BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
12 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> My Top 40 Fave Top 40 Hits Year By Year..., 1960-1999 all done
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
TheSnake
post 7th May 2020, 07:49 PM
Post #41
Group icon
Say that hiss with your chest, and...
User: 23,308

QUOTE(Popchartfreak @ May 7 2020, 08:18 AM) *
That includes tracks that topped my charts after 1984 so it won't add up to 52 weeks , and Lost In Music topped my charts that year but is included as a chart-topper for 1979 in my system biggrin.gif

Was it 'Its My Life' and 'Young at Heart' which topped your chart during their re-releases in the early 90s?
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Steve201
post 8th May 2020, 12:14 AM
Post #42
Group icon
Shakin Stevens
User: 5,138

1985 for me is a real great year too even if 1979-84 was my favourite time watching totps repeats. It felt like a real in between year in terms of bands from the early new wave/romantic eras reaching their commercial peak before disappearing quite quickly such as Spandau Ballet/Duran Duran/Human League/Wham/Culture Club

As Snake pointed out Art of Noise and Paul Hardcastle were bringing new unique sounds into the chart which paved the way for Chicago house a year later. But the quality although excellent became VERY mainstream which for me leads the way for the SAW take over between 1987-90. For example big power ballads were at their peak and new wave bands stopped being unique and became commercial enterprises which isn't a criticism as such simply they aimed for the top!

+Quote this post
AH Gold
post 9th May 2020, 12:28 AM
Post #43
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 3,410

QUOTE(Popchartfreak @ May 7 2020, 08:18 AM) *
These are the tracks from 1984 to have topped my charts.... smile.gif

Nobody Told Me John Lennon 1
Relax Frankie Goes To Hollywood 3
Radio Ga Ga Queen 3
Somebody's Watching Me Rockwell/ Michael Jackson 3
It's A Miracle Culture Club 2
Wood Beez (Pray Like Aretha Franklin) Scritti Politti 4
The Lebanon The Human League 4
You're The Best Thing The Style Council 3
Two Tribes Frankie Goes To Hollywood 6
Life On Your Own The Human League 2
Eyes Without A Face Billy Idol 1
Careless Whisper George Michael 2
I Just Called To Say I Love You Stevie Wonder 1
Madame Butterfly Malcolm McLaren 1
The War Song Culture Club 4
Drive/ (Orchestral Version) The Cars 7
The Wild Boys Duran Duran 2
Sex Crime (1984) Eurythmics 1
The Power Of Love Frankie Goes To Hollywood 3
Do They Know It's Christmas Band Aid 1
Last Christmas/Everything She Wants Wham! 6
It's My Life Talk Talk 2
Holiday Madonna 1
Young At Heart The Bluebells 3
When Doves Cry Prince 1
The Killing Moon Echo & The Bunnymen 2

That includes tracks that topped my charts after 1984 so it won't add up to 52 weeks , and Lost In Music topped my charts that year but is included as a chart-topper for 1979 in my system biggrin.gif

Peaking at 2:

Dr Mabuse
Self Control
Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now
What Is Love

Loads of others peaked at 3,4,5 smile.gif

Can't fault any of those wub.gif Proper classics heart.gif

+Quote this post
AH Gold
post 9th May 2020, 12:34 AM
Post #44
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

QUOTE(dandruff* @ May 7 2020, 07:21 PM) *
Some great songs in your top 40 of 1985 chart hits. 1985 is my second favourite year of the 80s music-wise after 1982 . Art of Noise and Paul Hardcastle both paved the way for house music making a big impact on the charts later in the decade. If I was and Tarzan Boy are great epic 80s anthems (the latter I would say is much more than a 'novelty hit') and Madonna's Into the Groove is one of the catchiest songs of the 80s and has a great dance groove to it too. Crazy for You I would have put in my top 40 from 1985, lovely song. Go West's We Close Our Eyes has a great chorus - it was made into a remix in 2005 by Groove Cutters which I remember from when I was younger.

