorus had just a little bit more UMPH. The verses are perfect though, and I love the "oh oohs" throughout the song. I am now realizing that this album is the soundtrack of my early 20's, so many good memories attached to these songs. ALSO, I appreciate the subtle use of dubstep used on the track.

09. Big Fat Bass (Ft. Will.I.Am.)
- I SHOULD NOT LIKE THIS SO MUCH. I detest 'It Should Be Easy' and I only tolerate 'Scream & Shout'. Perhaps that is because, Will stays in the background like he always should. IT'S GETTING BIGGA, THE BASS IS GETTIN' BIGGA. This could have also been another huge hit for her in America.

07. Trouble For Me
- The verses and production are both great, but, the chorus seems almost like its missing something. I agree almost completely with Oliver's review on this song. Still, a great album track and I loved the performance of this on the 'Femme Fatale Tour'.

06. Trip To Your Heart
- I have come around to this track over the years, but, it's still one of the weaker songs on the album for me. The production is nice, I enjoy the lyrics. It just reminds me of a less attractive sibling to 'Heaven on Earth'.

09. Gasoline
- I forget how many single worthy songs are on this album. I don't really get the comparisons to 'Toxic', but, I guess I can see it slightly in the last half of the song. Her classic ad-libs really take it to the next level for me as well. I do feel like a duet with Gaga would have been perfect in this song. It just seems like it would work perfectly together.

07. Criminal
- Though this hasn't aged as well as the rest of the album and considering the fact it should have NOT been a single, I still have a soft spot for 'Criminal'. Its strongest asset, Britney's vocals.

08. Up n' Down
- Yet another missed single opportunity. Though it's not my favorite on the album it was practically begging for the single treatment. I remember it out performing every other song on iTunes besides 'Till The World Ends' and 'I Wanna Go' when the album was first released, almost reaching the top 5 on US iTunes.

09. He About To Lose Me
- The emotion felt in this ballad is really what makes it for me. IMO, this and TTYH should switch places, it's definitely the superior slow jam on the album. Unless we are counting 'Inside Out' because that's one boss ass track.

10. Selfish
- I LOVE THIS SONG SO MUCH. I literally love everything about it. That chorus just makes me want to find some Molly and dance with some glow sticks. It reminds me of almost what 'Lace & Leather' wanted to be on the 'Circus' album. BOOM BOOM BABY, PICK YOU UP IN MY MERCEDES.

08. Don't Keep Me Waiting
- A refreshing change of sound from the rest of the album. A nice mix of rock meets electro-pop. It's even better than I remember it being. Also, it's official. 'Femme Fatale, is officially my second favorite album of all time after Blackout.

08. Scary
- Why this was only released in Japan, I'll never know. It gets overlooked by many when it's a great exclusive bonus track on an album filled with potential hits. It's almost like Britney's answer to "Thriller". Just imagining the music video gives me anxiety.

AMAZING ALBUM. I totally forgot how much I truly love every track on it.

This post has been edited by Tyler: 15th June 2016, 04:37 PM

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post 15th June 2016, 06:31 PM
Post #45
Group icon

10.0 Till The World Ends
09.5 Hold It Against Me
07.0 Inside Out
11.0 I Wanna Go
04.0 How I Roll
09.0 (Drop Dead) Beautiful [Ft. Sabi]
07.0 Seal It With A Kiss
00.0 Big Fat Bass [Ft. Will.I.Am.]
04.0 Trouble For Me
06.0 Trip To Your Heart
07.5 Gasoline
08.0 Criminal
06.0 Up n' Down
10.0 He About To Lose Me
07.0 Selfish
06.0 Don't Keep Me Waiting

If I get time to do the commentary I will edit it in in due time ~

+Quote this post
Nick F1
post 15th June 2016, 06:40 PM
Post #46
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 5,392

you have missed Scary ^^

+Quote this post
Tyler
post 15th June 2016, 06:43 PM
Post #47
Group icon

That's mostly my fault because I forgot to edit the main post!

