BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
17 Pages V  « < 14 15 16 17 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Persephonia / National Thread, BJSC 120: Vegyn - Debold
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Brer
post 2nd May 2019, 02:51 PM
Post #301
Group icon
is my brain across your walls?
User: 8,300

Persephonian News Bulletin ~ 02/05/2019
[2/2]

BJSC 114

I do not know how to dance

Molchat Doma dance their way straight to the final for BJSC 114!

For BJSC 114, held in North Danaelanda (following a previous hosting by South Danaelanda, thus making Danaelandan / Danćvii hosting jobs perfectly balanced as all things should be), we had a 50/50 chance of auto-qualifying following our 2nd place finish in the previous contest. 59 countries confirmed for this contest which seemed to end the dream but by divine intervention Pupok ended up withdrawing after being vetoed, so we've been able to auto-qualify anyway - we are forever indebted to Pupok's sacrifice to help us get a probable 36th-ish place finish instead of a probable DNQ cheer.gif it's the 4th time in all we've auto-qualified and got to vote in both semi-finals, following the two guaranteed ones in BJSCs 68 and 75 and also having the coin land the right way up in BJSC 58 (but not in BJSC 62).

So, officially confirmed already as our 70th appearance in a BJSC final, 2nd in a row and 3rd of 4 in 2019 to date, our 93rd main contest entry comes from Belarusian band Molchat Doma (Молчат Дома in the original Cyrillic, translating to Silent Houses). The song, 'Tancevat' ('Танцевать', translating to 'Dance'), is one that's been on our list of potential entries since discovering it last December although it's one of those that was filed under 'probably won't send if I care about continuing a qualification streak' so it's a good thing we got a chance to go for an auto-qualifier (and were successful) so soon after finding it or it may never have seen the light of day. It's taken from their second studio album 'Etazhi' ('Этажи', 'Floors') which dropped in September 2018. Belarus is a new addition to our list of nationalities, our 22nd in main contests.

Molchat Doma's music falls under the banners of new wave and post-punk as well as the more niche genre 'Sovietwave', although the lyrical content of this song is a little more lighthearted and less political than most of their others (they described the song in an interview as the only one on the album that has no deeper meaning and is just an 'ordinary dance song'). It's a sound reminiscent of some of The Cure's work, especially the song 'A Forest' (my favourite song by The Cure), really sounding like a time capsule of the early 80s despite being recorded only recently. It's our third Russian language entry to date following LUNA's 'Butylochka' in BJSC 99 and IC3PEAK's 'Grustnaya Suka' in BJSC 101, making Russian the first language other than English that we've sent three times. It's our third foreign language entry of the year and 17th in total in main contests. Check out the song below (on SoundCloud, as there's no official upload of it on YouTube, not even a Topic one x) ((edit: a Topic video for it now exists on YouTube and has been added to our YouTube entries playlist, hooray)) (((later edit: and amazingly a full year after the song came out they made a music video for it which has now replaced both of the previous links in our playlist, yay!)))

Another Persephonian alumnus artist has made a return to the contest this time, the aforementioned LUNA (ЛУНА) representing our close allies Jadakissnia this month with 'Dumala' ('Думала') from the same album as our original entry of hers, which appears as song 21 in semi-final 1. We hope to see her doing well again as this is another great track from her (and thanks Jade for not sending it when you originally found it because otherwise I'd never have sent 'Butylochka' and got a top 5 hit out of it x)
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
BridgeCow
post 2nd May 2019, 07:07 PM
Post #302
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 23,860

erm I'm obsessed with this and idk why cus it doesn't seem like my thing at ALL

+Quote this post
Brer
post 10th June 2019, 04:00 PM
Post #303
Group icon

Persephonian News Bulletin ~ 10/06/2019
[1/2]

Who joined us in the final?

With Molchat Doma's 'Tancevat' auto-qualifying for us there was no tension for if we'd be in the final or not so we were just rooting for our favourites in the semi-final results of BJSC 114 in North Danaelanda. In total 15 of the 20 songs we voted for made it into the final with us - that included 9 of the 10 we voted for in semi-final 1, although the one casualty there was the most disappointing, our 10 pointer 'We Are The World' by Thelma Aoyama representing Aesthetica. 6 of our 10 votes in semi-final 2 qualifying, with Land of DW (Conchita Wurst's 'Trash All The Glam'), Deandria (Mina Harker's 'Schwarze Witwe'), Wholune (WOOZE's 'I'll Have What She's Having') and New Lexico (Spice's 'Romantic Mood') falling short after getting 7, 5, 2 and 1 points from us respectively (the latter being 1/3 of New Lexico's total points, it was a bop ok x). Aeroche and Cor Lupus both qualified as ever to reach their 28th finals in a row each with St. Burbia still remaining their closest competitor in the qualification streak list on 15 in a row.

BJSC 114 summary

- 'Tancevat' was, as expected, not a particularly big hit for us but still managed to reach triple figure points and beat a few of the other songs in the final although sadly not enough to avoid a bottom 5 finish, coming 34th out of 38 with 109 points from 16 voters. That's also a new unique final position for us which doesn't happen that often any more so we'll take it xx Two countries ranked the song in their top 3, it didn't get any 18s but did get 15 points from Trifoski and 13 from Suedeonia, with its next biggest fans being Cowtermont (12 points) and Fljótavík (11 points).

- rest of summary to be added later once I'm done with the Songs of BJSC thread x (#soon #mks #yesiamstillworkingonit)

Full Persephonian rankings for BJSC 114

Final

Points awarded:
18 Elëdan // Erika Lundmoen - Yad
15 Fljótavík // DJ Mehdi - Signatune (Thomas Bangalter Edit)
13 Terra Avium // Altın Gün - Süpürgesi Yoncadan

12 Skall // Against All Logic - I Never Dream
11 North Danaelanda // Y Traxx - Mystery Land
10 Cowtermont // Uun - One Occult Vision
9 Jadakissnia // LUNA - Dumala
8 Altyr Muunilinst // SOAK - Maybe
7 Taahino // Anavae - High
6 Espen // Imminence - Saturated Soul

5 Séyetana // Marnik - Up & Down
4 Utopia // Hayden Thorpe - Love Crimes
3 Aeroche // Say Lou Lou and Lindstrřm - Games For Girls
2 Dobago // Shogun - Skyfire
1 Cadelicia // World's End Press - Tall Stories

16th-37th:
Quintessa // French 79 - Between The Buttons
Tartford // José Padilla - Who Do You Love (Chicane Remix) (feat. Angela John)
Břtanikkä // Dance 2 Trance - P.ower Of A.merican N.atives (feat. Linda Rocco)
St. Burbia // Nasty Cherry - Win
Cor Lupus // Luke Bond - Right Now (feat. Sara Skinner)
Unovia // Tazer and Tink - Wet Dollars
#00274E // Crush - Jellyhead (Motiv 8's Pumphouse Remix)
Trifoski // Kite - Dance Again
Kylienips // Caravan Palace - Miracle
Greenfroze // Mimoza - Love For Days
Mosquetania // Sam Bluer - Body High
Oslol // Eden xo - Have It All (F9 Club Mix)
Kluminican Republic // Alison Wonderland - Church
The Actual Republic of Bellamia // Bea Miller and 6LACK - it's not u it's me
Ojnoj // ILIRA - DO IT YOURSELF
République d'Áskorza // Mutya Keisha Siobhan - Only You
Thelonia // Openside - Character Flaws
Tinnmark // Offer Nissim pts. Jimmy Fontana - El Mundo
Lotunia // Merk & Kremont and Ady Suleiman - Sad Story (Out Of Luck)
Bhangra // MARUV - Focus On Me
FARC // Kokiri - Other Side Of Love
Hushkanukia // Dami Im - Fighting For Love

~

Semi-Final 1

12 Elëdan // Erika Lundmoen - Yad
10 Aesthetica // Thelma Aoyama - We Are The World
8 Altyr Muunilinst // SOAK - Maybe

7 Jadakissnia // LUNA - Dumala
6 Espen // Imminence - Saturated Soul
5 Taahino // Anavae - High
4 Dobago // Shogun - Skyfire
3 Utopia // Hayden Thorpe - Love Crimes
2 Quintessa // French 79 - Between The Buttons
1 Břtanikkä // Dance 2 Trance - P.ower Of A.merican N.atives (feat. Linda Rocco)