Other tracks you don't have on your list that I would have included are Jaki Graham - Round and Around, I'll Be Good by Rene and Angela, It's Called A Heart by Depeche Mode (for its futuristic Oliver Heldens-esque production alone), and Animotion - Obsession. Bronski Beat - Hit That Perfect Beat I would also have included - a real precursor to 90s eurodance that one in terms of style. Interesting that you chose Mai Tai's Body and Soul rather than History. History would be among my favourite tracks of 1985. Oh and like King Rollo I would have included Godley and Creme - Cry too.

Tarzan Boy isn't really a novelty song, I should have said guilty pleasure. Regardless, it is a classic 80s anthem. Crazy For You was my No.42, narrowing these down to just 40 is hard sad.gif
Funny you mention the Groove Cutters from 2005 - a big club tune which I bought at the time. Chances are high that will make my Top 40 of 2005 heart.gif

I like all the other songs you mentioned too. I don't know why, but I've never been mad on History. I've always much preferred Body & Soul, and a non UK hit What Goes On.

Love your commentaries. Thank you so much heart.gif

+Quote this post
AH Gold
post 9th May 2020, 12:36 AM
Post #45
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

QUOTE(King Rollo @ May 7 2020, 07:24 PM) *
There are some great songs in your list that I couldn't fit into my top 20. I have found room for Godley & Creme and Don Henley which you said just missed out. I know 'The Whole Of The Moon' peaked much higher in 1991 but I've included it here as it belongs in the 80s. I always think of 1979-1984 as being the golden era of the top 40 singles chart so it surprises me that I only had to go down to number 719 in my all-time chart this time which makes 1985 the best year so far using that as a measurement.

1. Propaganda - Duel
2. Godley & Creme - Cry
3. Art Of Noise - Close (To The Edit)
4. Grace Jones - Slave To The Rhythm
5. Tears For Fears - Everybody Wants To Rule The World
6. The Rah Band - Clouds Across The Moon
7. Tears For Fears - Shout
8. The Smiths - How Soon Is Now
9. The Waterboys - The Whole Of The Moon
10. Marillion - Heart Of Lothian
11. Tears For Fears - Head Over Heels
12. Red Box - Lean On Me (Ah-Li-Ayo)
13. Dire Straits - Brothers In Arms
14. Prefab Sprout - When Love Breaks Down
15. The Cars - Drive
16. Kate Bush - Cloudbusting
17. Don Henley - The Boys Of Summer
18. Phil Collins - Take Me Home
19. Midge Ure - If I Was
20. U2 - The Unforgettable Fire

I see we share 7 mutual faves this time round. I'll be saving the Waterboys till '91 (if it makes it in that is). A great list heart.gif

+Quote this post
AH Gold
post 9th May 2020, 12:39 AM
Post #46
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

QUOTE(Steve201 @ May 8 2020, 01:14 AM) *
1985 for me is a real great year too even if 1979-84 was my favourite time watching totps repeats. It felt like a real in between year in terms of bands from the early new wave/romantic eras reaching their commercial peak before disappearing quite quickly such as Spandau Ballet/Duran Duran/Human League/Wham/Culture Club

As Snake pointed out Art of Noise and Paul Hardcastle were bringing new unique sounds into the chart which paved the way for Chicago house a year later. But the quality although excellent became VERY mainstream which for me leads the way for the SAW take over between 1987-90. For example big power ballads were at their peak and new wave bands stopped being unique and became commercial enterprises which isn't a criticism as such simply they aimed for the top!

I must confess, I am a bit of a S/A/W fan I'm afraid laugh.gif so there'll be quite a lot appearing over the next few years. Regarding the TOTP repeats, as a show I always felt it was at its strongest in the '81-'84 years. heart.gif

+Quote this post
AH Gold
post 9th May 2020, 01:15 AM
Post #47
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

