BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
> -

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Year End Charts, General Question
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
mick745
post Jul 31 2020, 08:37 AM
Post #1
Group icon
BuzzJack Climber
User: 17,441
When did the 'year end' singles charts begin in the UK and how has the length of the chart varied?

Is there a definite YE chart archive anywhere? The source I have always used for this data in the 1980s and 1990s was the official year end chart countdown broadcast on Radio 1. However, it seems that different sources vary. The lists on wikipedia for example does not correspond to the radio 1 lists, which in turn does not correspond to other sources. There must be a true list somewhere.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Robbie
post Jul 31 2020, 09:01 AM
Post #2
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 366
QUOTE(mick745 @ Jul 31 2020, 09:37 AM) *
When did the 'year end' singles charts begin in the UK and how has the length of the chart varied?

Is there a definite YE chart archive anywhere? The source I have always used for this data in the 1980s and 1990s was the official year end chart countdown broadcast on Radio 1. However, it seems that different sources vary. The lists on wikipedia for example does not correspond to the radio 1 lists, which in turn does not correspond to other sources. There must be a true list somewhere.
Back in the 1970s and 1980s the Radio 1 chart of the year was compiled ahead of the end of the chart year simply so that Radio 1 would have an end of year chart to countdown on the Sunday between the Christmas and New Year. The cut off point for sales was at one time the first Saturday in December. As technology improved and the chart collection process became fully computerised the cut off point eventually ended up as the Saturday before Christmas and then from the late 80s the Radio 1 EOY chart usually covered the whole 52 weeks. From 1977 to the late 1980s the BPI would publish a revised end of year chart to include all sales to the end of the year. The revised chart usually appeared in February of the following year, ahead of the publication of the annual BPI Yearbook series.

The first "official" end of year chart was published in 1969 when the chart became sales based and compiled by the BMRB on behalf of the Radio 1 and the music industry. I'm sure each music newspaper probably has their own end of year chart prior to that. The first end of year chart in 1969 was points based (50 points for a number 1, 49 for number 2 down to 1 point for number 50) simply because the music industry chart didn't start until February of that year. The end of year charts from 1970 onwards are all sales based.

I don't know if BuzzJack has all these old charts in its archive. I'm sure I've seen the end of year charts from the 90s here and presumably everything since then is here. I have the 1970s and 1980s end of year charts (the revised ones, published by the BPI) if they are missing from the archive.

+Quote this post
AcerBen
post Jul 31 2020, 09:39 AM
Post #3
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 3,429
Haven Forum has them all

+Quote this post
Music Chronicle
post Aug 2 2020, 08:34 AM
Post #4
Group icon
BuzzJack Climber
User: 90,492
Even when "full year" lists were compiled in the early 80s, they still missed the vital Christmas week, when no data was collected by the BMRB.

The only place you will find a list for all of 1980 is in The Music Chronicle 1980, which has estimated sales for that missing week, using a variety of industry sources, and compiled a year end Top 197 for UK singles and Top 147 for UK albums which covers the entire year.

The Music Chronicle 1981 is currently in preparation, and will also fill in the gaps to create the most accurate year end lists for 1981 which have ever existed.

This post has been edited by Music Chronicle: Aug 2 2020, 08:34 AM

+Quote this post

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 users are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 02:38 AM