My apologies!

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post 15th June 2016, 07:00 PM
Post #48
Group icon

f*** it, my commentary is coming VERY SOON too so i'll edit it in. I can't stop playing the album so it's coming. Currently on a track that makes me CRY but all will be revealed soon ~~

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post 15th June 2016, 07:16 PM
Post #49
Group icon

10.0 Till The World Ends
--What a stunning opener. It introduces the theme of the album perfectly: DANCE YOUR f***ING TITS OFF like a free bitch. The infectious "oh oh ohhhs" in the chorus are quite ghostly and always make me feel quite alone and isolated in the midst of the mayhem of the rest of the song. It's one of those special songs that can make you feel so uplifted but also quite sad and mournful at the same time. A brilliant combination and varies depending on the mood I hear it in. The final "sunrise" middle-8 is euphoric and my favourite moment of the entire album but the song just falls before the final hurdle of making it as my fave FF song ~

09.5 Hold It Against Me
--A song that defines my 2nd year at uni and dancing like a complete lunatic on dance-floor clubs trying to recreate the music video. A bold lead single, channelling a new style of music for her but maintaining the magic and warmth of the Britney we all knew and loved up to that point. I love the double meaning of the title, the embrace with a lover and also the strength that such a relationship can have and the desire to hold on through troubles you might face. You might think she's crazy and hazy but her spark lights up in magestic style here.

07.0 Inside Out
--This seems to be getting cries of "underrated" in this rate and while i've never really paid much attention to it before it's starting to really grow on me. I've always seen it as the song sandwiched between the brilliance of the album and for that reason it's almost lost and forgotten because the singles overpower it. But inside the sandwich there is a slice of goodness and i'm glad this rate has made me pay closer attention to this.

11.0 I Wanna Go

WHERE TO START. Firstly, I have always loved this song - while I don't think I was as enamoured with it as the first two singles it did stuck around in my chart for a while and when the dust of the album settled it became the song I returned to the most. It's absolutely BONKERS but all the better for it. A totally zany track of escapism and FUN and just the right mix of infectious beats, odd lyrics and quirky amazingness. The music video is one of my favourite Britney videos too because it's just her looking damn sexy, being cheeky and OWNING her performance. She's so watchable and the song is so listenable - it's no surprise it's such a big radio smasher in the US - JUST LOOK AT HOW CATCHY IT IS. Also that performance up there has given the song brand new life for, iconic doesn't even come close *__* this song is really good smile.gif *claps*

04.0 How I Roll
--The first dud moment of the album for me. It's decent but a bit throwaway and with some off-putting vocal decoder effects and just not really one I return to a lot. I like her "dum dum dees" but those weird orgasmic cries throughout make me :')

09.0 (Drop Dead) Beautiful [Ft. Sabi]
YASS SABI!!1 What an absolute tune and so close to being my favourite album track on here. I might be the only one to love it but for that interspersion from Sabi alone it is EVERYTHING. I don't even know who she IS but if this is the only thing she does in her entire career she can officially say she's made it. BOY COME OVER HERE WID YO SEXY ASS everything.

07.5 Seal It With A Kiss
--I adore the opening of this. It's quite 'Alien' in places and I think she built on this song quite well for that in the later album. Really freaky at times but properly loving and delicate. The harsh production alongside Britney's lovely tones work perfectly and the chorus explodes at just the right amount. Quite a diverse song and one that I feel might be over-looked when really it's a solid album track with cheeky undertones ~

00.0 Big Fat Bass [Ft. Will.I.Am.]
--he doesn't even deserve a MENTION. The worst thing to happen to music in the past decade for me and i'm sorry but Britney is worth SO MUCH MORE. Next~

04.0 Trouble For Me
--I feel like I should like this more than I do, it's quite 'Circus' at times and I ADORE that album but it's just a bit too much. Maybe on 'Circus' it might've sounded better but on here it comes across quite out-of-place with far too many words being thrown in my ears. I do like the breakdown but that is dropped throughout but the chorus is too mish-mash for me to properly enjoy. It needs more refined PUNCH.