11th-28th:
Arcodesia // Morat - Cómo Te Atreves
St. Burbia // Nasty Cherry - Win
Aeroche // Say Lou Lou and Lindstrřm - Games For Girls
Unovia // Tazer and Tink - Wet Dollars
Trifoski // Kite - Dance Again
East Rukahavian // Jannika B - Kaksi Jotka Pelkää
Kylienips // Caravan Palace - Miracle
Mosquetania // Sam Bluer - Body High
Suedeonia // Neon Waltz - Dreamers
Tinnmark // Offer Nissim pts. Jimmy Fontana - El Mundo
Florina // Lastlings - I've Got You
Harmonica // Sally - Calculated
République d'Áskorza // Mutya Keisha Siobhan - Only You
Hendinia // Hannah Jane Lewis - Not Yours Never Was
Jupiterdonia // Whinnie Williams - What About Me
FARC // Kokiri - Other Side Of Love
Rolloland // Nik Kershaw - The Sky's The Limit (Robbie Bronnimann Mix)
Singerpurear // Raleigh Ritchie - Time In A Tree

DNQed

~

Semi-Final 2

12 Fljótavík // DJ Mehdi - Signatune (Thomas Bangalter Edit)
10 Skall // Against All Logic - I Never Dream
8 Terra Avium // Altın Gün - Süpürgesi Yoncadan

7 Land of DW // Conchita Wurst - Trash All The Glam
6 Cowtermont // Uun - One Occult Vision
5 Deandria // Mina Harker - Schwarze Witwe
4 Cadelicia // World's End Press - Tall Stories
3 Séyetana // Marnik - Up & Down
2 Wholune // WOOZE - I'll Have What She's Having
1 New Lexico // Spice - Romantic Mood

11th-28th:
Tartford // José Padilla - Who Do You Love (Chicane Remix) (feat. Angela John)
Niceland // Sander Kleinenberg - This Is Ibiza
Cor Lupus // Luke Bond - Right Now (feat. Sara Skinner)
UltraME!land // unperfect - Looking For A Hug
#00274E // Crush - Jellyhead (Motiv 8's Pumphouse Remix)
Greenfroze // Mimoza - Love For Days
The Actual Republic of Bellamia // Bea Miller and 6LACK - it's not u it's me
Kluminican Republic // Alison Wonderland - Church
Ojnoj // ILIRA - DO IT YOURSELF
FSR Rontvia // Friends - Pacmahara (feat. Jean-Pierre Barda)
Thelonia // Openside - Character Flaws
Daehun // Namie Amuro - Contrail
Bhangra // MARUV - Focus On Me
Oslol // Eden xo - Have It All (F9 Club Mix)
Lotunia // Merk & Kremont and Ady Suleiman - Sad Story (Out Of Luck)
Hushkanukia // Dami Im - Fighting For Love
Vülkyria // Electric Lady Lab - Open Doors
Buzzjack Mountain // Birizdo I Am - Dollar

DNQed

+Quote this post
Brer
post 10th June 2019, 04:00 PM
Post #304
Group icon

Persephonian News Bulletin ~ 10/06/2019
[2/2]

BJSC 115

if love was...

Persephonia stay in #russianbloc with MIRČLE for BJSC 115

BJSC is back in Oslol (god help us) for the second time this year for BJSC 115 and after the fun of auto-qualifying last month it's back into the semis for Persephonia. For our 94th main contest entry we have recruited Israel-based Russian singer Eva Gurari, recording under the name MIRČLE, with 'Yesli By Lyubov'' ('Если Бы Любовь', translating to 'If Love'). MIRČLE is only 18 years old if her Instagram profile is to be believed but she already has a fairly expansive discography - this song was the lead single to her second solo album 'Renaissance', released in March of this year, but she has also released 5 albums as one half of the duo MY (МЫ), who have also already split and reformed within her short career so far.

Although she is only the second Russian artist we've sent to the contest, it is the fourth song we've sent in the Russian language (and the second in a row), further cementing that as the second favourite language of the Persephonian BJSC Committee. 'Yesli By Lyubov'' is a cute and catchy little dream-pop number with lyrics that don't really make any sense (maybe lost in translation). It continues our run of uncharacteristically short entries this year, coming and going within 3 minutes and sadly only having one verse sandwiched between 2 choruses before a mostly instrumental outro, could have done with it being a little more fleshed out really but it does mean it lends itself well to playing on repeat x When we discovered the song we thought it sounded a bit like a more upbeat version of our past entry LUNA's output, and as it turns out the two have even toured together (and the word 'luna' appears in the chorus of this song although that's probably a coincidence). We can only hope this will appeal to people as much as LUNA's 'Butylochka' did. Check out the clearly very low budget but still pretty cute music video below.

'Yesli By Lyubov'' appears as song 15 of 30 in semi-final 1 (and we have a theoretically 2/3 chance of qualifying as we have enough entries to have 20 qualifiers per semi again, hooray!)

+Quote this post
Brer
post 11th June 2019, 01:48 PM
Post #305
Group icon

Persephonian News Bulletin ~ 11/06/2019

Your Best of BJSC II summary

The results of last year's sequel to the Your Best of BJSC spinoff, held in Taahino, finally took place last night and it was worth the wait for Persephonian audiences as our entry, Kito & Reija Lee's remix of Spor's 'Pacifica', greatly exceeded expectations to finish in 4th place out of 39 with 180 points. That meant it outdid its finish in BJSC 52 by a cool 20 places, not bad xxx The Persephonian BJSC Committee has long thought this entry was a little before its time and it seems we were right as it got 102 of those points from countries that didn't exist yet at the time of BJSC 52 (or were in the middle of a long hiatus in Quintessa's case), including all three of the medal positions it picked up (a full 18 from our baes in Jadakissnia and 13 points each from Beaverdonia and Cowtermont), as well as receiving a combined 28 points from Cadelicia, Fljótavík and Séyetana who all snubbed it in the original contest. 18 countries voted for us in all. This marks our third 4th place finish in BJSC spinoffs, in addition to three 5th place finishes, while still yet to ever crack the top 3 (excluding BJFestivalen) - one day!!1 - and is an improvement on our 14th and 12th place finishes in the original YBO spinoff and YBO - The Rejects respectively.

We were in great company in the top 5, all of which received at least 9 points from us. The winner was Jadakissnia who achieved their 4th spinoff victory (arguably the first entirely legit one, as they won Dance Anthems 00s and Worldvision I due to the songs that received the most points in those spinoffs getting deductions while their third win in the BuzzJack 10th Anniversary contest is not 'officially' regarded as a spinoff) with ONUKA's 'Time' on a nice round 200 points, improving on its 9th place finish in Persephonia-hosted BJSC 75. The others in the top 3 also did much better than on their original appearances - it was yet another 2nd place finish for Terra Avium with 186 points for Two Steps From Hell's 'Miracles' which originally came 12th in BJSC 76, while Aeroche came 3rd on 183 points with Data Romance's 'She's Been High', originally 11th also in BJSC 52 (a high value contest in this spinoff it seems). The only one of the top 5 that came top 5 the first time around as well was 'Resonate' by Avec Sans which came in 5th here with 170 points, one place short of where it finished in BJSC 79.

Ricki-Lee's 'Mirage' came 6th for Unovia, 2 places higher than it originally managed in BJSC 83, while FARC came 7th with the 7th Heaven Club Mix of 'Air It All Out' by Paulini which originally came 2nd in BJSC 73. The rest of the top 10 was filled out by 3 more songs achieving top 10 justice after missing out the first time. Flynnonda came 8th with Tame Impala's ''Cause I'm A Man' (23rd in BJSC 76), St. Burbia 9th with Jorja Smith's 'Blue Lights' (also 23rd in BJSC 82) and hosts Taahino nabbed 10th place with Beautiful Bodies' 'Capture & Release' (14th in BJSC 85, one of their many top 20 hits prior to finally making the top 10 in the main contest).

