BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Eurovision's 60th Anniversary Conference, 24th April | Watch it all on Eurovision.tv
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Ryan.
post 24th April 2015, 10:55 AM
Post #1
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 12,608

The second part of the 60th anniversary celebration is ongoing now, with the special conference happening throughout today in London. It is all being streamed on Eurovision.tv, I've just tuned into some now and it's all very interesting!

Full agenda: http://www3.ebu.ch/files/live/sites/ebu/fi...ce%20Agenda.pdf
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
AdamAloud
post 24th April 2015, 04:25 PM
Post #2
Group icon
I was born 7 million years ago in Sweden, Africa
User: 11,955

Caught most of this, this afternoon and it was quite interesting! In particular learning that in Iceland last year, the grand final got 99% of the viewing share! Granted that's only 200,000 viewers, but still impressive.

And of course Conchita was fabulous!

+Quote this post
LexC
post 24th April 2015, 06:15 PM
Post #3
Group icon
Attack Dog/Sass Queen
User: 5,342

Is any of this able to watch again? Sounds like a lot of it was really interesting!

+Quote this post
p a v
post 24th April 2015, 07:02 PM
Post #4
Group icon
thanks for being a sarcy lil bitch
User: 4,397

If I understood your Mexinglish correctly... it's on youtube. ;D

+Quote this post
Ryan.
post 24th April 2015, 07:59 PM
Post #5
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

It's on Eurovision.tv's web player here as well! I'm just going to start watching it all the way through now (I only caught 30 minutes or so earlier), can't wait for what is going to be a 7 hours Eurovision lecture - if only Universities actually taught this! laugh.gif

+Quote this post
ScottyEm
post 24th April 2015, 10:44 PM
Post #6
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 519

My lecturer from Uni is on here - interesting stuff although of course I'll be watching in bitesize chunks.

+Quote this post
Ryan.
post 25th April 2015, 05:29 PM
Post #7
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

I've just finished watching everything, incredibly fascinating series of lectures and discussions. I found Karen's first lecture and her contributions in the final two sessions very interesting, I'd love to hear more from her in the future. I loved Dave Benton's small contributions in his discussion too.

To pick up on a few points that have stuck in my head at this stage, I found the small discussion about the booing of Russia with Jon Ola and Pernille (and others) very interesting. Jon Ola mentioned how he saw the Tolmachevy Sisters crying their hearts out in the Green Room last year and there is no place for it, and Pernille called the booing 'embarassing'. I have to say that I'm very pleased they have taken this stance, and while I completely understand everyone's frustrations around Russia's laws and situation (the seriousness of which has really struck me recently thanks to Reggie Yates' Extreme Russia documentaries) I don't agree that the fans in the arena should boo in such a way that they did to the Sisters last year and also to Dima in London a few weeks ago (the latter was particularly appalling as it was meant to be a celebratory event). Of course, we all know it's probably going to be even worse next month for Polina and I don't know what they can do about it but I'd much rather see a muted applause or the waving of rainbow flags than the horrible booing we saw last year.

Another interesting point was the late discussion on commercial success of Eurovision winners. I do feel whenever this topic comes up anywhere, Lena is done a great disservice. Loreen is always seen as the benchmark in recent years, but I feel Lena has had more long-term success than Loreen has - 'Satellite' was just about as big as 'Euphoria' was (except in the UK due to release issues) and Lena has been successful for three albums now (and possibly a fourth) in Germany, Austria and Switzerland.

Finally, another late discussion point that was raised by the lecturer from the University of Vienna was that he felt the fact that Slovakia wasn't participating this year was a much bigger issue than the introduction of Australia. It's a shame there wasn't time for him to expand but he mentioned that none of his students had been to Bratislava just 90 minutes away, and that was very shocking to me. I find it hard to believe if I lived in London and Paris was situated where Birmingham is, I wouldn't go there. Is there some tensions between Austria and Slovakia, I'm interested to find out more between the relationships of these two cities.

+Quote this post
Jack89
post 27th April 2015, 09:58 PM
Post #8
Group icon
Eurovision Chat
User: 84

QUOTE(Ryan. @ Apr 25 2015, 06:29 PM) *
I've just finished watching everything, incredibly fascinating series of lectures and discussions. I found Karen's first lecture and her contributions in the final two sessions very interesting, I'd love to hear more from her in the future. I loved Dave Benton's small contributions in his discussion too.

To pick up on a few points that have stuck in my head at this stage, I found the small discussion about the booing of Russia with Jon Ola and Pernille (and others) very interesting. Jon Ola mentioned how he saw the Tolmachevy Sisters crying their hearts out in the Green Room last year and there is no place for it, and Pernille called the booing 'embarassing'. I have to say that I'm very pleased they have taken this stance, and while I completely understand everyone's frustrations around Russia's laws and situation (the seriousness of which has really struck me recently thanks to Reggie Yates' Extreme Russia documentaries) I don't agree that the fans in the arena should boo in such a way that they did to the Sisters last year and also to Dima in London a few weeks ago (the latter was particularly appalling as it was meant to be a celebratory event). Of course, we all know it's probably going to be even worse next month for Polina and I don't know what they can do about it but I'd much rather see a muted applause or the waving of rainbow flags than the horrible booing we saw last year.

Another interesting point was the late discussion on commercial success of Eurovision winners. I do feel whenever this topic comes up anywhere, Lena is done a great disservice. Loreen is always seen as the benchmark in recent years, but I feel Lena has had more long-term success than Loreen has - 'Satellite' was just about as big as 'Euphoria' was (except in the UK due to release issues) and Lena has been successful for three albums now (and possibly a fourth) in Germany, Austria and Switzerland.

Finally, another late discussion point that was raised by the lecturer from the University of Vienna was that he felt the fact that Slovakia wasn't participating this year was a much bigger issue than the introduction of Australia. It's a shame there wasn't time for him to expand but he mentioned that none of his students had been to Bratislava just 90 minutes away, and that was very shocking to me. I find it hard to believe if I lived in London and Paris was situated where Birmingham is, I wouldn't go there. Is there some tensions between Austria and Slovakia, I'm interested to find out more between the relationships of these two cities.

I totally agree with the Lena point - I don't understand why she is constantly overlooked. Would be interesting to compare hers an Loreens various post Eurovision sales figures.

I do think a few points at the conference were more coincidental than anything but all round very interesting with lots of good points!
Re the Slovakia question - it's hard to understand what he is getting at? Considering they've only taken part 7 times and the viewing figures were low, that is probably the reason they aren't taking part. More than likely see it as a waste of money/ energy when there is no public appetite. I guess the nation could feel rejected because they always do quite badly but then again lots of countries do badly repeatedly! And as far as I'm aware Slovakia is very pro EU with an integrated Outlook and friendly with member countries so I can't see there being any anti euro tensions making them not want to take part. Maybe they don't feel like they have anything to prove anymore or need to showcase themselves on a European stage for recognition like they did after their independence in 1993 and eurovision debut in 1994. I think this is just an academic trying to find an additional reason that isn't there... But maybe I'm wrong ;p
However I have been to Bratislava and it's odd that Austrians aren't visiting but maybe people that live in Vienna want to travel further afield for a holiday and dont ever have a need to pop across... Eg I've never been to Scotland but I've been to lots of mainland European countries.

+Quote this post

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 24th April 2024, 07:53 AM