1986 will always be a hugely special year for me. Firstly, I bought my very first single this year at Cruisin' Records in Welling. It was Farley Jackmaster Funk's Love Can't Turn Around, which I'm sure you'll agree is very credible for a 5 year old. The next single was Sinitta's So Macho. Make of that what you will. Both feature here, in Sinitta's case, mainly for Cruising, which is the superior track in my opinion.
Secondly, 1986 saw the arrival of my little sister. Mum suffered a miscarriage the previous year, so was obviously overjoyed I now had a sibling. She was born to the sounds of Europe's The Final Countdown blaring from the hospital radio. I always felt Ave Santini from The Omen would have been far more appropriate. As happy as Mum was, she had no inkling her daughter would go on to cause her just as much headaches and agony as me! And little did I know, that in our 30s we'd end up living together (No one else would tolerate living with her I'm afraid, so she was dumped on me....I'm only joking. Ish. I love her really. Ish.)
I also started primary school this year. All throughout my childhood, I had adults constantly tell me whenever I moaned (was, shockingly, was often) that "you'll look back on your school days as the best years of your life." Even then I knew they were lying. See, I was clever and observant, despite what all my school reports said.

As this was such a special year for me as a first time record buyer and as more memories begin to form, this was the hardest Top 40 to compile. My initial longlist was 67 tracks! I won't list all of them, but the ones I had to cut out include Communards, Steve Winwood, Falco, Jim Diamond, Bangles, Alexander O’Neal, Diana Ross, Whitney Houston, Grace Jones, Janet Jackson, Smiths, Simply Red, Billy Ocean, Kate Bush, Jaki Graham, Erasure & Madonna’s True Blue.

My Favourite Top 40 Hits Of 1986

1. Kim Wilde – You Keep Me Hangin’ On
2. Dead Or Alive – Brand New Lover
3. A-ha – The Sun Always Shines On TV
4. Nu Shooz – I Can’t Wait
5. Pet Shop Boys – Opportunities (Let’s Make Lots Of Money)
6. Farley ‘Jackmaster’ Funk – Love Can’t Turn Around
7. Mel & Kim – Showing Out (Get Fresh At The Weekend)
8. Pete Wylie – Sinful
9. Pet Shop Boys – Love Comes Quickly
10. Gwen Guthrie – Ain’t Nothin’ Goin’ On But The Rent
11. Status Quo – In The Army Now
12. Nick Kamen – Each Time You Break My Heart
13. Bananarama – Venus
14. Pet Shop Boys – West End Girls
15. Human League – Human
16. Madonna – Borderline
17. Queen – Who Wants To Live Forever
18. Madonna – Live To Tell
19. Sinitta – So Macho/Cruising
20. Debbie Harry – French Kissin’ In The USA
21. Princess – I’ll Keep On Loving You
22. Wham! – The Edge Of Heaven
23. Madonna – Papa Don’t Preach
24. Madonna – Open Your Heart
25. Depeche Mode – A Question Of Time
26. Sly Fox – Let’s Go All The Way
27. Doctor & The Medics – Spirit In The Sky
28. Prince & The Revolution – Kiss
29. Pet Shop Boys – Suburbia
30. Madness – (Waiting For) The Ghost Train
31. Bucks Fizz – New Beginning (Mamba Seyra)
32. Cameo – Candy
33. Amazulu – Too Good To Be Forgotten
34. Orchestral Manoeuvres In The Dark – (Forever) Live And Die
35. Paul Hardcastle – The Wizard
36. Red Box – For America
37. Five Star – Rain Or Shine
38. Housemartins – Think For A Minute
39. Berlin – Take My Breath Away
40. Swing Out Sister – Breakout

This post has been edited by AH Gold: 9th May 2020, 01:18 AM

+Quote this post
Bjork
post 9th May 2020, 07:15 AM
Post #48
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 22,665

not a fan of early 80s, was too young, but really started enjoying music from 86 on. These are my favourites from your list with the #1 being Live to Tell. Wanted to pick 10 but ended up with 12.