Full Persephonian rankings for Your Best of BJSC II

Points awarded:
18 Séyetana // Nao Hiiragi - Requiem (Stygia Bootleg)
15 Quintessa // Avec Sans - Resonate
13 Terra Avium // Two Steps From Hell - Miracles

12 South Danaelanda // KSHMR - Jammu
11 Aeroche // Data Romance - She's Been High
10 Hendinia // Max Elto - Shadow Of The Sun
9 Jadakissnia // ONUKA - Time
8 Trifoski // Gazelle Twin - Belly Of The Beast
7 Flynnonda // Tame Impala - 'Cause I'm A Man
6 Aelandor // Sśur - Pass Out

5 Fljótavík // Ludovico Einaudi - Experience (Starkey Remix)
4 Cor Lupus // Five Knives - Savages
3 PRoJ // East India Youth - DRIPPING DOWN
2 Aesthetica // Wonder Girls - I Feel You
1 Cowtermont // REZZ - Relax

16th-38th:
Dobago // T2Kazuya - Youth
Niceland // Torul - Monday
Ojnoj // Solange - Cosmic Journey (feat. Bilal)
Lotunia // Ágy - Arvedávgi
Jupiterdonia // Tunde Olaniran - Namesake
Utopia // PNAU - Embrace (feat. Ladyhawke)
FSR Rontvia // Blänk - I'm Going For Your Brother (feat. Young Ivy)
St. Burbia // Jorja Smith - Blue Lights
Hushkanukia // Sumera - Wolf
Summericia // Keys&Cages - Invisible
Beaverdonia // Skit Box - ACTIVEWEAR
Cadelicia // About The Girl - We Have To Talk
FARC // Paulini - Air It All Out (7th Heaven Club Mix)
Holland-Oats // Morgan Saint - YOU
Harmonica // Coasts - A Rush Of Blood
Wholune // Deco - Chances
Taahino // Beautiful Bodies - Capture & Release
Unovia // Ricki-Lee - Mirage
République d'Ashton // ZZ Ward - Put The Gun Down
New Lexico // Lilit Hovhannisyan - Armenian Girl
Daehun // IU - Good Day
Altyr Muunilinst // Gareth Emery and Alastor - Hands (feat. London Thor)
Kluminican Republic // Kiesza - Oops

And with the eventual conclusion of that spinoff, and the arrival of Pride Month 2019, we can finally move onto another new spinoff (the first of the year), also being held in Taahino...

BJSC Pride II

omg, this x100

+Quote this post
Brer
post 8th August 2019, 10:42 PM
Post #306
Group icon

Persephonian News Bulletin ~ 08/08/2019
[1/4]

Not to be for MIRČLE

Persephonia's qualification streak was halted at 2 again as our entry for BJSC 115 in Oslol, MIRČLE's 'Yesli By Lyubov'', unfortunately fell short of the final, becoming our 24th DNQ to date and second of the year, as it didn't manage to appeal quite as widely as we hoped it would. The song finished 23rd out of 30 in semi-final 1 with 36 points (losing a tiebreak for 22nd, but a sizeable 13 points behind the lowest qualifier from the semi-final). 7 countries voted for 'Yesli By Lyubov'' including two medal positions - 10 points from biggest supporters Espen and 8 from Aeroche - plus 7 each from Deandria and Fljótavík, 2 from East Rukahavian and a single point apiece from Arcodesia and Hushkanukia (the latter being the only point we got from the poppier countries we were hoping to reach out to, oops xx). At least it wasn't as bad a DNQ as 'Roof'. The longest qualification streaks continued once again, Aeroche and Cor Lupus making it to 29 and St. Burbia to 16.

Sadly as well as our own entry missing out, we also lost our 12 pointer from semi-final 1, as Unge Ferrari still couldn't catch a break DNQing again with 'Balkong', the second time he's missed out while representing Tinnmark (both great songs and all). Our only other loss from our votes was our 1 pointer, Wholune's Dream Wife with 'Fire'. Only one of our top 10 from semi-final 2 missed out but it was a big surprise to us to see Flight Facilities' 'All Your Love' (feat. Dustin Tebbutt), Harmonica's entry, be that one (we ranked it 4th).

BJSC 115 summary

- to be added eventually hopefully xo

Full Persephonian rankings for BJSC 115

Final

Points awarded:
18 Quintessa // Weyes Blood - Movies
15 Dobago // Prospa - Prayer
13 Deandria // mind.in.a.box - Change

12 Greenfroze // SOFI TUKKER and Bomba Estéreo - Playa Grande
11 Rolloland // Menke - Moln
10 FSR Rontvia // Swim Deep - To Feel Good
9 Skall // Orbital - Chime/Crime (Live)
8 Jadakissnia // Yoshitaka Hirota - hazy iii
7 Fljótavík // Cicada - Love Don't Come Easy
6 Terra Avium // Woodkid - On Then And Now (feat. Jennifer Connelly)

5 Unovia // Ingrid Michaelson - Missing You
4 Aeroche // i_o and Tommy Trash - Let Me Go (feat. Daisy Guttridge)
3 Flynnonda // Peggy Gou - Starry Night
2 Scherzland // Midnight Boy - Butterflies
1 Aesthetica // Slayyyter - Alone

16th-42nd:
Hendinia // Initial Talk and ILY - Loving U
Land of DW // Mila - Herzlos
Cadelicia // Phantogram - Into Happiness
Ajanaeda // Ten Tonnes - Better Than Me
Cor Lupus // Swimming Girls - 1 2 Many
Aelandor // BANKS - Warm Water (Snakehips Remix)
Séyetana // Eiko Shimamiya - Naraku No Hana
Taahino // Hot Milk - Awful Ever After
Espen // Everyone You Know - The Drive
Trifoski // Magdalena Bay - Only If You Want It
Florina // Patrick Martin - Stranger Nights
FARC // Barns Courtney - You And I
Vülkyria // Xenomania pts. Paige Cavell - Predators & Monsters
Thelonia // Idolising Nova - Run Away
The Actual Republic of Bellamia // Ashley Tisdale - Symptoms
Hushkanukia // Wiktoria - OMG
Oslol // The Attic - Release Me (feat. Oh Laura)
Jupiterdonia // Armin Van Buuren - Lonely For You (ReOrder Remix) (feat. Bonnie McKee)
Kylienips // Lola Blanc - The Magic
St. Burbia // Glowie - Cruel
Lotunia // Emma Blackery - Third Eye
Ojnoj // CYN - Holy Roller
Budtar // DJ Licious - Naked
Danćviia // Lika Morgan - In Motion
Kluminican Republic // Anna Of The North - Lovers
Altyr Muunilinst // Nathan Dawe - Repeat After Me (feat. Melissa Steel)
UltraME!land // VVAVES - Alive

~

Semi-Final 1

Points awarded:
12 Tinnmark // Unge Ferrari - Balkong
10 Deandria // mind.in.a.box - Change
8 Rolloland // Menke - Moln

7 FSR Rontvia // Swim Deep - To Feel Good
6 Fljótavík // Cicada - Love Don't Come Easy
5 Aeroche // i_o and Tommy Trash - Let Me Go (feat. Daisy Guttridge)
4 Aesthetica // Slayyyter - Alone
3 Hendinia // Initial Talk and ILY - Loving U
2 Aelandor // BANKS - Warm Water (Snakehips Remix)
1 Wholune // Dream Wife - Fire

11th-29th:
Cadelicia // Phantogram - Into Happiness
Ajanaeda // Ten Tonnes - Better Than Me
Cor Lupus // Swimming Girls - 1 2 Many
Břtanikkä // Playahitty - The Summer Is Magic
Arcodesia // Second - 2502
Espen // Everyone You Know - The Drive
Singerpurear // Vangelis - Chung Kuo
Jupiterdonia // Armin Van Buuren - Lonely For You (ReOrder Remix) (feat. Bonnie McKee)
The Actual Republic of Bellamia // Ashley Tisdale - Symptoms
Hushkanukia // Wiktoria - OMG
Florina // Patrick Martin - Stranger Nights
Niceland // Teleman - Between The Rain
St. Burbia // Glowie - Cruel
East Rukahavian // PSICOLOGI - Autostima
Lotunia // Emma Blackery - Third Eye
Holland-Oats // Tones And I - Johnny Run Away
Daehun // Andamiro - Hypnotize (Areia Balkan Version)
Kluminican Republic // Anna Of The North - Lovers
UltraME!land // VVAVES - Alive

DNQed

~

Semi-Final 2 DNQs

4th Harmonica // Flight Facilities - All Your Love (feat. Dustin Tebbutt)
12th Bhangra // Shankar-Ehsaan-Loy, Sadhana Sargam, Sujata Bhattacharya, Udit Narayan and Sonu Nigam - Maahi Ve
14th Republic of Adonia // Mars Argo - Runaway Runaway
16th Tartford // Uniting Nations - Is This Love
19th Alteria // Allez Allez - Sean Connery
20th République d'Áskorza // Elley Duhé - FEVER
23rd Sandénia // Isaac Dunbar - cologne
24th Suedeonia // DADDY - Daddy-Esque
25th Ramrynia // ELM - Fear
26th Yehesi // SVRCINA - Pages

+Quote this post
Brer
Post #307
Group icon

[2/4]

gecgecgecgecgec

With Pride month 2019 rolling around, 2019's first BJSC spinoff finally arrived, with Taahino returning to host a sequel to last year's Pride spinoff. Persephonia's entry to BJSC Pride II, much like our entry to the first one, just happened to walk right into us as it dropped just in time for Pride month (right at the end of May of this year) - it came from California's curiously named 100 gecs, a duo consisting of musicians Dylan Brady and Laura Les (aka osno1), the latter of whom is a transgender woman to qualify for the theme of the spinoff. We discovered them through an eye-catching review of their equally weirdly titled debut album '1000 gecs' on Anthony Fantano's theneedledrop YouTube channel and it was well worth the click. Anyone who appreciated the wacky wildness of this entry we'd fully recommend to give the whole album a listen (particularly the lead single 'money machine' which we also considered sending) as it's a pretty short listen and crams in just about every genre you can imagine. The song we sent was the album's closing track 'gec 2 Ü' which we can best describe as 'post-PC Music', being a mixture of PC Music-esque bubblegum electropop, drum n bass, some pop-punk-esque vocals from Brady at the start and an insane RIP headphone users hardstyle instrumental segment in the final minute. True art. *.* Here's the song:

'gec 2 Ü' was drawn as song 13 of 29 in the spinoff.