06.0 Trip To Your Heart
--This has a wonderful ethereal chorus but the verses let it down majorly for me. They're quite basic and forgettable. The song is very whimsical and an example of "could've been so much more but ultimately falls a bit flat". Oh well, I still enjoy it which is why i've given it above a 5/10 but I just love the sentiment of "flying away on a trip to your heart" - what a lovely message/image to convey heart.gif

08.0 Gasoline
--BANGER. True story, I was listening to the album on my way back from work and this came on as soon as I walked past a petrol station and could smell the strong (addictive) smell of gasoline *_* properly banging and intense and so CHEEKY. Bitch wants to taste, swallow, ingest her fluid to power up and so it's a song we can ALL RELATE TO. I love the metaphor of Britney (or a lover~) turning into a machine waiting to be powered up. But even away from the crude take on the lyrics, it's quite a special song of being able to spark and ignite the flames and feelings in someone else.

08.0 Criminal
--No it shouldn't have been a single but it is a solid song and probably actually suffers from the fact it was released. It would've worked much better as a solid album track rather than a weak(er in comparison) single. Still I do enjoy it and much like Rihanna's 'Man Down' or Gaga's 'Judas' there is a thing with pop girls attracting bad boys, and with my reknowed FETISH of all things bad I can relate to this cool2.gif I just think the song is too ploddy and restrained and doesn't really ignite or explode as much as a Britney single should, A solid song though and an interesting departure from what else was released on the album!

06.0 Up n' Down
--Not quite the 20/10 she sings about but a bit of a guilty pleasure. There's not really much to this song except the music.gif~~sick beat and chorus. It works wonderfully as an album track, offering a bit more of what we've had before in the album but with a bit more fun and not taking itself too seriously. The chorus is actually amazing, beats dropping, rooms turning sexy, I could watch her get down~~

10.0 He About To Lose Me
--OK bear with me because is the one song on the album that makes me overwhelmed with emotion. She has done it in the past with her ballads, but this song, coming so close to the end of a party album just hits me like a train everytime and i'll try to explain why. First and foremost, on its most literal level it's a song about worthlessness, loss, heartbreak and finishing something good. I have struggled for years with coping with people being apart from me and a song like this just speaks to me effortlessly. The self-doubt she creates in the song is beautiful and so chilling. Yes this all happens in the verses, she sings so emotionally about her loss of control for her partner but i'd like to argue a case for the chorus too. The chorus is her realising she's at loss but trying one last time not to be lost. It's sung with vigour and passion and her slur and mumbled vocals add to the power of it. A totally beautiful song and my favourite album track and up there as one of her ALL-TIME greats. I have never really revealed my love for this song much but in my listen throughs today I have realised its true power and it's reconnected with me. A total GEM.

07.0 Selfish
--Back to the party banging tunes now and one of my favourite of those. These bonus tracks are good lmao much like on some of her other albums. The chorus is the clear highpoint here, with the BITCH being selfish and fearless and fierce. She owns the song and while I usually forget about its existance most of the time, when I do hear it's always a pleasure.

06.0 Don't Keep Me Waiting
--This is very dynamic and such an explosive end to the album but for it's far too much going on to properly take in. I'm usually still reeling from 'He About To Lose Me' to lose total control and so i'd rather have had a more sombre and refined ending. Still the chorus is very fun and energetic and it's a good song. It really reminds me of something else too that I cannot put my finger on thinking.gif

03.0 Scary
--Nick why you keep demanding this be noticed. It's pretty shit lmao. Not will.i.am bad but very forgettable and messy and useless imo sad.gif Oops~ have a 3 for Nick though cheer.gif

WHAT A GOOD ALBUM I never appreciated it at the time (in fact I think I *hated* most of it) but it's really matured well and i've begun to appreciate it a lot more. Particularly the more subtle moments of it. A lot of my opinions on the songs have changed recently too!