13. Bananarama – Venus
16. Madonna – Borderline

+Quote this post
King Rollo
post 9th May 2020, 07:12 PM
Post #49
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 23,961

From your list,I couldn't find room for Opportunities,In The Army Now,A Question Of Time and New Beginning. This is my top 20 for the year:

1. Queen - Who Wants To Live Forever
2. Pet Shop Boys - Suburbia
3. Peter Gabriel & Kate Bush - Don't Give up
4. Depeche Mode - Stripped
5. Mike and the Mechanics - Silent Running
6. Mr Mister - Broken Wings
7. A-ha - The Sun Always Shines On TV
8. Daryl Hall - Dreamtime
9. Pet Shop Boys - West End Girls
10. It's Immaterial - Driving Away From Home
11. Dire Straits - Your Latest Trick
12. Pet Shop Boys - Love Comes Quickly
13. A-ha - Hunting High And Low
14. Depeche Mode - A Question Of Lust
15. Paul McCartney - Press
16. It Bites - Calling All The Heroes
17. Talk Talk - Life's What You Make It
18. Peter Gabriel - Sledgehammer
19. ELO - Calling America
20. Pete Wylie - Sinful

This post has been edited by King Rollo: 9th May 2020, 07:14 PM

+Quote this post
TheSnake
post 9th May 2020, 07:25 PM
Post #50
Group icon

The Kim Wilde cover is such a tune, her brother did a great job with the production, late 80s dance-pop production at its best. So Macho by Sinitta I don't like much - too cheesy, but Cruising the B side is a very good hi-NRG track. Papa Don't Preach - another good Madonna track. Love Don't Turn Around is an iconic track, first house track in the charts and it has a brilliant bassline., Mel and Kim had the second house track to make the charts with Showing Out - I like the production on it, one of Stock Aitken Waterman's best. 'Breakout' is cheesy - a precursor to cheesy late 80s pop but still a good track. West End Girls I thought was more 1985 than 1986, but deservedly a classic, and The Sun Always Shines On TV is a lovely song. In The Army Now is much different to Status Quo's usual style but a very good song anyway.

Of those that haven't made your list, I would add another hit by Jaki Graham to my faves from 1986, this time Set Me Free. Also Frankie Goes To Hollywood - Warriors Of The Wasteland, Genesis - Land Of Confusion and The Communards - Don't Leave Me This Way and Disenchanted (which I prefer of the two).

This post has been edited by dandruff*: 9th May 2020, 07:50 PM

+Quote this post
TheSnake
post 10th May 2020, 06:31 PM
Post #51
Group icon

QUOTE(King Rollo @ May 9 2020, 08:12 PM) *

Oh I forgot about that. What a tune, very atmospheric too. Not usually a big fan of 80s power ballads but it and John Farnham's The Voice are my two favourite 80s power ballads, followed closely by T'Pau - China In Your Hand and Heart - These Dreams.

This post has been edited by dandruff*: 10th May 2020, 06:32 PM

+Quote this post
AH Gold
post 12th May 2020, 12:38 AM
Post #52
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

QUOTE(Bjork @ May 9 2020, 08:15 AM) *
not a fan of early 80s, was too young, but really started enjoying music from 86 on. These are my favourites from your list with the #1 being Live to Tell. Wanted to pick 10 but ended up with 12.

13. Bananarama – Venus
16. Madonna – Borderline

All fantastic gems. Thanks for commenting heart.gif

+Quote this post
AH Gold
post 12th May 2020, 12:41 AM
Post #53
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

QUOTE(King Rollo @ May 9 2020, 08:12 PM) *
From your list,I couldn't find room for Opportunities,In The Army Now,A Question Of Time and New Beginning. This is my top 20 for the year:

1. Queen - Who Wants To Live Forever
2. Pet Shop Boys - Suburbia
3. Peter Gabriel & Kate Bush - Don't Give up
4. Depeche Mode - Stripped
5. Mike and the Mechanics - Silent Running
7. A-ha - The Sun Always Shines On TV
8. Daryl Hall - Dreamtime
9. Pet Shop Boys - West End Girls
10. It's Immaterial - Driving Away From Home
11. Dire Straits - Your Latest Trick
12. Pet Shop Boys - Love Comes Quickly
13. A-ha - Hunting High And Low
14. Depeche Mode - A Question Of Lust
15. Paul McCartney - Press
16. It Bites - Calling All The Heroes
17. Talk Talk - Life's What You Make It
18. Peter Gabriel - Sledgehammer
19. ELO - Calling America
20. Pete Wylie - Sinful