BJSC Pride II summary

'gec 2 Ü' delivered us a much better result than in last year's Pride spinoff, coming in 6th out of 29 with 73 points (winning a tiebreak between 6th and 7th which went down to the number of 8s), our 11th top 10 hit in spinoffs to date (12th including BJFestivalen). The song picked up a full 12 points from Terra Avium and Thelonia as well as medal positions from Séyetana (10 points), Jadakissnia and Wholune (8 points each), receiving points from 11 countries in all.

The contest delivered a first spinoff win for Břtanikkä, who hauled 117 points with RuPaul's Drag Race alumnus Blair St. Clair's 'Now Or Never', one of the most popular songs to come out of the show and a very fitting winner. Coming in second place was Danćviia with NIMMO's 'Too Late' on 105 points, while another drag act finished in third, Pabllo Vittar alongside SOFI TUKKER on 'Energia (Parte 2)' which got 101 points for Jupiterdonia (this result coming just after SOFI TUKKER notched up a win in the main contest). Jadakissnia finished 4th with 94 points with AURORA's 'The Seed' and the top 5 was completed by Skall with 77 points for Kim Petras' 'Close Your Eyes', narrowly beating us in the race between transgender artists in the contest.

Losing the tiebreak to us in 7th place was the hosts Taahino with MUNA's 'Number One Fan'. Cor Lupus came 8th with Rina Sawayama's 'Cherry', 9th place went to Hushkanukia (the winners of the first Pride spinoff) with The Veronicas' 'If You Love Someone' and Terra Avium came in 10th with 'Noises' by Pale Waves. Dobago would have finished 6th ahead of us but alas they didn't submit votes, so a 33% deduction pushed their entry, 'At Night (I Think About You)' by MNEK (who came 2nd in the first Pride spinoff) down to 13th.

Full Persephonian rankings for BJSC Pride II

Points awarded:
12 Jupiterdonia // SOFI TUKKER and Pabllo Vittar - Energia (Parte 2)
10 Jadakissnia // AURORA - The Seed
8 Aesthetica // Street Queer - Sweat

7 Thelonia // Boy Sim - Break Ur Heart
6 Taahino // MUNA - Number One Fan
5 Deandria // Lizette Lizette - Non
4 Oslol // CupcakKe - Scraps
3 Dobago // MNEK - At Night (I Think About You)
2 Skall // Kim Petras - Close Your Eyes
1 Břtanikkä // Blair St. Clair - Now Or Never

11th-28th:
Danćviia // NIMMO - Too Late
Lotunia // Aquilo - Calling Me
Wholune // Queen Zee - Loner
Unovia // Monique Heart - Brown Cow Stunning
Quintessa // Antony And The Johnsons - Hope There's Someone
Terra Avium // Pale Waves - Noises
Mosquetania // Vök - Waiting
Buzzjack Mountain // Frankie Goes To Hollywood - Warriors Of The Wasteland
Aeroche // Kelela - LMK
Cadelicia // Jake Germain - Over U
Séyetana // Javiera Mena - Espada
Greenfroze // Queentastic - Drop Dead Gorgeous
Hushkanukia // The Veronicas - If You Love Someone
Cor Lupus // Rina Sawayama - Cherry
Niceland // Theo X - You Don't Wanna Dance
Flynnonda // King Princess - 1950
Suedeonia // The Communards - For A Friend
Vülkyria // DORYAN - Looking For Magic

+Quote this post
Brer
Post #308
Group icon

[3/4]

BJSC 116

whole to the field of fight, whole from the field of fight

Heilung amplify history for BJSC 116

After BJSC 115 winners Greenfroze passed on hosting rights, as did second in line Deandria, Aesthetica were named as the hosts for BJSC 116 though it ended up being mostly taken over by Aeroche due to technical issues. For this, our 95th main contest, we sent the multi-national trio Heilung with 'Othan', the second single from their second studio album 'Futha' released in June of this year. The members of Heilung (whose name is the German word for 'healing') are all from different countries - Denmark, Germany and Norway - but the group seems to mostly be referred to as Danish, by which standard it's our third main contest entry from a Danish act following Kadie Elder in BJSC 54 and Baby Blood in BJSC 90.

Heilung describe their music as 'amplified history', experimental folk music based on ancient texts from Northern Europe. The lyrics of the verses for 'Othan' are taken directly from 'Hávamál', a poem purportedly written by the Norse god Odin and dating back to at least the 13th century. Naturally this means it's another new language in Persephonia's anthology, this time Old West Norse, so we're now up to 19 fully non-English entries (four of them this year alone) in 15 different languages (4 in Russian, 2 in Arabic and 1 each in Atikamekw, Chinese, French, Galician, Icelandic, Japanese, Neapolitan, Old Swedish, Old West Norse, Persian, Slovak, Spanish and a made-up language). The main appeal of this song comes from a hypnotising chant repeated many times throughout it which is apparently a fertility spell: "hariuha laţu laukar gakar alu ole lule laukar". Thus continuing the new aesthetic Persephonia seems to have picked up of songs that make something new out of something old, although in this case it's purposefully performed in such a way that it could be an authentic recording from the Iron Age.

The full version of 'Othan' clocks in at an epic 10 minutes and 18 seconds which would have made it our second longest entry to date, but we made the executive decision to commission a super professional 2 minutes in Audacity edit of the song for the contest which cuts it off at a more digestible 5:51. Not because we have any issue with long songs of course, we just thought that was a better place for the song to end as it build to a natural climax exploding into the verse for a second time and then fading out. In the full version, it proceeds to fade back in and there's another four minutes which are very different to the rest, replacing the pleasant and hypnotising vocals of Maria Franz with a demonic throaty growl from Kai Uwe Faust, we still like the sound of this part but thought it might put some people off and more importantly that it left the song with a less satisfying and climactic ending point as it doesn't really build back up at all after the six minute mark. If that sounds of interest feel free to check out the full version (or this live version, which actually predates the studio version by over a year and was included on their earlier live album 'Lifa', which we also considered sending instead of the studio version to show off the awesome aesthetic of the band complete with using human bones as instruments) but here's the edit we sent to the contest:

'Othan' was drawn as song 10 of 29 in semi-final 2.

Back to the final we go

One day Persephonia will DNQ twice in a row again (as we continue to keep sending risky entries right after DNQs) but that day still hasn't come yet as Heilung made it into the final for us, our 71st finalist and 4th out of a possible 6 in the year to date. Only 6 of our 10 votes in semi-final 2 made it in with us, we were very surprised to see our 8 pointer Danćviia with RIOT's 'Overkill' and our 5 pointer Cowtermont with KLOUD's 'Exit Alive' fail to make it in, though not so much to see Deandria and Séyetana going out with Nite Jewel's '2 Good 2 Be True' and MIYAVI's 'No Sleep Till Tokyo', our 2 and 1 pointers respectively, also falling short. From our top 10 of semi-final 1 another two dropped out, Trifoski with 'Talking Heads' by black midi (ranked 5th for us) and Aelandor who sadly if not shockingly came last in the semi with their own mediaeval folk-flavoured entry 'A Toast To You' by Pagan Fury (which we ranked 10th). As our qualification streak went back up to 1, there was yet again no change at the top of the longest streaks list with Aeroche and Cor Lupus both making it to an insane 30 finals in a row and St. Burbia to 17 as their closest rivals.