+Quote this post
Tyler
post 15th June 2016, 08:18 PM
Post #50
Group icon

YAS AT THAT COMMENTARY.

Love your write up for HATLM. It's crazy because I didn't really notice it much in the beginning, but, over the years it has really blossomed into one of her best tracks. Her vocals really bring that song to life, it's probably the most emotional song by her, for me, after 'Everytime'.

I'M MAD AT YOU FOR NOT LOVING 'HOW I ROLL', THO. </3

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post 15th June 2016, 09:02 PM
Post #51
Group icon

QUOTE(Tyler @ Jun 15 2016, 09:18 PM) *
Love your write up for HATLM. It's crazy because I didn't really notice it much in the beginning, but, over the years it has really blossomed into one of her best tracks. Her vocals really bring that song to life, it's probably the most emotional song by her, for me, after 'Everytime'.

'Everytime' and 'Born To Make You Happy' were the other songs I was thinking of. These are her most emotional songs for me with 'Sometimes' somewhere up there too <3 HATLM is such an interesting song, and so moving in the process :'(

+Quote this post
Nick F1
post 15th June 2016, 09:14 PM
Post #52
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

laugh.gif for Scary comment, it's a good one th!

+Quote this post
post 15th June 2016, 09:28 PM
Post #53
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 19,931

I Wanna Go. Bal this needs to be on our playlist now, I feel it's earned its place! Great commentary Bal <3333333

+Quote this post
Tyler
post 16th June 2016, 08:03 AM
Post #54
Group icon

QUOTE(Joe. @ Jun 15 2016, 05:28 PM) *
I Wanna Go. Bal this needs to be on our playlist now, I feel it's earned its place! Great commentary Bal <3333333

Add your commentary, bitttttccch.

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post 16th June 2016, 08:45 PM
Post #55
Group icon

I can't stop listening to 'He About To Lose Me' :'( What an absolute beauty </3

+Quote this post
Tyler
post 21st June 2016, 08:58 PM
Post #56
Group icon

FIVE DAYS.

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post 21st June 2016, 10:29 PM
Post #57
Group icon
I found the love, I found the love in me
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 5,042

Commentary definitely coming tomorrow! biggrin.gif

+Quote this post
Nick F1
post 22nd June 2016, 09:34 PM
Post #58
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

more more more

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post 23rd June 2016, 03:21 PM
Post #59
Group icon
I found the love, I found the love in me
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 5,042

QUOTE(Jonjo @ Jun 7 2016, 12:30 AM) *
Commentary will come tomorrow/Wednesday! But for now, here's my rating!

09.0 Till The World Ends
>> What an anthem, hey? It's clear to see why this is the closing song for her Vegas set. I think a couple of years ago I would've given this a "10", but I think I've tired of it myself, slightly. Still an utter jam though and I completely GET it's appeal. <<

10.0 Hold It Against Me
>> I find this really under appreciated and underrated nowadays. I prefer it to TTWE, personally and I think it's aged pretty well. The video is a masterpiece too. It's a forgotten gem and deserves to perform better than I fear it will. <<

07.5 Inside Out
>> As I said below, I've actually come around to this song so much since I've been relistening to the album recently. I've always "liked" it, I've just never "loved" or even got the love for it. The chorus opens with a HUGE "SO COME AAAAAWWWNNN..." and I just can't help but feel disappointed that it doesn't quite live up to the power that the beginning of it promises us. <<

08.0 I Wanna Go
>> Very good song. I did tire of this pretty quickly though. Probably the song I tired of the quickest, so as it was announced as a single I was always a little hesitant about it's performance, but I was really wrong on that, for America at least. I think I can see why it was such a huge radio hit in the US (her biggest ever!) but I can't help but feel the video sold this song more than the actual song did. <<