Interesting to see Queen at No.1 - one of their very best songs in my opinion. Great to see Pete Wylie, A-ha and a few PSB classics there too. heart.gif

+Quote this post
AH Gold
post 12th May 2020, 12:47 AM
Post #54
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

QUOTE(dandruff* @ May 9 2020, 08:25 PM) *
The Kim Wilde cover is such a tune, her brother did a great job with the production, late 80s dance-pop production at its best. So Macho by Sinitta I don't like much - too cheesy, but Cruising the B side is a very good hi-NRG track. Papa Don't Preach - another good Madonna track. Love Don't Turn Around is an iconic track, first house track in the charts and it has a brilliant bassline., Mel and Kim had the second house track to make the charts with Showing Out - I like the production on it, one of Stock Aitken Waterman's best. 'Breakout' is cheesy - a precursor to cheesy late 80s pop but still a good track. West End Girls I thought was more 1985 than 1986, but deservedly a classic, and The Sun Always Shines On TV is a lovely song. In The Army Now is much different to Status Quo's usual style but a very good song anyway.

Of those that haven't made your list, I would add another hit by Jaki Graham to my faves from 1986, this time Set Me Free. Also Frankie Goes To Hollywood - Warriors Of The Wasteland, Genesis - Land Of Confusion and The Communards - Don't Leave Me This Way and Disenchanted (which I prefer of the two).

Hi - totally agree about Cruising, that's 95% of the reason its in my Top 20. LCTA is indeed iconic. I've always believed Showing Out to be a house track yet never gets recognised as such. Regardless it's definitely one of SAW's best.

As West End Girls peaked in '86, it features here rather than in the '85 Top 40. Likewise, one of the additions you mentioned peaked in January '87 (although I too equate it to 1986) and will be featuring in that year's Top 40 instead. heart.gif

+Quote this post
AH Gold
post 12th May 2020, 01:12 AM
Post #55
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

It's strange that I still have some vivid memories of 1986, yet hardly any of the following year. All I do know is that I was bullied mercilessly at primary school by a boy in my year. He'd pick on me every chance he'd get, which is probably not too surprising considering I was still dragging my cuddly toy Freddie The Fox around with me 24/7. That and the fact I cried. A lot. I hated him. I'm pretty sure he hit me with a ruler too.
Apparently this sort of thing happened very regularly. So much so, my Mum and his Mum were called up to the school on a weekly basis. They were there so often they found they got on and became lifelong best friends in the process. As a result of this, me and bully boy were forced to spend time in each other's company outside of school which neither of us appreciated...Anyway, 33 years on, we're still best friends too. Strange how things turn out eh?

My longlist was just a mere 49 tracks this time round. Those missing out on the Top 40: Prince, Rick Astley, Run DMC, Erasure, Westworld, Communards, George Harrison, Madonna's La Isla Bonita & Pet Shop Boys' It's A Sin

My Favourite Top 40 Hits Of 1987

1. M/A/R/R/S - Pump Up The Volume
2. Scarlet Fantastic - No Memory
3. A-ha - Manhattan Skyline
4. Pet Shop Boys - Always On My Mind
5. Mental As Anything - Live It Up
6. Bananarama - Love In The First Degree
7. Carly Simon - Coming Around Again
8. Mel & Kim - Respectable
9. Samantha Fox - Nothing's Gonna Stop Me Now
10. Heart - Alone
11. T'Pau - Heart And Soul
12. Bee Gees - You Win Again
13. Steve 'Silk' Hurley - Jack Your Body
14. Spagna - Call Me
15. Madonna - Who's That Girl
16. Eurythmics - Beethoven (I Love To Listen To)
17. Genesis - Land Of Confusion
18. Man 2 Man Meets Man Parrish - Male Stripper
19. Fleetwood Mac - Little Lies
20. Bananarama - I Heard A Rumour
21. Elkie Brooks - No More The Fool
22. Alexander O'Neal - Criticize
23. Pet Shop Boys Feat. Dusty Springfield - What Have I Done To Deserve This
24. Wet Wet Wet - Wishing I Was Lucky
25. The Smiths - Girlfriend In A Coma
26. Taffy - I Love My Radio
27. UB40 - Rat In Mi Itchen
28. Living In A Box - Living In A Box
29. Fleetwood Mac - Big Love
30. Mel & Kim - F.L.M
31. Pet Shop Boys - Rent
32. Alison Moyet - Weak In The Presence Of Beauty
33. T-Pau - China In Your Hand
34. Five Star - The Slightest Touch
35. Gap Band - Big Fun
36. George Michael - I Want Your Sex
37. Dead Or Alive - Something In My House
38. Steve Winwood - Valerie
39. Blue Mercedes - I Want To Be Your Property
40. Suzanne Vega - Luka