BJSC 116 summary

- 'Othan' exceeded our expectations for the contest - we were pleased enough to make the final with what we felt was a rather niche choice, but once we got there it seemed like 16th (the position of the similar entry 'Odal' by Wardruna, Tinnmark's entry to BJSC 88) was maybe the best we could realistically hope for. As it were, it did even better than that, coming extremely close to being our second top 10 hit of the year but settling for 11th out of 38 with 221 points, losing out on a tiebreak for 10th due to receiving fewer votes (22 to 10th place's 26). The silver lining of that frustrating tiebreak loss is that it takes another one off our hitlist of unique positions, we've now had entries finish in every position in the top 6 and every position from 10th to 26th so if we can somehow fill in all of 7th, 8th and 9th we'll complete not only the top 10 but the top 20 as well! 7 of the 22 countries who voted for 'Othan' had it in their top 3 (and top 2 for that matter), with the song receiving full 18s from Dobago (who also joined us in #mediaevalbloc alongside Aelandor this month *.*), Summericia and Terra Avium and 15 points each from Deandria, Lotunia, Skall and Tinnmark. Our last entry to get more medal positions was Life Sim's 'IDL' with 8 of them in BJSC 100 (2 18s, 2 15s and 4 13s), while you'd have to go back to our second and to date last winner 'Habib Galbi' by A-WA in BJSC 74 to find an entry from us that placed in as many countries' top 2s ('Habib Galbi' doing a bit better on that front with 3 18s and 6 15s). Niches come through! The reveal of the semi-final 2 results had a number of curious statistical oddities but we got pretty lucky with the quasi-random outcome of the semi-final, breezing through in 3rd out of 29 with 86 points (our second top 3 finish in a semi-final this year after Baiuca's 'Olvídame' (feat. Aliboria) won its semi-final 3 contests earlier), projecting us to come 10th so more or less spot on.

- rest of summary to be added eventually hopefully xo

Full Persephonian rankings for BJSC 116

Final

Points awarded:
18 Aeroche // Drab Majesty - Ellipsis
15 Jadakissnia // Gleb - Gauč N Bass
13 Terra Avium // Anoice - nothing there (feat. films)

12 Utopia // Cousn - Brain Ticker
11 Dobago // Apocalypse Orchestra - The Garden Of Earthly Delights
10 Espen // Jaewynn - Right Now
9 Skall // Nadia Rose - Skwod
8 Cor Lupus // Tremors - Technicolour
7 Thelonia // Chris Lake - Stay With Me
6 Arcodesia // Etostone - Missing Paradise

5 Flynnonda // Lolo Zouaď - Ride
4 Niceland // Kadebostany - Mind If I Stay
3 République d'Áskorza // LOTTE - Schau Mich Nicht So An
2 Vülkyria // Iveta Mukuchyan - Hayastani Axjikner
1 Budtar // shallou - count on (feat. colin)

16th-37th:
United States of Jack // Kiana Ledé - Bouncin (feat. Offset)
New Lexico // Yola - Faraway Look
Suedeonia // whenyoung - The Others
Taahino // The Regrettes - I Dare You
Fljótavík // Rob Dougan - Furious Angels
Oslol // Havana Brown - Ba*Bing
Altyr Muunilinst // Kideko - What Is It
Unovia // Thandi Phoenix - Cleopatra
Greenfroze // NanowaR Of Steel - Norwegian Reggaeton (feat. Gigatron)
St. Burbia // Loren Gray - Can't Do It (feat. Saweetie)
Hushkanukia // Mahalia - Do Not Disturb
FSR Rontvia // Spacetrain - Salsa Me
Scherzland // Malou Prytz - Left & Right
Brechtoria // Wafia - I'm Good
Cadelicia // BONES UK - Pretty Waste
Lotunia // Hishigdalai - Ghost
The Actual Republic of Bellamia // Seeb, Olivia O'Brien and Space Primates - Fade Out
Quintessa // CHUNG HA - Roller Coaster
Daehun // Tatianna - Hurt My Feelings
Hendinia // Sophia Somajo - Poison
FARC // Dinah Nah - Equivocal
Kylienips // Audien and Echosmith - Favorite Sound

~

Semi-Final 2

Points awarded:
12 Terra Avium // Anoice - nothing there (feat. films)
10 Espen // Jaewynn - Right Now
8 Danćviia // RIOT - Overkill

7 Thelonia // Chris Lake - Stay With Me
6 Cor Lupus // Tremors - Technicolour
5 Cowtermont // KLOUD - Exit Alive
4 République d'Áskorza // LOTTE - Schau Mich Nicht So An
3 Fljótavík // Rob Dougan - Furious Angels
2 Deandria // Nite Jewel - 2 Good 2 Be True
1 Séyetana // MIYAVI - No Sleep Till Tokyo

11th-28th:
Oslol // Havana Brown - Ba*Bing
Suedeonia // whenyoung - The Others
FSR Rontvia // Spacetrain - Salsa Me
Altyr Muunilinst // Kideko - What Is It
St. Burbia // Loren Gray - Can't Do It (feat. Saweetie)
United States of Jack // Kiana Ledé - Bouncin (feat. Offset)
Scherzland // Malou Prytz - Left & Right
Yehesi // ZAZ - On Ira
Land of DW // Dayvi and Víctor Cárdenas - Baila Conmigo (feat. Kelly Ruíz)
Tartford // Raúl Orellana - The Real Wild House
Hushkanukia // Mahalia - Do Not Disturb
Aesthetica // SOMI - BIRTHDAY
Brechtoria // Wafia - I'm Good
Hendinia // Sophia Somajo - Poison
Summericia // Beverly - I Need Your Love
Kylienips // Audien and Echosmith - Favorite Sound
East Rukahavian // SANNI - Frendizone
Tinnmark // Boulevard Des Airs - Allez Reste (feat. Vianney)

DNQed

~

Semi-Final 1 DNQs

5th Trifoski // black midi - Talking Heads
10th Aelandor // Pagan Fury - A Toast To You

14th Florina // Claude Violante - Never Come Back
15th Singerpurear // Jesus Jones - Info Freako
17th Rolloland // 10cc - Feel The Benefit (Parts 1, 2, And 3)
18th Jupiterdonia // Gloria Groove - YoYo (feat. IZA)
19th Harmonica // BENEE - Want Me Back
21st Wholune // Hobo Johnson - Typical Story
24th Buzzjack Mountain // Emerson, Lake & Palmer - Hand Of Truth
27th Ultraviolenceland // unperfect - I'm A Dreamer
28th Republic of Adonia // SAAY - ZGZG

+Quote this post
Brer
Post #309
Group icon

[4/4]

BJSC Worldvision IV

when I come they get upset #zambia

Persephonia turns to the 'King of the South' for Zambia in BJSC Worldvision IV

The second new spinoff of the year, the fourth edition of the always exciting and unpredictable Worldvision, has arrived with Hushkanukia returning as hosts after previously hosting Worldvision II. We've had a history of picking fairly difficult nations from the Worldvision sweepstakes, previously having entries representing Thailand, Malta and the slightly less obscure Austria but we managed to outdo ourselves this time as this edition sees the return of a few countries outside those who have competed in Eurovision and we drew the absolute gem that is the southern African nation of Zambia. Goodnight to our record of being the only country to come top 10 in all editions of Worldvision! (Although never say never xx)

To find a suitable entry to our tastes (most Zambian music easily accessible on the web being either old rock songs that didn't interest us or preachy Christian stuff) we dug through the nominees in the hip-hop categories of Zambian radio station Sun FM's Kwacha Music Awards and we stumbled across a bit of a banger from the self styled 'King of the South' and 'pioneer of Tonga trap' Mainga Mukando aka King Illest, winner of the prestigious award of 'best artist from Southern Province' at the 2018 KMAs. The song, 'Bakalala', which came out in December last year, pairs western trap style production with lyrics in the Tonga language of southern Zambia/northern Zimbabwe, with the title meaning 'upset' or 'angry' as helpfully translated in the YouTube video description (Google Translate sadly doesn't recognise Tonga). We found another great hip-hop song from a Zambian artist while searching as well but that was in English and we wanted to send something a little more native to Zambia, watch out for that one maybe in BJSC 117 though. Until then, take it away King Illest with a somewhat surprisingly high budget looking music video:

'Bakalala' is opening the show, drawn in slot 1 of 34 in the spinoff.

EDIT: we didn't realise it at the time but this contest also saw the return of another Persephonian alumnus! Douster, who we sent in BJSC 33 with his Savage Skulls collaboration 'Bad Gal' (feat. Robyn), made his BJSC return under the new name of King Doudou on Deandria's entry 'La Droga' alongside Cholita Sound (representing Chile). That song was drawn in slot 16.

+Quote this post
Jade
post 8th August 2019, 10:47 PM
Post #310
Group icon
Alone and wounded
Pronouns: She/her
User: 12,810

Well done on the unique position for 'Othan' *.* I'll try and get around to listening to the whole long version kink.gif

MIRČLE deserved more </3

finally - gecgecgecgecgec - omg this!