10.0 How I Roll
>> OH HOW I LOVE THIS. It's ALWAYS been a fave of mine. I always imagined quite a dark and gritty video for this, so to see the performance of it on the 'Femme Fatale' tour and it being performed to bright, pink and vibrant colours shocked me, but I was actually impressed and it actually really worked and all I wanted from there on in was a video and for it to be a single. </3 I still think this is actually the closest we have got to 'Blackout'. <<

08.5 (Drop Dead) Beautiful [Ft. Sabi]
>> I had no idea that this wasn't really a favourite. For some reason I always thought it'd be the under dog of the album. Extremely catchy and quotable! "Steamin' like a pot full of vegetables". ICONIC. Sabi was a great feature. Britney forever lending a helping hand to the unknowns <3 <<

07.0 Seal It With A Kiss
>> I feel I should like this a whole lot more than I actually do. It HAS been growing on me since this rate though (and I'd probably rate it slightly higher now) it's very catchy ofc, but also a little annoying. <<

08.5 Big Fat Bass [Ft. Will.I.Am.]
>> will.i.am actually does GOOD for Brit *.* I still absolutely love this. The bassline is incredible. "I can be the treble baby you can be the bass". I really think this would've made a great single choice and would have made an interesting video concept! <<

08.0 Trouble For Me
>> First listen, this was "10 out of 10". It's been dwindling in popularity for me ever since, but I think I've found common ground with it now. A lovely little number, but that's it really. <<

11.0 Trip To Your Heart
>> I think my love for this is well documented in this forum so I'm not going to go into it too much more, even though I am one of only 2 people to actually adore it (R.I.P. Luciano mate <3 Missing you). I love the pulsating production throughout and I think the lyrics are really cute and sweet. Then we have the Aleko's Retrovirus Club Mix... OUTSTANDING. (No video link available though </3 Booooo) <<

08.0 Gasoline
>> This song is really good. It would have made a much more interesting single choice over 'Criminal' and I actually think it could've been a surprise hit all over! So much fiyah and personality and attitude. Something that's been lacking in Britney singles for a while! I think the video could've been explosive (literally) too! <<

06.5 Criminal
>> Never really got this and it being announced as a single was upsetting tbh. Especially over a lot of what was left to choose from. I did think it'd be a bigger hit than it was though. Especially in Europe. <<

08.0 Up n' Down
>> Britney throwing us back to some 90's EuroDance *.* This is so much fun and really funky. Would've made for another interesting single choice. Not sure if it'd have done better or worse than 'Criminal', but I imagine it would've done something more in Europe? <<

09.0 He About To Lose Me
>> The single that never was? There was still hope for all of us after Nicki Minaj chose to release 'Super Bass' as a single, despite it being a bonus track (and having HUGE success with it) I think this would have been a big hit for her. Especially on radio. I think it's the sort of song she needs to release in the UK in order to get a genuine hit again. <<

06.0 Selfish
>> Always has been my least favourite from the album, despite finding it fun I also don't think there's a whole lot to it. Glad it's just a bonus track as this is literally "bonus track fodder" to me. <<

06.5 Don't Keep Me Waiting
>> She did the hard-pop/soft-rock thing better, earlier in the album ('Trouble For Me'). This track is slightly annoying and I think 'Rock Me In' from 'Circus' is better than this too, despite this being ok.

Relistened to this album twice today, I think I'm (finally) coming round to 'Inside Out' (still hella overrated though) :') and 'Criminal' has never been anywhere near my favourite, and I was disappointed they chose that as a single over about 50% of the choices that were left sad.gif
Added my comments! biggrin.gif

+Quote this post
Tyler
post 23rd June 2016, 04:33 PM
Post #60
Group icon

Yessss Stan for the criminally underrated 'How I Roll'! wub.gif

3 days left!