This post has been edited by AH Gold: 12th May 2020, 01:16 AM

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post 12th May 2020, 07:09 AM
Post #56
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 17,376

Exactly one quarter of 1985 top 40 topped my charts, and many others came close, so pretty much as I'd expect biggrin.gif

5 years old is very early for a first record! We didnt even have a record player (a portable one) until I was 9 ohmy.gif Sex n drugs n rock n roll? I didnt hit that phase until I was 43 - 2001 onwards (apart from the drugs phase which I have entirely missed so far) laugh.gif

1986: 9 chart-toppers, I've never heard Sinitta's Cruisin' - though I might have approved of it around about 2001 biggrin.gif

1987: I was also often bullied at school, right through to being 15 years old (14 years olds are the absolute worst), cos I never fought back, except for one occasion when I lost it and grabbed the git who was bothering me again by the clothes and swung him round and round me till he fell over in front of everyone and looked like a tit. Oddly enough I don;t recall him bothering me again, don't know if it's co-incidence.. laugh.gif

A mere 6 chart-toppers (though the ones that just missed your 40 included some number 1's), plus some classic tracks that would have topped my charts in a year where they didn;t clash with some all-time faves, like MARRS/ T'Pau/ Heart/ Genesis etc.

+Quote this post
TheSnake
post 12th May 2020, 10:46 AM
Post #57
Group icon

This continues to be a brilliant thread through musical history.

So for 1987 some brilliant songs in your top 40. Living In A Box and Criticize really do represent late 80s pop at its best, both epic. Spagna Call Me is very good, it sounds both cheesy and at the same time somewhat also relevant to today's music in its structure - the instrumental 'drop' instead of the chorus is a big thing these days in pop music.

More and more dance music was appearing in the charts at this time which is great as I am a big fan of dance music and your #1 song Pump Up The Volume is completely different to anything else in the charts at the time. Must have sounded incredibly futuristic at the time. 'Jack Your Body' is also an iconic track - those rhythms are brilliant. Male Stripper - cheesy lyrics but the production is great (good enough to be sampled in a popular dance song by Purple Disco Machine recently), I should have mentioned the quite similar in style instrumentally Love Missile F1-11 by Sigue Sigue Sputnik as being one of my 1986 favourites. Also in the Hi-NRG genre (albeit mixed with house influences), Respectable by Mel and Kim is a good catchy song - I am sure 'Take Take T-T-T-T-Take' was stuck in a lot of peoples heads at the time!

That Wet Wet Wet song is easily their best in my opinion - such a unique sounding pop song and while some of their later songs were still good, I wish they would have stayed in that sort of style of music. Something In My House is my favourite of Dead or Alive's singles. You Win Again is very nice, I do like the late Bee Gees era and it and For Whom The Bell Tolls are great songs.

Of those you didn't include, I would have included A-ha - Cry Wolf, Pet Shop Boys - It's A Sin, Communards - Tomorrow and Never Say Goodbye ('Tomorrow' being higher on my list), John Farnham - The Voice, Hue and Cry - Labour of Love, Robbie Nevil - Dominoes, Karel Fialka - Hey Matthew (this one is a bit like Ace of Base with the production, isn't it) and Gary Numan and Radio Heart - Radio Heart in my top 40. A good year for chart music, better than 1986 in my opinion.