+Quote this post
Brer
post 26th August 2019, 04:27 PM
Post #311
Group icon

Persephonian News Bulletin ~ 26/08/2019

BJSC 117

BLACK POWER

Sampa The Great hopes to be on form to make the final in BJSC 117

BJSC 117 has kicked off, originally planned to be held in Brechtoria as Aeroche passed on the hosting rights but as circumstances lined up we've ended up being in Aeroche anyway at least for the semi-finals (the Persephonian entourage hopes to still be able to visit Brechtoria for the final). Persephonia's entry this time, our 96th in the main contest, comes from rapper Sampa Tembo aka Sampa The Great, who we discovered while searching for potential entries for the Worldvision spinoff as she too is from Zambia (also raised in Botswana and currently living in Australia). The song, 'Final Form', dropped back in June and was the first single from her forthcoming debut studio album 'The Return'.

'Final Form' is a black empowerment anthem celebrating Sampa's Zambian roots, and heavily utilising brass instrumentation and a sample of the 1973 soul song 'Stay Away From Me' by The Sylvers. It's a very lyrical focused track with only a brief and sparingly used hook (so somewhat similar in structure to J.I.D's 'NEVER' from our past entries) but the storming instrumental and Sampa's effortless flow (reminding us a bit of Little Simz, who she has in fact toured with before so there must be something to that comparison x) are more than enough to ensure it's a compelling listen, we hope this will be the song to break our recent curse of always DNQing when we send female solo artists. It's also accompanied by a very bright and vibrant music video filmed in Zambia and full of native imagery. Have a peep below ~

'Final Form' has been drawn as song 21 of 29 in semi-final 1.

+Quote this post
Brer
post 24th September 2019, 04:48 PM
Post #312
Group icon

Persephonian News Bulletin ~ 24/09/2019
[1/3]

BJSC Worldvision IV summary

As expected we sadly lost our 100% record of top 10 hits in the Worldvision spinoffs this time around with the fourth edition (held in Hushkanukia), although we do maintain a 100% top 20 streak which is better than we expected. Our Zambian representative King Illest with 'Bakalala' came 19th out of 34 for us with 103 points from 14 voters. Only one of those ranked us in their top 3 but that was a full 18 points from Skall, setting the example for you all x in also got double figure points from Jupiterdonia (12), Dobago (11) and Břtanikkä (10) according to the handy results spreadsheet.

The contest had a runaway winner as Unovia won Worldvision for the second time (after clutching the second edition with Italian representative Elisa's 'No Hero'), picking up their fourth spinoff winner in total - this time representing Poland, they raced ahead with Natalia Nykiel's 'Fala' picking up a very impressive 265 points. Miles behind in 2nd with 196 points were Danćviia - the winners of the previous Worldvision - with Alexander Popov's 'Legacy' (feat. Julia Violin) for Russia, while the bronze medal went to Quintessa's Luxembourgish song (and the Persephonian public's fave by far) 'Mapping The Universe' by Mutiny On The Bounty with 181 points. Cor Lupus finally achieved their first top 5 finish in a spinoff coming 4th on 170 points with Paranormal Attack's 'Another Night' (feat. AC Slator) representing Portugal and the top 5 was completed by Fljótavík with Farveblind's 'Wasteful Talk' (feat. Clea) on 169 points representing Belgium.

Taahino and Aeroche came 6th and 7th respectively in Worldvision III and both repeated their positions this time, the former with Latvian song 'Multivitamīnu Multipaka' by Astro'n'out and the latter with 'In The Distance' by Len Sander who returned to Worldvision representing Switzerland for the second time (having also been the Swiss representative for Espen in Worldvision III where they came 14th with the better song 'Mendrake'). Elëdan managed an 8th place finish with Indian representative 'Sage' by Ritviz despite a 33% deduction for not voting (because why would they x), they'd have been 3rd before that. Skall battled through the very unforgiving draw of Liechtenstein to get a 9th place finish with WeltenBrand's 'Bewitched Herds Boys' and Cadelicia went for the much easier choice of the Chase & Status We Just Bought A Guitar Mix of 'Heartbeat' by Nneka, representing Nigeria, to finish 10th. Deandria came in 21st with Cholita Sound and King Doudou's 'La Droga', representing Chile, which we note as we recently discovered this was secretly a Persephonia recycle (King Doudou being an alias of our BJSC 33 entrant Douster).

Full Persephonian rankings for BJSC Worldvision IV

Points awarded:
18 Quintessa // Mutiny On The Bounty - Mapping The Universe
15 Trifoski // Dragan Dautovski Quartet - Balkan
13 Danćviia // Alexander Popov - Legacy (feat. Julia Violin)

12 Elëdan // Ritviz - Sage
11 Thelonia // Harotnica Mix - Viecier
10 Jadakissnia // Camille Saint-Saëns, Christine Walevska, Orchestre National De L'Opéra De Monte-Carlo and Eliahu Inbal - Suite For Cello And Orchestra, Op. 16: 4. Romance (Molto Adagio)
9 Unovia // Natalia Nykiel - Fala
8 Skall // WeltenBrand - Bewitched Herds Boys
7 Rolloland // Anima Sound System - Tedd A Napfényt Be A Számba
6 Land of DW // Birthh - Queen Of Failureland

5 Lotunia // Reniss - La Sauce
4 Flynnonda // NY-ZA - Suyem Seni
3 Cadelicia // Nneka - Heartbeat (Chase & Status We Just Bought A Guitar Mix)
2 Cor Lupus // Paranormal Attack - Another Night (feat. AC Slator)
1 Dobago // Imran Khan - Satisfya

16th-33rd:
Jupiterdonia // Jala Brat and Dado Polumenta - Dominantna
Břtanikkä // 2 Unlimited - The Magic Friend
Séyetana // dArtagnan - Flucht Nach Vorn
Fljótavík // Farveblind - Wasteful Talk (feat. Clea)
Arcodesia // The Last Internationale - Wanted Man
Yehesi // Margaret Berger - Scream
Deandria // Cholita Sound and King Doudou - La Droga
Taahino // Astro'n'out - Multivitamīnu Multipaka
Cowtermont // Beissoul & Einius - Stripless
Kluminican Republic // DakhaBrakha - Yanki
Aeroche // Len Sander - In The Distance
République d'Áskorza // Sirusho - Huh-Hah
Niceland // Rea Garvey - Kiss Me
Republic of Adonia // Mia Borisavljević - Skandal
Wholune // Aloďse Sauvage - Ŕ L'Horizontale
Hushkanukia // GRANT - Catcher In The Rye
Florina // Sophia Patsalides and Kris Shades - Break Up The Silence
Vülkyria // Andreea D - Opa Opa (Bim Bim Bim)

+Quote this post
Brer
Post #313
Group icon

[2/3]

Sampa The Great breaks our female soloist curse to qualify

We managed to make a second final in a row in BJSC 117 with Sampa The Great's 'Final Form' (also the second contest in a row where the original host, this time Brechtoria, ended up not being able to pull through with hosting duties so we had another bailout Aeroche hosting instead) and so avoided being 3 for 3 on DNQing with entries by female solo artists in 2019. Huzzah. This gave us our 72nd finalist to date and 5th out of 7 in 2019 to date. Aeroche, with another auto-qualifier, strolled onto their 31st final in a row while Cor Lupus... ohmy.gif ... also qualified, remaining joint with them as the longest qualification streak. Their lead over the pack became larger as St. Burbia finally faltered and DNQed after 17 qualifiers in a row, leaving FARC as their new closest rivals on 16 consecutive finalists.

From our votes in semi-final 1 only one song failed to make the final with us - our 2 pointer Cowtermont with Dennis Cruz's 'El Sueńo' (feat. Martina Camargo) - but there were more disappointing results from semi-final 2 where the song we ranked 1st there (and our favourite song of the entire contest), Florina's entry 'Back Of The Line' by Dirty Laces, sadly DNQed as did Skall with Jai Paul's 'He' which we had ranked 3rd. We also lost 'Guide' by Denis Kenzo and Kate Miles, representing Danćviia, which we had ranked 8th.

BJSC 117 summary

- Sampa The Great did great things for us... in the first third of the results reveal, as we were right near the top of the leaderboard for quite a while even being the third country to pass 100 points. Alas, turned out that was just because nearly everyone who liked 'Final Form' voted early as it ended up crashing all the way down to 35th out of 38 with a final total of 143 points, thus maintaining our entries by female solo artists being our 3 least successful entries of 2019 position-wise (although it did get more points than Molchat Doma's 'Tancevat' which finished one place higher in BJSC 114). 19 countries voted for us this time including a neat one each of the medal positions: a full 18 points from Utopia, 15 from Espen and 13 from Flynnonda. This won't go down as a Persephonian classic for us so we'll just be happy that we qualified and got to be in the lead for a little bit during the results reveal x 'Final Form' was then revealed to have come 13th out of 29 in semi-final 1 with 58 points, giving it a projected final position of 27th (for what that increasingly useless metric is worth).

- more commentary to be added one day maybe

Full Persephonian rankings for BJSC 117

Final

Points awarded:
18 Aeroche // Boy Harsher - Come Closer
15 Séyetana // 8kids - Dein Zuhause
13 East Rukahavian // Chisu - Ikävä

12 Utopia // salute - All About U
11 Lotunia // Yoko Shimomura - The Other Promise
10 Buzzjack Mountain // Brioni Faith - Skyscrapers (Industrial Mix) (feat. Mr X)
9 Thelonia // Sour - Separate Ways
8 Dobago // EDEN - start//end
7 Espen // Hot Since 82 - Street Lights (feat. Jem Cooke)
6 Brechtoria // Veronica Maggio - Tillfälligheter

5 Fljótavík // Van She - Strangers (Van She Tech Rework)
4 Aelandor // DESERT STAR - Carissa
3 Hendinia // Cosmo's Midnight - Have It All (feat. Age.Sex.Location)
2 Cor Lupus // Jealous Friend - In My Mind
1 Flynnonda // Paradis - Instantané

16th-37th:
Jadakissnia // Rompasso - Ignis
Land of DW // Eluveitie - Ambiramus
Singerpurear // Lene Lovich - Bird Song
Altyr Muunilinst // Chlöe Howl - In The Middle (Sad Banger)
Břtanikkä // Tamia - Stranger In My House (Thunderpuss Club Mix)
Tartford // The Time Frequency - Dreamscape '94
Unovia // Luna - Asia
Arcodesia // Tall Ships - Meditations On Loss
Kluminican Republic // Only Fire - Cruel Summer
Summericia // Ollie Wride - Back To Life
Rolloland // Mass Gothic - Every Night You've Got To Save Me
Aesthetica // Dorian Electra - Flamboyant
FARC // Winona Oak - Break My Broken Heart
Vülkyria // Ridgewalkers - Find (Emitters Remix)
Holland-Oats // Kita Alexander - Between You & I
Oslol // Charming Horses and byMIA - Bad Look
New Lexico // chloe mk - To Be Young
FSR Rontvia // IDER - Swim
Greenfroze // PJ Brennan - 40 Days
The Actual Republic of Bellamia // CXLOE and gnash - SICK
Budtar // Borgeous - Famous (feat. Morgan St. Jean)
Hushkanukia // TRXD - Someone Else

~

Semi-Final 1

Points awarded:
12 Buzzjack Mountain // Brioni Faith - Skyscrapers (Industrial Mix) (feat. Mr X)
10 East Rukahavian // Chisu - Ikävä
8 Lotunia // Yoko Shimomura - The Other Promise

7 Cor Lupus // Jealous Friend - In My Mind
6 Fljótavík // Van She - Strangers (Van She Tech Rework)
5 Hendinia // Cosmo's Midnight - Have It All (feat. Age.Sex.Location)
4 Séyetana // 8kids - Dein Zuhause
3 Land of DW // Eluveitie - Ambiramus
2 Cowtermont // Dennis Cruz - El Sueńo (feat. Martina Camargo)
1 Singerpurear // Lene Lovich - Bird Song

11th-28th:
Cadelicia // GRACEY - If You Loved Me (Georgia Remix)
Břtanikkä // Tamia - Stranger In My House (Thunderpuss Club Mix)
FARC // Winona Oak - Break My Broken Heart
Arcodesia // Tall Ships - Meditations On Loss
Suedeonia // The Lovely Eggs - Wiggy Giggy
Rolloland // Mass Gothic - Every Night You've Got To Save Me
République d'Áskorza // OK KID - Lügenhits
Trifoski // Dutch Uncles - Oh Yeah
Harmonica // Black Atlass - If They Only Knew
Beaverdonia // Manuel Carrasco - Qué Bonito Es Querer
Taahino // State Champs - Criminal
Tinnmark // Matilda - Her Too
Greenfroze // PJ Brennan - 40 Days
Unovia // Luna - Asia
Niceland // The Makemakes - The Beach
Holland-Oats // Kita Alexander - Between You & I
Scherzland // Molly Hammar - Show Me (feat. Kim Cesarion)
Hushkanukia // TRXD - Someone Else

DNQed

~

Semi-Final 2 DNQs

1st Florina // Dirty Laces - Back Of The Line
3rd Skall // Jai Paul - He
8th Danćviia // Denis Kenzo and Kate Miles - Guide
13th Wholune // SWMRS - Lose Lose Lose
14th St. Burbia // Aya Nakamura - Pookie
15th United States of Jack // Bree Runway - Big Racks (feat. Brooke Candy)
19th Quintessa // Sonnfjord - Dust And Shapes
20th Jupiterdonia // Antonia - Touch Me
24th UltraLoverLand // Lisa May - Psycho Girl
25th Daehun // Red Velvet - Umpah Umpah
28th Republic of Adonia // Caroline Polachek - Ocean Of Tears

+Quote this post
Brer
Post #314
Group icon

[3/3]

BJSC 118

her bright dress hides her black heart

Icelandic darkwave from Kćlan Mikla for BJSC 118

BJSC 118 is now underway with a joint hosting effort from last month's top 2 (our great allies Jadakissnia - finally nabbing that win with the first entry of theirs that we didn't vote for, typical! - are due to host the final but for now The Actual Republic of Bellamia are handling the semi-finals, and let's hope Aeroche won't have to step in to host for a third contest in a row xx). Our 97th main contest entry was always going to come from Icelandic all-female trio Kćlan Mikla after we discovered them but we had to think a little which song to go for. In the end we plumped for 'Draumadís', a track from their November 2018 third studio album 'Nótt Eftir Nótt', which got a music video in January of this year. This provides our 5th main contest entry to date by an Icelandic artist (7th including spinoffs, matching our number of Swedish entrants as the highest non-UK/US nationality).

'Draumadís' - helpfully translated to 'Nymph Of Dreams' in the YouTube description along with a full translation of the lyrics so I don't have to rely on Google Translate - is our second fully Icelandic language entry after Aron Can's 'Međ Mér' from BJSC 86 (with BJSC 26 entry 'Animal Arithmetic' by Jónsi also containing some Icelandic lyrics) so that language joins Russian (four) and Arabic (two) as non-English languages we've sent more than once. It's our landmark 20th fully foreign language entry from 15 different languages, and our fifth foreign language entry of the year. Kćlan Mikla's earlier material was genre tagged as 'poetry punk' and they've certainly carried over the poetry aspect as the lo-fi vocals are more like a dark witchy incantation than song lyrics, however since that first album they've embraced synths more and are now considered a darkwave / 'synth-punk' act. This song in particular features an absolutely killer dark synth line throughout. The music video, linked below, complements the dark vibe of the sound and lyrics perfectly depicting what looks like some kind of satanic ritual. It's an early Halloween anthem from us this month! This is our favourite of our entries so far this year so we hope it'll find a decent audience (and if anyone is so inclined we'd also recommend checking out... the entire 'Nótt Eftir Nótt' album really but especially the songs 'Nćturblóm', 'Hvernig Kemst Ég Upp?' and 'Nornalagiđ' as well as their most popular song 'Kalt' from their earlier self-titled album, if you particularly like this one x).

'Draumadís' has been drawn as song 23 of 30 in semi-final 2. In this semi with us is another Persephonian alumnus, our BJSC 52 entrant Spor making another appearance under his more common alias of Feed Me with 'Feel Love' (feat. Rosie Doonan), the semi-final opener representing Cowtermont.

+Quote this post
Brer
post 6th October 2019, 11:34 PM
Post #315
Group icon

Persephonian News Bulletin ~ 07/10/2019

Kćlan Mikla have a great cool qualifier

Kćlan Mikla's 'Draumadís' got through to the final of BJSC 118 for us (thankfully, as what would even be a Jadakissnia hosted final without a Persephonian entrant in it?) increasing our qualification streak to 3, giving us a 6th qualifier out of a possible 8 in 2019 to date and our 73rd finalist to date in all. The reveal of the semi-final results this month had the bombshell that Aeroche's Q streak apparently would have ended this time if not for a couple of non-voters in their semi-final... but as it were they did make it through to a 32nd final in a row, as did Cor Lupus, maintaining their joint stranglehold on #1 on the qualification streak list ahead of third placed FARC who marched onto a 17th straight final.

It was sad times from our votes in semi-final 2 as our 12 pointer, Deandrian entry 'Sabza Ba Naz (The Triumph Of Love)' by Niyaz was among the songs to fall short of the final. We also lost two other votes, our 6 pointer from Quintessa (PONGO's 'Kassussa') and our 3 pointer from Taahino (The Big Moon's 'Your Light'), the latter in particular being quite a surprising DNQ for us. The results of the other semi weren't much better as 4 of the songs ranked in the Persephonian public's top 10 DNQed: Jupiterdonia with Delain's 'Masters Of Destiny' (3rd for us), Utopia with beabadoobee's 'She Plays Bass' (5th), St. Burbia with Amrit Maan's 'Mithi Mithi' (feat. Jasmine Sandlas) (6th, and not a surprising DNQ although was a shame to see it come dead last) and Harmonica with Joseph's 'Fighter' (10th).