This post has been edited by dandruff*: 12th May 2020, 10:59 AM

+Quote this post
Bjork
post 12th May 2020, 11:19 AM
Post #58
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 22,665

87 was my first year proper following the charts
favourite tracks: the 2 T'Pau singles (China in Your Hand and Heart and Soul, Heart-Alone, the 2 Bananarama singles (I Heard a rumour and Love in the First Degree, Kim Wilde - Another Step, Pepsi & Shirlie - Heartache but the 2nd single was good too, Janet Jackson - Lets wait awhile, PSB - Always on my Mind, Madonna - La Isla Bonita and Who's That Girl, Whitesnake - Is this Love, Suzanne Vega - Luka, Mel & Kim - Respectable, Level 42 - It's over, Black's Wonderful Life and Sweetest Smile, all Terence Trent D'arby songs, the 2 Johnny Hates Jazz singles

I was also into some indie bands, my fav being All About Eve - Flowers in Our Hair and In the Clouds, The Smiths - Girlfriend in a coma, Depeche Mode - Strangelove, The Cure - Just like Heaven.

This post has been edited by Bjork: 13th May 2020, 07:59 AM

+Quote this post
King Rollo
post 12th May 2020, 05:41 PM
Post #59
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 23,961

This is my top 20 from the year. Never Let Me Down Again is best heard in its 9 minute 'Split Mix' version while the original 9 minute album version of Tonight,Tonight,Tonight is better than the truncated single release.

1. Depeche Mode - Never Let Me Down Again
2. Genesis - Tonight Tonight Tonight
3. Marillion - Sugar Mice
4. Pet Shop Boys - It's A Sin
5. Black - Wonderful Life
6. Pet Shop Boys - Rent
7. Genesis - Land Of Confusion
8. New Order - True Faith
9. A-ha - Manhattan Skyline
10. Frankie Goes To Hollywood - Watching The Wildlife
11. Cliff Richard - Some People
12. Pet Shop Boys - Always On My Mind
13. Steve Winwood - Valerie
14. U2 - Where The Streets Have No Name
15. Paul McCartney - Once Upon A Long Ago
16. ABC - When Smokey Sings
17. Eurythmics - Beethoven (I Love To Listen)
18. Karel Fialka - Hey Matthew
19. George Harrison - Got My Mind Set On You
20. Wax - Bridge To Your Heart

This post has been edited by King Rollo: 12th May 2020, 05:43 PM

+Quote this post
AH Gold
post 13th May 2020, 12:53 AM
Post #60
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

QUOTE(Popchartfreak @ May 12 2020, 08:09 AM) *
Exactly one quarter of 1985 top 40 topped my charts, and many others came close, so pretty much as I'd expect biggrin.gif

5 years old is very early for a first record! We didnt even have a record player (a portable one) until I was 9 ohmy.gif Sex n drugs n rock n roll? I didnt hit that phase until I was 43 - 2001 onwards (apart from the drugs phase which I have entirely missed so far) laugh.gif

1986: 9 chart-toppers, I've never heard Sinitta's Cruisin' - though I might have approved of it around about 2001 biggrin.gif

1987: I was also often bullied at school, right through to being 15 years old (14 years olds are the absolute worst), cos I never fought back, except for one occasion when I lost it and grabbed the git who was bothering me again by the clothes and swung him round and round me till he fell over in front of everyone and looked like a tit. Oddly enough I don;t recall him bothering me again, don't know if it's co-incidence.. laugh.gif

A mere 6 chart-toppers (though the ones that just missed your 40 included some number 1's), plus some classic tracks that would have topped my charts in a year where they didn;t clash with some all-time faves, like MARRS/ T'Pau/ Heart/ Genesis etc.

Hi John,

Cruising is so superior to its more well known A-side, just as camp and HI-NRG but a far better song. Cruisin' around 2001? I'm an angel I wouldn't know anything about that teresa.gif

laugh.gif Well done for standing up to your bully. I just became best friends with mine - fear not, I have more than got my own back over the years! There were others though and like you I never fought back. Although, in my case, looking back the bullying of me was quite justifiable laugh.gif

Just six chart toppers from the '87 Top 40? I imagine when we get to the 90s that number may decrease further - who knows? Cheers heart.gif

+Quote this post

12 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 24th April 2024, 02:42 AM