BJSC 118 summary

- We didn't live up to the high expectations we had for 'Draumadís' when we first stumbled across it but also didn't entirely embarrass itself as it came in 22nd out of 42 for us with 157 points from 21 voters, just ranking in the top half of our successes of the year to date. BJSC is clearly not as appreciative of a good dark song as it should be (see also Aeroche's result last month and this month). Sadly it didn't manage to pick up any 18s but did rank in the medal positions for three nations, its biggest supporters being Séyetana and Suedeonia who both gave it 15 points while it also got 13 from Espen, and it fell just short of the medals for five other countries, picking up 12 points each from Arcodesia, Beaverdonia, Jadakissnia, Kylienips and Terra Avium. Thanks to those and the others who backed us this month! 'Draumadís' also turned out to not be the most secure qualifier ever, still a safe-ish 12th out of 30 in semi-final 2 (with 67 points, 16 more than the highest DNQ) but we were certainly hoping it'd have done much better in what seemed like a really fortunate semi-final draw, alas semi-final logic never seems to pan out these days!

- more commentary to be added one day maybe

Full Persephonian rankings for BJSC 118

Final

Points awarded:
18 Arcodesia // God Is An Astronaut - Echoes
15 Jadakissnia // Active Child - All Eyes On You
13 Espen // DEVILNOTCRY - NotEnoughOfYou

12 Wholune // The Band CAMINO - Something To Hold On To
11 Beaverdonia // The HU - Yuve Yuve Yu
10 Břtanikkä // Ayla - Angelfalls (Elemental Force)
9 Ultraviolenceland // Lucy Daydream - You.
8 Summericia // Covenant - Dead Stars
7 The Actual Republic of Bellamia // Lewis Blissett - Killing Butterflies
6 Trifoski // Moses Sumney - Rank & File

5 Aeroche // MXMS - Gravedigger
4 Terra Avium // The Snake Charmer - Nageena (Siren Of The Sands)
3 Cowtermont // Feed Me - Feel Love (feat. Rosie Doonan)
2 Oslol // Bjřrn Olav Edvardsen and Arcteec - Mountains
1 Skall // Korallreven - The Highest State Of Grace

16th-41st:
Séyetana // PinocchioP - I'm Glad You're Evil Too
Rolloland // UNKLE - Lonely Soul (feat. Richard Ashcroft)
Vülkyria // Antony & Cleopatra - Why Don't You Just Call Me
Hendinia // I Am Boleyn - Too Much (F9 Club Edit)
Danćviia // Croatia Squad - Ven Pa Ca
Fljótavík // Jenny Hval - Ashes To Ashes
Lotunia // Charlotte Lawrence - Why Do You Love Me
Altyr Muunilinst // Boston Bun - Don't Wanna Dance
Cor Lupus // Hanne Mjřen - Strangers
Sergeistan // Zivert - Beverly Hills
Singerpurear // Paul Kalkbrenner - No Goodbye
Scherzland // Gemini Rising - Speed Of Sound
Kluminican Republic // KSHMR, B3nte and Badjack - The Spook Returns
Hushkanukia // Marion Raven - We Are W.I.T.C.H.
FSR Rontvia // Lily Moore - Over You
New Lexico // September - Ađeins Nćr Ţér (feat. Birgitta Haukdal)
FARC // NAATIONS - Air & Water
Kylienips // Au/Ra - Dance In The Dark
Niceland // Lola Marsh - Echoes
Suedeonia // Shakespears Sister and Richard Hawley - When She Finds You
Thelonia // Ben Gold - The City Sleeps Tonight
Greenfroze // EVERGLOW - Adios
Ojnoj // Indiana - My Friends Don't Like You
Tartford // Otto Knows - About You
République d'Áskorza // Lena and Nico Santos - Better
Holland-Oats // Jordie Ireland - Throw Away My Number (feat. Riley Biederer)

~

Semi-Final 2

Points awarded:
12 Deandria // Niyaz - Sabza Ba Naz (The Triumph Of Love)
10 Summericia // Covenant - Dead Stars
8 Espen // DEVILNOTCRY - NotEnoughOfYou

7 Beaverdonia // The HU - Yuve Yuve Yu
6 Quintessa // PONGO - Kassussa
5 Trifoski // Moses Sumney - Rank & File
4 Terra Avium // The Snake Charmer - Nageena (Siren Of The Sands)
3 Taahino // The Big Moon - Your Light
2 Wholune // The Band CAMINO - Something To Hold On To
1 Séyetana // PinocchioP - I'm Glad You're Evil Too

11th-29th:
Oslol // Bjřrn Olav Edvardsen and Arcteec - Mountains
Aelandor // Masego - Navajo
Skall // Korallreven - The Highest State Of Grace
Cowtermont // Feed Me - Feel Love (feat. Rosie Doonan)
Kluminican Republic // KSHMR, B3nte and Badjack - The Spook Returns
Cor Lupus // Hanne Mjřen - Strangers
East Rukahavian // BESS - Pidä Musta Kii
Cadelicia // AMA - Crystal
Sergeistan // Zivert - Beverly Hills
Danćviia // Croatia Squad - Ven Pa Ca
Niceland // Lola Marsh - Echoes
Thelonia // Ben Gold - The City Sleeps Tonight
Suedeonia // Shakespears Sister and Richard Hawley - When She Finds You
New Lexico // September - Ađeins Nćr Ţér (feat. Birgitta Haukdal)
Ojnoj // Indiana - My Friends Don't Like You
Enty // Two Feet - Pink
Dobago // Fabrizio Parisi and MiYan - Sunbeams (feat. Belonoga)
Tinnmark // Fasion - FEELINS
Daehun // Ailee - U & I

DNQed

~

Semi-Final 1 DNQs

3rd Jupiterdonia // Delain - Masters Of Destiny
5th Utopia // beabadoobee - She Plays Bass
6th St. Burbia // Amrit Maan - Mithi Mithi (feat. Jasmine Sandlas)
10th Harmonica // Joseph - Fighter

14th Land of DW // Szabó Balázs Bandája - Hétköznapi (feat. Julie Rens)
16th United States of Jack // Becky G - Secrets
17th Unovia // Illy - Then What
19th Flynnonda // Waterparks - Dream Boy
22nd Aesthetica // Niki And Gabi - hair tie
27th Budtar // GATTÜSO and Damon Sharpe - When In Rome

+Quote this post
m
post 7th October 2019, 05:37 AM
Post #316
Group icon
I asked for my account to be banned
User: 7,132

Random observation lawl

As many as 4 of our semi points were exactly the same - 10 Summericia, 6 Quintessa, 2 Wholune, 1 Séyetana. I believe I also noticed having the same 3 or 4 with someone in the final but yeah, #unimportantfacts but just caught my eye. (I approve of that 12 too tho, thank you cool.gif)

+Quote this post
Brer
post 10th October 2019, 09:56 PM
Post #317
Group icon

QUOTE(Mattias @ Oct 7 2019, 06:37 AM) *
Random observation lawl

As many as 4 of our semi points were exactly the same - 10 Summericia, 6 Quintessa, 2 Wholune, 1 Séyetana. I believe I also noticed having the same 3 or 4 with someone in the final but yeah, #unimportantfacts but just caught my eye. (I approve of that 12 too tho, thank you cool.gif)

Oh my :cheeseblock: I live for these kind of random observations xx (interestingly Wholune ended up getting more points from me in the final than Summericia tho thinking.gif)

+Quote this post
Brer
post 10th October 2019, 09:58 PM
Post #318
Group icon

BJSC 119

I took your heart

(Persephonia does not endorse the violence portrayed in this and our previous music video, it's just a coincidence x)

edit: we changed our entry

+Quote this post
Jade
post 10th October 2019, 10:03 PM
Post #319
Group icon
Alone and wounded
Pronouns: She/her
User: 12,810

Pepper & Piano response song? xo

Happy that normality was restored in 118 to the point where Kćlan Mikla may or may not feature in my personal chart also ohmy.gif

+Quote this post
Cameron
post 15th October 2019, 05:13 PM
Post #320
Group icon
THE BLAZE *.*
User: 18,061

Is Queen Ashley Allen finally unbanned from Persephonia?

+Quote this post

17 Pages V  « < 14 15 16 17 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 24th April 2024, 06:04 PM